Quality heart rate monitor

i was set on getting a polar HRM but have heard awful things about the cheat strap not working right. I am looking for some other suggestions!

Replies

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    i have a FitBit charge HR. i love it :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    What are you wanting it for? I run with a Scosche rhythm+ armband--it syncs to my Garmin via ANT+ and could sync to a phone or whatever via Bluetooth. I find the armband *infinitely* more comfortable than the chest strap I tried.

It can be a little finicky for the first quarter mile or so, but then it settles down pretty nicely and doesn't drop data or anything. The heart rate graph syncs nicely with my pace and elevation graphs, so I assume it's working A-OK.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    So in.....
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    What are you wanting it for? I run with a Scosche rhythm+ armband--it syncs to my Garmin via ANT+ and could sync to a phone or whatever via Bluetooth. I find the armband *infinitely* more comfortable than the chest strap I tried.

It can be a little finicky for the first quarter mile or so, but then it settles down pretty nicely and doesn't drop data or anything. The heart rate graph syncs nicely with my pace and elevation graphs, so I assume it's working A-OK.
    I am wanting to use it for running as well as a new weight training/hiit program in starting soon. I need to know what my heart rate is at certain points of the work outs. I also want a more accurate calorie count. :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited July 2015
    Polar H7 strap works well, not to mention it is very accurate. Where did you "hear" all the negativity?
  • jensquish1
    Makhai_ wrote: »
    So in.....

What?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    What awful things have you heard? I've been wearing the same one for 3 years, haven't had any problems. I've used it with my FT80, Loop and bluetooth sensor, and V800 and H7 Sensor, all my sensors still work.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    I've had a Polar FT4 for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem with the chest strap. I had to change the batteries in the watch once but that was it.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    So in.....

What?
    Sorry, looking for a new one myself. Been using a Timex for years. It works well, but want to see what else is out there and what others are using and like.
  • jensquish1
    I've had a Polar FT4 for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem with the chest strap. I had to change the batteries in the watch once but that was it.
    A lot of the reviews I've read were saying that the strap wasn't picking up the heart rates well and that the device would go to crap within a short time. I know things happen. I really just want more suggestions to make the "best" purchase. I don't want to have to fiddle with the dang chest strap while trying to work out because it's being a pain. It seems as though a lot of people were having issues with it.
  • jensquish1
    So in.....

What?
    Sorry, looking for a new one myself. Been using a Timex for years. It works well, but want to see what else is out there and what others are using and like.

Haha okay
  • jensquish1
    What awful things have you heard? I've been wearing the same one for 3 years, haven't had any problems. I've used it with my FT80, Loop and bluetooth sensor, and V800 and H7 Sensor, all my sensors still work.
    Reviews online about the chest strap not picking up heart rates. Maybe user error?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited July 2015
    A lot of the reviews I've read were saying that the strap wasn't picking up the heart rates well and that the device would go to crap within a short time. I know things happen. I really just want more suggestions to make the "best" purchase. I don't want to have to fiddle with the dang chest strap while trying to work out because it's being a pain. It seems as though a lot of people were having issues with it.

My strap has been through the washer several times and no problem the only time I've had faulty reading is from faulty cardio equipment, but my monitor didn't miss a beat. Most of the problem is with the strap not being wet, and not sticking to your skin. I've found soaking it and applying a little electro gel, or KY jelly fixes that problem.

The one thing I have noticed, which is not a problem for me. I have the H7 sensor that uses both bluetooth, and the old technology to sync with cardio equipment, is if I sweat to much and my shirt is soaked, it will switch, but I only know this because I see it on my chart, and notice the HR is faded.

• BasicGreatGuy

The problem with Amazon reviews is that what you may be reading may not be for the item you are researching. Amazon does a terrible job with making sure reviews are for the correct item in question.

Also, a lot of negative early reviews often come from people with Android devices, who had and may still have trouble syncing with their device. There are a lot of different flavors of Android, unlike iPhone, which is the mainstay for Polar.

There are also some people who have had defective sensors. That can happen with any product. There are also people complaining about what they believe is a bad device, when they probably didn't take care of the sensor or watch like they should every day.

And last but not least, you have to be careful about the phony reviews. There are literally thousands of them on Amazon.

I read Amazon reviews when researching a product. However, I don't put a lot of weight with them either. I go to as many sources as I can.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

I am wanting to use it for running as well as a new weight training/hiit program in starting soon. I need to know what my heart rate is at certain points of the work outs. I also want a more accurate calorie count. :)

Beyond the irony of you asking online for opinions on HRMs to clarify/counter online reviews ....

HRMs are not going to give you an accurate caloric estimate for lifting or HIIT.

Are you looking for one that connects to your phone? To gym equipment? That comes with its own watch display?
  • jensquish1

My strap has been through the washer several times and no problem the only time I've had faulty reading is from faulty cardio equipment, but my monitor didn't miss a beat. Most of the problem is with the strap not being wet, and not sticking to your skin. I've found soaking it and applying a little electro gel, or KY jelly fixes that problem.

The one thing I have noticed, which is not a problem for me. I have the H7 sensor that uses both bluetooth, and the old technology to sync with cardio equipment, is if I sweat to much and my shirt is soaked, it will switch, but I only know this because I see it on my chart, and notice the HR is faded.
    Good to know! Thank you for your input.
  • jensquish1

The problem with Amazon reviews is that what you may be reading may not be for the item you are researching. Amazon does a terrible job with making sure reviews are for the correct item in question.

Also, a lot of negative early reviews often come from people with Android devices, who had and may still have trouble syncing with their device. There are a lot of different flavors of Android, unlike iPhone, which is the mainstay for Polar.

There are also some people who have had defective sensors. That can happen with any product. There are also people complaining about what they believe is a bad device, when they probably didn't take care of the sensor or watch like they should every day.

And last but not least, you have to be careful about the phony reviews. There are literally thousands of them on Amazon.

I read Amazon reviews when researching a product. However, I don't put a lot of weight with them either. I go to as many sources as I can.
    Very true. I've never purchased or owned a HRM so I really don't know a whole lot. Thank you!
  • jensquish1

Beyond the irony of you asking online for opinions on HRMs to clarify/counter online reviews ....

HRMs are not going to give you an accurate caloric estimate for lifting or HIIT.

Are you looking for one that connects to your phone? To gym equipment? That comes with its own watch display?
    Haha true... If it connects to my iPhone I would be happy! lol I don't really care for it connecting to gym equipment.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited July 2015

Haha true... If it connects to my iPhone I would be happy! lol I don't really care for it connecting to gym equipment.

The H7 sensor will connect to your phone, don't know if that's the one you were looking at. you don't need the watch for it.

• BasicGreatGuy
    edited July 2015
    If you get the H7 monitor, you can use the free Polar Beat app with your iPhone (which is very good). It will automatically upload your daily workout figures to polarpersonaltrainer.com (once you set up a free Polar account). Very good tool for tracking progress.