binge eating

Options
I have very strict diets in my past.... now I cant stop binge eating... any tips pls as this is happening alot

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what is leading to your binges, but strict diets are often associated with binges. What is your calorie goal per day?

I struggled with binges in the past when I tried to go too low calorie or when I restricted too many foods or restricted macro nutrients like fat or carbohydrates. Do you think this could be contributing to your issues?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    How many threads will you start with this?
  • Kylandme
    Kylandme Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    im surely not eating enough protein
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Kylandme wrote: »

Why not try a sensible deficit then, with plenty of protein, and take control. You don't have to starve yourself (and then binge as a result) to lose weight. If you'd like help determining a sensible deficit, let us know.

• janejellyroll
    Options

Is there a reason why you can't add more protein to your daily plan?
  • Kylandme
    Options
    I only like fish.... how can I add more protein? im sorry I really don't know where to start from
  • WBB55
    Options
    I only like fish.... how can I add more protein? im sorry I really don't know where to start from
    Here's a list I made of foods that enjoy with more than their fair share of protein. But if you want to lose weight, all you need to do is eat at a sensible deficit.

Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Swiss cheese
    Eggs
    Milk
    Steak
    Chicken breast
    Tuna
    Salmon
    Tilapia
    Anchovies
    Tuna
    Sardines
    Navy beans
    Lentils
    Jerkey
    Peanut butter
    Mixed nuts
    Edamame
    Green peas
    Wheat germ
    Soba noodles
    Quinoa
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have very strict diets in my past.... now I cant stop binge eating... any tips pls as this is happening alot

Stop the strict diets then.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

More dairy, beans, lentils, eggs, seafood
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Do you mean that fish is the only animal product that you like?

You can still get protein from beans, grains, tofu, seitan, lentils, peas, and protein powders. Do you know how many grams of protein you're averaging per day now?
  • Kylandme
    Options
    I don't count calories but I guess like 50 g per day because I focus on carbs... and binge alot
  • WBB55
    Options
    I don't count calories but I guess like 50 g per day because I focus on carbs... and binge alot
    Define "binge" and "a lot"
    3000 calories in one sitting daily? 600 calories of peanut butter once a week?

• Kylandme
    Options
    its daily in 1 sitting... I feel guilty of eating something and I blow out like a lot in 1 sitting... its daily or every 2 days
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    its daily in 1 sitting... I feel guilty of eating something and I blow out like a lot in 1 sitting... its daily or every 2 days

Eating what?
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So start counting calories then! I have had short spouts of binge eating in my past, up to a month at a time where I would binge terribly at least once a day. I found it was more a habit than anything. So once you break the habit - don't go back! If I have one bad day, yes it's tempting to give up the next day too but that turns it into a habitual cycle all over again. So if you are concerned about eating too many carbs, use MFP to log your food for a while, then make adjustments based off of what you see you are truly eating. The food diary is a great tool, so since you're here already, you might as well give it a try. I find that pre-planning and logging at least one or two meals for the next day helps me stay on track. I've successfully broken my last overeating phase and have been mostly on track for about 2 weeks now. It feels great. But if I didn't log my food, I wouldn't be able to keep myself accountable.
  • Kylandme
    Options

Eating what?

binges mainly are on 3 things: cookies, cereal and crisps
  • WBB55
    Options
    binges mainly are on 3 things: cookies, cereal and crisps

(1) you could not buy them or keep them in the house.
    (2) have you calculated how many calories it is? Maybe it's not as much of a "binge" as you think.
    [(3) Someone using cookies and crisps in one sentence? What country are you from? *WBB's brain explodes*]

• Kylandme
    Options
    im from malta Europe...I guess im abnormal
  • WBB55
    Options
    im from malta Europe...I guess im abnormal
    Stop it. Just STOP feeling sorry for yourself. I know it's hard to hear, but ain't no one here to put you down.
  • Kylandme
    Options
    I know the more I feel pity the more im in this cycle... I guess I have to put up my sleeves and change my diet and count everything... im trying to eat at maintainance for few weeks