"If you're fat and lose weight, you're probably gonna get fat again"

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    I will probably get ridiculed for this post, but whatever.

I have binge eating disorder. I have also lost weight (30-80 lbs) at least 7 times in the past 12 years. I always gain it back because sooner or later BED takes over my brain and I binge for like 3 months straight. I am feeling good right now, and losing weight. I lost 30 lbs last year (from January to September) and thought that would be the last time because I was very into lifting. I thought that strength gains were enough motivation to hold it together. I wanted so badly to break out of that regain statistic and be in the 10%. Obviously, it didn't work out that way.

Once I had lost the weight I wanted to, I quit smoking which sent me into a nervous breakdown (for real, and to all the "sugar addiction" people, you minimize my experience by perpetuating nonsense) and was prescribed xanax and paxil, which helped my anxiety but made me into a hungry sloth. Finally, I stopped lifting which was the sword in the heart. Everything went to hell for me and I ended up at 13 lbs higher than my original starting weight.

I have been around these boards long enough to know that there are many people who are gone. There was a thread like this last year, and everyone always insists that they will not ever go back. Most of the people who insisted that they were the 10% now have inactive accounts. I mean, they *could* be maintaining without MFP, but honestly, a formerly overweight person needs to monitor their food forever to maintain.

I'm not saying no one should ever try. If I hadn't taken the time to lose the weight all those times, I would probably be 400 lbs right now. I'm just saying, don't be so arrogant to think that you are going to be perfect or that it can't happen to you. All I can do is work towards my goal and hope that this time I can trust my brain when I get there.

i dont think its arrogance at all. you still have to be mindful of what you are doing. same as my slimmer friends. you have to continually watch what you are doing. Whatever issues I complained about my nurse used to say i should lose weight. everything was weight related. I lost weight and i feel good. I exercise i feel good. I also like the way i look, i also like having lots of choice when i am shopping. I like being more active with my daughter. i like the new adventures moving from the couch brings me. SO all this is worth the effort.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying no one should ever try. If I hadn't taken the time to lose the weight all those times, I would probably be 400 lbs right now. I'm just saying, don't be so arrogant to think that you are going to be perfect or that it can't happen to you. All I can do is work towards my goal and hope that this time I can trust my brain when I get there.

I agree with this.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

I have binge eating disorder. I have also lost weight (30-80 lbs) at least 7 times in the past 12 years. I always gain it back because sooner or later BED takes over my brain and I binge for like 3 months straight. I am feeling good right now, and losing weight. I lost 30 lbs last year (from January to September) and thought that would be the last time because I was very into lifting. I thought that strength gains were enough motivation to hold it together. I wanted so badly to break out of that regain statistic and be in the 10%. Obviously, it didn't work out that way.

Once I had lost the weight I wanted to, I quit smoking which sent me into a nervous breakdown (for real, and to all the "sugar addiction" people, you minimize my experience by perpetuating nonsense) and was prescribed xanax and paxil, which helped my anxiety but made me into a hungry sloth. Finally, I stopped lifting which was the sword in the heart. Everything went to hell for me and I ended up at 13 lbs higher than my original starting weight.

I have been around these boards long enough to know that there are many people who are gone. There was a thread like this last year, and everyone always insists that they will not ever go back. Most of the people who insisted that they were the 10% now have inactive accounts. I mean, they *could* be maintaining without MFP, but honestly, a formerly overweight person needs to monitor their food forever to maintain.

I'm sorry you've gone through all this. Nothing to be ridiculed over!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Only a fool would ridicule this. Bravo Zulu to you!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Thanks for being brave enough to post anyway. I know about anxiety, Paxil and Xanax. I haven't needed the latter recently but I have every reason to believe the Paxil will be a constant in my life. It is hard work to get the anxiety under control, sometimes you think you have it and then BAM. I had to get the anxiety under control before I even wanted to lose weight. You should be given high praise to be at the weight you are now and to have the desire to continue the battle.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

It's not arrogance, it's fact. If you can find a reasonable escrow agent, I'll give 2:1 odds to whomever wants to bet against me over the next, say, five years.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's not arrogance, it's fact. If you can find a reasonable escrow agent, I'll give 2:1 odds to whomever wants to bet against me over the next, say, five years.

did you mention you were a lawyer? you definitely sound like a lawyer

aaaaand this is where I realize that I'm on here too much (!)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Would that be legal?
  • DeguelloTex
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Would that be legal?
    Texas defines gambling as being decided in whole or part by chance. This wouldn't be chance. It could easily be defined as some type of performance contract.

And, no, I no longer practice law.

• Kalikel
    Options

Would that be legal?
    Texas defines gambling as being decided in whole or part by chance. This wouldn't be chance. It could easily be defined as some type of performance contract.

I didn't ask if you were practicing. I was just wondering if betting was legal because I had heard that it wasn't, but have no idea where I heard that.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Would that be legal?

I didn't ask if you were practicing. I was just wondering if betting was legal because I had heard that it wasn't, but have no idea where I heard that.
    The person above you asked if I was a lawyer, so I answered.

Gambling/betting laws are hardly uniform across the U.S.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options

Would that be legal?

Sorry for intrusive questioning - I just remembered you mentioning something about law, recently, and noted your confidence in comments here. I really am on here too much!

I think it's best for *everyone* to approach weight loss - or any project - with the belief that they can succeed. Some people obviously do succeed, so why can't it be you (generic you)? Nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost, in this case).

(Well it might not be you if you're not doing things in ways that will actually help you now and in the longer term, so obviously, people should get good information on that, and not rely on quick fixes, for example. But if you follow good advice, no reason it can't be you.)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Would that be legal?

