After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you have numerous inaccuracies in your logging...i see a whole bunch of generic entries.

use the recipe builder...calorie counting isn't exact, but it does require you to be as accurate as possible most of the time.

you're not losing weight because you are likely eating more than what you are logging.

I'd also recommend a food scale. When I started out, I didn't use one...I would log my chicken breast as 4 ounces because that's what the packaging said was a serving...figured a chicken breast would be a serving...turns out that a whole chicken breast is usually closer to 8 ounces...or two servings. So, I'm logging 1 serving but eating 2.

Nuts was another big one for me...I was logging my handful of nuts as 1 ounce and 160 calories...when I got my scale I realized my handful of nuts was more like 2 ounces +...so again, I was logging 160 calories but eating 220.

there were numerous such items that this occurred for...I spent weeks thinking I was doing everything right...I was logging everything...I just wasn't logging it accurately...and that's kind of important.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just don't have the lifestyle that allows me to weigh and measure absolutely everything, so recently I decided to basically shoot for a few hundred calories below my deficit on most days. That is what did the trick for me and I am finally losing after a long period of being stuck. MFP recommended 1350 net calories for a 0.5lb deficit and I usually eat around 1150-1200 calories net. It ain't easy, but it is working.
  • bashfulgemini81
    bashfulgemini81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the number on the scale - weight loss shows itself in different forms, and there are so many variables that go into weighing yourself that it can affect the number shown. For example, the time of day, what you're wearing, how much water you're retaining, etc. all factor into your current weight. If you're exercising it may be that you're gaining weight in muscle at the same time that you're losing weight in fat.

In a few more weeks try on a piece of clothing you haven't worn in a while and see if it fits a bit looser than before. Take a picture of yourself now and one again in two weeks in the same position and see if you notice a difference. On MFP you can also track body measurements such as arm and neck circumference.

Weight loss is a frustrating process at times, and Calorie counting is not for everyone. The most important thing is changing your eating habits for the better. If you stick with it long enough you'll generally feel healthier, and you'll probably notice a difference in how you feel if you slip back into bad eating habits.

If counting Calories is not your thing you could always try a targeted diet that focuses more on what you eat rather than how much of it you eat.

Thanks for that information. Im actually going to start weight training to help tone as I lose weight, and that was one of my worries. I hate not seeing the scale not move, but yes inches off are better than losing pounds.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Your logging is way too generic. "Homemade Pasta and Meat Sauce - 2 cups" for less than 500 calories? Sorry... Considering two cups of cooked pasta is around 450 cals, then either you used a mere tablespoon of sauce or you used someone else's incorrect entry. The recipe builder is super easy to use - just make sure you're choosing correct ingredient entries.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    OP, I would suggest you consult your doctor. I was at your weight and I'm 5'6" and my goal weight is 190 lbs. I've lost weight consistently for approximately 30 months and am down significantly at a rate of .5lbs/wk. I was eating 1350 cal/day and the progress was non-existent. I asked my doc and he suggested I lower my intake by 100 cal. so now I eat in a range of 1200-1300 and I started losing, although it has been slow. However, people started noticing my transformation way before I did which motivated me to continue and now I'm down 40 lbs. Keep going, it will come off. I work out 5 days and week and am still on my journey, just remember it's a lifestyle change and that will help you continue and stay motivated.
  • purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your logging is way too generic. "Homemade Pasta and Meat Sauce - 2 cups" for less than 500 calories? Sorry... Considering two cups of cooked pasta is around 450 cals, then either you used a mere tablespoon of sauce or you used someone else's incorrect entry. The recipe builder is super easy to use - just make sure you're choosing correct ingredient entries.

Message received loud and clear! :) Going forward I will not be using the default setting but will break everything down by component.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Message received loud and clear! :) Going forward I will not be using the default setting but will break everything down by component.

