Trouble with rest days

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Gosh, I wish I exercised too much. :|

I realize that this was probably a light-hearted comment, but a compulsion to over-exercise is nothing to wish for. It can cause serious health problems and doesn't feel any better than any other type of compulsion.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Or keep posting

Tell us what changes you've made just for today?

What are you doing to help heal yourself?

Today I'm sticking to my guns about a rest day. As much as I want to go for a run or hit the gym, I'm just not. I'm going to work, read and do a leisurely stroll later on.. not for exercise, just to get my dog out and enjoy the ocean and sunshine :smile:

To heal myself... well despite a lot of mean comments here and on many of my threads and despite what many people think about me, I am reading the "good" advice and at least attempting to make positive changes with the advice that I'm receiving.

Good :)

I think your stroll sounds wonderful

Yeah it's wicked nice and I love spending time with my pup!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Gosh, I wish I exercised too much. :|

I realize that this was probably a light-hearted comment, but a compulsion to over-exercise is nothing to wish for. It can cause serious health problems and doesn't feel any better than any other type of compulsion.

It's all good, no worries. I got a laugh out of the comment :smile:
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also add that a rest day doesn't mean you have to just sit on your *kitten*...I have a 3 y.o. and a 5 y.o. at home...there's no such thing as sitting on my *kitten* doing nothing. On my rest days I still take the dog for a walk...I will still walk around the zoo with my kids...I will still play with them at the park. I'm just resting from deliberate, moderate to vigorous exercise.

THIS. All of this. No such thing as a rest day on the sofa all day long in my world. And no need. I use the same approach for my rest days.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would also add that a rest day doesn't mean you have to just sit on your *kitten*...I have a 3 y.o. and a 5 y.o. at home...there's no such thing as sitting on my *kitten* doing nothing. On my rest days I still take the dog for a walk...I will still walk around the zoo with my kids...I will still play with them at the park. I'm just resting from deliberate, moderate to vigorous exercise.

THIS. All of this. No such thing as a rest day on the sofa all day long in my world. And no need. I use the same approach for my rest days.

Like active rest but nothing you would call exercise really.
    Like when I walk, in my head I'm happy about getting the steps in and I feel like I'm getting at least a good stretch but I don't think about the timing or calorie burning or anything like that. It's just a walk and a chance to stretch my legs and breate deep and enjoy the outdoors without flipping huge tires or running trails through the mud carrying weights lol!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I read an article that compared pro cyclists to normal cyclists. A normal cyclist has an off day and doesn't ride a bicycle. A pro cyclist rides fifteen miles on an off day. According to the article, you recover better by doing some activity, just not as much as you normally do.

Are you paying attention? This woman needs help to not push herself. Perhaps you should read everything in the thread before posting.

Perhaps you should read what I wrote again. The OP asked if it was absolutely necessary to have a rest day and I pointed out that pro athletes do some activity, even on rest days. Of course, that might be only 10% of what they normally do.

Is the OP a professional cyclist in season? If not, then the applicability is limited. If you'd like to link the OP's training and rest to a professional cyclist, then why not link intake as well? Cyclists eat to fuel their body ... this OP logs negative net intake days on a regular basis.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

And yet you're not resting. Or eating anywhere close to an adequate amount of food for your activity level. You're in complete denial and I'm not sure there's anything anyone here can say that you will listen to. Your posting of threads at this point is pointless. Come back when it's not about trying to justify what you clearly know is a problem.

Wow... mean much? must be nice to be so perfect!
    So tell me, what are you training for?

I'm not perfect, far from it, I'm very flawed and I have been at the deep denial of having any problems stage of the game. I'm addressing some of my issues, including emotional over-eating but there was nothing anyone could have said or done until I was ready to address it myself.

I'm training purely for health, physical and mental. I wasn't aware I had to be a current pro to have an opinion. I was a competitive gymnast and did full-time professional dance training when I was younger though, if that makes my opinion any more worthy.

