5`2/5`3 women success stories?

Options

Replies

• jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Getting there... 5'2" 120 currently. Highest weight was 194. I was around 136 when I began using mfp. I highly recommend lifting heavy weights and eating an adequate amount of protein while you are losing! My initial goal was 121. Now 116. Will reevaluate when I get there. Still have some flab that I want gone.
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 5.2.5 I need the encouragement. Please add me too
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    5'2.75" here :smile: I started this journey on January 29, 2015 at 173lbs (NOT my heaviest ever which was 194 a few years ago) I am now down 27.5lbs and got about 15.5 left to go to get to my first goal weight of 130lbs. I will re-evaluate my goals then and see if I want to lose some more or just focus on gaining muscle!

Feel free to add me! I am also a full-time working mother with a busy household and schedule, and also the only one in my household/family trying to lose weight and get healthy so I totally understand how hard it is and never judge!
  • olga5454
    olga5454 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    5'2 current 151. Want to get down to 1st goal of 135.
  • kas2042
    kas2042 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    votkuhr wrote: »
    titotito48 wrote: »
    I run on my treadmill 4 days a week. I am up to 5.15 miles per workout. I would love to start lifting but I'm afraid to gain weight on the scale as I know muscle weighs more than fat. Did this happen to you or did it help you lose faster? I have plateaued for the last 4 to 5 weeks so if I can get enough evidence that It will help me to lose then I will start lifting.
    Were you able to lose without exercise?
    Hi, 5'2.5" and I've lost 49lbs. over the last year and a half counting calories on MFP. Started at 179lbs. I'm pretty much at goal weight but trying for 4 more pounds. Finally at a healthy BMI.

Oh, he** to the no! I began by walking then as I dropped weight I became more active. I ended up joining a gym and lifting weights and some cardio 4 days a week. More than that is just too much for me.

You can lose weight without exercising but what happens is that you lose muscle mass along with the fat. You can mitigate the muscle loss by lifting weights which has really reshaped my body. I'm at 129lbs and into a size 4 Petite (US).

You want to maintain as much muscle as possible whether you're young or old (like me).

No, that's not how it works. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. They weigh the same but fat takes up more space by volume in the body. Also, you can't build muscle while in a calorie deficit. ...

Trina

Sorry, but you CAN build muscle while on a calorie deficit. Is it the most efficient way to go about it? Probably not, but you still can. That's how I've been doing it for the past year and a half.

For @titotito48 's case, she's just starting out with lifting - so she will see some pretty significant muscle gains at the beginning even if she's eating on a deficit. This will begin to slow down and even out as she progresses and at that point, it's really maintaining the muscle mass she has while burning fat (recomp / shape).

The Women 5'4" - 5'5" success thread has more details on training, nutrition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1238509/women-54-5-5-with-results-pictures/p1

Hope that helps!

Edit: YES! to lifting + cardio together!

PS: This is me :)

gkdyf98xn2nv.jpg

You won't gain muscle mass; as you lose fat the muscle mass you maintain by lifting will show unless you eat at your maintenance calories, not a deficit, and it is a slow process.

"It’s a three-step process, and it looks like this:

First, figure out your maintenance calories. Input your information into your MFP Diet Profile, then set your goal for “maintain my current weight” and hit “update.” The number you were given is your Maintenance Caloric Intake, or Maintenance Calories (MC).
    Next, figure out your training day calories. Take your MC, and increase it by 15%. Keep in mind, training days are ONLY days you train with weights.
    Finally, determine your rest day calories. Take your MC and decrease it by 10%. Rest days are any days you DO NOT train with weights."

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/

You look AH-MAZING!
  • justme20160
    justme20160 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 , I just start to lose weight, exercise at the gym 5 days a week. Making sure , I eat plenty of heathy food and snack. I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm only on week 2......I want to think small amounts, so I get discourage.
    Only lost 5 lbs in one week . I was told it's water weight. Taking it one day at a time.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I run on my treadmill 4 days a week. I am up to 5.15 miles per workout. I would love to start lifting but I'm afraid to gain weight on the scale as I know muscle weighs more than fat. Did this happen to you or did it help you lose faster? I have plateaued for the last 4 to 5 weeks so if I can get enough evidence that It will help me to lose then I will start lifting.
    Hi, 5'2.5" and I've lost 49lbs. over the last year and a half counting calories on MFP. Started at 179lbs. I'm pretty much at goal weight but trying for 4 more pounds. Finally at a healthy BMI.

Oh, he** to the no! I began by walking then as I dropped weight I became more active. I ended up joining a gym and lifting weights and some cardio 4 days a week. More than that is just too much for me.

You can lose weight without exercising but what happens is that you lose muscle mass along with the fat. You can mitigate the muscle loss by lifting weights which has really reshaped my body. I'm at 129lbs and into a size 4 Petite (US).

You want to maintain as much muscle as possible whether you're young or old (like me).

No, that's not how it works. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. They weigh the same but fat takes up more space by volume in the body. Also, you can't build muscle while in a calorie deficit. As I mentioned before, resistance training will help maintain most of your current muscle mass. Building muscle mass is very difficult and to do so you need to continually eat in a surplus (calories over your maintenance) to first gain weight and muscle then cut the fat by dieting (bulk and cut) several times over long periods of time.

