Trouble with rest days

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I must be missing something here. There must be another thread somewhere I haven't read because some replies seem pretty extreme.

I see nothing wrong with taking an 'active rest day' as a rest day. I don't do rest days either.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I must be missing something here. There must be another thread somewhere I haven't read because some replies seem pretty extreme.

I see nothing wrong with taking an 'active rest day' as a rest day. I don't do rest days either.

Yeah, there's other threads. She's regularly logging negative net calories while trying to maintain a strenuous training schedule. This is a recipe for injury and damage. In my sport, it's pretty obvious when the athletes have cut calories too much and aren't taking rests, since they'll show marked decrease of performance and they'll be easy targets to knock down.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

Then just do something else on your rest day/s.
    Go to the movies, have lunch with a friend.
    Exercise isn't the be all and end all.
    I welcome my rest days! :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Small changes
    I can't do it overnight
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like rest :smiley:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Here's an update...
    So last week I made the commitment with making Thursday my rest day and I struggled with it, as you know. But I did it. So here we are at Thursday again and I actually feel "OK" about taking a rest day. I don't feel guilty or stressed or anything like that. In the back of my mind I kinda/sorta want to hit the gym for a quick run LOL, but I won't. I feel like my body is appreciating the break. I am taking some advice and am taking a light yoga class today :smile: Thanks!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's an update...
    So last week I made the commitment with making Thursday my rest day and I struggled with it, as you know. But I did it. So here we are at Thursday again and I actually feel "OK" about taking a rest day. I don't feel guilty or stressed or anything like that. In the back of my mind I kinda/sorta want to hit the gym for a quick run LOL, but I won't. I feel like my body is appreciating the break. I am taking some advice and am taking a light yoga class today :smile: Thanks!

Nope

No yoga class

Rest day

Do yoga tomorrow instead
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Here's an update...

The biggest problem remains your under eating for the amount of activity you log. Yesterday ... 1228 consumed, 1352 burned though exercise ... similar the day before.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're making progress. A light yoga class sounds perfect for your rest day if it involves a lot of stretching and hopefully will quiet your mind. That's primarily what I use yoga for (not to sweat).
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Here's an update...

Nope

No yoga class

Rest day

Do yoga tomorrow instead

Really? hmmm I thought it would be good for stretching, etc.
    Funny you would say this because I kind of don't feel like even taking the class haha!

• jaga13
    Options
    Here's an update...

Nope

No yoga class

Rest day

Do yoga tomorrow instead

Really? hmmm I thought it would be good for stretching, etc.
    Funny you would say this because I kind of don't feel like even taking the class haha!

I think her concern is that you are still undereating for all the exercise you do. For someone who didn't have this issue, a light yoga class on a rest day is no biggie. However, I think yoga is a great way to quiet your mind and find some peace with issues you are struggling with, so it may be worth the small amount of calories you will burn. You may even want to confide in the yoga instructor so he/she knows that you're not there to exert yourself a lot physically.

Good luck, and I truly hope you can overcome whatever is haunting you and learn to accept food as the fuel you need.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I skipped the responses.

I don't take rest days. I don't need the rest. I don't understand why people take them and I don't want to understand it. Maybe it's to prevent injury or some bodybuilding thing - whatever. I don't need them.

When my arms are sore, I'll take it easy in the pool or even skip it entirely, but I always do something.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Here's an update...

The biggest problem remains your under eating for the amount of activity you log. Yesterday ... 1228 consumed, 1352 burned though exercise ... similar the day before.

Last 3-4 days she was waaaaay under her calories.

OP you may want to seek some help, It appears you have an eating disorder Exerexia . (excessive exercise to the point that it is the same as not eating much at all) Most people just think of 'anorexia' as meaning a starvation habit, but over-exercising has always been a recognized symptom of the disorder.

In other words, you have a type of anorexia and what you are doing is not healthy at all!!
  • jaga13
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I skipped the responses.

I don't take rest days. I don't need the rest. I don't understand why people take them and I don't want to understand it. Maybe it's to prevent injury or some bodybuilding thing - whatever. I don't need them.

When my arms are sore, I'll take it easy in the pool or even skip it entirely, but I always do something.

By skipping the responses, you did not see that OP undereats by way too much. She has identified a problem that she is working on. But in the meantime, she would benefit from rest.

But generally speaking, I understand what you're saying. I think it depends on intensity. I am active every day, but most days aren't that intense. An easy jog/swim/bike/walk can certainly be done every day. Sprinting every day? Probably not.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here's an update...

OP you may want to seek some help, It appears you have an eating disorder Exerexia . (excessive exercise to the point that it is the same as not eating much at all) Most people just think of 'anorexia' as meaning a starvation habit, but over-exercising has always been a recognized symptom of the disorder.

In other words, you have a type of anorexia and what you are doing is not healthy at all!!

It's not just 3-4 days ..it goes back months

I believe @cushman5279 knows she has an issue and a significant one and she is making small steps to change

I think she may be working up the strength to get help, she's certainly trying to make positive changes ...they just don't go far enough

I hope she continues to have the strength to ignore those who are just posting without reading or knowing the very serious issues at hand

Yes I mean it, no yoga ...it's not appropriate for your health to be scheduling an organised "exercise" class...the closer you get to doing nothing the better...the more you will realise that rest is a tool in your fitness arsenal ...an important one that benefits your body immensely

As to your food...you know what needs to be done there
  • jaga13
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Here's an update...

It's not just 3-4 days ..it goes back months

I believe @cushman5279 knows she has an issue and a significant one and she is making small steps to change

I think she may be working up the strength to get help, she's certainly trying to make positive changes ...they just don't go far enough

I hope she continues to have the strength to ignore those who are just posting without reading or knowing the very serious issues at hand

Yes I mean it, no yoga ...it's not appropriate for your health to be scheduling an organised "exercise" class...the closer you get to doing nothing the better...the more you will realise that rest is a tool in your fitness arsenal ...an important one that benefits your body immensely

As to your food...you know what needs to be done there

Agreed. Perhaps my response about light yoga should have been: try a MEDITATION class instead. Something completely NOT physical, but focuses on your mind and breathing. Better?

And yes, I hope she is working up the courage to seek help :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I totally agree with rabbitjb.
    A rest day is supposed to be a "Rest from Exercise". Yoga is still exercise!
    OP, why not go out with a friend or family member for a Meal at a nice Restaurant, have some Cake & alcohol too....enjoy yourself!!!
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    How about sitting a sauna/steam room if your gym has one? It will relax your muscles and you will have a good rest, but you wont get that dreaded "heavy" or "lethargic" feeling I usually get on my rest days.
    At the end of the days, rest days are essential, period! So you just need to workout something fun for you that you can do on your rest day that will help with the anxiety of not working out.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Rest day means just that - rest. Not 'light exercise', or 'less exercise', but rest. You ask, but then say you're still going to exercise, after you're told you should actually rest. If you really are asking for help, then take the advice, and take a day off. You've been here before, and you know there's a problem. Actually rest for a day. Watch a movie or read a book. Sip some tea. Learn to enjoy relaxation. It's important to be able to do that.

This.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I definitely ate more than I burned yesterday.

No you didn't. You netted about 1000 calories. Which we all applaud you for, but if you want to be a better athlete you need to eat more like this every day. Athletes don't eat negative net calories.

Am I misreading? You are applauding her for eating net 1000 calories? I hope that is tongue-in-cheek, because I don't applaud her. No way.