August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    13.1 yesterday and 10 mile slow run today.

105.85/200 goal

Race report (Run This Town half marathon in Oakland, CA)- PR!!!!1:39.44! Beats my previous best by about 20 seconds however that PR was 7 years and 2 kids ago. The fastest I have ru I the last few years was 1:47 last January. The course was fun. Flat first 4-5, then rolling hills and finishing with a flat 3 around a city lake. I started running and talking with this guy around mile 3 and we ended up running the whole thing together. Just chatting and encouraging each other. Very fun!

@briebee7 FANTASTIC!!!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    I don't know how so many of you manage to run in the High Humidity and temperatures that so many of you report. Of course people say We Be Crazy for our Winter Frost Bite Runs so it all equals out some how.
    8.5 km Group Trail run today on the taper for the triathlon next weekend.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    What started as a 4 mile recovery run ended up as a 7 mile easy run. I'm not sure there's much difference, other than the distance.

I'm finding some beautiful, secluded suburban paved trails to run around here. The one I was on today will be perfect for taking Kody with me when it cools down a little bit. It follows a creek with many places to access it.

My first mile was tough because of my sore quads, but as I've found so many times, the first mile lies! I pushed on and soon the pain left, keeping my heart rate down was easy, and I just kept going. The quad pain came back the last mile and I'm pretty sore right now, but then 17 miles in 2 days is my 2-day high. I just need to keep moving and stretching today. Temps were upper 70's but cloudy and not too humid. I'm excited about Tuesday & Wednesday...highs in the upper 60's! but I'll be running between the raindrops.

Tomorrow is a definite, earned rest day.

I leave you with some pictures from my run:

u5g4rb7h1gdq.jpg
    jxqt64gud448.jpg
    qtjyah5bmuzg.jpg
    p1qj3wqsnkyi.jpeg
    ehs8mea5c9z4.jpeg

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @shell1005, glad to hear your hammies are getting better! Heck of a jump in the run miles today too.
    @JoRocka, beautiful pictures and a great run! Bummer about the chafing though.
    @shanaber, welcome back!
    @aarar & @kristinegift, great long runs!
    @AlexPaige, congrats on the running milestone and the time! Looking forward to hearing how how you do in the 5k next month.
    @briebee7, Dang!!! congrats on a great race!!
    @juliet3455, I agree, folks here calling upper 80's 'moderate' (yeah, I'm talking about you, @shanaber!) just makes me shake my head. I'd have a tough time in that. I'll get my turn when the winter hits though.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Popsicle sounds like a great reward after a run - I should put some into my freezer too!
    @AlexPaige Well done on those 5k! Sounds like you'll have a great time in your September race.
    @JoRocka Those are some great photos! Chafing is really annoying - for me it's usually not the underwears fault (I think I've weeded out all the stupid-fitting panties by now)... But there are times I can see where the infamous "thigh gap" would come in handy, lol. I can't wear really short shorts when running. I even went and bought some of the sort off embarrasingly named "body glide", but I wasn't impressed by the stuff. *sigh*
    @briebee7 Congratulations on that PR! Sounds like you had a great time.
    @7lenny7 Those trails look beautiful. Enjoy your well-earned rest day after those two high-mile days.
    @shanaber: I'm with you on the heat - a few degrees more than normal, and every step becomes a struggle for me...

I had a wonderful run on Friday evening, when a nice little thunderstorm started, just as I wanted to go to bed - so instead of into my pyjamas, I changed into my running shoes and headed out into a lovely midnight run. There was a little lightning in the sky, but that didn't detract from the wonderful cool air.

Today I overslept my alarm and didn't get out early enough to catch some cooler morning air, so it was a real struggle again. And I found a new strage item for my list of things to complain about: there is this little area in one of the parks I sometimes go for my long runs, where they planted lots of Dahlias. It looks quite pretty, but now they are all beginning to bloom, and the smell is quite intensive. One of them would smell nice, a few hundred combined with the heat nearly made my sick. I might have to come back on a nice rainy day to enjoy the view; today I just snapped a quick picture before I turned back around, rather than running through the flower garden.

4n8so3meb3i5.jpg

14.8.15 - 6.4 km
    16.8.15 - 11.5 km
    62.5km of 111km done
    exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Lots of great runs in this weekend by everyone! So jealous - I got lots of biking in, but miss my runs. This morning would have been perfect for running as far as humidity goes. Storming now, so hoping tomorrow will be nice when I go out early. Legs are feeling pretty tired so not positive I will run in the morning - may mix up the run days this week.