Lifting will reshape your body in a good way -- you can't bulk up because you don't have the same amount of testosterone as men do so that will never happen.

You will keep your bones strong by lifting and you don't have to lift very heavy to begin. I take Body Pump classes at my gym and I can't believe the difference. I actually can see muscles now and I'm almost 66 years old.

I did a lot of cardio when I first joined the gym but fell in love with lifting and do so 4 days a week (1 hr.) and only do minimal cardio now (1.5 hours in 30 min. increments after lifting).

It's not a question of losing faster with cardio or lifting; cardio burns more calories than lifting but lifting reshapes your body and preserves your muscle mass so both are beneficial.

If you're in a plateau then first look at your logging for accuracy. How are you estimating your calorie burns. Have you set MFP for too steep of a deficit?

If you're logging as accurately as possible and you're getting adequate nourishment then one thing I do is take a break from dieting every two months or so because I've been in a deficit for so long. I eat at maintenance and take a week off from the gym but still stay active walking and such. Then after a week I'm back to my calorie deficit/gym routine and start losing again.

I don't know your personal stats so I can't comment too specifically about your plateau but the above has worked for me. Hope this helps!

Trina

Preach sista!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    blb85 wrote: »

No, that's not how it works. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. They weigh the same but fat takes up more space by volume in the body. Also, you can't build muscle while in a calorie deficit. As I mentioned before, resistance training will help maintain most of your current muscle mass. Building muscle mass is very difficult and to do so you need to continually eat in a surplus (calories over your maintenance) to first gain weight and muscle then cut the fat by dieting (bulk and cut) several times over long periods of time.

Lifting will reshape your body in a good way -- you can't bulk up because you don't have the same amount of testosterone as men do so that will never happen.

You will keep your bones strong by lifting and you don't have to lift very heavy to begin. I take Body Pump classes at my gym and I can't believe the difference. I actually can see muscles now and I'm almost 66 years old.

I did a lot of cardio when I first joined the gym but fell in love with lifting and do so 4 days a week (1 hr.) and only do minimal cardio now (1.5 hours in 30 min. increments after lifting).

It's not a question of losing faster with cardio or lifting; cardio burns more calories than lifting but lifting reshapes your body and preserves your muscle mass so both are beneficial.

If you're in a plateau then first look at your logging for accuracy. How are you estimating your calorie burns. Have you set MFP for too steep of a deficit?

If you're logging as accurately as possible and you're getting adequate nourishment then one thing I do is take a break from dieting every two months or so because I've been in a deficit for so long. I eat at maintenance and take a week off from the gym but still stay active walking and such. Then after a week I'm back to my calorie deficit/gym routine and start losing again.

I don't know your personal stats so I can't comment too specifically about your plateau but the above has worked for me. Hope this helps!

Trina

Preach sista!

Amen!
  • lexie1108
    lexie1108 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry- my pictures are all out of order! :(
  • handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @lexie1108 you must live in the seattle area :smile: i recognize the background of your pics + i hiked snow lake earlier this febuary! there was still snow on the trail and i wasn't as in shape as i am in now and i remember literally wanting to die by the time i got to the top. but well done, you really look fantastic!

i also started september 2014, but at 160 (i'm 5'2") and have lost 35 pounds and am now at my original goal weight of 125 (!!!) i also lost slowly but i am currently in grad school (schoolwork upon schoolwork and stress upon stress!) so i told myself as long as i kept my daily average below 1800 cals and i worked out at least 3X a week i would be happy. i ended up averaging 1500 cals/day and now find it difficult to go a day without getting some type of exercise in. it really was a lifestyle change!

now that i'm at my intial goal weight i decided i'd like to lose another 10 pounds for an ultimate goal weight of 115 in order to really trim my waistline. i have an apple shape so even though my bmi is well within healthy range at 22.9 my waist measurement at 32 tells me i'm still "overweight"! 115 here i come!
  • staraschi
    staraschi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 started my journey at 179.9 lbs in 2012. Currently rejoined mfp at 154.1. Feel free to add me everyone, I need the encouragement :)
  • fitjourney_kat
    fitjourney_kat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am so thrilled I found this thread!! I am just under 5.2 and currently weight 200lbs. I have bounced back to the heaviest I have ever been again and I don't want to be here anymore.... Feel free to add me, I would love the extra support and motivation. It's so nice seeing people my own height and body shape!
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3. I started out at 252 pounds and weighed in this morning at 224.7. Anyone can add me if they'd like to.
  • bonboncito
    bonboncito Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, started at 251 and I'm currently at 175. Still have about 35 pounds to go until I hit my goal, but my progress so far:

nucbnmofb8zq.jpgnq433oh4oocn.jpg
    You look good.
  • stacystrouse86
    stacystrouse86 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I glad I found this thread also. I am 5'2, and currently weigh 228lbs. Not my heaviest since just a few months ago I was 244 lbs. I gained most of my weight during my 4 pregnancies and haven't seemed to get under 220 since my last daughter was born in 2009. However, that is due to my own lack of motivation and self confidence. I do have PCOS and my doctors have told me that without gastric bypass it would be almost impossible for me to loose the weight on my own. I am here to prove them wrong and to change my life for good. Add me if you all would like. We all need the motivation and encouragement no matter how much we need to loose. We all are here to reach the same end goal and that is to be there best that we see for ourselves.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!