Deficit, Heavy lifting and Gaining Weight? Why?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Are you not sore after these workouts? I would guess not as you're doing them 5-6 days a week.

I'd drop back to following the program and up your weights. You can challenge yourself ("give your body more") by upping the intensity instead of the frequency.

I felt sore the first 2 days but after that not. I increased my protein intake and increased my sleep hours.

That's a good idea about upping the weights instead of frequency. I like it. Thank you!!!

If you would like to try more the what the program says to increase make a bigger jump in weight and do the same set reps workout.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Move up from 60lb squat to 64lbs (example) and keep at 5x5. That's what you mean, right?

Wait, you've been running ICF and only squatting 60lbs? Are you following the weight increases as designed in the program? If not, that might be why you feel the program is too easy for you.

Isn't ICF just SL5x5+accessories? I thought it increased by 5/10 pounds per workout like SL.

That's what I thought as well, hence my confusion.

I thought that maybe she is increasing 2.5/5 instead but the jump from 60 to 64 kind of threw me off.

She did say (example)

True, but if she's doing well enough to essentially run the program twice a week, there's probably not a reason to not follow the weight increases as written at least until she gets closer to a stall.

I increase 1.5/3 and back track if my form is even slightly incorrect or can't finish the set.

I read in many posts in the forum that for a newbie (me), form is more important than increasing weight. I follow this to prevent injuries.

Also remember I've only been doing ICF 5x5 @ 5/6 days per week for only 2.5 weeks and Jason recommends weight increases every other session not every session as in SL (though I know little about SL).

Thank you :smiley:

Gotcha. Form is always more important than weight, although I'm thinking you could likely increase a little faster than you are. But do whatever you think is best for you preserving your form. Once the weight does get higher, you will likely not want to workout as much as you do; you'll learn to love the rest days!

You're right about this - Now that I'm incorporating the rest days I'll give the recommended 5lb increase every other session a good go while keeping a focused eye on proper form.

I'm so grateful for all your support. I can only get better by implementing them. Thank you!!!!!

What are your lifting goals?

For now, my goals are to drop fat while firming up and getting stronger. I see myself building muscle after I reach my goal weight or close. I want my muscles on display as much as possible :smiley:

Than you shouldn't set yourself up for a goal weight, just lift as heavy as you can in your deficit and shoot for a goal BF%.

BF % you say? I thought that only came into play at or close to my goal weight. How does it work exactly when I'm focused on bf% instead of scale weight? Is there a different format this?

Please elaborate. Thank you!

Progress photos.
    Muscle definition
    Those are two ways you can tell when body fat is dropping.

I see...so keep doing what I'm doing with eating at deficit and lifting, but instead of letting the scale tell me how I'm doing, take pictures to see the difference. Thank you :smiley:

Also buy some smaller clothes. Picture usually do the trick. I never actually told myself or though of myself as having any sort of muscular physique going. I now question myself when looking at my profile pic.
  • ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Are you not sore after these workouts? I would guess not as you're doing them 5-6 days a week.

I'd drop back to following the program and up your weights. You can challenge yourself ("give your body more") by upping the intensity instead of the frequency.

I felt sore the first 2 days but after that not. I increased my protein intake and increased my sleep hours.

That's a good idea about upping the weights instead of frequency. I like it. Thank you!!!

If you would like to try more the what the program says to increase make a bigger jump in weight and do the same set reps workout.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Move up from 60lb squat to 64lbs (example) and keep at 5x5. That's what you mean, right?

Wait, you've been running ICF and only squatting 60lbs? Are you following the weight increases as designed in the program? If not, that might be why you feel the program is too easy for you.

Isn't ICF just SL5x5+accessories? I thought it increased by 5/10 pounds per workout like SL.

I thought that maybe she is increasing 2.5/5 instead but the jump from 60 to 64 kind of threw me off.

She did say (example)

True, but if she's doing well enough to essentially run the program twice a week, there's probably not a reason to not follow the weight increases as written at least until she gets closer to a stall.

