Trouble with rest days

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Here's an update...
    So last week I made the commitment with making Thursday my rest day and I struggled with it, as you know. But I did it. So here we are at Thursday again and I actually feel "OK" about taking a rest day. I don't feel guilty or stressed or anything like that. In the back of my mind I kinda/sorta want to hit the gym for a quick run LOL, but I won't. I feel like my body is appreciating the break. I am taking some advice and am taking a light yoga class today :smile: Thanks!

Nope

No yoga class

Rest day

Do yoga tomorrow instead

I agree. If you are going to rest, that means no light anything. There is nothing wrong with just lazing around and enjoying the fact that you choose not to exercise today.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Here's an update...
    So last week I made the commitment with making Thursday my rest day and I struggled with it, as you know. But I did it. So here we are at Thursday again and I actually feel "OK" about taking a rest day. I don't feel guilty or stressed or anything like that. In the back of my mind I kinda/sorta want to hit the gym for a quick run LOL, but I won't. I feel like my body is appreciating the break. I am taking some advice and am taking a light yoga class today :smile: Thanks!

Nope

No yoga class

Rest day

Do yoga tomorrow instead

I agree. If you are going to rest, that means no light anything. There is nothing wrong with just lazing around and enjoying the fact that you choose not to exercise today.

For HER, I agree. She needs to not exercise. For many other people, that is BS. I have children to run after. I can't sit around watch tv all day. What, am I gonna say "no honey, we can't walk to the playground today because it's Mommy's rest day."? Nonsense. For the average person, there is nothing wrong with an "active" rest day with some light and easy activity. Though I agree that OP is NOT the average person and has issues to work on.
  • aislingeach
    aislingeach Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If it is an exercise compulsion, why not consider your rest days to be MENTAL exercise days. Make an effort to find a new and different mental activity that pushes and exercises your brain. That would solve the need for physical rest and provide something to focus on regarding "exercise". I think your brain needs exercise too and gets enough rest at night when you sleep.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    If it is an exercise compulsion, why not consider your rest days to be MENTAL exercise days. Make an effort to find a new and different mental activity that pushes and exercises your brain. That would solve the need for physical rest and provide something to focus on regarding "exercise". I think your brain needs exercise too and gets enough rest at night when you sleep.

I love that idea.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I definitely ate more than I burned yesterday.

No you didn't. You netted about 1000 calories. Which we all applaud you for, but if you want to be a better athlete you need to eat more like this every day. Athletes don't eat negative net calories.

Am I misreading? You are applauding her for eating net 1000 calories? I hope that is tongue-in-cheek, because I don't applaud her. No way.
    Yes, because she normally nets a negative amount. Look at her diary. At least she netting SOMETHING on that day she claimed to have eaten more than she burned (which she didn't).
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I definitely ate more than I burned yesterday.

No you didn't. You netted about 1000 calories. Which we all applaud you for, but if you want to be a better athlete you need to eat more like this every day. Athletes don't eat negative net calories.

Am I misreading? You are applauding her for eating net 1000 calories? I hope that is tongue-in-cheek, because I don't applaud her. No way.
    Yes, because she normally nets a negative amount. Look at her diary. At least she netting SOMETHING on that day she claimed to have eaten more than she burned (which she didn't).

My bad, I was only looking at my calories in vs. exercise calories, not the net.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Here's an update...

As a certified yoga teacher and someone whose mental health has been improved by yoga, I do think a light yoga class would be beneficial, especially since you tend to have anxiety on your rest days.

I hope we're defining "light" the same way - nothing more strenuous than gentle stretching.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here's an update...

As a certified yoga teacher and someone whose mental health has been improved by yoga, I do think a light yoga class would be beneficial, especially since you tend to have anxiety on your rest days.

I hope we're defining "light" the same way - nothing more strenuous than gentle stretching.

I would also agree. maybe some yin or restorative where it is more mind related. it might help with the anxiety.

but to the OP, always eat enough to support your body and listen to your body. somedays rest is rest, and other days it might be a quick bedtime yoga series, or a nice stroll
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I skipped the yoga class and haven't done anything exercise wise today. I'm leaving the office soon and will do my usual stroll with my dog later. I'm not doing that for exercise or steps... I am doing that for my mental health and for my dog of course :smile: The calories burned today are just from my actions around the office today. I am on my feet quite a bit and took a walk today to grab lunch.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I first started really exercising I felt like I didn't want a rest day. Now the weight is too heavy. I relish and look forward to rest. Even though I love working out, when I wake up on a rest day I go "...ahhhhhhh"
  • WBB55
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You've netted ~600 calories so far. Are you going to make it up at dinner?

Edit for: can't math
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Let me ask you this....why not take a rest day? It's not going to hinder your progress. It can only help your muscles.

Good question. I don't have the answer other than I get anxious when I'm not active.

Then just do something else on your rest day/s.
    Go to the movies, have lunch with a friend.
    Exercise isn't the be all and end all.
    I welcome my rest days! :)

I like to do knitting on my rest day and then maybe take a bath with some scented candles and throw on a bit of Kenny G. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

Also eat some eggs. Just not 50 of them.

No man can eat 50 eggs

You, apparently, have never watched Jackass.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

I like to do knitting on my rest day and then maybe take a bath with some scented candles and throw on a bit of Kenny G. :)

Ha,Ha,.....Kenny G!
    Whatever happened to HIM?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To the OP.
    What are you actual goals? I guess I haven't seen all the threads so I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, so I am just curious what your actual goals are and why you are under eating so much? Barring the probability, that your exercise calories are quite a bit inflated I would think, you are still way under eating.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Ha,Ha,.....Kenny G!
    Whatever happened to HIM?

Kenny G never recovered from "Sax" crime allegations. Saxual assault to the ears if you will. (cough!)
  • WBB55
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    I read that most boxers, UFC and MMA fighters train five days and take two days off with just light walks or whatever on their rest days

No man can eat 50 eggs

You apparently aren't a fan of Paul Newman's blue eyes.
    source for my classic movie quote
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

No man can eat 50 eggs

Or Cool Hand Luke.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    OP, are you still here? You have two-fold issues. Over exercising is one, undereating is the other. The two are intertwined because you need to eat enough to fuel the exercise you are doing. There's a lot of concern because you can do so much damage to your body by doing both of these things.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I skipped the yoga class and haven't done anything exercise wise today. I'm leaving the office soon and will do my usual stroll with my dog later. I'm not doing that for exercise or steps... I am doing that for my mental health and for my dog of course :smile: The calories burned today are just from my actions around the office today. I am on my feet quite a bit and took a walk today to grab lunch.
    That's wonderful! Well done, OP! :star:

Honestly, the calories burned in a light yoga class aren't that significant, so the important thing about not taking the class wasn't the burn. The important thing about not taking the class was that you were able to not take the class. (That sounds totally circular, but it's not). If you're in a place where you HAVE to do something, whether or not it's good for you, that's a huge red flag. Compulsions take away your ability to make your own choices. People could argue all day about whether or not taking a rest day is beneficial (I would listen to the experienced athletes here when they say that it's required, but that's just me), but you know that being unable to make yourself take a rest day is absolutely unhealthy. You probably still need a lot of practice at that skill (as in, you need to take one next Thursday, and the Thursday after that, and so on), but if you did it once, you can do it again.