Whats the worst thing to eat that makes YOU gain weight?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    galaxyem wrote: »
    I found that eating a lot of fried food or candy gets me to gain weight. What makes you gain a lot of weight? Are you still eating it or did u cut down?

...you can put on weight even eating very healthful foods just as you can put on weight eating like crap.

Yep, this is true^^.
    But me personally, i couldn't overeat on "healthy" food. Where's the fun in that? Lol
    Now Fast Food, Doughnuts, ice cream, chocolate, candy i could eat all day long! (I don't anymore, but it would be so easy for me).
    Meat, Veg and Potatoes doesn't have the same appeal somehow. ;)

Consider yourself lucky.. overeating "healthy" foods has been the most prominent contributor to my weight gain, which makes it a bit hard because you can't just "have it every once in a while" like you would with fast food or candy, but you need to balance it every single meal since the majority of your food is made of it. No more salads with lots of olive oil for me, no more large quantities of hummus or Greek yogurt, no more mixed nut frenzies while watching movies and I need to be careful not to overindulge on lintels or eat a few too many zucchini patties.

I found that introducing more of the things that I used to eat sparingly and aren't considered entirely nutrient rich actually helps me with weight loss, like pre-portioned instant noodles, ready-to-make soups and one-serving ice cream packages because I've always had them in small portions so it makes me satisfied to eat things without having to change my usual quantities.
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    tomofnj wrote: »
    My pre-dinner Big Macs.

That would do it for sure.

This might seem weird but milk seems to have made a big difference for me, and I've never had a lactose issue or anything else of the sort. It's that I found that 5 - 6 coffee's a day, with 1/2 cup 2% milk @~70 cals each, adds up to a butt load of liquid calories I had to work my *kitten* off to get rid of.

Back on the black no sugar jag and loving it. I can grab a cup anytime, everytime.
    Don't judge my caffeine intake. o:)
    Good luck :)

Weird question, but I currently drink my coffee with milk and sugar and really want to transition into having black coffee with no sugar... at the moment that tastes a bit bleh though. How long did it take for you to get used to it?

I just cut back slowly, over the course of a month (french vanilla made it easy). The milk was easy to stop because for me, tasting a drop of milk after being used to 1/2 cup like I was using tasted putrid to me so I went to black with sugar. Then I went from sugars to stevia, then killed off that.

Try a mild coffee or flavored like the vanilla I did, its less harsh and you'll get used to it faster. I can drink the most hard core crap now without batting an eye.. or adding a single calorie.

And PS, coffee curbs hunger.

Sure, too much caffiene, etc etc etc but I love it.

GL
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    because everyone is going to say excess calories and that is redundant but I assume you mean trigger foods. mine are anything from taco bell, chips, donuts, snickers ice cream bars.
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Beer
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    galaxyem wrote: »
    I found that eating a lot of fried food or candy gets me to gain weight. What makes you gain a lot of weight? Are you still eating it or did u cut down?

Eating at a calorie surplus.

No, I am no longer eating at a calorie surplus because I have been maintaining my weight for over a year and a half.
  • MakkieXO
    MakkieXO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    gummy candy and chocolate bars
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I replaced frequent

76840101771.jpg

with infrequent

ice-cream-mini-011.JPG

In my thirties, my roommates and I used to buy the pint size Ben & Jerry's ice cream and eat them in one sitting. That was before I found I was lactose intolerant. Now, I eat all kinds of non-diary ice cream but a pint lasts four of five servings instead of one.

Good image showing portion control.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

ice-cream-mini-011.JPG

What is this, ice cream for ants?

I prefer

brpocho182bm.jpg

Same amount or less (it's supposed to represent a serving size in a small bowl), multiple flavors if one wants, and no eating out of the package.

If I scoop ice cream into the bowl, I'm perfectly happy with the amount I scoop in.

If I were to eat out of the pint, would I eat closer to half the pint, or be tempted to? Most likely, so I don't.

I think sometimes people think they can't stop eating when they are giving themselves cues (like eating out of a package that contains way more than a serving size) that of course contribute to that bad habit.

If I load my plate with pasta OR chicken I'll be tempted to eat it all, but that has nothing to do with an inability to control my consumption of either. It's because I have a stupid habit of wanting to clean my plate. So I am careful to control what I put on my plate.

THAT habit many of us learned as children, as least I did. Whatever mom put on our plate we had to finish. When we were older, we had to eat everything we put on our own plates, and we all know that youngster's eyes are bigger than their stomachs.

Small portions on my plate remind me that I don't have to eat the whole thing. :)
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    alcohol. I always get the "oh what the hell" feeling when i drink so i drink and eat more and the next day im hungover so i eat more fatty and salty foods.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Too much food.
  • kiryoku89
    kiryoku89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pasta, risotto, beer or too much salt. I always take days to get rid of it, undoes weeks worth of work!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Too many calories.

But I definitely over ate on:
    - Juice
    - Takeaway breakfasts & lunches every day
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Doritos. Not only kills my salt intake for the day, but I have almost no willpower to resist them and so usually overeat. They're like my diet kryptonite.
  • vickypalfreyman471
    vickypalfreyman471 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Water weight it's KFC and Dominos pizza but only if I go over my calorie allowance and , normally 3 lb heavier the next morning then it's gone in 1-2 days. BUT if I stay within my calories I still lose! Also if I bring takeout home I gain as I eat more! If I eat in the restaurant I just eat my own meal instead of eating the kids meals too!
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'll find out if the splurge at Red Robin the other night catches up with me.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My body is usually pretty good at telling me when I'm full, but when the food is too yummy I can't stop eating (even when I know I'm full and I'm eating too much).

ETA: yea, so anything that taste really good.
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ssoda including diet soda eliminated it from my diet and lost 7 pounds in two werks
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat fried foods all the time. I just make sure that it fits within my allotted calories. I agree with most, its excess calories not the foods that make you gain weight. At least that's my experience.
  • kimberlyjoy159
    kimberlyjoy159 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find that simple sugars and simple carbs are issues for me. I routinely avoid candy, packaged sweets, breads and pasta. Pizza is a particular problem for me. I feel full longer and am less likely to overeat if I choose fresh veggies, fruits, proteins with a few whole grains. I know the philosophy on MFP is a calorie is a calorie and CICO; however, 1,000 calories of candy or white bread does not have the nutritional value that 1,000 calories of veggies and fruit has. I can eat 1,000 calories of bread in one sitting without even thinking about it and still be hungry, so I am more successful avoiding those foods.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eating too much of anything makes you gain weight. Some foods may be easier to control intake of than other foods.

No food is responsible for my weight gain. I am. I choose to eat what I eat. But sometimes it's hard to make good choices.