Does post workout Soreness mean you had a Killer Workout?

Options

Replies

• N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I do a weight workout I always follow it up with some aerobic to flush the lactic acid out of the muscle tissue. This seems to work well for me along with the post workout supplement Glutamine.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I saw a study that had volunteers using either an ice or hot bath after exercising. The degree to which both those groups had massively reduced DOMS compared to the controlled group was amazing. BTW, there was negligable difference between the effects of an ice or hot bath - so I go with the hot bath every time! It also fits with my evening routine, and the bath is the first part of my nighttime wind down. I sleep really well after a work-out and bath too. And my muscle pain is pretty minimal. However, I'm currently nursing a bruised bottom from my first spin class! No bath can unbruise that, so I'm suffering a bit! ;)
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness is the pain or soreness experienced typically several hours after workout

is DOMS related to how productive your workout was???

NO it' not

yet why do many people mistake the degree of post workout soreness to the efficacy of their workout??

Most common reason is instant feedback and lack of knowledge... in fact just think about it.. It even seems logical...harder the exercise more is the soreness..On top of this the bro science "i killed my legs yesterday bro! I can't even get up from my bed.... gonna get those killer quads by tomorrow!! " .another addition to the long list of fitness and health myths

unfortunately this is completely wrong and baseless as far as success of the workout depends...workouts can still be effective even if you’re not sore, because exercise is still effective after you stop getting sore from it...just because one is not experiencing the same level of post exercise soreness as when he first started out doesn't mean it's efficacy has reduced. It means that the body has adapted to the level of intensity

what about the muscle micro tear and micro trauma??
    Muscle biopsy and electron microscopy shows that the reason for pain is connective tissue damage and inflammation in the area around the muscle tendon attachment where most of the sensory nerve fibers innervate. While it’s true that the method which stimulates the synthesis of new myofibrils ( components of muscle cell) owes its basis to the micro tears introduced in muscle fibers, however this process is NOT always accompanied by pain and soreness

classic case where the effect is mistaken for cause

if muscle soreness is not the indicator of success then what is??

Performance aka progressive overload
    if you are lifting more weight than the previous workout then your last session was a hit. Congratulations!

Have a powerful day!!

Your explanation does not answer your question entirely. Basically all you told us was that you don't have to feel sore afterwards to have had a great workout. You didn't disprove your question of, "Does post workout Soreness mean you had a Killer Workout?" So I can still believe that being really sore after a workout means I got a killer workout, but I may still get a killer workout even if I don't feel sore afterwards.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Look at the guys or girls who are the best at what they do, do they push themselves to the limit or do they do 3x10 barely sweat then have a lie down, I am sure Arnie did 45 minutes 3 times a week one short of failure, I bet mo farah never got sore and Chris froome quit half way up the hill cause his thighs burnt

• Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think it does mean you had a killer workout. Either that or you injured yourself.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I saw a study that had volunteers using either an ice or hot bath after exercising. The degree to which both those groups had massively reduced DOMS compared to the controlled group was amazing. BTW, there was negligable difference between the effects of an ice or hot bath - so I go with the hot bath every time! It also fits with my evening routine, and the bath is the first part of my nighttime wind down. I sleep really well after a work-out and bath too. And my muscle pain is pretty minimal. However, I'm currently nursing a bruised bottom from my first spin class! No bath can unbruise that, so I'm suffering a bit! ;)

thanks for this..i have read a couple of articles like these but no study...any good reference if you can provide???
    It was a recent BBC health program, that conducted the test in collaboration with a university Sports science department's own findings. They basically just set out to prove that all those 'deep heat' and 'ice cold' creams and treatments did nothing to the muscles, but this was an interesting side discovery that warm or cold water served much better functionally. I've definitely seen the benefits!
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Good thread. I use to think it did but overtime soreness did fade and I was still making progress. I do like the feeling of soreness, I will admit. Whenever I do an exercise that I haven't done before or in a while, it seems to get me sore. :wink:
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Tahlia68 wrote: »
    I joined my local gym last week to get my fitness back after a 12yr break due to illness. I went last Monday, my first day and my fitness instructor said "no pain no gain"! He stated if your not "sore" the next day your not working hard enough? I've been 4 times this week and was very sore after the first 2 day's and a little bit sore yesterday. Today not bad at all. I can certainly feel the hard work I've done.

DOMS will kick your *kitten* when you haven't worked out for a while but it will quickly fade and if you are convinced that is what you need you will quickly be sidetracked in pursuit of the burn rather than strength or fitness.

I suggest either finding another trainer, one with a sports background or a strength training background who can put you on a real strength training program. One that tracks progress not pain.

Or just do that your self, a 5x5 program will serve you well and is as simple as it gets.

Some days you may really feel it, most days you won't. But if you judge success by DOMS you will either get discouraged and quit or abandons the program and not get the results you want.

I'm going to start doing my workouts my way. I'm not going to be told by the owner/trainer of the gym 'no pain no gain' I'm working out, exercising everyday and some day's I'm sore and other day's I"m not but I'm improving each day with noticeable result's. Thank's for your reply. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow ..this is the first post I've seen from you where I am generally in agreement

But maybe you could work on your tone. Your other posts have proved you, like most of us, have rather a lot to learn, and your lecturing stance can be quite off putting in the context of some of the other highly debatable stuff you've posted as 'fact'.

But keep reading and discussing and keep learning
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Good thread. I use to think it did but overtime soreness did fade and I was still making progress. I do like the feeling of soreness, I will admit. Whenever I do an exercise that I haven't done before or in a while, it seems to get me sore. :wink:

It's weird how the DOMS can be totally comforting and you can almost miss it
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    It's part of the long established "feel the burn" "love the burn" culture prevelent in the bodybuilding world. And the cardio world.

I had this EXACT mindset until recently, and I fell off the fitness wagon often because as I got fitter and stronger the DOMS got less severe and I began to feel less rewarded for my work. Funny enough every time I came back and got sore I loved it! Starting again became my favorite part of exercise, so I was never consistent enough to really get in shape.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s every source of information seemed to be selling the idea that being in shape meant severe sacrifices, and those sacrifices were glorified to the point that I think many people accepted that being fit just wasn't for them. Ultimately contributing to our obesity epidemic.

I learned early on that fitness was either hours a day at the gym pumping out tons of reps for every individual muscle or hours upon hours of cardio. Both leaving you sore and exhausted. But somehow supposedly stronger and healthier.

Even now I feel like I'm either lazy or a charlatan when I do my 5x5, or tell people that it can be done in "just an hours a day three days a week!" Like an infomercial spokesman.

But the fun part is that knowing I can maintain a really good level of fitness with that little work means I can indulge in other exercises just for fun, knowing that I don't face a lifetime of the grind just to get by. It's not just a choice between the #gymlyfe!! And being soft and weak.

try telling that to a noob filled with bro science to the brim..
    you yourself realised it after going full cycle

Before it was bro science it was just the way it was.

But I think the misconceptions are what keeps many people from even trying these days.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Wow ..this is the first post I've seen from you where I am generally in agreement

But maybe you could work on your tone. Your other posts have proved you, like most of us, have rather a lot to learn, and your lecturing stance can be quite off putting in the context of some of the other highly debatable stuff you've posted as 'fact'.

But keep reading and discussing and keep learning
    Are you talking about me or another OP? Have I said something wrong? Thanks
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    @tahlia68. Sorry no, I was talking to OP...that means the original poster ...sorry for the confusion

I think you're right to ignore your no pain, no gain trainer