Deficit, Heavy lifting and Gaining Weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    my only suggestion is why would you changed a structured program like ice cream fitness that is tried and proven into your own version? I would highly recommend following the program as structured. If you want to do light cardio on one of your rest days that is OK, but you really need one, one hundred percent rest day.

The reason I decided to do 5 or 6 days instead of 3 was because my body just felt like it could use more. I have been feeling quite good actually except for the water retention getting my scale weight up.

Anyway, by asking the question about the scale weight, I've been told here that I should follow the program as recommended with 3 days on and the rest days in between to get my muscles to recover.

As a result, I have taken today off since I did ICF 5x5 yesterday. I shall do the ICF 5x5 3 days per week and do 1 day of whatever my fitness trainer chooses for us to do. So instead of 6 days working out, I'll scale back to 4 days.

I hope this is in sync with what the experienced lifters recommend.

Thank you!!!!!!!

sorry if I missed it but how long have you been running ICF 5x5 and how long have you been lifting for?

If you feel that you have outgrown the program you may want to consider a more intermediate program like a four day split....

Only about 4 months (counting the 2 months before my surgery) - so not long at all.

I have been doing it 5 or 6 days a week for the past 2.5 weeks only and feeling excellent, but I have received advice here to stop doing it so many days a week and go back to 3x per week.

Because of all the wonderful responses here, I have taken a full rest day today and will follow the program 3x per week.

ok...

then yes, continue to run the program as written. I would say give it another good three to four months and then see how you are progressing with lifts...

like I said, you can do core/cardio stuff on off days, but definitely have one, one hundred percent rest day.
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    my only suggestion is why would you changed a structured program like ice cream fitness that is tried and proven into your own version? I would highly recommend following the program as structured. If you want to do light cardio on one of your rest days that is OK, but you really need one, one hundred percent rest day.

The reason I decided to do 5 or 6 days instead of 3 was because my body just felt like it could use more. I have been feeling quite good actually except for the water retention getting my scale weight up.

Anyway, by asking the question about the scale weight, I've been told here that I should follow the program as recommended with 3 days on and the rest days in between to get my muscles to recover.

As a result, I have taken today off since I did ICF 5x5 yesterday. I shall do the ICF 5x5 3 days per week and do 1 day of whatever my fitness trainer chooses for us to do. So instead of 6 days working out, I'll scale back to 4 days.

Thank you!!!!!!!

Every program I read says to follow the program unless you have experience weight training which it does not sound like you do OP.

I didn't say I have experience, just that my body wanted more. I could've done other workouts on my off days but I enjoyed the ICF 5x5 so much I chose to do it 5 or 6 days instead of 3.

Again, thanks to the wise responses here, I decided to cut back. Thank you :smiley:

Does the program have accessory workouts you can do?

I'm not sure what accessory workouts are and I tried to get a definition on Google.

If you mean triceps extensions, curls, crunches etc, they're already part of ICF 5x5.

I understand what you mean about doing other workouts those days. I might ride my bike or swim or use the treadmill or elliptical. My body wants to do something so if ICF 5x5 won't do, something else would have to.
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Thank you!!!!!!!

sorry if I missed it but how long have you been running ICF 5x5 and how long have you been lifting for?

If you feel that you have outgrown the program you may want to consider a more intermediate program like a four day split....

Only about 4 months (counting the 2 months before my surgery) - so not long at all.

I have been doing it 5 or 6 days a week for the past 2.5 weeks only and feeling excellent, but I have received advice here to stop doing it so many days a week and go back to 3x per week.

Because of all the wonderful responses here, I have taken a full rest day today and will follow the program 3x per week.

ok...

then yes, continue to run the program as written. I would say give it another good three to four months and then see how you are progressing with lifts...

like I said, you can do core/cardio stuff on off days, but definitely have one, one hundred percent rest day.

Yes, thank you. I like this idea because I'm at a place where my body is loving working out and I want to keep the momentum in a safe way :smiley:
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why have the surgery before losing the weight?

Everything about this post seems backwards.

Well that plus made up program. Not surprising.

Please I already answered this question and Rushfive posted my reply to it for you to see. Hope you got it. Thank you.

In addition, I didn't make up the program. Jason Blaha came up with it. The only thing I changed was to work out with the program 5 or 6 days a week instead of the 3 days Jason recommends.

But with all the advice about giving my muscles time to rest with full days in between I have decided to scale back.

It sounds like you are going to take the rest days now but what yopeeps was getting at is that taking a program and then changing it (and ignoring the rest days in order to do it 6x/week rather than 3x/week is changing it since rest days are an integral part of lifting weights) is making up your own program.

Got it. Thank you!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Are you not sore after these workouts? I would guess not as you're doing them 5-6 days a week.