I increase 1.5/3 and back track if my form is even slightly incorrect or can't finish the set.

I read in many posts in the forum that for a newbie (me), form is more important than increasing weight. I follow this to prevent injuries.

Also remember I've only been doing ICF 5x5 @ 5/6 days per week for only 2.5 weeks and Jason recommends weight increases every other session not every session as in SL (though I know little about SL).

Gotcha. Form is always more important than weight, although I'm thinking you could likely increase a little faster than you are. But do whatever you think is best for you preserving your form. Once the weight does get higher, you will likely not want to workout as much as you do; you'll learn to love the rest days!

You're right about this - Now that I'm incorporating the rest days I'll give the recommended 5lb increase every other session a good go while keeping a focused eye on proper form.

I'm so grateful for all your support. I can only get better by implementing them. Thank you!!!!!

For now, my goals are to drop fat while firming up and getting stronger. I see myself building muscle after I reach my goal weight or close. I want my muscles on display as much as possible :smiley:

Than you shouldn't set yourself up for a goal weight, just lift as heavy as you can in your deficit and shoot for a goal BF%.

BF % you say? I thought that only came into play at or close to my goal weight. How does it work exactly when I'm focused on bf% instead of scale weight? Is there a different format this?

Progress photos.
    Muscle definition

This. I use the scale also as a rough guide, but I also take weekly measurements and monthly photos. There are weeks when the scale doesn't move several weeks in a row or goes up. But my pictures show a difference. I use the scale as a rough guide, but it does have some severe limitations.

If I'm understanding correctly, muscles don't grow when on deficit, but lifting on deficit preserves them while lbs drop which allows them to show once a big chunk of fat is gone?

Question: I came across a thread in the success stories section here called " I went from size 20 to size 8 in one year with weight lifting". The OP of this thread has pictures of herself showing good muscle (growth?) while lifting no more than 30lbs. Can you make sense of it? She looks rockin' :smiley:

Thank you.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

She did say (example)

Progress photos.
    Muscle definition

This. I use the scale also as a rough guide, but I also take weekly measurements and monthly photos. There are weeks when the scale doesn't move several weeks in a row or goes up. But my pictures show a difference. I use the scale as a rough guide, but it does have some severe limitations.

If I'm understanding correctly, muscles don't grow when on deficit, but lifting on deficit preserves them while lbs drop which allows them to show once a big chunk of fat is gone?

Question: I came across a thread in the success stories section here called " I went from size 20 to size 8 in one year with weight lifting". The OP of this thread has pictures of herself showing good muscle (growth?) while lifting no more than 30lbs. Can you make sense of it? She looks rockin' :smiley:

Thank you.

I would have to ask that OP a few questions like was she in a calorie deficit the whole year? Did she start at body weight exercises? Was she able to use progressive overload throughout the whole year?
  • ramepithecus
    ramepithecus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    When my husband started strength training, he plateaued for two weeks. Before he got super mad, his weight dropped by 5 lbs in 3 days. Your body is holding on water to repair your muscle, so don't worry about it too much.

Thank you for this. So very good to know. I look forward to a drop in weight on the scale :smiley:

I just did the very same thing: my weight held steady or slightly increased for 8 weeks and then I dropped 5 lbs below my starting point in week 9. (I was aiming for .5lbs per week so it's exactly on target.) It's got to be water to change so quickly.
  • ngaliyin
    Options

She did say (example)

As discussed, we lose water, fat, and muscle in a deficit...and building appreciable muscle is extremely difficult. We work to maintain muscle so we lose mostly fat and water.

What this means is a person not maintaing muscle mass in a deficit may lose weight faster than a person lifting, but more often than not aren't lowering their BF% as fast as the person who's maintaing muscle even though that person isn't losing weight as fast.

"Muscles on display" 100% comes from lifting in a defict, to maintan muscle while stripping the fat from the top of the muscles your maintaining....reducing BF%

This is quite interesting to me in an exciting way. My understanding was that muscles couldn't really be on display until goal weight, at which time only through bulk/cut cycles or maintenance while lifting (longer) that muscles can be built for display.

