After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options

Replies

• purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Crap! I see that now. OK, let's go with the 2162.

So yesterday, I logged 1225 calories for the day being as accurate as humanly possible. That's a deficit of 900 calories for the day. I realize that I could have been off on some of the foods previously but I still have a hard time believing I could be off by that much.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Your logging is way too generic. "Homemade Pasta and Meat Sauce - 2 cups" for less than 500 calories? Sorry... Considering two cups of cooked pasta is around 450 cals, then either you used a mere tablespoon of sauce or you used someone else's incorrect entry. The recipe builder is super easy to use - just make sure you're choosing correct ingredient entries.

Message received loud and clear! :) Going forward I will not be using the default setting but will break everything down by component.

There are several recipe websites that automatically link to the MFP app recipe builder if you are interested. Yummly is one of them.

Best wishes :)
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    After 31 days, averaging 1200 calories/day I weigh basically the same as when I started. This is 800/day less than suggested by this site to lose 1 pound a week. Again, I find it hard to believe that I could be off by that much per day. Something is clearly wrong.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    After 31 days, averaging 1200 calories/day I weigh basically the same as when I started. This is 800/day less than suggested by this site to lose 1 pound a week. Again, I find it hard to believe that I could be off by that much per day. Something is clearly wrong.

Are you saying you've been weighing your food and using the recipe builder instead of generics for 31 days? Or do you mean you've made the changes suggested a few days ago and still haven't lost additional weight?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

There are several recipe websites that automatically link to the MFP app recipe builder if you are interested. Yummly is one of them.

Ooh, I didn't know this. Thanks for that tip! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Open your diary.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything with NO cheat meals / days?
  • purelyprimitives
    Options

Are you saying you've been weighing your food and using the recipe builder instead of generics for 31 days? Or do you mean you've made the changes suggested a few days ago and still haven't lost additional weight?

Being as accurate as possible over the last week or so, I've seen no difference. Again, there's no way I'm under-reporting to the tune of 800 calories/day. That just isn't possible.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options

Being as accurate as possible over the last week or so, I've seen no difference. Again, there's no way I'm under-reporting to the tune of 800 calories/day. That just isn't possible.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options

• SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I love this video, I think it's important to note that people almost always eat more than they think, even when logging. And maybe not by 800 calories, but maybe by 500 and you might be on the lower end of TDEE for your age/height/weight. So it matters.

http://youtu.be/KA9AdlhB18o
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How were you computing your activity level/TDEE again? Online calculators?

Keep doing the accurate weighing and logging for 4 weeks total, so you have 4 weeks of data. And then use that to calculate your actual TDEE. I think you're doing a good job, and I hope you don't give up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I repeat this often but when I started working out and accurately logging, I didn't lose for 5 weeks. Now I lose consistently. It can just take time for the body to catch up. 1 week of accurate logging isn't long enough to become disheartened yet! Keep going!
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Keep doing the accurate weighing and logging for 4 weeks total, so you have 4 weeks of data. And then use that to calculate your actual TDEE. I think you're doing a good job, and I hope you don't give up.

I've purposely selected a lower activity level than reality for me to force a lower TDEE. According to the scoobyworkshop.com site, supposedly the most accurate on-line calculator, my TDEE is 2136/day. This is actually 50 cals/day more than this site suggests. So the question is, are these just generic suggestions or are they accurate? So far, for me, they aren't even close.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    They are generic starting points, to be adjusted based on personal results.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Start measuring yourself instead or measure body fat! You may see better numbers.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

I've purposely selected a lower activity level than reality for me to force a lower TDEE. According to the scoobyworkshop.com site, supposedly the most accurate on-line calculator, my TDEE is 2136/day. This is actually 50 cals/day more than this site suggests. So the question is, are these just generic suggestions or are they accurate? So far, for me, they aren't even close.

My guess is you have less lean body mass than average, and the calculators are a bit off. That's why I suggest committing to logging as accurately as possible for 4-6 weeks, and then doing math to determine your actual TDEE. If you go back to the Scooby's calculator, there's even a little section on "calibrating" for your specific results. It's step 9. Follow his calibration and maybe you'll get more accurate estimates. Because that's all it is ever going to be: estimates.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Seven days is way too early to get frustrated.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a weird one to add in, but make sure your scale is 1) electronic & 2) not in need of fresh batteries. Every time my scale's battery level gets low, it tends to not show my losses (or tells me my bf% is at 95 like it did this morning).
    ^^ is this true??? never heard that a low battery could distort a scale reading before!

• purelyprimitives
    edited August 2015
    Options
    After moving 1 ton of wood into my cellar (I'll be moving 2 more tons over the next couple of days) I'm over 1100 calories in the hole for today. I don't normally add activity because the net calories are so low. This is based on the closest activity I could find in this site's anemic list of activity. I couldn't even find general 'lifting'. My question is: How does the calculator handle negative calories??