Sorry for intrusive questioning - I just remembered you mentioning something about law, recently, and noted your confidence in comments here. I really am on here too much!

I think it's best for *everyone* to approach weight loss - or any project - with the belief that they can succeed. Some people obviously do succeed, so why can't it be you (generic you)? Nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost, in this case).

(Well it might not be you if you're not doing things in ways that will actually help you now and in the longer term, so obviously, people should get good information on that, and not rely on quick fixes, for example. But if you follow good advice, no reason it can't be you.)
    I didn't consider it intrusive. I'd mentioned it already, so it's fair game.

"I can't do this" probably isn't the best way to start many projects.

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options

This is the main thing that got to me in this post. Any others who have been here a while who can comment on this?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Would that be legal?

I didn't consider it intrusive. I'd mentioned it already, so it's fair game.

"I can't do this" probably isn't the best way to start many projects.

Ah good :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

This is the main thing that got to me in this post. Any others who have been here a while who can comment on this?
    I don't log when I'm maintaining, only when trying to lose or gain.
  • Kalikel
    edited July 2015
    Options

Check out the Introduction or Getting Started section. Every day, someone will post that they lost and regained and are losing again, it gets so depressing to read all the "life happened" posts that you need your armor on to read it sometimes.

However, I don't think that leaving MFP means people are gaining weight. They might be logging elsewhere, done losing or just done logging. You don't have to log to lose or maintain, so bailing on this place isn't an indication that they're fat again, I don't think. I know one poster left for personal reasons. She's not getting fat. :)

But obviously, as I said before (and which some disagree with), some people in this thread who are sure they won't regain the weight are going to regain weight. We aren't ALL exceptions.

I really think it won't be me, just like the rest, but it's going to be someone. Plans, plans and more plans for me! But then, the best laid plans of mice and men...

I think I'm going to hang a sign in the master bath to remind myself to care EVERY DAY. Of course if I didn't care, then I suppose I'd just take the sign down, lol.

Argh!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am coming into this thread a little late and haven't read it all but I do need to say one thing. Since I have been here I have often come under fire for talking about healthy food and are repeatedly told "there is no such thing as good or bad foods." I do not believe this for one second. I have been thin all my life and it is only now as I approach 60 that I find myself slightly overweight. I simply eat too much and have dropped my rule and introduced some processed foods into my diet.

I believe and have seen it numerous times over my life ( and I am not remotely interested in backing this up with studies, data or such) that people on diets, be it Weight Watchers, Paleo, Atkins, MFP or any other diet which restricts calories, will be successful and lose weight. CICO and exercise will produce the desired weight loss and then the dieter will maintain for a certain amount of time but gradually they start to increase the amount of food they eat, one cola, take away burger, cake or packet of crisps at a time and will eventually regain the weight.

Now the small percentage of people who maintain and don't regain the weight are those who reduced their intake of food, exercised, changed their bad eating habits, ate healthy food, (chicken, meat, fish, vegetables, fruit) and did not return to eating sugary and highly processed, unnatural foods.

I think the "CICO and exercise" advice given on here is correct, however, I believe "the eat what you like as long as it fits into your calories for the day" and "there is no such thing as bad food" advice is flawed.

Good health and stable weight comes down to good nutrition and I genuinely believe that the people on this site are incredibly brave in their struggles and I wish them every success in being the one to prove the statistics wrong.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I am coming into this thread a little late and haven't read it all but I do need to say one thing. Since I have been here I have often come under fire for talking about healthy food and are repeatedly told "there is no such thing as good or bad foods." I do not believe this for one second. I have been thin all my life and it is only now as I approach 60 that I find myself slightly overweight. I simply eat too much and have dropped my rule and introduced some processed foods into my diet.

I believe and have seen it numerous times over my life ( and I am not remotely interested in backing this up with studies, data or such) that people on diets, be it Weight Watchers, Paleo, Atkins, MFP or any other diet which restricts calories, will be successful and lose weight. CICO and exercise will produce the desired weight loss and then the dieter will maintain for a certain amount of time but gradually they start to increase the amount of food they eat, one cola, take away burger, cake or packet of crisps at a time and will eventually regain the weight.

Now the small percentage of people who maintain and don't regain the weight are those who reduced their intake of food, exercised, changed their bad eating habits, ate healthy food, (chicken, meat, fish, vegetables, fruit) and did not return to eating sugary and highly processed, unnatural foods.

I think the "CICO and exercise" advice given on here is correct, however, I believe "the eat what you like as long as it fits into your calories for the day" and "there is no such thing as bad food" advice is flawed.

Good health and stable weight comes down to good nutrition and I genuinely believe that the people on this site are incredibly brave in their struggles and I wish them every success in being the one to prove the statistics wrong.

The thing is, this is your personal experience (and I respect it). It can't be generalized. I for example I gained most of my weight and reached a weight of more than 300 pounds eating predominantly what you classify as healthy. I ate out or ordered delivery maybe 2-3 times a year and had sugary or salty snacks maybe once every 2-3 weeks. Cola and sugary drinks were, and still are, so low on my priority list that I only had/have it if it happens to be presented to me with a meal. One serving of ice cream has always been enough for me.

I ate that way not because I had a rule, but because that's my preference in food. In fact I now consume more "processed foods" than I did when I was super obese because I'm more busy now than I was then and some processed foods are conveniently portion controlled. I am now 100 pounds lighter than I was before.

I may be an outlier, but this only shows that how much you eat, not what you eat, is what causes one to gain weight... and that introducing more "bad foods" does not automatically mean weight gain. The only difference between me and someone who lives on pizza and cola is that we have different preferences and cultural upbringing so we both happen to overindulge in the foods we are accustomed to - which in their case is "junk food".