edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    vintem wrote: »
    cbrook29 wrote: »
    Yeah MFP has me at a lot higher sugar. Fruit has fiber (typically) and other vitamins and is processed by the body differently than say High Frutose Corn Syrup. The body metabolizes these different sugars differently. Of course anything in abundance is bad. Fiber delays the delivery of Frutose to the liver. This is why I stopped drinking juice. The juice alone doesn't have the fiber. I think processed foods with sugar like Cola are far worse for you, simply keep eating fruit - just in moderation.

According to this post, all sugars are processed the same
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
    I didn't read it, but a lot of people think that all sugars are digested in exactly the same way. They say it all the time. They don't understand the digestive system at all. Of course different sugars are digested differently. Because they're different, lol.
    They have different components and will, of course, be broken down differently.

Digestion really doesn't make a ton of difference. The effect on your weight isn't about how it's digested. It's about how much sugar you take in. It's about the calories.

When you're losing weight, you want all the nutrition you can get for as few calories as you can. Keeps you healthy, let's you stay full. So, it makes some sense to take your sugar from fruit, which gives you nutrients you need.

If you don't want to eat any sugar, that's your choice and I won't argue it. Everyone has to do what works for them.

But you can eat your fruit if you want to. For an otherwise healthy person, fruit won't hurt.

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

just because you want to believe that does not make it so.
    I suspect that we have studied different things. Why don't you educate me? Compare the digestion of milk, peaches and cake frosting in detail. Don't single out just sugars, but do make sure to explain how all the sugars are identical and broken down in the same way.

I do love it when you educate us all.

So you start with a diatribe about the digestion of sugars in a vacuum, then when countered on your point change your position and now want a lesson on the digestion of complex foods. This encapsulates what makes having an informed, intelligent conversation with you an impossibility.

Glucose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Fructose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Sucrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Dextrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. By now, you should notice a trend.

I suspect that he will now think that different sugars might be different.

It wasn't a diatribe. I just know that people are forever saying that all sugars are identical and processed in exactly the same way. I admit that it's said. I don't generally say, "Well, no, different sugars are actually different" because it doesn't matter. But on the flip side, I cannot agree that they're all identical when they aren't.
    Do you disagree with this: "All carbohydrates, whether sugars or starches, are digested in the intestine to form glucose, which is transported around the body via the blood and taken into cells to be converted into energy"?

Some of the work of digestion is subcontracted to other parts of the body, but in the end, you have a bunch of glucose, yes.

Is all fiber digested? They said no. Now they found that some they thought didn't break down is at least partially digested. So, I guess we can't say all carbs because nobody knows either way what is going on with fiber.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yeah MFP has me at a lot higher sugar. Fruit has fiber (typically) and other vitamins and is processed by the body differently than say High Frutose Corn Syrup. The body metabolizes these different sugars differently. Of course anything in abundance is bad. Fiber delays the delivery of Frutose to the liver. This is why I stopped drinking juice. The juice alone doesn't have the fiber. I think processed foods with sugar like Cola are far worse for you, simply keep eating fruit - just in moderation.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
    I didn't read it, but a lot of people think that all sugars are digested in exactly the same way. They say it all the time. They don't understand the digestive system at all. Of course different sugars are digested differently. Because they're different, lol.

Digestion really doesn't make a ton of difference. The effect on your weight isn't about how it's digested. It's about how much sugar you take in. It's about the calories.

When you're losing weight, you want all the nutrition you can get for as few calories as you can. Keeps you healthy, let's you stay full. So, it makes some sense to take your sugar from fruit, which gives you nutrients you need.

If you don't want to eat any sugar, that's your choice and I won't argue it. Everyone has to do what works for them.

But you can eat your fruit if you want to. For an otherwise healthy person, fruit won't hurt.

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I suspect that we have studied different things. Why don't you educate me? Compare the digestion of milk, peaches and cake frosting in detail. Don't single out just sugars, but do make sure to explain how all the sugars are identical and broken down in the same way.

