Does post workout Soreness mean you had a Killer Workout?

Options

Replies

• Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DOMS or delayed onset muscle soreness is the pain or soreness experienced typically several hours after workout

is DOMS related to how productive your workout was???

NO it' not

yet why do many people mistake the degree of post workout soreness to the efficacy of their workout??

Most common reason is instant feedback and lack of knowledge... in fact just think about it.. It even seems logical...harder the exercise more is the soreness..On top of this the bro science "i killed my legs yesterday bro! I can't even get up from my bed.... gonna get those killer quads by tomorrow!! " .another addition to the long list of fitness and health myths

unfortunately this is completely wrong and baseless as far as success of the workout depends...workouts can still be effective even if you’re not sore, because exercise is still effective after you stop getting sore from it...just because one is not experiencing the same level of post exercise soreness as when he first started out doesn't mean it's efficacy has reduced. It means that the body has adapted to the level of intensity

what about the muscle micro tear and micro trauma??
    Muscle biopsy and electron microscopy shows that the reason for pain is connective tissue damage and inflammation in the area around the muscle tendon attachment where most of the sensory nerve fibers innervate. While it’s true that the method which stimulates the synthesis of new myofibrils ( components of muscle cell) owes its basis to the micro tears introduced in muscle fibers, however this process is NOT always accompanied by pain and soreness

classic case where the effect is mistaken for cause

if muscle soreness is not the indicator of success then what is??

Performance aka progressive overload
    if you are lifting more weight than the previous workout then your last session was a hit. Congratulations!

Have a powerful day!!

Your explanation does not answer your question entirely. Basically all you told us was that you don't have to feel sore afterwards to have had a great workout. You didn't disprove your question of, "Does post workout Soreness mean you had a Killer Workout?" So I can still believe that being really sore after a workout means I got a killer workout, but I may still get a killer workout even if I don't feel sore afterwards.

I answered it with a NO in the first line

lifting light weights for high reps may cause soreness but no gains

Oh but it will cause 'gains' of some sort. Proper nutrition/calorie surplus is the most important part of gaining muscle mass. At the very least it will cause 'gains' in muscle endurance. I've been going to a body pump class (light weights with lots of reps) for some time now and have worked my way up in the weights I use for the class. One time this muscle bound guy from the weight room showed up to join a class. Clearly this guy had put in a lot of time lifting heavy and could definitely out lift me in the weight room. Despite the instructors cautioning him to go a little bit lighter with his weights since it was his first class he was determined to mimic the same weights I was using since I was the only other guy in class. Of course as the class went on he failed horribly and was usually dropping his bar and taking multiple breaks before we were even half way through the 5 minute tracks for each exercise. I couldn't help but chuckle within myself watching him. He hasn't returned since. So I feel like there are definitely 'gains' to be had from lighter lifting, and I still feel like soreness after your workout generally indicates that you had a great workout. I do agree with you that you don't have to be sore to have had a great workout though, as your body will adapt.

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But maybe you could work on your tone. Your other posts have proved you, like most of us, have rather a lot to learn, and your lecturing stance can be quite off putting in the context of some of the other highly debatable stuff you've posted as 'fact'.
    Well said.

When I was twenty I knew everything there was to know.
    When I turned thirty I realized that I didn't know anything about anything.
    At forty it dawned on me that my parents had offered up good advice over the years that I had dismissed.
    Turning fifty brought the understanding that I still have a lot to learn.

Life is funny that way.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    add cardio and interval training alternately to them keeping atleast one day ( sunday ) for rest
    reason- fat burning occurs more by cardio and interval training than weight lifting
    Incorrect. Fat burning happens most with a calorie deficit and at rest (since it's the primary source of energy). Any physical activity will first use glycogen before even touching any fat stores. One doesn't need to do any cardio at all, and can do it by weight lifting alone if calorie deficit is good enough.
    Cardio is for cardio vascular health and helps to burn more calories to either create a higher calorie deficit, or give some room to eat more calories if a calorie deficit it high enough.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I was merely being polite in the above post...While I do not claim to know everything, i do know almost everything there is to know which will directly or indirectly affect my results in a major fashion.I don't bother much about the minor details that have little or no signifance as far as performance or results of my training and nutrition are concerned.

Also, the reason why people seem to get offended by my "tone" is because my confidence sometimes gets mistaken as arrogance...however almost every fact that i quote is reference based and backed up by research.For the things that I do not quote , it is mostly out of laziness of lack of time

"I know what i know...If i do not know it's because there is no need to know"

The key there is in your first paragraph : it affects YOUR results. My thought is that you tend to over generalize what is working for you into a plan that would work for everyone.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was merely being polite in the above post...While I do not claim to know everything, i do know almost everything there is to know which will directly or indirectly affect my results in a major fashion.I don't bother much about the minor details that have little or no signifance as far as performance or results of my training and nutrition are concerned.

Also, the reason why people seem to get offended by my "tone" is because my confidence sometimes gets mistaken as arrogance...however almost every fact that i quote is reference based and backed up by research.For the things that I do not quote , it is mostly out of laziness of lack of time

But dude...you've posted a lot of what was, in my opinion, rubbish too sad phrased it as though it's gospel and everyone should listen to you.

So you don't really know "almost everything" for everyone, just what has worked / not harmed you (n=1)

I have yet to see you back up any of your assertions with any valid sources ...you should do that ...it gives you some credibility at least
  • Sued0nim
    Options

But dude...you've posted a lot of what was, in my opinion, rubbish too sad phrased it as though it's gospel and everyone should listen to you.

So you don't really know "almost everything" for everyone, just what has worked / not harmed you (n=1)

I have yet to see you back up any of your assertions with any valid sources ...you should do that ...it gives you some credibility at least

please be a little specific...tell me about what according to you was incorrect ...part of the post / the whole post/ the tone of the post or everything in general?

more convenient if you would actually quote the lines (unless the post has been already taken down lol)

Well on the one yesterday

The thing you said about pre-workout nutrition being crucial amongst others

I can't remember the other parts I felt were personal choice I'm afraid
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • Sued0nim
    Options

please be a little specific...tell me about what according to you was incorrect ...part of the post / the whole post/ the tone of the post or everything in general?

more convenient if you would actually quote the lines (unless the post has been already taken down lol)

Well on the one yesterday

The thing you said about pre-workout nutrition being crucial amongst others

I can't remember the other parts I felt were personal choice I'm afraid

read this

http://www.jissn.com/content/10/1/53

OK ...that meta-analyses actually refutes your claim that the timing or protein consumption has any importance

Yet you are quoting it as corroboration for your assertion

I'm joining Isaac in a small LOL there
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lol

YOU, I like!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    now what makes (1) to be preferentially happening over (2) is A MUSCLE STIMULUS aka WEIGHT TRAINING

conversely , in a deficit, the energy from fat will be used to replenish the muscle glycogen stores

so again...where am i wrong???

I believe a more correct description would be "any physical activity that gets energy consumption above a critical threshold, one example of which is weight training".

Because the "preference" also happens for cardio activity above the same threshold.

And "interval training" only out-burns steady state cardio under very specific apples-to-oranges conditions. If someone is interested in maximizing calorie burn from exercise, low intensity cardio is where it's at, because it can be done for long periods of time and has minimal recovery requirements.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TL;DR They could demonstrate a relationship with the level of protein intake - they couldn't establish a relationship with the timing of protein intake.

What this means is that IF timing matters, it is a minor factor. Which in turn means that its irrelevant for 99.99999% of MFPers.