Trouble with rest days

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

So do that. When you've posted before, you've talked about working out again. Don't do any 'workout' on your rest days, just the kids or the dog on a nice walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

i work around a lot of professional/semi-professional athletes...they also work in seasons...they don't train balls year around...they also take weeks off here and there...yeah...full rest WEEKS.

really, if you've already made up your mind here, I see little point in dialog.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

And yet you're not resting. Or eating anywhere close to an adequate amount of food for your activity level. You're in complete denial and I'm not sure there's anything anyone here can say that you will listen to. Your posting of threads at this point is pointless. Come back when it's not about trying to justify what you clearly know is a problem.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Or keep posting

Tell us what changes you've made just for today?

What are you doing to help heal yourself?
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I agree I don't like taking rest days. I feel lazy. So, maybe take a nice long walk. Dance. Something fun to keep you moving but not overdoing it. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I agree I don't like taking rest days. I feel lazy. So, maybe take a nice long walk. Dance. Something fun to keep you moving but not overdoing it. :)

I'm pretty sure you don't net negative to a few hundred calories and workout for 2 or 4 hours a day. Please be careful where you direct your well-meaning advice.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think some of us are being too critical of others on here. Calling the OP out on repeating his questions is not going to help him or make him feel better, I understand that you guys are being upfront and real with him, which is great, but he clearly did not get the guidance he was looking for in the past...

Anyways for the OP, it's hard for me to say because I have no problems just laying back and relaxing, but some people do have a hard time sitting still. I think if you move around it's fine just don't do anything intense. Walking is fine, I wouldn't walk more than 2 miles honestly but nothing wrong with a walk around, especially now that it's summer! Don't over think, let your body communicate with you, I think that like what was said earlier holds true, if your body needs to rest, it will rest. Just curious how many hours of sleep do you get each night, try and get 8 or 9, I know with busy lives that's nearly impossible, but if you can't sit still during the day at least you can get a solid recovery through your hours of sleeping. Just a thought.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I can't remember if I posted something like this before, I'm sure the topic has come up so forgive me if I am duplicating.

Just wondering if anyone else has a real problem with rest days. I made a commitment to decrease the amount of exercise I do, increase my calories and really commit to an actual rest day. In the past my rest days consisted of just one class (between a 300-500 calorie burn), vs. over a thousand. But I know that I have to have a real rest from cardio, cross fit, MMA and weight lifting. I know I am never giving my body the time to truly recover and I am not re-feeding or anything like that. I've been trying to work in "active" rest days where I don't work out but will take my pup on a long walk... like an hour or so to at least get the steps in.

The problem I have is I don't physically feel like I need to rest! I struggle with forcing myself to not workout or go for a run or lift, etc.

Do we absolutely have to have a rest day?

I used to just keep going until my body told me it needed the rest... I'd have a day where I felt like I had cement blocks on my feet legit! That would become my rest day. It wasn't planned.

Thoughts?

Thanks

You're doing awesome - just drop weight as fast as you can no matter what you have to go through or what the consequences might be. It's all about the fastest weight loss possible and you're nailing it, girl!!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you relate to many of the following:
      • Missing important events, like school, work or social functions, in order to exercise • Exercising several hours a day • Exercising most days without taking a break • Exercising when they are sick, exhausted or injured • Feeling deeply depressed, agitated or anxious when they can’t work out • Suffering from health problems such as dehydration, exhaustion, injuries, osteoporosis, arthritis • Isolating from others • Overly focused on appearance • Overly self-critical • Amenorrhea (when a woman’s menstrual cycle stops, which can contribute to severe bone loss and reproductive problems)

If so, then please consider seeking professional advice.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    I think some of us are being too critical of others on here. Calling the OP out on repeating his questions is not going to help him or make him feel better, I understand that you guys are being upfront and real with him, which is great, but he clearly did not get the guidance he was looking for in the past...