So you start with a diatribe about the digestion of sugars in a vacuum, then when countered on your point change your position and now want a lesson on the digestion of complex foods. This encapsulates what makes having an informed, intelligent conversation with you an impossibility.

Glucose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Fructose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Sucrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Dextrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. By now, you should notice a trend.

It wasn't a diatribe. I just know that people are forever saying that all sugars are identical and processed in exactly the same way. I admit that it's said. I don't generally say, "Well, no, different sugars are actually different" because it doesn't matter. But on the flip side, I cannot agree that they're all identical when they aren't.
    Do you disagree with this: "All carbohydrates, whether sugars or starches, are digested in the intestine to form glucose, which is transported around the body via the blood and taken into cells to be converted into energy"?

Some of the work of digestion is subcontracted to other parts of the body, but in the end, you have a bunch of glucose, yes.
    So is your argument supposed to be based on the fact that different enzymes, etc. are involved in forming the glucose? If so, why does that matter since it's the glucose that the body uses? If not, what is your argument, exactly?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I suspect that you are now tired from back pedaling. The only time different sugars are different is if the body has an intolerance, which doesn't happen often. Regardless of the source, once your body receives a sugar, it processes it exactly the same way, which is what has been said repeatedly, and which is when you usually jump in and have some argument to the contrary.
    Would you to explain how cake frosting, milk and a peach are digested?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I suspect that you are now tired from back pedaling. The only time different sugars are different is if the body has an intolerance, which doesn't happen often. Regardless of the source, once your body receives a sugar, it processes it exactly the same way, which is what has been said repeatedly, and which is when you usually jump in and have some argument to the contrary.

Can you explain why you never stay on topic and move the goalposts in every thread making an informed, intelligent conversation with you an impossibility?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

so now you want to play the same game with me? We go from talking about the sugar, to talking about the entire food source? Sorry, that's not how this works.
  • Kalikel
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

So is your argument supposed to be based on the fact that different enzymes, etc. are involved in forming the glucose? If so, why does that matter since it's the glucose that the body uses? If not, what is your argument, exactly?
    I am not making an argument. There is no hidden point, no agenda. The OP says someone else said that all sugar is the same and processed identically. I can't say, "That's true" because I know better. I don't normally point it out or bring it up because there is no point and, like I said, it doesn't matter as far as weight loss goes.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Where'd that 21 g come from? MFP gives me 77. If it came from your doctor, discuss with him/her.

It is based on your calorie limit. 15% I believe.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I am not making an argument. There is no hidden point, no agenda. The OP says someone else said that all sugar is the same and processed identically. I can't say, "That's true" because I know better. I don't normally point it out or bring it up because there is no point and, like I said, it doesn't matter as far as weight loss goes.
    So is your position supposed to be based on the fact that different enzymes, etc. are involved in forming the glucose? If so, why does that matter since it's the glucose that the body uses? If not, what is your position, exactly?

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

Frosting, milk, and peaches are actually foods with different macros and micros. Neither frosting, milk, or peaches are sugar.

Just wanted to let you know, for future reference. It's nice to know random trivia like that. Conversation starters, ya know.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have a 45g/day limit on sugar. I eat most of my sugar from fruits and/or non fat greek yogurt.
    Almost everyday I pass the sugar limit, eating 3 fruits a day and one yogurt.

Is that really bad? Aren't sugars from fruits a good thing?

fruits are good for you...they are packed with fiber, antioxidants, and all kinds of micro-nutrients...but sugar is sugar.

that said, the recommendation for sugar on MFP is for added sugars and I believe it comes from the WHO...to my knowledge there is no DRA for sugar.

Really, if you don't have a medical condition that warrants tracking your sugar and you don't have a "problem" with sugar...as in you eat *kitten* loads of it, I really wouldn't worry about it.

