"If you're fat and lose weight, you're probably gonna get fat again"

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    If you return to old habits, OF COURSE you will gain it back. I think changing ones lifestyle and dump the pizza and braughtworst, and trade it for lean chicken and fish, beans and low carb foods as well as a great workout at least 3 days a week or more. Good things are bound to happen. You shed the old you and leave it behind you, never to return. It can be done, I am living proof.

No pizza ever?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't know why these statistics are discouraging to some people. Knowledge is always good and helps formulate plans. When I look at statistics here is what I see...

Many people regain weight:
    It's going to need constant attention from me and reaching my goal weight does not mean "I'm done".

People who lose weight often have metabolic adaptation:
    I need to take that into account when designing my maintenance plan.

90% of the people who maintain exercise at least 1 hour a day:
    Physical activity will need to always be a part of my life.

People who weigh themselves often tend to regain less weight than those who don't:
    Keep a close eye on the scales and catch any weight gain before it's out of control.

Those who are educated about maintenance tend to retain weight loss better than those who aren't (duh):
    It's never too early to start thinking about and planning maintenance.

Emotional triggers are one of the most common reasons for regain:
    Learn coping mechanisms for various negative emotions, stress reduction and seeking help right away when depressed.

Maintaining the weight loss for more than 5 years greatly increases the odds of long term maintenance:
    Every time I feel like giving in I should keep my eyes on this goal and tell myself "Just hold on for x more years and it may become a little bit easier".

Losing at least 3-10% of your weight at any point has health benefits, even after regain. And the less exposure a person has to high BMI throughout their life the better their odds are:
    Even if I do end up regaining, my efforts are not wasted. Not only is it life experience on what causes me to fail, but it's also not a "failure" by any means. In addition to that, it's better for me to restart weight loss than to "give up".
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have people who have sent me friend requests, than a month or so later, they disappear. Most of the people I see in this thread have been here awhile and are still losing or maintaining. As an optimist, I think the one or two in a thousand are here. My life experience tells me that today's outlier can be in the majority in a few years. Women over 35 get married more often than stuck by lightening, a black man is the US President, Gay marriage is legal, more women than men graduate with advanced degrees in the US, and many other previously statistically unlikely outcomes have become the new reality.
    Great post A++++++(continue writing on chalkboard)
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Similarly, although I regained, that I understood how weight loss worked and had figured it out for myself (based on research, etc.) before made me a lot more confident about it and my ability to be successful again. I do think that put me in a better position than someone who lost by doing a fad diet or just following "rules" she didn't understand and hadn't really learned or incorporated the knowledge (I also think this is why it was reasonably simple to maintain for the 5 years until I stopped caring). So in that sense I think it did matter--for me, at least--that I did a pretty sensible, moderate calorie, nutrition-based approach before, and not some shake-based thing or the military diet or whatever. ;-) There is so much shocking ignorance--that I honestly have trouble believing is genuine--demonstrated in the forums and in diet-talk generally that I think having some understanding does help a lot, even if of course it doesn't mean you are immune from regain.
    Yeah another huge point, I may regain all this weight in the future. But I'm going to know why I regained it, I'm gonna know it's my fault, and I'm gonna know how to fix it again. As are most of us here. That puts us leagues ahead of others.
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I have people who have sent me friend requests, than a month or so later, they disappear. Most of the people I see in this thread have been here awhile and are still losing or maintaining. As an optimist, I think the one or two in a thousand are here. My life experience tells me that today's outlier can be in the majority in a few years. Women over 35 get married more often than stuck by lightening, a black man is the US President, Gay marriage is legal, more women than men graduate with advanced degrees in the US, and many other previously statistically unlikely outcomes have become the new reality.

Agree completely! Amazing to witness.

Smoking - normal not long ago, taboo now

Vegetarianism - "rabbit food" for weirdos, previously; commonplace in major metros today

MFP itself is a HUGE innovation

I hope a critical mass of grassroots momentum through tools like this and just popular culture will energize policy solutions to take care of the rest of the reach (as happened with smoking)
    Yeah I read somewhere that the obesity rates (at least in the U.S.) have actually been going down recently. I didn't look too much into it to know if it's someone twisting statistics again but in any case times are a-changing. One big difference is that since we've finally dropped a lot of the "fat/saturated fat is the reason we're fat" idiocy we are able to take a more honest look at things, though nonsense still persists.
    I love your post, but an hour a day? That's a lot.

In any case, I think everyone who's posted is right to some degree. Yes, we are at an advantage here, for many reasons. But in the general population, most still fail because this is hard. Stay vigilant, peeps.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love your post, but an hour a day? That's a lot.