But, what you're saying is that lifting while on a deficit eventually leads to muscles on display. This actually makes sense because the beautiful OP of the success stories thread "I went from size 20 to size 8 in one year with weight lifting" shows pictures of her looking fabulous (muscles on display) and she wasn't lifting what I'd consider heavy for me.

Thank you so very much :smiley:

• ngaliyin
    Options

She did say (example)

Progress photos.
    Muscle definition

Thank you.

I would have to ask that OP a few questions like was she in a calorie deficit the whole year? Did she start at body weight exercises? Was she able to use progressive overload throughout the whole year?

I read her whole thread. She was on a deficit the whole year, she designed her own weight lifting program as a newbie doing it at her home (she has a picture of her really modest set up) and she started out with 5lb dumbells and increased as she went.
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    When my husband started strength training, he plateaued for two weeks. Before he got super mad, his weight dropped by 5 lbs in 3 days. Your body is holding on water to repair your muscle, so don't worry about it too much.

Thank you for this. So very good to know. I look forward to a drop in weight on the scale :smiley:

I just did the very same thing: my weight held steady or slightly increased for 8 weeks and then I dropped 5 lbs below my starting point in week 9. (I was aiming for .5lbs per week so it's exactly on target.) It's got to be water to change so quickly.

Thank you for confirming. I'm looking forward to that drop which I now know will soon happen. Must have felt really good to see that change on the scale. Congratulations :smiley:
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Excuse me while I SCREAM about the pat "water retention" response. That is an easy, convenient, cover all answer and it just does not work that way. First of all, water retention would cause bloating to a certain extent which would, in turn, cause your clothing to feel tighter and even potentially cause your clothing size to increase. It is also unlikely that water retention could cause an increase of nearly four pounds.

In all likelihood, it is one of two things... or both. Your body weight fluctuates from day to day - even within a few hours! Try weighing yourself at 6:00 a.m., noon, and six p.m. (I have often theorized that, if the moon can move oceans it can certainly affect the water in your body!)

Then, too, if you have been lifting in the past and have seen a loss of weight, you might be expecting to see the same kind of results now. But, chances are, you have lost a good deal of fat tissue with that first round of lifting and now you might well be expecting the same thing. But, since you don't have as much body fat to deal with, you shouldn't expect the same degree of results.

Since you are not seeing any appreciable change in size but have a slight gain in weight, what is probably happening is that you are simply "converting" fat tissue to muscle mass. Note: You cannot really "convert" fat to muscle. But, as you gain muscle mass and eliminate fat tissue, you may well notice that, while your own body mass does not substantially change - you have the same clothing size, etc. - you might be gaining some muscle weight. Muscle takes up less space than fat and so, while you may well be the same size, you have a higher percentage of denser muscle tissue to fatty tissue. And that's a good thing!

In other words, Don't sweat the small stuff! What the measuring tape says is far more important that what the scale says!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Excuse me while I SCREAM about the pat "water retention" response. That is an easy, convenient, cover all answer and it just does not work that way. First of all, water retention would cause bloating to a certain extent which would, in turn, cause your clothing to feel tighter and even potentially cause your clothing size to increase. It is also unlikely that water retention could cause an increase of nearly four pounds.

In all likelihood, it is one of two things... or both. Your body weight fluctuates from day to day - even within a few hours! Try weighing yourself at 6:00 a.m., noon, and six p.m. (I have often theorized that, if the moon can move oceans it can certainly affect the water in your body!)

Then, too, if you have been lifting in the past and have seen a loss of weight, you might be expecting to see the same kind of results now. But, chances are, you have lost a good deal of fat tissue with that first round of lifting and now you might well be expecting the same thing. But, since you don't have as much body fat to deal with, you shouldn't expect the same degree of results.

