Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Calling all Freaks, Geeks, Dweebs and Nerds alike!

Options

Replies

• fitcurves6693
    fitcurves6693 Posts: 3,401 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks, I try :)
    funny-pictures-auto-demotivation-games-370290.jpeg

Hahaha that's brilliant!

tumblr_m1csvzfSTA1rn95k2o1_500.gif
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Barney FTW too, you are on a roll!
  • AmericanIdiot666
    AmericanIdiot666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • nzMattO
    nzMattO Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Putting whoopie cushions on the bosses chair is getting boring....from now on I'm going to mix it up a little by filling them with gravy.
  • fitcurves6693
    Options
    animated-fart-hunter.gif
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    lzwzr4lqtoi3.jpg

This is really good.
  • Jonny15121983
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it too, I'm always having to try and explain to people why books are better than the films, now I can just show them this haha I'll always love books over books made into films, you just can't capture that inner monologue, depth of emotion and character in 'a look' like a book pulls off :)
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed it too, I'm always having to try and explain to people why books are better than the films, now I can just show them this haha I'll always love books over books made into films, you just can't capture that inner monologue, depth of emotion and character in 'a look' like a book pulls off :)

Hopefully people still listen to you, my friends refuse to go to the movies with me now because of my rants. :expressionless:
  • Jruzer
    Options
    138shades wrote: »

I believe movies really distort the fascination of allowing our perception to depict what we are reading. Books allow us to create in our minds what a movie tends to have a hard time doing.

Yes. Ask the average LoTR moviegoer what a "balrog" is and they will almost certainly describe this thing, which for sure is pretty cool and looks like an extra from "Doom":
    hTlvDht.png?1

But here are parts of the actual description of the balrog: what's implied is more terrifying than what's said:
    What it was could not be seen: it was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it.
    His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings. It raised the whip, and the thongs whined and cracked. Fire came from its nostrils.
    At least part of the terror of the Balrog is not it's physical presence but its ability to dominate the minds and souls of all who encounter it.

(I won't get into the "wings" vs "no wings" debate. ;) )
  • Jruzer
    Options
    In my opinion, no movie could ever match the beauty and poetry of this; C.S. Lewis said it was as good as anything in Homer:
    At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before,

Arise,arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
    spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthlaf his banner-bearer and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Eomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first eored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Theoden could not be outpaced. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Orome the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and the sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.
  • Jonny15121983
    Options

Hopefully people still listen to you, my friends refuse to go to the movies with me now because of my rants. :expressionless:

Haha they so rarely do lol The only people I have ever convinced are ex girfriends and only then because I would read to them each night as they went to sleep. I think there is a certain laziness for most people as we live in this world of fast gratification, audiobooks are an excellent medium to draw people onto literature and away from films. Another thing I find fascinating is that studies have shown that people who read often, especially from a young age, develop a mich better sense of empathy and all the goodness which is born from empathy. Makes sense too as readers are constantly imagining what it is like to be someone else, to view worlds from their perspective :)

I believe movies really distort the fascination of allowing our perception to depict what we are reading. Books allow us to create in our minds what a movie tends to have a hard time doing.

Excellent point, always something that deeply intrigued me growing up, how the book I read could be so very different, especially visually, from the book you read even when they were the same book. I think the way out personalities relate to the characters is a lot more free formed too and will vary from reader to reader, where as films those characters are a lot more set in stone :)

• fitcurves6693
    Options
    Cats are going to rule the world, they are sneaky like that
    giphy.gif
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options

Dude ^^^^^ YES!!! Everything about this yes!!! I could never have said our explained this any better. You win the thread today, good sir.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options

Haha they so rarely do lol The only people I have ever convinced are ex girfriends and only then because I would read to them each night as they went to sleep. I think there is a certain laziness for most people as we live in this world of fast gratification, audiobooks are an excellent medium to draw people onto literature and away from films. Another thing I find fascinating is that studies have shown that people who read often, especially from a young age, develop a mich better sense of empathy and all the goodness which is born from empathy. Makes sense too as readers are constantly imagining what it is like to be someone else, to view worlds from their perspective :)

Excellent point, always something that deeply intrigued me growing up, how the book I read could be so very different, especially visually, from the book you read even when they were the same book. I think the way out personalities relate to the characters is a lot more free formed too and will vary from reader to reader, where as films those characters are a lot more set in stone :)

Man I should have read further through the thread lol! You both make such awesome points.
    In a way I there is also a selfishness to it as well. Once a favorite movie his the screens it's sometimes a let down as well. Now you have to share the story with others, never mind if the back drop isn't exactly the same or if it's not as cool as you imagined it to be. But now you and countless others have to share the same experience of what someone else imagined it to be. After that a lot of the magic disappears.
  • SubZeroDude
    SubZeroDude Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have returned

This thread needs reviving
  • SubZeroDude
    Options
    I recently discovered this site. If anyone runs out of anime to watch on Netflix, you can subscribe to this site for anime.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/

Forums have EVERYTHING we've talked about in this thread lol but mainly "Otaku" stuff
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    nerd reporting for duty here
  • SubZeroDude
    Options
    I just want my favorite crossover story to become a movie

dredd-vs-predator.png