August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Taking a rest day today, quads are sore from Sunday's run. I'm not used to going up and down "hills" LOL

YES FOR HILLS! definitely a thing!! I was surprised at what was sore/tight for me after my hill run. Disappointed I don't think I'll be get it done on this long 8 mile run- I'll be in Delaware- and it's super flat. :( sad panda face. Unless I run on the treadmill. and that's just = bleck.

@jorocka I ran Sunday where @stoshew71 runs a couple days a week so I'm sure he is laughing at my hill comment. If you run on the street it's fairly flat, but the sidewalks go up and down. Plus I started on the Greenway and went the Farrow hill. Ha ha I'm trying to get out of my running comfort zone.

Looks like lots of folks are fighting tired legs today.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Taking a rest day today, quads are sore from Sunday's run. I'm not used to going up and down "hills" LOL

YES FOR HILLS! definitely a thing!! I was surprised at what was sore/tight for me after my hill run. Disappointed I don't think I'll be get it done on this long 8 mile run- I'll be in Delaware- and it's super flat. :( sad panda face. Unless I run on the treadmill. and that's just = bleck.

@jorocka I ran Sunday where @stoshew71 runs a couple days a week so I'm sure he is laughing at my hill comment. If you run on the street it's fairly flat, but the sidewalks go up and down. Plus I started on the Greenway and went the Farrow hill. Ha ha I'm trying to get out of my running comfort zone.

I had to go 25 minutes out of my way (which seems like a lot considering how tiny NJ is) but got up early to drive to my hill run- my 1/2 is in West Virginia- so as nice as sidewalk pitch can be as a change of pace -it's not going to prepare me- so yeah- the hills gotta get worked in!!! I've been running some bridges over major roads to just to get some sort of texture in!! Totally jealous you have nice places to go do that sort of thing!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    went out fully intending to do 2 miles, put little miss on her scooter following behind me.... half a mile in and i hear her clatter to the floor. other runners and dog walkers are telling me shes fine and to keep on running. Yeah no the blood running down her leg says not ok

so we went home and shes now wrapped up on the sofa issuing orders and telling me shes never going on the scooter again, she will just run instead
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Research Park? Only hill I know there is Farrow from the side Columbia HS entrance up to Explorer.

I need to read your entire comment within context before I comment back. LOL Yes, that hill get's jennifer too. She hated it on the Rudolph Run 5K. My Tuesday Brueggers run has bigger hills. The hill leading into my apartment complex on Water Hill Rd is almost the same profile as the Cotton Row hill.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls
    8/5: 8 miles
    8/6: 6.5 miles with the Thursday crew
    8/7: 5 miles
    8/8: 3 miles
    8/9: 18 miles
    8/10: 4 miles
    8/11: REST DAY!!
    8/12: 10 miles
    8/13: 7 miles am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/14: REST DAY!!
    8/15: 6 miles with the Saturday morning group
    8/16: 14 miles
    8/17: 5 miles
    8/18: Rest

No XT for me today, as I spent an hour getting my car fixed (had to get an exhaust pipe replaced because it cracked in half, and then I got my oil change and air filter replaced too, yippee!) and then another half hour getting groceries. Now I gotta do my French homework, cook dinner, and get to bed early to do 10-12 miles in the am. Oi vey!

113.4/200

exercise.png

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Research Park? Only hill I know there is Farrow from the side Columbia HS entrance up to Explorer.

I need to read your entire comment within context before I comment back. LOL Yes, that hill get's jennifer too. She hated it on the Rudolph Run 5K. My Tuesday Brueggers run has bigger hills. The hill leading into my apartment complex on Water Hill Rd is almost the same profile as the Cotton Row hill.

aw- I have hill envy.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    For all you guys dealing with nipple chafing I saw an ingenious remedy in Runners World - Dr. Scholl's Corn Cushions!

Hey... that's probably a nicer alternative to the traditional band-aid (tm).

I've tried body glide and it seems to help somewhat. It seems they toughen up eventually.

Tough Nipples!

