After only 3 weeks, I've dropped an entire pound!!! Woo Hoo!!

Options
At this rate, I'll reach my goal weight in a mere 30 years!

Seriously though, something is clearly not working. This site recommends that I eat 2080 cals/day to loose approximately 1 pound a week which is reasonable. I'm eating well below this amount and not seeing the expected weight-loss. Yes, I record and weight every single thing.

I joined MFP about a year ago and saw some modest weight loss but then ended up gaining it all back eating the same amount of calories.

For me, counting calories does not work.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not enough information provided for anyone to help you. Please provide your stats and open your diary.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Either start weighing all your food or drop your calories by 100/week until you begin losing. It seems you're close.

I do lose about a pound every three weeks and I'm happy about it. I thought this was going to be a thread celebrating what I celebrate and was kind of disappointed, dang it.

Stick with it. Don't give up. Adjustments needs to be made because everyone is different. It's not a precise One Size Fits All thing. Don't quit.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    At this rate, I'll reach my goal weight in a mere 30 years!

Seriously though, something is clearly not working. This site recommends that I eat 2080 cals/day to loose approximately 1 pound a week which is reasonable. I'm eating well below this amount and not seeing the expected weight-loss. Yes, I record and weight every single thing.

I joined MFP about a year ago and saw some modest weight loss but then ended up gaining it all back eating the same amount of calories.

For me, counting calories does not work.

Well, let's make sure you're doing it correctly first.

1. Do you own and use a food scale? I know you say you weigh, but I've seen people say that and it turns out they're using measuring cups.
    2. Do you make your own recipes, or do you rely on generic/homemade entries?
    3. Do you eat out frequently? Like several times a week?
    4. Have you been to a doctor to rule out health concerns?
    5. Do you engage in cheat days? How much do you eat on those days?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    That was me when I first started MFP but I didn't let it discourage me. I made some changes that work for me like using my food scale more, dropping 100 calories from my daily goal, being more consistent with my exercise, being more patient and realistic about my expectations, realizing weight loss isn't linear, water weight, etc.

There's a lot of trial and error when it comes to losing weight, you may have to try different but sustainable techniques before you find what works best for you.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Those 30 years are gonna pass anyway (god willing). Most people gain 10 lbs per year. I'd rather lose 10 a year.
  • britishswenglish
    britishswenglish Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the number on the scale - weight loss shows itself in different forms, and there are so many variables that go into weighing yourself that it can affect the number shown. For example, the time of day, what you're wearing, how much water you're retaining, etc. all factor into your current weight. If you're exercising it may be that you're gaining weight in muscle at the same time that you're losing weight in fat.

In a few more weeks try on a piece of clothing you haven't worn in a while and see if it fits a bit looser than before. Take a picture of yourself now and one again in two weeks in the same position and see if you notice a difference. On MFP you can also track body measurements such as arm and neck circumference.

Weight loss is a frustrating process at times, and Calorie counting is not for everyone. The most important thing is changing your eating habits for the better. If you stick with it long enough you'll generally feel healthier, and you'll probably notice a difference in how you feel if you slip back into bad eating habits.

If counting Calories is not your thing you could always try a targeted diet that focuses more on what you eat rather than how much of it you eat.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Counting calories does work, I think you are just counting too much of it. Keep in mind, the recommendation is an estimate and it's not always accurate.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh over 500 lbs? Because at the loss rate you posted you would lose 17lbs a year 17*30 years would be 510lbs. Btw, a better rate than mine @ 10lbs for a year on MFP.
  • purelyprimitives
    purelyprimitives Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow. To be honest, I didn't expect all these responses!
    I'd be happy to open my diary but don't know how you do that? Any help?
    Thanks.
  • jamesiewaimsy
    jamesiewaimsy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most days your eating under 1000 calories, seems ypu might be starving yourself or the body thinks so so your metabolism slows down to help store food for later - this helps you gain weight.
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    Most days your eating under 1000 calories, seems ypu might be starving yourself or the body thinks so so your metabolism slows down to help store food for later - this helps you gain weight.

I've heard this before but please explain how consistently eating less calories causes you to gain weight? I thought that was supposed to be the whole point to weight loss.

