Losing Weight is NOT that simple..imo..

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Shocker.

See, there's that whole lack of manners thing I brought up.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    There are lots of condescending comments to new people on MFP.

The whole CICO is one very simple aspect of food

It ignores all of the other aspects of nutrition

I ate a crappy diet. Eating less of a crappy diet is not the best health option. That is why my dr sent me to a nutritionist.

I don't think many people want to just lose weight with no regard to learning how to eat a balanced diet.

Maybe some do, not sure why but that is their choice.

I'm glad I had worked with a nutritionist and trainer before getting to MFP.

The point is to understand the first step. Calorie restriction. That puts you on the road to rejecting large calorie loads (ONE cookie is 300 calories?! NOT worth it! *munches carrots*)

CICO isn't ABOUT -health-, it's just the science behind weight loss. When people ask about weight loss, that is the answer they get.

Actually, pretty much any question is answered with CICO, which is part of the problem.

Want advice on eating healthier diet? You'll get a ridiculous argument that food is food and CICO is all that matters.

Ask a question about a plateau? The answer is CICO and you must not be accurately tracking intake.

It'd be amusing if it weren't so actively unhelpful to those seeking assistance.

If you have better advice, we're all ears... pardon me if I don't hold my breath.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

I ate a crappy diet. Eating less of a crappy diet is not the best health option. That is why my dr sent me to a nutritionist.

I don't think many people want to just lose weight with no regard to learning how to eat a balanced diet.

The point is to understand the first step. Calorie restriction. That puts you on the road to rejecting large calorie loads (ONE cookie is 300 calories?! NOT worth it! *munches carrots*)

CICO isn't ABOUT -health-, it's just the science behind weight loss. When people ask about weight loss, that is the answer they get.

It is an incomplete answer

That is the problem with the quip type answers that prevail on MFP

Most people do not want to disregard health for weight loss

Even attempting to defend the weak answers of CICO on does not seem logical

Who says I want to lose weight with no regard to health?

It is not the "science behind weight loss". It is one element in the science of weight loss.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Actually, pretty much any question is answered with CICO, which is part of the problem.

Want advice on eating healthier diet? You'll get a ridiculous argument that food is food and CICO is all that matters.

Ask a question about a plateau? The answer is CICO and you must not be accurately tracking intake.

It'd be amusing if it weren't so actively unhelpful to those seeking assistance.

I don't know what threads you've been to, but I've seen plenty of people give advice on eating styles and sustainability of said eating styles and pro and cons people have experienced while doing IF or IIFYM or what have you. People don't want bunches of options, it seems. Then again, many arguments happen because one person favors something another doesn't. The ROOT of the issue when it comes to weight loss IS calories in, calories out. No need to summarize the entirety of this forum for every post. People are kind enough to, as I said above, make very helpful things to get people through their obstacles, like a flow chart that includes factors like starting a new exercise routine, how long they have been in a caloric deficit. It's the internet, you're gonna swim through some BS and YES, unless you have a health condition that can impede goals, it DOES boil down to accurately tracking. Nobody on this forum has disagreed with adding more fruits and vegetables to your daily meals. But by golly, you should not be afraid to eat ice cream if you want to eat ice cream!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    It does partially come down to manners. For example, if someone is in front of you do you just say "move" or "excuse me please"? If someone's weight loss is stalled (and half a dozen people haven't already replied with the same advice) do you say "CICO" or " Are you sure you are eating at a calorie deficit? Sometimes using a food scale can help you make sure you aren't accidentally eating more than you think."? I know which ones i would respond to better.

But if you're the one asking the question, you don't get to direct the manner in which it's answered. Take the information presented, use it or throw it away - that's up to you. You can't get worked up because you didn't like the 'tone' of the response - just be grateful someone cared enough to try to help.

Tone matters. I question whether some of the people who respond...not referring to anybody in this thread...are actually trying to help. I think there really are a few who just like to take any opportunity to talk down to somebody else, and these forums give them an easy way to do it. I also think there are a few who care much more about trying to be funny and posting the cutest cat gif than they do about trying to help the OP. Hijacking someone's thread when they ask for help is not helpful.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It does partially come down to manners. For example, if someone is in front of you do you just say "move" or "excuse me please"? If someone's weight loss is stalled (and half a dozen people haven't already replied with the same advice) do you say "CICO" or " Are you sure you are eating at a calorie deficit? Sometimes using a food scale can help you make sure you aren't accidentally eating more than you think."? I know which ones i would respond to better.

And despite it all you're still here so it seems you figured it out somehow, even with all the noise and impoliteness. Of course you're going to say excuse me, because the guy in front of you is unaware that he's in your way, he was just standing there doing his own thing. Now if he was blocking your way and asking questions, and asking you to please explain the answers to him in minute detail, then proceeded to whine about the answers you gave him......well. I know which response I would give, and it would be worse than "move".
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

If you have better advice, we're all ears... pardon me if I don't hold my breath.