You ARE under-eating, I was stating a fact, you have admitted it yourself. You appear to take advice on board but then post again with the same issue. At this point, in the nicest possible way, I think you need outside professional help to get control of what clearly is a problem that will manifest itself in physical ill health at some point.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

I think you said in another thread you were going to look into treatment for disordered thinking about exercise?

Meanwhile, how about some gentle/meditative type yoga? (Power Yoga on a rest day would be cheating.)

Yoga for anxiety and depression

Studies suggest that this practice modulates the stress response.

...Available reviews of a wide range of yoga practices suggest they can reduce the impact of exaggerated stress responses and may be helpful for both anxiety and depression. In this respect, yoga functions like other self-soothing techniques, such as meditation, relaxation, exercise, or even socializing with friends.

Taming the stress response

By reducing perceived stress and anxiety, yoga appears to modulate stress response systems. This, in turn, decreases physiological arousal — for example, reducing the heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and easing respiration. There is also evidence that yoga practices help increase heart rate variability, an indicator of the body’s ability to respond to stress more flexibly.

Read more: http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/yoga-for-anxiety-and-depression
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm particularly sore, I don't take rest days. But I don't need the rest. I'm not training or trying to build up muscles or anything. A day that doesn't begin with at least a little pool workout is a day I'll have less energy. I'll just feel different.

I do it because it feels good and because I'm supposed to, though. There is no anxiety.

If you're feeling anxious, you might want to consider talking that through with a therapist. Get to the bottom of it. You might end up happier without the anxiety.

That's my advice. Take it or leave it, as you please. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

Also eat some eggs. Just not 50 of them.

No man can eat 50 eggs

• BoxerBrawler
    Options

And yet you're not resting. Or eating anywhere close to an adequate amount of food for your activity level. You're in complete denial and I'm not sure there's anything anyone here can say that you will listen to. Your posting of threads at this point is pointless. Come back when it's not about trying to justify what you clearly know is a problem.

I'm not perfect, far from it, I'm very flawed and I have been at the deep denial of having any problems stage of the game. I'm addressing some of my issues, including emotional over-eating but there was nothing anyone could have said or done until I was ready to address it myself.

I'm training purely for health, physical and mental. I wasn't aware I had to be a current pro to have an opinion. I was a competitive gymnast and did full-time professional dance training when I was younger though, if that makes my opinion any more worthy.

You ARE under-eating, I was stating a fact, you have admitted it yourself. You appear to take advice on board but then post again with the same issue. At this point, in the nicest possible way, I think you need outside professional help to get control of what clearly is a problem that will manifest itself in physical ill health at some point.

I'm glad you're in it for health and well being and no you don't have to be a pro to have an opinion but really? Why not just tell me to stfu and go away! lol!

Yes. I know that I under eat. But this particular post is about rest days, not my caloric intake. By now it's clear that folks can lose weight without exercising at all. I am here talking about athetic ability, performance and the importance of rest and how folks deal with it. I've received a lot of great advice and good ideas like yoga, meditation, etc. I am taking those points seriously. What I can't take seriously is someone simply pointing out my flaws and telling me to come back when I'm serious, especially considering the fact that you have no idea who I am. As a former competitive gymnast I'm sure you can understand the importance of continuous training. I am sure my ufc opponents aren't exactly napping on their rest days. And yes, before it's brought up again I do realise that I need to fuel my exercise and performance. The reason why my posts keep turning out the same is because people keep making it that way. I am working on it, from all angles, trying to incorporate more calories and less exercise. It will all come together at some point but it can't happen overnight. I'm seeing my doctor and incorporating many of the ideas that people have given me. Your opinion counts just as much as anyone else but at least try to make it constructive.

My diary is good today so far, I've eaten close to 1000 calories with no real exercise and it's not even 12:30 yet! For me that's huge :smile: I still have a few snacks plus dinner to go! LOL

Thanks!

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

I think you said in another thread you were going to look into treatment for disordered thinking about exercise?

Meanwhile, how about some gentle/meditative type yoga? (Power Yoga on a rest day would be cheating.)