That's because the most common exercise is walking. For a more intense exercise it would require less time. Basically the average is the equivalent of walking 3 miles a day (or 28 miles a week) or burning about 200 calories a day.

The number is actually interesting to me. Metabolic adaptation is roughly 200 calories, so keeping up the same amount of burn would put one at a regular average TDEE. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if there is more to it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you return to old habits, OF COURSE you will gain it back. I think changing ones lifestyle and dump the pizza and braughtworst, and trade it for lean chicken and fish, beans and low carb foods as well as a great workout at least 3 days a week or more. Good things are bound to happen. You shed the old you and leave it behind you, never to return. It can be done, I am living proof.

Hell no, if I didn't allow myself the things I like I'd fail miserably at maintenance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hell no, if I didn't allow myself the things I like I'd fail miserably at maintenance.

exactly.

If I thought for one minute I couldn't eat foods I love I wouldn't be here...heck with that.

Just because we are losing/maintaining doesn't mean "life" stops...that's when you fail....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Oh, hell, no.

I'm not eliminating pizza or bratwurst or high carb foods from my diet. I've still lose 115 pounds.

If you want to deprive yourself of that stuff, have at it. It's personal preference, not necessity.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The fact that everyone in this thread thinks it won't be them tells you something! Some of them are wrong.
    You have no way of knowing that.
    It doesn't take a genius to count them up and do the math.

And you wrote many postings doubting yourself and thinking so much about other failings with statistics. Jeez we wonder do we?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

There is nothing wrong with pizza. In my experience those who try to continue the elimination diets into the never ending maintenance are not very successful.

I like the idea that eliminating bratwurst = a major lifestyle change. I didn't know that many people were that into bratwurst before. Maybe we are all from Wisconsin?

I also agree about the being nothing wrong with pizza, of course. (Or bratwurst, which I eat occasionally, about as often as I ever did. It's just not something I think of that often.)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I was eating in a way that was not something I could do long term. I thought at first I would be able to, but then I just wasn't able to take it anymore (after about 6-7 months). I maintained the loss for a few months before Holidays and moving, during which time I made absolutely horrible choices. Yes, I regained about half of what I had lost. I did catch myself though and lost what I had regained plus an additional 20 lbs or so with the help of MFP (bring me to the 90lb loss mark). Then, yep I regained again. I was told to stop counting calories by a doctor for a 9 month duration. I managed to maintain my loss for a few months before hormones and poor choices caught up with me. I gained 40 lbs during those 9 months. However, it's been a little over a year (14 months to be exact) since those 9 months ended and I not only lost the weight I had gained but also lost an additional 38 lbs.

I was disappointed with my self for the first regain, but I learned somethings from it. My second regain, doesn't bother me at all. I probably could have minimized my regain if I had continued to count the second time, but my doctor was concerned that I was restricting too much and he was probably right. I did manage to keep the weight off for a few months. That is until hormones and bad choices got the best of me. It was brief and every pound was worth it in the end though. :laugh:

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle maintenance. I'm actually scared of it a bit. Which is probably part of the reason that I moved my goal a little lower (I know I can't keep moving it downwards and I'm going to have to stop at some point). I'm going to try my hardest not to regain any of the weight I've lost. I know it's a possibility, but I'm hoping that I will have the will power/motivation to keep myself in check. I really fear that I'll end up letting a little slip up gain of say 10 lbs snowball out of control. I want to be able to say that will never happen, but I know that I can't predict my future.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with pizza. In my experience those who try to continue the elimination diets into the never ending maintenance are not very successful.

I like the idea that eliminating bratwurst = a major lifestyle change. I didn't know that many people were that into bratwurst before. Maybe we are all from Wisconsin?

Aside: I never ate bratwurst (brats) before I moved to Wisconsin, but they are pretty much a staple food here during summer grilling season. They are far superior to hot dogs and I feel sorry for those who don't have them readily available.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't know why these statistics are discouraging to some people. Knowledge is always good and helps formulate plans. When I look at statistics here is what I see...

Many people regain weight:
    It's going to need constant attention from me and reaching my goal weight does not mean "I'm done".

People who lose weight often have metabolic adaptation:
    I need to take that into account when designing my maintenance plan.

People who weigh themselves often tend to regain less weight than those who don't:
    Keep a close eye on the scales and catch any weight gain before it's out of control.

Those who are educated about maintenance tend to retain weight loss better than those who aren't (duh):
    It's never too early to start thinking about and planning maintenance.

Emotional triggers are one of the most common reasons for regain:
    Learn coping mechanisms for various negative emotions, stress reduction and seeking help right away when depressed.

Maintaining the weight loss for more than 5 years greatly increases the odds of long term maintenance:
    Every time I feel like giving in I should keep my eyes on this goal and tell myself "Just hold on for x more years and it may become a little bit easier".