If you think that spouting off CICO as the final answer to either of the example questions in my post, there's no discussion worth having.

Some of us prefer to realize that nuance and personal circumstance play a large role in success. If someone wants to give low carb a try or reduce their sugar intake, who are you to demean that decision?

CICO isn't being denied, only the derisive and unhelpful way in which it is used to belittle any approach that adds other, more personal variables.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    g9v0mxurs5m8.jpg

Oh yeah, and this.^^
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

If you think that spouting off CICO as the final answer to either of the example questions in my post, there's no discussion worth having.

Some of us prefer to realize that nuance and personal circumstance play a large role in success. If someone wants to give low carb a try or reduce their sugar intake, who are you to demean that decision?

CICO isn't being denied, only the derisive and unhelpful way in which it is used to belittle any approach that adds other, more personal variables.

CICO includes low carb, or low sugar, or whatever other route people want to take to achieve a deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So the gist of all this is that newbies who fail to use the search function or read the stickies and ask vague questions on a free forum are getting answers from strangers trying to help that you feel are not personalized and complete enough?
  • accidentalpancake
    Options

CICO includes low carb, or low sugar, or whatever other route people want to take to achieve a deficit.

Yet every post that references "clean eating" will eventually be closed/deleted because it devolves into a tired debate about how CICO is all that matters and foods are completely equal outside of individual dietary context. Doesn't seem very accepting of alternate approaches.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

So, you don't really have one.

Due to a lot of complaints about the "incomplete" nature of the CICO response, most posters have modified it to be something along the lines of:

1) CICO for weight loss
    2) Macros for health, satiety, consistency, and sustainability.
    3) Exercise if you want to (but you probably should because it's good for you; find something you enjoy).
    *Disclaimer: If you have a medical condition, talk to your doctor and probably a registered dietitian to set you on the right path for you.

I have not seen just "CICO" as a response in a long, long time, unless the OP is giving a lot of push back because there just HAS to be some secret.

And to the person saying tone matters - tone is extremely difficult to determine based on text. Is it just maybe possible that you read hostility into responses from people who you don't like/have had disagreements with? That seems to be the only tone issues I've ever truly seen.
  • accidentalpancake
    edited July 2015
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Due to a lot of complaints about the "incomplete" nature of the CICO response, most posters have modified it to be something along the lines of:

1) CICO for weight loss
    3) Exercise if you want to (but you probably should because it's good for you; find something you enjoy).
    *Disclaimer: If you have a medical condition, talk to your doctor and probably a registered dietitian to set you on the right path for you.

I have not seen just "CICO" as a response in a long, long time, unless the OP is giving a lot of push back because there just HAS to be some secret.

And to the person saying tone matters - tone is extremely difficult to determine based on text. Is it just maybe possible that you read hostility into responses from people who you don't like/have had disagreements with? That seems to be the only tone issues I've ever truly seen.

The fact that you think there's a single alternative is the problem. It depends on circumstance, which is the entire point of the OP that seems to have been missed.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

And despite it all you're still here so it seems you figured it out somehow, even with all the noise and impoliteness. Of course you're going to say excuse me, because the guy in front of you is unaware that he's in your way, he was just standing there doing his own thing. Now if he was blocking your way and asking questions, and asking you to please explain the answers to him in minute detail, then proceeded to whine about the answers you gave him......well. I know which response I would give, and it would be worse than "move".

Possibly... Possibly.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Yet every post that references "clean eating" will eventually be closed/deleted because it devolves into a tired debate about how CICO is all that matters and foods are completely equal outside of individual dietary context. Doesn't seem very accepting of alternate approaches.

No, it's closed because opposing factions with strangely identical food diaries can't stay civil. It's not closed because of the debate itself.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

1) CICO for weight loss

The fact that you think there's an alternative is the problem. It depends on circumstance, which is the entire point of the OP that seems to have been missed.

An alternative to what?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

The obvious answer would seem to be...

If they have a question about eating a healthier diet, discuss healthy diet options.

If they have a question about plateaus, discuss plateaus.

...so I assume that you think that's out for some reason, because it's just too obvious to be missed. What's wrong it?

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

IMO clean eating threads go south because of the trend to attach moral values to food choices. And you're showing a bias by saying that CICO people bash clean eating (which is a misrepresentation anyway, since as I stated, true CICO just means maintaining a deficit by the means of your choice), but not admitting that some clean eating people sometimes portray sugar as evil.

Heaven forbid that we accept that neither side is 'bad', just achieving a deficit (CICO) through alternate means. And heaven forbid that we acknowledge that most people here advocate eating a generally healthy diet to achieve CICO, and add treats as your CICO allowance permits.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Yes. Agreed.