Embarrassing injuries.

Options
TeachTheGirl
TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
So, the humidity is really messing with my right knee today.

I'm not proud of it. I had to go to physiotherapy about 10 years ago because of it.

I was walking home from a night on the town, quite a bit more than drunk, slipped on the little knobbly-bits on the drop curb to a cross-walk...but regained my balance! Only to fall down a couple of meters away. My heel had given way and all I remember was being upright and then seeing asphalt.

I woke up the next morning with a scarf tied around my knee. Turns out my friends had made a makeshift bandage. I thought they were just messing around, so I peeled it off...to a blood encrusted knee. I've always had issues with my knee ever since. (Although not as bad since I lost weight, as there's not as much of a strain on it.) But when the weather gets humid? Good luck bending and flexing that sucker!

Does anyone else have any slightly embarrassing injuries?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I threw out my back cleaning up cat puke. Bent down, twisted the wrong way, and ZING! I walked hunched over like a question mark for a week.

And that sort of thing happened regularly, until I started strength training.

I don't remember how I first injured my left wrist... I think it was carrying a window air conditioner. But I kept re-injuring it due to pure stupidity. Walking fast to push open a door, not realizing it was an "out" door instead of an "in." Pushing my dad in a wheelchair when he forgot to take the brake off. Falling into a creek while hiking with the dog (my husband and I both ended up drenched to mid-hip, but our frickin' Pekingese was bone dry!). Ended up in a wrist brace AND knee brace after that one.

And probably the dumbest was while I was at Target getting an RX painkiller filled, and shopping for a wrist brace... Figured I might as well buy some kitty litter. It wasn't until the 40 pound bucket was over the shopping cart that I very painfully realized I was using my injured wrist. I'm a righty, but I tend to use my left hand for all the grunt work. :laugh:
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Um.. this was a little more than slight..

Years ago, I got a really bad dose of flu, they day before my driving test (english people will understand how big a deal that is)
    So, I drank a LOT of hot toddies with lemon, honey and um.. lots of whisky :)

Woke the next morning.. tada! No flu! Passed the test!

Few months later, bad flu again, and I was going away in a day or two.
    So same deal, hot toddies, lemon, honey, lots of whiskey to kill the germs...

Except I woke up in the night, had to pee, stood on the bed, got the sheet and comforter twisted around me and my ankle, fell off the bed, hit my head on the wall, and hurt my ankle..

You try explaining the hot toddy theory to the Emergency Doctor at 4 am as he's setting your broken ankle, and telling you about your concussion...
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    I will never live down the night that I rammed my face into a wood pile... Drinking too much and strolling around my buddy's yard, I fell down... People were offering to help me up, and I said "No no I GOT THIS!" went to stand up and instead drove my head into a wood pile "DOH!" Broke the glasses and had a pretty little gash from between my eyes to the tip of my nose.

I haven't drank like that since... :blushing: it was YEARS ago, and every time those same people see me with so much as a beer or glass of wine I hear "Keep her OUT of the wood pile!"... :noway:

OH and there was one time where I climbed into a kitchen chair to change the shower curtain... went to get down and took the knob on top of the chair right to the lady bits.... They say that hurts on guys, let me tell you what! It hurts for us ladies too!!! Missed out on a town meeting to sit on an ice pack for a while... OUCH! That was one injury that I chose NOT to explain to people, just told them I was sick. :tongue:
  • michelleinpa
    michelleinpa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cautionary tale: there is a fine line when drinking smoking mai tais.and saying "look at those fools on that electric bull" to "I CAN SHOW THEM ALL HOW TO RIDE THAT BULL"..do not cross it - broke my hand in four places. Explaining how I did it to the emergency room was well, awkward to say the least..not to mention my hubby.
  • TitzMcGeez
    TitzMcGeez Posts: 104
    Options
    didn't happen to me, but the summer after my freshman year in HS the choir group I was in took at trip to europe. A girl that was a good friend of mine slipped on a cathedral's stairs and ripped her ladyparts... Episiotomy style for those of you that have had kids, you should know what that is..

she spent the afternoon in the emergency room getting stitched up and had to sit on a hemorrhoid pillow the rest of the trip... poor girl, I always felt bad for her... until....

two years ago, I was having a little bit of rough sex and my (now ex) boyfriend ripped me a little.... level 1, 2 stitches and butt pillow.... yowch

the most embarrassing part was telling the er doc why....
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I pretty much f-ed everything on my rightest right side.

I broke pinky toe walking into a wall.

I broke my pinky playing tag when I 'tagged' someone they stood up and twisted my pinky into the back of my hand.

I sprained ankle on the teter totter when I was to old to be on it.

I broke my arm doing a scissor kick and landed my body on my hand. Didn't feel pain until I looked at it and my arm was a curly pile of mush. I wouldn't let them do surgery so they gave me drugs until I giggled and talked about Santa and wanting a snake. It was a 'new' doctor that fixed my arm. I remember him sweating beeds onto me trying to fix it without surgery. Good job doc. Works like a charm.

Tore a ligament walking on a sidewalk in heals...in the winter...dumbass.

My back use to break carrying my 5lb laptop around. What can I say, I'm a puny computer scientist. Hikes use to put me out of commission for a week and I didn't carry a backpack. F-ed it more in a motorcycle accident.