There is no way that MFP has a way of distinguishing added vs natural sugar until the food labels change.

My sugar total reflects all of my sugar.

• Kalikel
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

So is your position supposed to be based on the fact that different enzymes, etc. are involved in forming the glucose? If so, why does that matter since it's the glucose that the body uses? If not, what is your position, exactly?

My position on what? I have no position that I didn't make clear before. There is no reason to worry about sugar from fruit. If he chooses not eat it, that's his business. His choice. I'm not trying to push him into eating or not eating it.
  • Kalikel
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

so now you want to play the same game with me? We go from talking about the sugar, to talking about the entire food source? Sorry, that's not how this works.

There is no game. If you want to insist that all sugars are identical...well, you're not even saying "all sugars", are you? You're saying THE sugar is the same and processed the same. I am genuinely interested in how you think that works.
  • mccindy72
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

My position on what? I have no position that I didn't make clear before. There is no reason to worry about sugar from fruit. If he chooses not eat it, that's his business. His choice. I'm not trying to push him into eating or not eating it.

there is no reason for him to worry about sugar from any source, not just fruit. That's just ridiculous. Stop bringing up cake frosting and milk.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    The body does not know the difference in sugar from fruit to frosting. Check with your dietician.

OP, most people track carbs, fat, protein and let the rest land where they may, while eating at your calorie goal. A medical condition is the exception.
    ( for men 1500 cal. at lowest) unless super short.
    Good luck.
  • Kalikel
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

Frosting, milk, and peaches are actually foods with different macros and micros. Neither frosting, milk, or peaches are sugar.

Just wanted to let you know, for future reference. It's nice to know random trivia like that. Conversation starters, ya know.
    I will try to remember that when starting conversations.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited July 2015
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

Your position on how all sugar is, or isn't, all the same and processed identically. Is the whole of your position to make the point that fructose, sucrose, lactose, etc are broken down by different enzymes by the digestion process during which all of them are converted to glucose, which glucose the body then uses exactly the same regardless of source? If not, what differences do you mean?

• mccindy72
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

There is no game. If you want to insist that all sugars are identical...well, you're not even saying "all sugars", are you? You're saying THE sugar is the same and processed the same. I am genuinely interested in how you think that works.

What I'm referring to is people's concern for their sugar intake and the source. Whether your sugar source is fruit, ice cream, tic tacs, or a low-fat packaged dinner from the grocery store, it doesn't matter for your overall sugar intake. People get all kinds of worked up over that number and try to cut sugar out of their diet as one particular source of calories, when that's not the smartest way to do things.
    Sugar is a simple carb, period, and is processed as such by the body when consumed, to answer your question.
  • KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Where'd that 21 g come from? MFP gives me 77. If it came from your doctor, discuss with him/her.

You're right the limit is not 21, it's 45... but I pass it everyday...

Not sure why your limit is so much smaller than mine, but letting it go.

It's 15% of calories.

It's 45 grams for people on 1200.

As for why a young guy like OP seems to be is on 1200, beats me.

What does age have to do with it? I'm not quite 21 and I'm on 1200... it's about losing weight... since my start was only 20 lbs from my goal I need a larger deficit.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You're right the limit is not 21, it's 45... but I pass it everyday...

Not sure why your limit is so much smaller than mine, but letting it go.

It's 15% of calories.

It's 45 grams for people on 1200.

As for why a young guy like OP seems to be is on 1200, beats me.

What does age have to do with it? I'm not quite 21 and I'm on 1200... it's about losing weight... since my start was only 20 lbs from my goal I need a larger deficit.

No...the closer to goal you are, the smaller your deficit should be, and the more accurate your logging should be. It makes it easier to transition to maintenance.

As for age - the younger you are, the more calories you burn, generally speaking. Our metabolisms slow as we age.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's a shame that you commented on the Sugar FAQ thread without reading it. The information there might have come in useful here.

This discussion has been closed.