Fashion Peeves and Faux Paux, What's yours?

Options
rocky503
rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
I'm feeling a little snarky today and thinking about this:

The Maxi, another name for MUMU, makes me think of great aunt Rita in Florida
Leggins and/or jeggins, those are STRETCH PANTS no matter what you call them or as my neighbor calls them "I give up pants".
Belly button piercing, half shirt and low rise jeans. Atrocious on most anyone I've seen it on , especially over a certain age.

I'm routinely amazed at what people will purposely put on their body. How about you?:huh:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm from the San Francisco bay area. When you see outfits worn in SF on a regular basis, a lot of the outfits/articles of clothing worn by people cease to amaze you.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I HATE skinny jeans on guys, especially when they wear them below their *kitten* cheeks. Just no.

I am not a fan of peplum.

I HATE HATE HATE the "half-tuck" thing that J.Crew has popularized. It looks like you woke up drunk and failed to get dressed all the way.

aawhatiwore2.png

I am just hating J.Crew in general these days. They used to have great, somewhat affordable clothing, and then Jenna Lyons took over the brand, and now they sell $700 sequined skirts ... because you can never have too many of those.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Leggins and/or jeggins, those are STRETCH PANTS no matter what you call them or as my neighbor calls them "I give up pants".
    Belly button piercing, half shirt and low rise jeans. Atrocious on most anyone I've seen it on , especially over a certain age.

I'm routinely amazed at what people will purposely put on their body. How about you?:huh:

Sorry but maxi dresses and mumu's are two different animals. I have a tall, thin friend who wears maxi dresses, looks fabulous and it in no way resembles a mumu

I have certain tops that look awesome with leggings and boots.

I have my belly pierced, wear midriff bearing tops and low rise jeans. I have an awesome body and I am 38. If you can pull it off then do it (I will never give up my low rise jeans. I am short waisted and anything with a high waist band makes me look like I'm about 82 with my pants pulled up to my boobs!)

Now, to address the actual post:

Not a fan of uggs in an way, shape or form. Crocs are ridiculous and guys should never wear skinny jeans or capri's.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The half tuck makes me think the person had a hard time putting themselves together after going to the restroom. It almost indicatse to me that they did not wash their hands, cause if they did they would have seen that their shirt needs tucking......
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Sorry but maxi dresses and mumu's are two different animals. I have a tall, thin friend who wears maxi dresses, looks fabulous and it in no way resembles a mumu

I have my belly pierced, wear midriff bearing tops and low rise jeans. I have an awesome body and I am 38. If you can pull it off then do it (I will never give up my low rise jeans. I am short waisted and anything with a high waist band makes me look like I'm about 82 with my pants pulled up to my boobs!)

Not a fan of uggs in an way, shape or form. Crocs are ridiculous and guys should never wear skinny jeans or capri's.

Are you me?? I agree with everything here
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Diaper pants

rs_293x473-130408105847-634.Halle.Justin.mh.040813.jpg
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I HATE skinny jeans on guys, especially when they wear them below their *kitten* cheeks. Just no.

I don't claim to be any sort of fashionista (although I am excellent at picking out clothes for OTHER people's bodies, ironically...mine, not so much) but the skinny jean thing just irks me. I just don't think they look good on MOST people....not even the teeny, tiny petite women they were undoubtedly designed for. I just think they make people look....awkward. I can't explain it.

I have no problem with strait leg, boot leg, flares (my personal fav, I guess), etc. The only reason I can think of to wear the skinnys is to tuck them into boots...which would be a totally appropriate look. I guess if you've got the long legs and the thinness to pull them off with a nice set of heels, that could work as well, but that's not the context I usually see them in. If you have a big bum, thighs, or hips....it just makes them look bigger. To each their own though....

On men....ANY man....ridiculous. Really.
  • StarChanger
    Options
    I will never give up my low rise jeans. I am short waisted and anything with a high waist band makes me look like I'm about 82 with my pants pulled up to my boobs!