Losing at least 3-10% of your weight at any point has health benefits, even after regain. And the less exposure a person has to high BMI throughout their life the better their odds are:
    Even if I do end up regaining, my efforts are not wasted. Not only is it life experience on what causes me to fail, but it's also not a "failure" by any means. In addition to that, it's better for me to restart weight loss than to "give up".

Well said. This is my point too.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is why I get really frustrated when I hear experts spout negativity regarding exercise. Exercise creates a positive feedback where the individual will see direct performance results from losing/gaining weight. Exercise, while not essential to loss, has shown to be absolutely critical in maintenance. Sure there are outliers who lost and maintain without exercise, but this is exceptionally rare.

One of the critical factors in success that is often overlooked is for people to get past all the mountainous disinformation out there. What results on MFP is some interesting thread watching, and several misinformed people with hurt feeling once myths regarding cleanses, clean eating, etc. are dispelled.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is why I get really frustrated when I hear experts spout negativity regarding exercise. Exercise creates a positive feedback where the individual will see direct performance results from losing/gaining weight. Exercise, while not essential to loss, has shown to be absolutely critical in maintenance.

And the odds are that you aren't going to exercise in maintenance if you didn't build the habit during weight loss.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I also agree about the being nothing wrong with pizza, of course. (Or bratwurst, which I eat occasionally, about as often as I ever did. It's just not something I think of that often.)

Here in Germany we've got charcoal grills where fresh Bratwurst is made on every corner. It's paradise on earth.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Here in Germany we've got charcoal grills where fresh Bratwurst is made on every corner. It's paradise on earth.

I've been there and seen/smelled/eaten it and it is indeed beautiful *tear*

I love sausages of all kinds but can't justify them that often based on current activity level *tear*
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think thats why its important to make healthy habits and continue to do so once you hit your goal weight. Not just oh hey, I'm going to diet like mad then eat like I did pre diet and not move my body and gain it back.

I know so much now about health that I didn't know when I started in the mid 300's. I didn't eat badly, no fast food or pop, not a lot of junk. What I did do was eat very large portions, every meal was to the point where I felt sore I was so full. That coupled with lack of movement, its easy to see how I got to where I was. 149 lbs down done by CICO and I keep learning. 80 lbs to go and I know once I hit it, I won't gain it back. I understand CICO out now and I actually kind of enjoy working out. Most importantly I DONT want to be how I was before again.

Healthy life VS diet, wins every time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Aside: I never ate bratwurst (brats) before I moved to Wisconsin, but they are pretty much a staple food here during summer grilling season. They are far superior to hot dogs and I feel sorry for those who don't have them readily available.

Yeah, I don't eat hot dogs much--although I will still fight anyone who claims that putting ketchup on one is ever acceptable, and of course Vienna beef is the only way to go--and sometimes do like polish sausage over brats, but I tend to agree that brats are superior.

I still eat them (all of the above, whichever is chosen) only at occasional summer cookouts and sporting events, though, so I find the idea that eliminating them would be a lifestyle change odd (I'd just have a burger, or like I said, a polish).

I understand you Wisconsinites have your own special ways, though. ;-)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I will probably get ridiculed for this post, but whatever.

I have binge eating disorder. I have also lost weight (30-80 lbs) at least 7 times in the past 12 years. I always gain it back because sooner or later BED takes over my brain and I binge for like 3 months straight. I am feeling good right now, and losing weight. I lost 30 lbs last year (from January to September) and thought that would be the last time because I was very into lifting. I thought that strength gains were enough motivation to hold it together. I wanted so badly to break out of that regain statistic and be in the 10%. Obviously, it didn't work out that way.

Once I had lost the weight I wanted to, I quit smoking which sent me into a nervous breakdown (for real, and to all the "sugar addiction" people, you minimize my experience by perpetuating nonsense) and was prescribed xanax and paxil, which helped my anxiety but made me into a hungry sloth. Finally, I stopped lifting which was the sword in the heart. Everything went to hell for me and I ended up at 13 lbs higher than my original starting weight.

I have been around these boards long enough to know that there are many people who are gone. There was a thread like this last year, and everyone always insists that they will not ever go back. Most of the people who insisted that they were the 10% now have inactive accounts. I mean, they *could* be maintaining without MFP, but honestly, a formerly overweight person needs to monitor their food forever to maintain.

I'm not saying no one should ever try. If I hadn't taken the time to lose the weight all those times, I would probably be 400 lbs right now. I'm just saying, don't be so arrogant to think that you are going to be perfect or that it can't happen to you. All I can do is work towards my goal and hope that this time I can trust my brain when I get there.