Since you are not seeing any appreciable change in size but have a slight gain in weight, what is probably happening is that you are simply "converting" fat tissue to muscle mass. Note: You cannot really "convert" fat to muscle. But, as you gain muscle mass and eliminate fat tissue, you may well notice that, while your own body mass does not substantially change - you have the same clothing size, etc. - you might be gaining some muscle weight. Muscle takes up less space than fat and so, while you may well be the same size, you have a higher percentage of denser muscle tissue to fatty tissue. And that's a good thing!

In other words, Don't sweat the small stuff! What the measuring tape says is far more important that what the scale says!

Um, water retention from exercise 100% works that way....

So you're saying....the female OP is gaining muscle....in a deficit...so fast that it would negate fat loss......in 2.5 weeks?
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try calculating your lean body mass, but I would think with all that activity(especially if you aren't eating back calories) that you are in too much of a deficit. Also, your body needs rest days to recover, no ifs and or buts. If you aren't getting 9 hours of sleep a night and not taking rest days and not eating enough, you will put on weight and most likely it won't be lean body mass.
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Thank you! Interesting food for thought for me. Since I'm not really familiar with how fat converts or how muscles grow, I'm looking forward to learning more from any discussion that ensues as a result of your thoughts here :smiley:
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Um, water retention from exercise 100% works that way....

So you're saying....the female OP is gaining muscle....in a deficit...so fast that it would negate fat loss......in 2.5 weeks?

Hmmmm...I'm excited to learn more. I wonder what ReeseG4350 thinks about your question and if others might want to discuss further.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Every time I mix up my routine or the day after a hard cardio (or long sesh) I end up gaining. It's normal
  • ngaliyin
    Options
    Try calculating your lean body mass, but I would think with all that activity(especially if you aren't eating back calories) that you are in too much of a deficit. Also, your body needs rest days to recover, no ifs and or buts. If you aren't getting 9 hours of sleep a night and not taking rest days and not eating enough, you will put on weight and most likely it won't be lean body mass.

Thank you so much! I have scaled back and now take more rest days. I get 7 to 9 hours of sleep and rest a lot during the day. Other than water retention, what weight could I be putting on eating on a deficit? I certainly hope it's not fat! I'm not eating back any workout calories. Do you think eating between 1200 and 1550 calories per day while lifting could hamper my progress toward fat loss?
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you! Interesting food for thought for me. Since I'm not really familiar with how fat converts or how muscles grow, I'm looking forward to learning more from any discussion that ensues as a result of your thoughts here :smiley:

What this poster is describing is a body recomp where you shred fat while keeping muscle mass (as much as possible) eating maintenance. You're in a deficit and you're not a newbie lifter.

BTW water retention does not cause bloating like what that poster is explaining. Also I can retain 5 pounds of water weight off of high sodium alone. Never done it with high sodium and high carbs levels and new workout routine.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's water retention. Every time I mix up my routine or the day after a hard cardio (or long sesh) I end up gaining. It's normal

Yep, I can gain up to 6 lbs when I change up or add on to my routine....and don't bloat.
  • ngaliyin
    Options

Thank you. It'd be nice to see what I weigh when the water retention eases up.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Why would you lift heavy on a deficit anyways? I just find that to be a challenge..extremely hard to build strength on a deficit and add on to the lack of energy..
  • ngaliyin
    Options

What this poster is describing is a body recomp where you shred fat while keeping muscle mass (as much as possible) eating maintenance. You're in a deficit and you're not a newbie lifter.

BTW water retention does not cause bloating like what that poster is explaining. Also I can retain 5 pounds of water weight off of high sodium alone. Never done it with high sodium and high carbs levels and new workout routine.

I'm going to assume I'm not in the range of this recomp because I still have many lbs to lose while recomp seems to be for people ready to maintain their weight?

So the water retention happens all over the body instead of a specific spot?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Why would you lift heavy on a deficit anyways? I just find that to be a challenge..extremely hard to build strength on a deficit and add on to the lack of energy..

for fat loss.