This may be vain and petty...but

Options
This may be vain and petty...but I was recently talking to one of my friends (whose constantly trying to lose 10-15lbs) about how this whole weightloss thing was going for me. I told her that I had changed things up recently and started lifting heavy things because I didn't want to be 'skinny fat,' still fluffy but in a normal weight range.

She gives me a side eye and says, 'why bother its not like you are going to be skinny anyway...'

I guess my face must have shown something (wtf, most likely) because she quickly followed it up by saying, 'well, its not like I'll ever be skinny either.'

And so now my petty motivation is to be 'skinnier' than she is. Its vain and petty and slightly terrible, but there it is. People need to play things in their head before they speak out loud. Seriously.

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something I would do as well. Go for it!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would have given her the same glance and said "b*tch, what? I am definitely not going to be fat forever."

No one should be able to say that to you, you will fight for what you want and when you are fighting for it then it is never a losing battle. As long as you never give up you will lose the weight you want to lose and be fan-freaking-tastic!
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ha ha you have found your motivation! Revenge, yer just do it!
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    not vain or petty in my opinion. HONEST !! I love it and I hope you get skinnier then her then you can give her your old "fat clothes" because your swimming in them and they will fit her.
  • Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    "Don't let people who have given up on their dreams talk you out of yours!"
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    She frankly wouldn't be my friend anymore. What a bit**y comment!
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Karma comes when you least expect it and it will come back around to her when you are strutting around in your skinny jeans and showing off your muscles! Go girl! Prove her wrong!
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    yea that was uncool of your "friend" she probably see's you gaining confidence and making a change in life and she is probably jealous..
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Show her up! But dont let her comment get you in a negitive way! Just use it as motivation :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I think I would have slapped her lol I would do the same thing.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure if she's even a friend. Is this like the whole "frienemy" thing? If any of my friends ever said that, they would not be a friend anymore. Honestly, don't let revenge be your motivator. You need to do this for you, not anyone else. And, you need to let her know that this hurt your feelings. She may not even remember she said it, or realize how hurtful this could be. And, I would not talk to her anymore about the whole weight loss thing, either. This would just open the door for more hurt.
  • ecoldbrook
    ecoldbrook Posts: 20
    Options
    It is definite motivation! And I have decided that talking to her about healthy lifestyle changes and weightloss are not conducive to us continuing as friends...oh well. Some people just let you down.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Once you lose it and build up those muscles, next time she comments be sure to thank her and let her know she was your inspiration. Sweet!
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I believe it's the 'Bit*h, it's on!' look. I use it often.
  • Georgianbaygirl67
    Georgianbaygirl67 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kick her *kitten* girl!
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    So what if its petty.. I agree you go for the gold! i hate when people say things like that too!!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already decided to do it for YOU, so no harm if you happen to show a jealous bizznatch a thing or two while you're at it! :wink:
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Some of the best motivation for me comes from things like that.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Options
    Do your own thing, and try not to make this about other people. Also, make it a point never to talk about weight, fitness or looks again.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    a few years ago my girlfriend (at the time) asked me what would happen if some guy started hitting on her or causing trouble if i would fight him. i was always kind of a skinny little guy, and when i said i would fight him she just started laughing at me, for at least 30 45 seconds before she realized how freakin insulting it was... we broke up last year and ive been posting updated on my facebook about my progress since i started lifting and she deleted and blocked me... victory!