What do you wish you hadn't done on your fitness journey?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't spend so much time starving myself at 1200 cals a day. Also wish I didn't run so much and not eat any of my calories back. The worst time of my life thus far.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer and dr sent me to a nutritionist

When I first got to MFP I already knew there is more to a piece of food than calorie count only.

I wasted time discussing CICO with some people here that treat it like the only property of a piece of food.

It is the internet, not the gym. I don't take things here serious any longer if it remotely conflicts with what I hear from my trainer, doctor, nutritionist.

Don't waste time arguing here. That is the main thing I took from MFP.

Along these lines, I am endeavoring to spend more time exercising and less time arguing. I'm happy with my path and don't need to spend so much time saying "I can too [censored so as not to derail] and lose weight.

• bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I wish I'd never tried running, and I wish I'd stayed the hell away from plyometrics or any kind of impact. It was so far from worth the injuries. Hindsight is 20/20, I had no idea how bad my biomechanics were. Careful preparation and graduated activity and attention to form didn't help. Long-term consequences there.

I wish I *had* started out with something like Pilates to gently build up more stability around my joints from the get-go. Then weights, then some LOW IMPACT cardio.

I'm going to take this as direct advice. I have a bunk leg so to speak...I need someone to evaluate it-did you see anyone about it?

A physiotherapist. It took me a while to find a good one :/ some are not so focused on getting you geared for fitness activity (eg they mostly work w older populations) - go to one affiliated with a sports medicine clinic & get recommendations

Glad if my experience can maybe save one person some trouble :)

Yes, absolutely. I've been dealing with knee, hip, and buttock pain as well as just above the kneecap (quad? tendon?) only on one leg. My gait is wonky, and one leg sort of swings out. I think I have a pelvic tilt causing it but unsure. Been walking fast and starting to jog but keep wondering if I am doing worse for my leg than getting it slowly built up where it's weak (with a professional). So, yes...definitely helped me with your experience. :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd never tried running, and I wish I'd stayed the hell away from plyometrics or any kind of impact. It was so far from worth the injuries. Hindsight is 20/20, I had no idea how bad my biomechanics were. Careful preparation and graduated activity and attention to form didn't help. Long-term consequences there.

I wish I *had* started out with something like Pilates to gently build up more stability around my joints from the get-go. Then weights, then some LOW IMPACT cardio.

I'm going to take this as direct advice. I have a bunk leg so to speak...I need someone to evaluate it-did you see anyone about it?

A physiotherapist. It took me a while to find a good one :/ some are not so focused on getting you geared for fitness activity (eg they mostly work w older populations) - go to one affiliated with a sports medicine clinic & get recommendations

Glad if my experience can maybe save one person some trouble :)

Yes, absolutely. I've been dealing with knee, hip, and buttock pain as well as just above the kneecap (quad? tendon?) only on one leg. My gait is wonky, and one leg sort of swings out. I think I have a pelvic tilt causing it but unsure. Been walking fast and starting to jog but keep wondering if I am doing worse for my leg than getting it slowly built up where it's weak (with a professional). So, yes...definitely helped me with your experience. :)
    My husband has been dealing with this. If it hurts when you lift the leg up, it's probably the tendon that goes to your quad which I believe is called the Semitendinosis tendon. It usually gets inflamed because you're compensating for other pain, often in the other leg, and therefore are walking differently. For my husband it was a bout of gout in his left big toe that caused it on his right knee. He's been wearing a brace and has had to stop bowling until it heals.

If it's hurting, don't keep running. You could cause really serious damage to it. If I were you I'd see a doctor and let it heal before trying to correct the imbalance that's causing it.