Amen, sister! I wore men's jeans when I was a teen because the low rises hadn't "come back" yet....
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love leggings, but not without a long shirt/tunic/sweater dress to cover the *kitten*. LEGGINGS ARE NOT PANTS. If you're fully clothed and I can see the outline of your vagina, something is wrong.

Twisted bra straps.

Socks with sandals.

Too tight underwear under a clingy dress.

Boobs out at work. Save them for the bar. Or better yet, your husband.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    I will never give up my low rise jeans. I am short waisted and anything with a high waist band makes me look like I'm about 82 with my pants pulled up to my boobs!

Amen, sister! I wore men's jeans when I was a teen because the low rises hadn't "come back" yet....

When I was in school because low rise jeans weren't around I used to get made fun of :angry:
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

You and me could not be friends.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    blue-forever21-blazer-gray-victorias-secret-top-zara-shorts-black-stocking_400.jpg
    Stocking with jean shorts.... really?
    I also can stand the white tank top and the small tight sweater look.. tried to find it on google but it is just so horrible it is not even on google.. :laugh:

I hate those styles
  • StarChanger
    Options

When I was in school because low rise jeans weren't around I used to get made fun of :angry:

Well, the flip side of that was that I never had an *kitten* in jeans either. They fit me great in the waist, and my narrow (relatively speaking) hips, but since I have no *kitten* to speak of, AND they were men's jeans.....yeah. Nothing sexy going on there....but at least I didn't feel like I was wearing "mom jeans" at 16.
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sandals/flip flops with crusty feet and unkept toe nails.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Muffin tops. I hate seeing womens muffin tops. Most of them are not even obese - they may be a little overweight but I see girls from around a size 6 to a size 16 cramming their *kitten* into jeans that are WAY too small and it looks AWFUL. One time in the parking lot at Target I was waiting to get in my car and as a girl got out of the car next to me her whole *kitten* fell out of her pants and she had to cram it back in. WHY???

I am no fashionista (I am someone who will buy the same shirt in several colors if I like it) but I try my best to find clothes that FIT. I guess that would be my biggest pet peeve. I see so many people that wear ill fitting clothes and I don't understand why.

I know someone who is 5'10 and probably underweight but big boned and insists on cramming her giant limbs into clothing she finds in the childrens and juniors section. Constantly comes in wearing tank tops that are so tight I can see the threads in the seams. Another coworker confirmed a tank top we saw her wearing was one her own 8 year old daughter owned.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    blue-forever21-blazer-gray-victorias-secret-top-zara-shorts-black-stocking_400.jpg
    Stocking with jean shorts.... really?
    I also can stand the white tank top and the small tight sweater look.. tried to find it on google but it is just so horrible it is not even on google.. :laugh:

I hate those styles

Honestly? I think that look could be really cute with the right shirt and a pair of scrunched down boots.
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    Muffin tops. I hate seeing womens muffin tops. Most of them are not even obese - they may be a little overweight but I see girls from around a size 6 to a size 16 cramming their *kitten* into jeans that are WAY too small and it looks AWFUL. One time in the parking lot at Target I was waiting to get in my car and as a girl got out of the car next to me her whole *kitten* fell out of her pants and she had to cram it back in. WHY???

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    My peeve? People that use French incorrectly.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there's no other way around this if you have office rules when it comes to what to wear, but if you're a lady and you're wearing jeans, don't tuck in your shirt or blouse. Looks weird.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Are you me?? I agree with everything here

Me too, the OP must have a limited wardrobe if she avoids maxi dresses and leggings. These items aren't even trends, their staples. Plus low waisted jeans are the most appropriate choice for some body types. And I too have my belly button pierced and when my abs are washboard again, you better believe I will be showing it.

As for true fashion Faux Pas, wearing clothes in the wrong season. Corduroy, velvet, wool, leather are winter/fall fabrics, don't wear them in the summer. Same goes for linen in the winter. Also clothes that are not your size or clothes that are your size, but you know you shouldn't wear it.