I'd drop back to following the program and up your weights. You can challenge yourself ("give your body more") by upping the intensity instead of the frequency.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ICF Workout A
    Novice Program
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 3 8
    Tricep Extensions 3 8
    Straight Bar or Incline Curls 3 8
    Hyperextensions with plate 2 10
    Cable Crunches 3 10

ICF Workout B
    Novice Program
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row (10% lighter than Workout A) 5 5
    Close Grip Bench Press 3 8
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Jeez what is so wrong about deadlifts in newbie programs. The bold are the three big lifts that all lifters talk about if they do them. So if this workout is easy there are two solutions you could do.
    1) jump up in weight ASAP.
    2) not recommended for a new lifter but shorter breaks.
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    Katbody10 wrote: »
    Weight gain may simply be muscle weight as well as water gain for starters. However, since you seem to be doing everything correctly, I suggest you keep track of your body measurements. Lifting weights builds muscle and burns fat. So you are likely losing fat and inches and instead getting stronger and heavier with muscle weight. :smiley: YAY! This is good .. more muscle means increased metabolism and you'll be able to eat more to maintain your weight. You can continue to eat a deficit in the meantime if you're really concerned about the weight, though at this point, being lean and muscular will weigh more than flabby fat. :wink:

Thank you. I've been told that it's not muscle gain but water retention since I'm on a deficit.

I'm certainly gaining strength since I'm upping my weight lifts, getting toned and losing cellulite - YAY!!!!!!! I'd like to see a drop in scale weight which should come when my body acclimates to the water retention, etc.

I love lean and muscular - looking forward to getting there :smiley:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, you will likely find that if you take the prescribed rest days and eat at your MFP goal, you will gain strength more easily.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Add another in the "OP asks for advice, gets it, discards it" column.

Exactly what I was thinking - you're undereating and over-working your body. I have never heard of a tried and true full body weight-lifting program that prescribes lifting 5-6 days a week. Your body need to recover.

That being said, you're not gaining... fat or muscle...

To to OP - I would seriously cut back on the lifting so often - you saw great results in the past when you were lifting 3x a week. If your body craves extra exercise, go for a walk or jog and yoga or bike or anything but extra lifting. I really think you'll see major gains if you allow your body to rest - a 60lbs squat and 80 lbs deadlift is not that much for someone on a 5x5 plan. You're likely not able to increase your lifts because your body isn't getting the recovery time it needs!
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Are you not sore after these workouts? I would guess not as you're doing them 5-6 days a week.

I'd drop back to following the program and up your weights. You can challenge yourself ("give your body more") by upping the intensity instead of the frequency.

I felt sore the first 2 days but after that not. I increased my protein intake and increased my sleep hours.

That's a good idea about upping the weights instead of frequency. I like it. Thank you!!!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I felt sore the first 2 days but after that not. I increased my protein intake and increased my sleep hours.

That's a good idea about upping the weights instead of frequency. I like it. Thank you!!!

If you would like to try more the what the program says to increase make a bigger jump in weight and do the same set reps workout.
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    ICF Workout A
    Novice Program
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 3 8
    Tricep Extensions 3 8
    Cable Crunches 3 10

ICF Workout B
    Novice Program
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Jeez what is so wrong about deadlifts in newbie programs. The bold are the three big lifts that all lifters talk about if they do them. So if this workout is easy there are two solutions you could do.

Thank you, Yopeeps! I like solution # 1 :smiley:
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ICF Workout A
    Novice Program
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Bench Press 5 5
    Bent Over Row 5 5
    Barbell Shrugs 3 8
    Tricep Extensions 3 8
    Cable Crunches 3 10

ICF Workout B
    Novice Program
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Squats 5 5
    Deadlift 1 5
    Standing Press 5 5
    Cable Crunches 3 10

Thank you, Yopeeps! I like solution # 1 :smiley:

Now for me and my goals every other exercise there I would call them accessory workouts. My goals are really high lifts for the three lifts. Well one of my goals.
  • ngaliyin
    Options

If you would like to try more the what the program says to increase make a bigger jump in weight and do the same set reps workout.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Move up from 60lb squat to 64lbs (example) and keep at 5x5. That's what you mean, right?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Move up from 60lb squat to 64lbs (example) and keep at 5x5. That's what you mean, right?

Wait, you've been running ICF and only squatting 60lbs? Are you following the weight increases as designed in the program? If not, that might be why you feel the program is too easy for you.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well since you say your workout is easy take whatever your 5x5 are and add 10 pounds immediately to the three big lifts.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just butting my head in to say "stop doing ICF 5-6 days a week" and "water retention".
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Wait, you've been running ICF and only squatting 60lbs? Are you following the weight increases as designed in the program? If not, that might be why you feel the program is too easy for you.

Isn't ICF just SL5x5+accessories? I thought it increased by 5/10 pounds per workout like SL.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Isn't ICF just SL5x5+accessories? I thought it increased by 5/10 pounds per workout like SL.

That's what I thought as well, hence my confusion.
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Easy? heck no! Love - oh yes! I don't think it's easy, I just LOVE it!!!!! I go by what's heavy for me and back track when I can't lift with good form or finish the set at the increased weight.