Options
2»

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    jensquish1 wrote: »
    What are you wanting it for? I run with a Scosche rhythm+ armband--it syncs to my Garmin via ANT+ and could sync to a phone or whatever via Bluetooth. I find the armband *infinitely* more comfortable than the chest strap I tried.

It can be a little finicky for the first quarter mile or so, but then it settles down pretty nicely and doesn't drop data or anything. The heart rate graph syncs nicely with my pace and elevation graphs, so I assume it's working A-OK.
    I am wanting to use it for running as well as a new weight training/hiit program in starting soon. I need to know what my heart rate is at certain points of the work outs. I also want a more accurate calorie count. :)

Beyond the irony of you asking online for opinions on HRMs to clarify/counter online reviews ....

HRMs are not going to give you an accurate caloric estimate for lifting or HIIT.

Are you looking for one that connects to your phone? To gym equipment? That comes with its own watch display?
    Haha true... If it connects to my iPhone I would be happy! lol I don't really care for it connecting to gym equipment.

OK ... for the ones that read the electrical impulses from your heart (chest strap required) that leaves the Polar H6 and H7, 4iiii Viiiiva, and Wahoo Tickr line of straps. There are also the optical sensors such as the Scosche Rhythm + and Mio's arm mounted straps.

All of those get good reviews for accurately tracking HR and work with Bluetooth devices such as an iPhone or Android.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Another H7 recommendation. This is by far the best one I've ever had. The previous Polar bluetooth HRM was crap. Very erratic and unreliable. But they fixed all these issues with the H7.

I also purchased 2 extra straps (very cheap) since I run 4-5 days per week and the straps tend to smell bad. I know you are not supposed to, but I throw mine in the washer and it comes out smelling (and working) good as new.
  • alyssa88005
    alyssa88005 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar FT4 for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem with the chest strap. I had to change the batteries in the watch once but that was it.
    A lot of the reviews I've read were saying that the strap wasn't picking up the heart rates well and that the device would go to crap within a short time. I know things happen. I really just want more suggestions to make the "best" purchase. I don't want to have to fiddle with the dang chest strap while trying to work out because it's being a pain. It seems as though a lot of people were having issues with it.

• alyssa88005
    alyssa88005 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My polar chest strap is always messing up! My boyfriend has one also and his is also messed up. It stops picking up the heart rate mid workout soo annoying! Kills the vibe big time!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My polar chest strap is always messing up! My boyfriend has one also and his is also messed up. It stops picking up the heart rate mid workout soo annoying! Kills the vibe big time!

If it is under warranty, you and he need to contact Polar. If it isn't under warranty, he probably should get a new Polar strap for $20.00 as they don't last forever.

Have the both of you been maintaining the strap properly after every workout?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What are you wanting it for? I run with a Scosche rhythm+ armband--it syncs to my Garmin via ANT+ and could sync to a phone or whatever via Bluetooth. I find the armband *infinitely* more comfortable than the chest strap I tried.

It can be a little finicky for the first quarter mile or so, but then it settles down pretty nicely and doesn't drop data or anything. The heart rate graph syncs nicely with my pace and elevation graphs, so I assume it's working A-OK.
    I am wanting to use it for running as well as a new weight training/hiit program in starting soon. I need to know what my heart rate is at certain points of the work outs. I also want a more accurate calorie count. :)

Just an FYI but HRMs will not be at all accurate for HIIT, and even worse so for strength training. The calculation embedded in the HRM assumes steady state cardio, the further away you get from that activity the more inaccurate it will become.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I love my Zephyr HxM because the battery is rechargeable. Don't wind up using it much anymore, though. Do make sure the contacts are wet. If you are sweating, that will help.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    i was set on getting a polar HRM but have heard awful things about the cheat strap not working right. I am looking for some other suggestions!

Don't get one, they are just the closest estimate ... might as well as use the free estimate... unless your loaded then just buy whatever....
  • jensquish1
    jensquish1 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not going to get one. It's almost pointless I suppose. And I'm messing around with technology while working out I'm going to flip out lol
  • BasicGreatGuy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i was set on getting a polar HRM but have heard awful things about the cheat strap not working right. I am looking for some other suggestions!

Don't get one, they are just the closest estimate ... might as well as use the free estimate... unless your loaded then just buy whatever....

In my opinion, a heart rate monitor (which not 100% all the time) can really assist one in training, depending on the type of training. And if one takes the time to find his or her max rate, the monitor can help one be more specific in zone training. The willy nilly method is not very advantageous, in my opinion.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

In my opinion, a heart rate monitor (which not 100% all the time) can really assist one in training, depending on the type of trading. And if one takes the time to find his or her max rate, the monitor can help one be more specific in zone training. The willy nilly method is not very advantageous, in my opinion.

if by zones you mean fat burning vs. carbs, that is a crock of *kitten*. If you mean for intensity and recovery purposes, it can have its place, and would really depend on what you are training for. Buuut for cals burned they are only good under one type of exercise, steady state cardio, assuming you have the correct max HR and V02Max entered.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

In my opinion, a heart rate monitor (which not 100% all the time) can really assist one in training, depending on the type of trading. And if one takes the time to find his or her max rate, the monitor can help one be more specific in zone training. The willy nilly method is not very advantageous, in my opinion.

if by zones you mean fat burning vs. carbs, that is a crock of *kitten*. If you mean for intensity and recovery purposes, it can have its place, and would really depend on what you are training for. Buuut for cals burned they are only good under one type of exercise, steady state cardio, assuming you have the correct max HR and V02Max entered.
    No, I wasn't referring to fat zone / carb zone rhetoric.
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the HeartQ and have been very satisfied with it. It has a chest strap and I hardly can tell it's on. Love this HRM.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm probably not going to get one. It's almost pointless I suppose. And I'm messing around with technology while working out I'm going to flip out lol

Just wondering, why do you feel you will have to mess with it while working out, I've had 3 polar devices, they all still work, once i start it to recording, I don't have to touch it again until I stop it.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar FT60 for a couple years now and I've never had a problem with mine, I love it. The only thing is that you have to make sure the chest strap is tight. If it's remotely loose, no signal. I tuck mine under my bra band and can't even feel it.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Polar brand. They work great. Have used them for years. I think they are more accurate than fitbits.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I had an F11 Polar that I used for years with no problems and it is still working, I just retired it. I did have the Loop with the chest strap and I did have a lot of issues with it. It didn't consistently pair properly and unlike my F11 chest strap the one with the Loop was a hassle to change even though by appearance they appeared to be the same. I am now using the Garmin Vivosmart with the chest strap and so far I like it.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a polar h7 now and it's never given me any problems. I use it with my phone.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar Ft 7 for a few months & it's working great. It's pretty basic, but it does what I need it to do.