Yoga for anxiety and depression

Studies suggest that this practice modulates the stress response.

...Available reviews of a wide range of yoga practices suggest they can reduce the impact of exaggerated stress responses and may be helpful for both anxiety and depression. In this respect, yoga functions like other self-soothing techniques, such as meditation, relaxation, exercise, or even socializing with friends.

Taming the stress response

By reducing perceived stress and anxiety, yoga appears to modulate stress response systems. This, in turn, decreases physiological arousal — for example, reducing the heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and easing respiration. There is also evidence that yoga practices help increase heart rate variability, an indicator of the body’s ability to respond to stress more flexibly.

Read more: http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/yoga-for-anxiety-and-depression

Yes yoga is on my list of things to incorporate into a new plan.
    Thanks for the information!
    I took yoga when I was on vacation and it was amazing! I felt wonderful after "yoga bliss"!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I'm glad you're in it for health and well being and no you don't have to be a pro to have an opinion but really? Why not just tell me to stfu and go away! lol!

Yes. I know that I under eat. But this particular post is about rest days, not my caloric intake. By now it's clear that folks can lose weight without exercising at all. I am here talking about athetic ability, performance and the importance of rest and how folks deal with it. I've received a lot of great advice and good ideas like yoga, meditation, etc. I am taking those points seriously. What I can't take seriously is someone simply pointing out my flaws and telling me to come back when I'm serious, especially considering the fact that you have no idea who I am. As a former competitive gymnast I'm sure you can understand the importance of continuous training. I am sure my ufc opponents aren't exactly napping on their rest days. And yes, before it's brought up again I do realise that I need to fuel my exercise and performance. The reason why my posts keep turning out the same is because people keep making it that way. I am working on it, from all angles, trying to incorporate more calories and less exercise. It will all come together at some point but it can't happen overnight. I'm seeing my doctor and incorporating many of the ideas that people have given me. Your opinion counts just as much as anyone else but at least try to make it constructive.

My diary is good today so far, I've eaten close to 1000 calories with no real exercise and it's not even 12:30 yet! For me that's huge :smile: I still have a few snacks plus dinner to go! LOL

Thanks!

Failure to rest only compounds your failure to eat.
  • WBB55
    Options
    you can understand the importance of continuous training.
    Most of our leagues practice some form of off season to help prevent injuries. Continuous training seems to lead to injured athletes, in my experience.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As a gymnast I had rest days and the summer season off for a few weeks. I also fuelled my body appropriately, I ate like a bodybuilder! (And probably a big contributor to my subsequent overeating whilst no longer training so intensely). You can't train well for extended periods of time without eating enough. That's why all threads go this way, it's all intrinsically linked. Your overtraining while undereating compounds what can potentially become a big problem. If nothing else, the improvements you'll make in your fitness by eating more should motivate you.

I sincerely hope you are trying to address this. One day of better intake is a good and I hope you continue to eat more.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Well I did good yesterday. I closed my diary at around 1300 - 1400 and I snacked a little after that, didn't log it, too tired! :smile: I moved around doing some housework and playing with my dog in the yard. I did take him for a nice walk last night and didn't track or log the steps or anything like that. I have my Fitbit linked here so it indicated the burn but I definitely ate more than I burned yesterday. I didn't feel bad about not working out yesterday either... I got over it. So there's a start. I am doing a class this morning but put it in my mind that this class isn't for the burn, it's for the MMA skills which I need to practice so it's about performance not weight loss.
  • WBB55
    Options
    I definitely ate more than I burned yesterday.

No you didn't. You netted about 1000 calories. Which we all applaud you for, but if you want to be a better athlete you need to eat more like this every day. Athletes don't eat negative net calories.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you don't net negative to a few hundred calories and workout for 2 or 4 hours a day. Please be careful where you direct your well-meaning advice.

...What?
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing. It's hard going from never moving to truly loving it and wanting to do it. Just remember that you are doing your body good by taking a day off. And maybe start out with 3 breaks a month. Something is better than nothing.