I started strength training and haven't had any problems since and my back problems went away :)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options

two years ago, I was having a little bit of rough sex and my (now ex) boyfriend ripped me a little.... level 1, 2 stitches and butt pillow.... yowch

You win.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sprained my ankle trying on a Halloween costume. But I was in grade school, so it's less embarrassing than if I'd been 20 when I did it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have a deep smile-shaped scar on my shin from where I tried to change the bathroom light... standing on a director's chair. The fabric ripped and my shin hit the steel crossbars with my full weight. Seconds later my dad arrived for dinner, I cooked and ate, and hours later my shin was still p*ssing blood so had to go to A&E. Believe me, your shin is not somewhere you want stitches :sad:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

You win.

:noway: Yep...you win.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I fell down a hill. Chasing one of my little cousins, and ended up with a bruise completely around my kneecap. Physical therapy and 3 doctors later It still hurts with the weather.

I also dropped a TV on my tail bone. Had left all my dresser drawers open and when I thought 'that doesn't look safe' and went to push them all in the dresser toppled over causing the TV on top to land on my tail bone... I still have problems with my tail bone hurting, and my hips going out of line because of it.

And... Drum roll please.... I was running though the house naked as a toddler, and went into my brothers room. My brother not wanting his naked little sister in there, pushed me back into the hallway... I fell onto a box, That went right up my butt crack. It was bad enough my parents took me to the ER, only to spend the next two hours trying to convince the doctors I had fallen on a box and was NOT molested... Eventually they agreed, because they finally noticed that I I had a square imprint on the outside of my butt too. It probably helped that my brother was crying saying 'he didn't mean to'. While this one wasn't necessarily embarrassing for me, (as I don't remember it) It was sure embarrassing for everyone else involved! lol
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There was that little episode I had with the French courtesan, 23 pounds of strawberry jam, a tricycle and a pair of dice. But it is such a common tale I don't want to bore you with the details.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I was using resistance bands to do arm curls. I wanted to up the resistance so I thought I'd give myself less band and pull harder. At some point, the band snapped and I punched myself in the head.
  • deeann7769
    deeann7769 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Knocked myself out on jet while loading bombs in chem gear. Smacked my head on the side of the jet really hard while speed walking under it, managed to call out the first part of 'Stop the Load", and went down for the count.

I've hit my head numerous times since then. I've learned to let gravity take over (as to not my make head act like a pinball in a machine), and I am also pretty good about lying there with one arm raised with a thumbs-up sign so my coworkers know that it is just a run of the mill head smack. I gotta get me one of those Navy flight deck cranials:laugh:
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I was texting and walking downhill with my dog, well, you know the rest. My phone flew, my dog was like "hey, lets keep going!" So I got up because people were coming, smiled and kept walking. It was only when I got to the bottom that I noticed gravel & blood on my chin and my a blood stained sock because my knee was cut open! I of course snapped bloody pictures of my knee because I was more proud than embarrassed.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I sliced the inside of my wrist carrying one of the boxes at CrossFit and, even though it was just a scratch, I have a scar there now and it looks like I tried to off myself. There's been a couple awkward moments.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Completed my first Warrior Dash (5k obstacle course) in 2010 in about 35 mins. Was so proud of myself until I rolled & broke my right ankle walking out of the event to go home. :embarassed:

Completed my third Warrior Dash in 2012, then 2 weeks later while at my family reunion in Florida, I dislocated & shattered my right ankle whilst running & jumping into a neighborhood pond behind my cousins house on a dare from my family during hurricane Beryl at 12 in the morning on Memorial weekend! The pond was not as deep as I thought it was, and I thought it would have been all mucky/muddy and I'd sink into the mud, nope it was straight concrete. I had had a few drinks by this point in the night, but was far from drunk so sadly I can not blame my stupidity in the alcohol. :noway:

2 rods and 5 screws later, needless tosay I missed my fourth Warrior Dash in 2013 based on doctors orders. :cry:
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I jumped from the roof of a house once thinking it wasn't that far. As SOON as I was no longer in contact with the house I realized OH **** this is a long way.

I dislocated the lisfrank joint in my right foot and it has been screwed up ever since. I should have gotten surgery but opted for the WORTHLESS cast route.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've had a few injuries in my lifetime, but the most embarrassing one was when I was 32 and learning how to ski for the first time in my life. I rode the ski lift to the top of the BUNNY HILL, and when getting off the lift, on which I had ridden up with one of my sons, I bumped into him. According to my family (who was laughing their collective arses off while describing the scenario!) I pirouetted beautifully and went "BUMP!" right onto my then very ample rear end. I was unable to ski back down the hill due to pain, so I earned my first First Aid toboggan ride down the hill to the First Aid hut, got an ambulance ride to the hospital (try imagining riding in a Jeep with a broken tailbone on a bumpy ski road for 45 minutes! :noway: ) and discovered that my tailbone was broken. It took a full 6 months before I didn't feel pain when sitting on a wooden seat!

I didn't let a broken tailbone stop me. I still ski, and I'm in my mid-forties now. It's easier to ski with less body mass, I've discovered this past winter. That was a nice NSV.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I trip, slip, and fall a lot, but the most embarrassing situation was being hit by a dog.

I was selling Mary Kay at the time and was leaving a hostess' house. Was holding a huge box of supplies, and as I hit the latch to open the door, and her lab rushed past me and down the stairs. I knew to be careful on the stairs, since I had just recently recovered from a fall after tripping on a crack in the *ahem* sidewalk and screwing up one of my knees. I safely made it down to the sidewalk, and that's when the dog came back. At full speed. I heard him, but never saw him. He hit me full speed, and down I went. I screwed up the OTHER knee, and missed a week of work. (MRI's, x-rays, pain meds, and the inability to move.) It was really bad.