Aug 1 - 43 mile bike ride
    Aug 2 - 37 mile bike ride
    Aug 3 - 4.1 miles
    Aug 4 - 4.15 miles in morning; strength training and cycling class. Yeah, I’m crazy.
    Aug 5 - 6.15 miles - too hot to do my long run for the week.
    Aug 6 - strength training and cycling class (hills!)
    Aug 7 - rest day
    Aug 8 - 34 mile bike ride
    Aug 9 - 46 mile bike ride
    Aug 10 - 5.1 miles
    Aug 11 - 1 hr cycling class and strength training
    Aug 12 - 3.5
    Aug 13 - 4.25 miles; strength training and cycling class. Still crazy.
    Aug 14 - rest day
    Aug 15 - 44 mile bike ride
    Aug 16 - 47 mile bike ride

exercise.png

@briebee7 - wow that is an amazing time!
    @alexpaige - Way to go!
    @jorocka - OW on the chafing. Lots of issues with riding bikes in that respect. I use a cream while biking ... http://www.amazon.com/Reflect-Sports-Ride-Glide-8-Ounce/dp/B009NN2O86. The name is interesting. :wink: It seems to help. I can tell it works because if I forget to use it, ouch. I think it would help with running too.
    @kristinegift - awesome run! You deserve more than a popsicle!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    13.1 yesterday and 10 mile slow run today.

105.85/200 goal

Race report (Run This Town half marathon in Oakland, CA)- PR!!!!1:39.44! Beats my previous best by about 20 seconds however that PR was 7 years and 2 kids ago. The fastest I have ru I the last few years was 1:47 last January. The course was fun. Flat first 4-5, then rolling hills and finishing with a flat 3 around a city lake. I started running and talking with this guy around mile 3 and we ended up running the whole thing together. Just chatting and encouraging each other. Very fun!

Wow! What a huge drop in time, and the course sounds ideal (I love having downhills to look forward to). Congratulations!

@ddmom0811 Oh, I had more than a popsicle! The popsicle was a cooldown treat, and then I treated myself to Chinese takeout later :)

Sounds like a great weekend of runs, all. Keep it goin'! :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    My first mile was tough because of my sore quads, but as I've found so many times, the first mile lies! I pushed on and soon the pain left, keeping my heart rate down was easy, and I just kept going.

that right there is the truth- the first mile lies!!! Every time I stepped out to race in HS I remember dying in the first 1/2 mile for some reason- takes me about 3/4-1 mile to really get warmed up into it- glad you had a nice 7 miler recovery!!
    @kristinegift Popsicle sounds like a great reward after a run - I should put some into my freezer too!
    @AlexPaige Well done on those 5k! Sounds like you'll have a great time in your September race.
    @JoRocka Those are some great photos! Chafing is really annoying - for me it's usually not the underwears fault (I think I've weeded out all the stupid-fitting panties by now)... But there are times I can see where the infamous "thigh gap" would come in handy, lol. I can't wear really short shorts when running. I even went and bought some of the sort off embarrasingly named "body glide", but I wasn't impressed by the stuff. *sigh*
    @briebee7 Congratulations on that PR! Sounds like you had a great time.
    @7lenny7 Those trails look beautiful. Enjoy your well-earned rest day after those two high-mile days.
    @shanaber: I'm with you on the heat - a few degrees more than normal, and every step becomes a struggle for me...

I had a wonderful run on Friday evening, when a nice little thunderstorm started, just as I wanted to go to bed - so instead of into my pyjamas, I changed into my running shoes and headed out into a lovely midnight run. There was a little lightning in the sky, but that didn't detract from the wonderful cool air.

Today I overslept my alarm and didn't get out early enough to catch some cooler morning air, so it was a real struggle again. And I found a new strage item for my list of things to complain about: there is this little area in one of the parks I sometimes go for my long runs, where they planted lots of Dahlias. It looks quite pretty, but now they are all beginning to bloom, and the smell is quite intensive. One of them would smell nice, a few hundred combined with the heat nearly made my sick. I might have to come back on a nice rainy day to enjoy the view; today I just snapped a quick picture before I turned back around, rather than running through the flower garden.

yeah- I hadn't reached mileage where it mattered- if I don't have fabric between the space 2-3" below my actual groin it'll rub so raw it'll bleed- typically my capris pants it's fine- I used to run commando- but to many miles and the seams start annoying my undercarriage... honestly this was the first long run I had with interfering underwear. I have some seamless microfiber- I may have to get 2-3 more pairs specifically for my long runs- 3-5 seems to be a none issue.

