Eat everything in Moderation as dietary advice?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    czymom123 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, EIM to me is a crock. At the very least, it is not for everyone. Having lost 80 pounds, I realize there are certain things I NEED to stay away from. How do I know this? Because I ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! How? Simply put, some things overweight people eat are never going to be in moderation. I love candy. Particularly Reese's cups and Mike and Ikes. I have an issue eating those and just chilling till my next healthy meal. It triggers me. I know it's a trigger. This is why I choose not to eat them. Additionally, is there a lot of nutritional value in that candy? No, there is not. So why even go there? This is simply MY opinion. I do not believe everyone is like me. But if you are like me, you may want to consider that there are foods you should avoid.

But that's not eating in moderation... *blinks*
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, EIM to me is a crock. At the very least, it is not for everyone. Having lost 80 pounds, I realize there are certain things I NEED to stay away from. How do I know this? Because I ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! How? Simply put, some things overweight people eat are never going to be in moderation. I love candy. Particularly Reese's cups and Mike and Ikes. I have an issue eating those and just chilling till my next healthy meal. It triggers me. I know it's a trigger. This is why I choose not to eat them. Additionally, is there a lot of nutritional value in that candy? No, there is not. So why even go there? This is simply MY opinion. I do not believe everyone is like me. But if you are like me, you may want to consider that there are foods you should avoid.

That's the point - trying to eat "in moderation" leads many people straight to binging.

Not everybody, not even most people, but definitely a large enough proportion that "eat in moderation" doesn't work as blanket advice IRL.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    No, it's not a scientific thing. Some people include junk food because if they didn't, they would binge eat it. Others consider it necessary for their mental health. Others just don't want to stop eating yummy foods that they like. All of it is valid.

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating funnel cakes and Oreos, but it's also possible to lose weight without them.

It's just a personal choice.

When did thermodynamics cease being a scientific thing?

Not in this thread.

The discussion is around how best to get and maintain a deficit - not whether a deficit is necessary or whether it will lead to weight loss.

It is about if eating in moderation works to create the needed deficit.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a scientific thing. Some people include junk food because if they didn't, they would binge eat it. Others consider it necessary for their mental health. Others just don't want to stop eating yummy foods that they like. All of it is valid.

It's entirely possible to lose weight eating funnel cakes and Oreos, but it's also possible to lose weight without them.

Eating in moderation is thermodynamic?

• brianpperkins
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's the point - trying to eat "in moderation" leads many people straight to binging.

Not everybody, not even most people, but definitely a large enough proportion that "eat in moderation" doesn't work as blanket advice IRL.

What czymom123 did was not eating in moderation ... period.

Moderation .. a form of the adjective moderate ... : average in size or amount : neither too much nor too little (Merriam-Webster).

Gaining 15 pounds is eating too much ... therefore not moderate ... ergo, not eating in moderation.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Someone gives advice that works for a majority of people. A person who takes said advice doesn't do the advice correctly. Who is at fault... the advice or the person?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It sounds like you're taking personal experience here and projecting it onto other people.

There are many, many successful people who can and do maintain a reasonable relationship with "trigger" foods.

Generalizing your personal experience and making it about all obese people isn't fair OR accurate.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

The scientific basis of moderation .. not eating too much .. is in the context of CICO.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Your individual failure to moderate is not supportive of moderation being a failed approach.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I'd argue that being too restrictive and eliminating "naughty" foods from the diet leads to more binging and I say this as someone with an emotional attachment to food. When I tried losing weight in the past I was too restrictive.

Can I have calorie dense junk food lying around the house? No. Can I eat them whenever I want within my calorie goal as long as I only buy enough for one or two servings at a time? Absolutely and it has been the key to me getting a grip on my relationship with food. I appreciate I'm a sample of one but I'm long enough in the tooth to see many more examples of just this behaviour.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

Not in this thread.

The discussion is around how best to get and maintain a deficit - not whether a deficit is necessary or whether it will lead to weight loss.

Nobody is disputing that it does. The question is whether it's a practical way of getting to the deficit.
  • Annie_01
    Options

Not in this thread.

I guess that I am lost. I thought the OP wanted to know about "eating in moderation" was applicable to those with health issues along with is there any science behind "eating in moderation". I would assume comparing it to eating a strict controlled diet.

• Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Your individual failure to moderate is not supportive of moderation being a failed approach.

It's not an individual failure - it's many, many people.

Which means there is more going on than the "theory" is addressing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

The scientific basis of moderation .. not eating too much .. is in the context of CICO.

On MFP "eating in moderation" typically means "don't restrict foods". That is the context of this discussion - it's about more than just calories.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When you chose to eat too much candy instead of eating it in moderation, you gained weight. Moderation works, not moderating doesn't. Your interpretation is backwards.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Right, that's my understanding and experience as well.

• Annie_01
    Options

IMO..."eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat every food that is out there known to mankind. If there is a food that you struggle with...then don't eat it. There are several foods that I used to eat that I no longer do because I just can't seem to moderate them. I did however replace them other foods that I could.

My definition of "eating in moderation" is not eliminating any food group. Also "eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat them every day/week/month. I like ice cream bars...I only eat them a couple of times a month. Love pizza...I stick to 2 slices twice a month. Reduced fat Cheezits...I have to leave on the shelf...I eat the whole box. Just because I leave them on the shelf doesn't mean that I can't center my diet around "eating in moderation".

• czymom123
    czymom123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

So you didn't eat in moderation no matter how much you want to believe that you "ate everything in moderation all the way up 15 pounds! "

You are right, I did not eat everything in moderation seeing as some foods can be triggers. I am just trying to give another perspective based on my experience.
  • Annie_01
    Options

On MFP "eating in moderation" typically means "don't restrict foods". That is the context of this discussion - it's about more than just calories.

That is what I thought...but maybe I'm wrong...I am sometimes.

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options

IMO..."eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat every food that is out there known to mankind. If there is a food that you struggle with...then don't eat it. There are several foods that I used to eat that I no longer do because I just can't seem to moderate them. I did however replace them other foods that I could.

My definition of "eating in moderation" is not eliminating any food group. Also "eating in moderation" doesn't mean that you have to eat them every day/week/month. I like ice cream bars...I only eat them a couple of times a month. Love pizza...I stick to 2 slices twice a month. Reduced fat Cheezits...I have to leave on the shelf...I eat the whole box. Just because I leave them on the shelf doesn't mean that I can't center my diet around "eating in moderation".

Everything you said +1,000.
This discussion has been closed.