• KeKeSmith92
    KeKeSmith92 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Start eating more lean meats and veggies. And cut the carbs. And working out is a must! I see no workouts in your diary.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I've heard this before but please explain how consistently eating less calories causes you to gain weight? I thought that was supposed to be the whole point to weight loss.

It doesn't help you gain weight or every starving kid in Africa would be gaining weight....when ppl talk about "starvation mode" they usually are speaking of the body's propensity to burn more muscles instead of fat (due to improper nutrition) or possibly metabolic damage, neither of which are the same thing...

Anyway, I'll echo what other people have already posted....make sure you are using a food scale every time, make sure you are picking the correct database entry, if using a scale make sure you're doing the math correctly if you have a portion of a serving...and as a side note, make sure you eat enough, as in over 1000 calories a day, and have patience, especially if you don't have much to lose, since it will take time.

ETA proper nutrient intake will help your body burn fat instead of muscle, even though you will inevitably lose both based on the nature of weight loss. Also, there are several stickies on the forums that night help you along. I'm sorry, i don't have them quickly at my disposal here....

Boy, my phone and my meds both make me a terrible typist at night.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

No, no, no, no, no.

Eating too little results in rapid (and often unsafe) weight loss, not slow weight loss.

It's equivalent to claiming that the best way to gain weight is to stop eating....

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

No, no, no, no, no.

Eating too little results in rapid (and often unsafe) weight loss, not slow weight loss.

It's equivalent to claiming that the best way to gain weight is to stop eating....

SO I SHOULD EAT MORE! Yes! This is what I've been waiting to hear! :p
    (using the inverse logic that i should eat a ton to lose weight vs stop eating to gain weight)
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    Start eating more lean meats and veggies. And cut the carbs. And working out is a must! I see no workouts in your diary.

If you look at my diary report for carbs, you will see that I consume about 40 to 50% of the recommended daily amount of carbs. In the early part of my diary I started listing my daily physical activity but my net calories started going negative which didn't seem to help trying to figure out where I was.

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    This might seem like a weird one to add in, but make sure your scale is 1) electronic & 2) not in need of fresh batteries. Every time my scale's battery level gets low, it tends to not show my losses (or tells me my bf% is at 95 like it did this morning).

Also, check your waist circumference. If you've been exercising, depending on how hard your body will hold onto fluid to protect itself whilst it repairs and strengthens up your joints/muscles/ligaments. Your weight might not go down, but if you're not careful, your pants just might do it spontaneously!
  • purelyprimitives
    Options
    It doesn't help you gain weight or every starving kid in Africa would be gaining weight....when ppl talk about "starvation mode" they usually are speaking of the body's propensity to burn more muscles instead of fat (due to improper nutrition) or possibly metabolic damage, neither of which are the same thing...

Anyway, I'll echo what other people have already posted....make sure you are using a food scale every time, make sure you are picking the correct database entry, if using a scale make sure you're doing the math correctly if you have a portion of a serving...and as a side note, make sure you eat enough, as in over 1000 calories a day, and have patience, especially if you don't have much to lose, since it will take time.

ETA proper nutrient intake will help your body burn fat instead of muscle, even though you will inevitably lose both based on the nature of weight loss. Also, there are several stickies on the forums that night help you along. I'm sorry, i don't have them quickly at my disposal here....

Boy, my phone and my meds both make me a terrible typist at night.

From everything I've read regarding weight loss, your body burns readily available glucose first, then when that's depleted, it turns to fat stores. Only when fat stores are depleted, will it start to cannibalize muscle tissue. For instance: http://www.livestrong.com/article/471359-which-burns-first-fat-or-muscle/

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    From your profile, I see your age. Can you provide your height, current weight and target weight, so that we can check your suggested calorie targets? You're profile page says you have 40 lbs to lose, but your "30 year" comment seems to indicate you have more to lose. Your current weight will affect your intake numbers.

For example, if you are 5'10" and your current weight is 300 lbs, this calculator says you should target about 2060 cals per day to lose 1 lb a week, but if your current weight is 225 lbs, the intake target drops to just over 1700. (These figures are for sedentary activity level)

Keep in mind that these are just starting points. After you've been at it for a few weeks - including accurate weighing and logging - you may find you need to tweak your targets slightly.

And as you lose weight, you'll need to make further adjustments.