Enough training and I'm now starting sorting out the problems LOL
    Huzzay for evening runs- but BOOOOOOOOOOO for extra flowers- I'm way more sensetive to strong smells when I'm running- that sucks they added that. :(

Great job on the PR @briebee7
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @kristinegift - I have never run with a group. Thinking I should try it sometime but I worry I will be too slow! I do have a group of friends who meet and run along the beach cliffs on Sundays but I would have to get up a 4:30 to get there in time and I am not sure I am willing to do that on a Sunday :)

Oh, that's so early! If you find a big enough casual running group (local running store, perhaps?), I almos guarantee there will be someone your speed :) I was worried about running with a group because I always got left behind in XC in high school and college, but it's now the highlight(s) of my week!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    5.3 km this morning. For about 18km out of 50 km
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Been out of action for a bit, apparently I have kidney stones. It seems the rumours about how painful these can be are... not exaggerated, LOL. I've taken to naming mine after the moons of Mars. Deimos has since passed but the larger Phobos lurks somewhere, biding its time before it declares war. I think this month's goal will roll forward to next month instead.

Doc says I can run so I did today. I'll stay away from running deep in the mountains though.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		093.78 km
    Goal:			322 km / 200 miles (29% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Aug 16 16.87 km HR up 20bpm over normal for pace, drugs?
    Aug 15 -----   Off for health
    Aug 14 -----   Off for health
    Aug 13 14.75 km Urine colour: Amber Ale bordering on Stout. Call 911.
    Aug 12 13.70 km Up at 0530H to beat the heat
    Aug 11 -----    Life Day
    Aug 10 -----    Life Day
    Aug 09 08.09 km Gentle welcome home date-run with Sue
    Aug 08 12.27 km Great cool run along Lake Sammamish near Seattle
    Aug 07 06.04 km Short run before really loooong driving day, bye bye Montana
    Aug 06 -----    Rest Day / 10km hiking in Swan Range, Montana
    Aug 05 08.09 km Easy trail in Bigfork Montana
    Aug 04 -----    Rest Day
    Aug 03 03.35 km Quick jaunt before long driving day, bye bye Alberta
    Aug 02 -----    Cycling while visiting family
    Aug 01 10.60 km Trails both wide + single track

Great morning for a run by the river, cool enough, felt great to be out despite higher HR and the impending descent of Phobos.

• leewells2002
    leewells2002 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Aug 1- 3 miles.
    Aug 2 - 1 mile
    Aug 6 - 2 mile
    Aug 9 - 2 mile
    Aug 14 - 2 mile
    Aug 16 - 4 mile

14 miles to date... will need to up this a bit.
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    3.25 miles outside this evening. Total of 22.25 out of 40 for the month. Slow and steady.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal 60 miles

8/1 I really...
    8/2 Need to find a better source
    8/3 For my Chinese take out supply....
    8/4 Managed a 1.17 "ralk" with all 3 puppies
    8/5 3.1 on the dreadmill until the aforementioned Chinese food from hell re "reared" (pun intended)
    its ugly head.
    8/6 2.52
    8/7 5
    8/8 3.67
    8/9 3.42
    8/10 rest
    8/11 2.22
    8/12 3.36
    8/13 4.25
    8/14 "life day" ( I like that!)
    8/15 3.65
    8/16 3.77

Total 36.11

@mwyvr : ow....so sorry about your "moons." May they pass quickly.

Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1- 8.35 miles. walk
    2- 5.9
    3 rest
    4- 3.24
    5 rest
    6- 3.27
    7- busy, hot, lazy unplanned rest day
    8- 3.12 to make up for unplanned rest day.
    9- 7.13 hot. HI >90
    10-rest
    11-1, cramps
    12- 4.38
    13- rest
    14- 4.21
    15- 5.57 more cramps and foot numbness :(

46.17/70+
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 : have you had the pulses in your legs checked? Cramps and numbness would concern me about peripheral vascular disease
  • ctdebbie
    ctdebbie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join the challenge?
  • Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    6km walk (sore knee)

51/60km complete
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @ctdebbie , Its never to late. Suggest you read the info on Page 1 about tickers.
    Most important - Have Fun !!!! B)