It sounds time-consuming, but the recipe builder feature makes it REALLY easy. When you cook your meatloaf, just weigh and add in all of the ingredients, then set the number of portions. When you eat a slice, you can log your own recipe of meatloaf (your recipes will remain there), then add in your weighed bread and weighed condiments.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Logging is far too inconsistent and that is more than likely your issue.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Seconding the recipe builder - it looks a little daunting at first but it's surprisingly user-friendly. And definitely a time-saver if you find yourself making the same meals quite frequently :smiley:

Good luck! I'm just hopping back aboard the MFP train, myself...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your logging is all over the place and you're not calculating correctly. Cups aren't accurate, get a food scale.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options

+1 to the OP! Many folks just don't get this. Glad you've understood the difference between logging and logging accurately.

PS - @Mischievous_Rascal and @rabbitjb know their stuff. You are wise to heed their advice.
  • purelyprimitives
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just had another thought to pass by you guys. I went back to the scoobysworkshop calculator and I've attached a pic of the results here. I purposely choose 'desk job' which isn't really that accurate being I am much more active than that.

However, if I'm reading this correctly, the point is according to the calculator in order to maintain my current weight I need to eat 2550 cals/day. I have been basically 'maintaining' my weight for the past 3 weeks which would suggest that I am actually eating 2550 cals/day. Make sense?

I can't believe that I could be that far off per day but we'll see. BTW, I'm at 1072 so far for today which includes my dinner. So I'll need to finish off the day with a 1500 calorie snack :)

4nqv5518hwo9.png
  • flatlndr
    Options
    I just had another thought to pass by you guys. I went back to the scoobysworkshop calculator and I've attached a pic of the results here. I purposely choose 'desk job' which isn't really that accurate being I am much more active than that.

However, if I'm reading this correctly, the point is according to the calculator in order to maintain my current weight I need to eat 2550 cals/day. I have been basically 'maintaining' my weight for the past 3 weeks which would suggest that I am actually eating 2550 cals/day. Make sense?

I can't believe that I could be that far off per day but we'll see. BTW, I'm at 1072 so far for today which includes my dinner. So I'll need to finish off the day with a 1500 calorie snack :)

4nqv5518hwo9.png

Can you check all of your settings/inputs and try again? With your stats, I got 2162 for maintenance, and 1729 to lose 0.9 lb per week.
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Those 30 years are gonna pass anyway (god willing). Most people gain 10 lbs per year. I'd rather lose 10 a year.

Ditto! I gained steadily over a period of 10+ years. I'm okay if I don't lose it overnight. Counting calories, done properly, is not a quick fix, but quick fixes are proven to backfire more often than not, and that's not what I want.
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I went back and reset the activity level to 'desk job' but it still requires me to consume 2046 cals/day to lose 1 pound a week. I really don't know what to do at this point if I'm eating considerable less. I don't know if trying to weight everything more accurately will help or not but I give it a try. Thanks again!

You should read some of the getting started posts. In particular the sexypants one... You may not be eating enough calories in fact, which can set you up for failure long term. You should never eat less than your BMR... And I have also heard you should aim to have your net (after exercise) be above BMR but below TDEE.
  • flatlndr
    Options

4nqv5518hwo9.png

I wasn't at a computer earlier, so I couldn't take a screenshot. Here is what I get when I enter your stats:

uxjzupkqaomh.png

This seems much more reasonable than what you presented, given my own personal stats and experience.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but 3 weeks is not enough to judge. If you have started a new workout plan then you may be retaining quite a bit of water. If your plan is to lose 3 pounds in 3 weeks and ended up losing 1, 2 pounds of water weight is not entirely out of the realm of possibility (on particularly bloated days I retain as much as 5).

This is why weight is not the only thing you should measure. Use the measuring tape, how your clothes feel, your fitness progress..etc
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    Wow that's bizarre! Why do I get totally different numbers?
    p8meby8w9zmt.png
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    the difference is due to the age entered or not....