Eat what you want but stick to the calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yikes you people take all wrong all the time no one said "living on that stuff"

fine i will stop replying here such defensiveness

Don't worry OP. You had a clearly articulated question in your original post. It was evident to the vast majority of the people here that you were asking about the impact of one small treat in the context of an overall nutrient dense diet. The correct answer is that you absolutely can continue to eat things like chocolate in moderation and either still lose weight or be successful at recomp, really whatever your goal may be the chocolate will not hinder you.

However some people love to point out the straw man argument that one could eat nothing but (insert "junk food" of choice) stay under their calorie goal and still lose weight, implying that someone in this thread or others actually suggested that you do that.

Don't worry about it. Continue to enjoy your nutrient dense foods, work in treats when you can, meet all your fitness goals, be happy... Welcome to moderation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Don't worry OP. You had a clearly articulated question in your original post. It was evident to the vast majority of the people here that you were asking about the impact of one small treat in the context of an overall nutrient dense diet. The correct answer is that you absolutely can continue to eat things like chocolate in moderation and either still lose weight or be successful at recomp, really whatever your goal may be the chocolate will not hinder you.

However some people love to point out the straw man argument that one could eat nothing but (insert "junk food" of choice) stay under their calorie goal and still lose weight, implying that someone in this thread or others actually suggested that you do that.

Don't worry about it. Continue to enjoy your nutrient dense foods, work in treats when you can, meet all your fitness goals, be happy... Welcome to moderation.
    If you're counting me as "some people", that was inferred on your end, but not implied on mine. I wasn't arguing. I wasn't implying anything. I was just being very clear about the fact that you can eat those things and still lose weight.

I just want to be very clear. If you weren't counting me, that's cool. I still want to be clear. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I actually misread the post and thought I was quoting OP not another commenter in the thread. My comments still stand that asking about eating a chocolate bar in the context of an overall nutrient dense diet is not the same as asking if you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight as long as you are under your calories (which you can, for the record) and does not warrant people bringing up diets made entirely of Ho Hos or Doritos.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I actually misread the post and thought I was quoting OP not another commenter in the thread. My comments still stand that asking about eating a chocolate bar in the context of an overall nutrient dense diet is not the same as asking if you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight as long as you are under your calories (which you can, for the record) and does not warrant people bringing up diets made entirely of Ho Hos or Doritos.
    If you're upset, I can't help that. But this implied insult is a figment of your imagination.

There was no insult implied. There wasn't even a thought of an insult there.

The post had nothing to do with anyone other than the OP.

If you continue to think there was an implied insult, there's no more I can do about that, so I'll just leave it be. But it didn't exist.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Short answer

Yes

Have a few things you like and enjoy the journey to a fit body

If this gets to obsessive and difficult people quit

And there is really no reason for it to be that way
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

If you're upset, I can't help that. But this implied insult is a figment of your imagination.

There was no insult implied. There wasn't even a thought of an insult there.

The post had nothing to do with anyone other than the OP.

If you continue to think there was an implied insult, there's no more I can do about that, so I'll just leave it be. But it didn't exist.

Doll, you're not the center of the universe. I posted a link a few posts above clarifying which post referenced living on ho ho's and ding dongs

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I ate not one but TWO entire pizzas over the course of 4 days. Admittedly I was at a martial arts seminar all weekend and was burning a LOT of calories. This weekend I am down a pound.

Yes it is true that you can eat whatever you want as long as it is within your calorie goal and you will lose weight. Now you might gain at first, if you eat like I did last weekend because all of that salt and hard exercise is going to make you retain water. But if you drink plenty of water to flush it back out the numbers will soon go back down.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why some people feel the need to interject that silly argument, especially when the OP is specifically about working in a small treat here or there and not, in fact, asking whether it is okay to eat Doritos and McDonald's all day long. I mean, anyone who understands basic weight loss concepts knows you can actually do that and still lose weight, but why would that even come up in a conversation about moderation. Like, why even bring it up, right?
  • kkorzeniowska
    kkorzeniowska Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all replies,i didn't suppose my little topic will be so popular and we will have even a little argument in here ;) but after all your posts I decided to include some naughty sugar into my diet, I think it will stop my crazy cravings too and will let me calmly walk past the shelves stocked with chocolate bars in the shops lol
    Once or twice a week little treat won't do any harm I suppose. But yes, I'll still stick to the macros to maintain my current weight.
    Once again,many thanks xx
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It's all about budgeting and pre-planning. I make sure I budget for enough calories to have a beer or select adult beverage along with some good chocolate or ice cream.

Looks like you've gotten some sound advice here for the most part, but just think long term. If you go over one day, simply adjust accordingly for the next day. Either eat less or move more - your choice.
  • kkorzeniowska
    kkorzeniowska Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always plan my meals day before and try to stick to the macros. But I'll try to include some sweetness in there. I find it a bit difficult because I like to have quite big breakfast and lunch. My snacks are pretty filling too, and i love fruits so I have to cut here and there a bit to be able to fit that piece (or two) of chocolate :)
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I sometimes include a small bag of Reeses Pieces as a pre-workout. :wink:
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I sometimes include a small bag of Reeses Pieces as a pre-workout. :wink:

The BF loves sour patch kids before a run or boot camp class! It's like a perk for working out