Anyways for the OP, it's hard for me to say because I have no problems just laying back and relaxing, but some people do have a hard time sitting still. I think if you move around it's fine just don't do anything intense. Walking is fine, I wouldn't walk more than 2 miles honestly but nothing wrong with a walk around, especially now that it's summer! Don't over think, let your body communicate with you, I think that like what was said earlier holds true, if your body needs to rest, it will rest. Just curious how many hours of sleep do you get each night, try and get 8 or 9, I know with busy lives that's nearly impossible, but if you can't sit still during the day at least you can get a solid recovery through your hours of sleeping. Just a thought.

Sorry but IMHO she has cut her ability to listen to what her body is telling her based on her over exercising and under eating

This could be the worst advice for someone in the middle of an illness ...her body is lying to her, it is telling her to fit in another intense exercise session after doing two hours because she's consumed 1000 calories that day

Danger signals
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

Then this is your opportunity to learn a new skill, and that can be fun, interesting, and keep your mind engaged in positive ways.

Look into ways of dealing with that "I get anxious when I'm not active" thing.

Learn how to do walking meditation - it's a really lovely experience, and if it clicks for you, it can turn down the volume on that anxious feeling.

Pick up a coloring book for grownups and enjoy the simple fun of it all.

Pick destinations for slow, relaxing walks - go feed the ducks at the park; go to the zoo; hit the mall.

It seems like you feel pretty driven. Counseling wouldn't be a bad idea.

Yes this is what I've been doing, taking slow strolls along the water with my dog. I don't know how many miles it is, maybe one or two. It's not long. We walk slow and take in the sights and meet other dogs along the way and I always get him an ice cream at the end of the walk. It's really nice and I don't consider it exercise.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Or keep posting

Today I'm sticking to my guns about a rest day. As much as I want to go for a run or hit the gym, I'm just not. I'm going to work, read and do a leisurely stroll later on.. not for exercise, just to get my dog out and enjoy the ocean and sunshine :smile:

To heal myself... well despite a lot of mean comments here and on many of my threads and despite what many people think about me, I am reading the "good" advice and at least attempting to make positive changes with the advice that I'm receiving.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I'm good with sleep. I get between 8 to 9 hours a night and I sleep like a rock!
    I've always listened to my body. Maybe it's giving me wrong messages but I've been listening to it for years and it hasn't led me wrong yet. Aside from my calorie numbers (consumed/burned), I have always lived by eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, sleep when you're tired and move as much as possible. But I've never been a "relaxer". Something I should learn to do. I do everything with intensity and furious enthusiasm. My trainers love me because I bring the energy to their classes. I don't know... I was raised believing if you're going to do something, do it 200% or don't bother doing it at all.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Rest days are different depending who you are.

I'm 51, fat, out of shape--I need a day of doing nothing.
    In my 20's doing sprint-triathlons, a rest day meant doing only 1 of my 3 sports, not 2 (or sometimes all 3 on a weekend).

Listen to your body.

But also do be aware of the potential for obsessive/anorexic behavior.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Or keep posting

Today I'm sticking to my guns about a rest day. As much as I want to go for a run or hit the gym, I'm just not. I'm going to work, read and do a leisurely stroll later on.. not for exercise, just to get my dog out and enjoy the ocean and sunshine :smile:

To heal myself... well despite a lot of mean comments here and on many of my threads and despite what many people think about me, I am reading the "good" advice and at least attempting to make positive changes with the advice that I'm receiving.

Good :)

I think your stroll sounds wonderful
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Also eat some eggs. Just not 50 of them.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I exercised too much. :|
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I read an article that compared pro cyclists to normal cyclists. A normal cyclist has an off day and doesn't ride a bicycle. A pro cyclist rides fifteen miles on an off day. According to the article, you recover better by doing some activity, just not as much as you normally do.

Are you paying attention? This woman needs help to not push herself. Perhaps you should read everything in the thread before posting.

Perhaps you should read what I wrote again. The OP asked if it was absolutely necessary to have a rest day and I pointed out that pro athletes do some activity, even on rest days. Of course, that might be only 10% of what they normally do.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options

And yet you're not resting. Or eating anywhere close to an adequate amount of food for your activity level. You're in complete denial and I'm not sure there's anything anyone here can say that you will listen to. Your posting of threads at this point is pointless. Come back when it's not about trying to justify what you clearly know is a problem.

Wow... mean much? must be nice to be so perfect!
    So tell me, what are you training for?