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Tonight under the moon while drinking a beer or two I'm going to offer almonds and blueberries to the running spirits and ask them to heal our group's hurting runners. Get well soon everyone! :smile:

Still waiting for Phobos to descend so no mountains for me yet. Short 10km run today around the Burnaby Lake trail with Kady The Wonder Dog. Nipple report (mine not hers): bearable.

exercise.png
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Month to date:		103.80 km
    Goal:			322 km / 200 miles (32% completed)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Aug 18 10.08 km Lake trail run
    Aug 17 -----    Rest Day
    Aug 16 16.87 km HR up 20bpm over normal for pace, drugs?
    Aug 15 -----    Off for health
    Aug 14 -----    Off for health
    Aug 13 14.75 km Urine colour: Amber Ale bordering on Stout. Call 911.
    Aug 12 13.70 km Up at 0530H to beat the heat
    Aug 11 -----    Life Day
    Aug 10 -----    Life Day
    Aug 09 08.09 km Gentle welcome home date-run with Sue
    Aug 08 12.27 km Great cool run along Lake Sammamish near Seattle
    Aug 07 06.04 km Short run before really loooong driving day, bye bye Montana
    Aug 06 -----    Rest Day / 10km hiking in Swan Range, Montana
    Aug 05 08.09 km Easy trail in Bigfork Montana
    Aug 04 -----    Rest Day
    Aug 03 03.35 km Quick jaunt before long driving day, bye bye Alberta
    Aug 02 -----    Cycling while visiting family
    Aug 01 10.60 km Trails both wide + single track

• Erin9607
    Erin9607 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5km

56/60km done
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Two days off! But I plead excessive Northeast Mugginess. The 'I Love Lucy' joke: Yesterday was Muggy, today is Tuggy, followed by Wuggy, Thuggy, and Fuggy.

5 Miles today!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    went out fully intending to do 2 miles, put little miss on her scooter following behind me.... half a mile in and i hear her clatter to the floor. other runners and dog walkers are telling me shes fine and to keep on running. Yeah no the blood running down her leg says not ok

so we went home and shes now wrapped up on the sofa issuing orders and telling me shes never going on the scooter again, she will just run instead

Oh no I hope she's okay.

Stoshew71 wrote: »

Yep exactly what I meant, a hill to me isn't a hill to you Stoshew71 LOL I'm used to pretty flat streets so even the sidewalks at Research Park are hilly to me.

• leewells2002
    leewells2002 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Aug 1- 3 miles
    Aug 2 - 1 miles
    Aug 6 - 2 miles
    Aug 9 - 2 miles
    Aug 14 - 2 miles
    Aug 16 - 4 miles
    Aug 18 - 2.2 miles

16.2/40 miles. Don't think I will make 40 but will aim to get as close as possible.
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It was a fairly cool evening, so got another 3 miles done outside around the neighborhood. The last quarter of a mile was rough, so may need a rest day or a short one tomorrow. That makes 28.25 out of 40 miles for the month.
    @skippygirlsmom well I made it to NC in a rather convoluted manner because of various jobs. Went to college at 'Bama, grad school at UAB, and spent some time at Emory for a postdoc. Then managed a few months in CT, and then a few years in Boston. After a few cold winters, I decided it was time to make my way back down south, via Maryland and finally to the Raleigh area. My brother lives here, so it works out well-so there are at least 4 Tide fans here if you count him and my nieces. Hopefully mom will move up this way eventually so that's at least 5 of us. Although I have run into a few others here! It's not such a bad state, even if it is ACC territory and they don't really appreciate their football the way we Alabamians do. :) Right now as long as I can stay gainfully employed I think I'll stay for a while.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Every one seems to be on a Hill Push. So I had to go out and do what we call Tower Road on Misery Mountain ( Local Ski Hill ) 7.5 km. Contemplated returning on the south slope through the "Camel Back Humps" ( every trail has a local un-official name) but recent rain made it look like a really bad ankle breaking super slide so just looped back on the same trail.
    Will have to do a post on just HILLS where we can post pictures of our best/worst nightmares.

8/1 7km 7
    8/4 5km 12
    8/6 5km 17
    8/10 6km 23
    8/11 6km 29
    8/12 5km 34
    8/16 8.5km 42.5
    8/17 5km 47.5
    8/18 7.5km 55
    The Ticker seems to be wonky right now 55km of 70 completed.

@Stoshew71 Loved your picture of your version of the Winter Frost Bite run. A great visual as to the wide variety of clothing options for people who have never ran in sub-zero temps.
    went out fully intending to do 2 miles, put little miss on her scooter .. half a mile in and I hear her clatter to the floor. the blood running down her leg says not ok---so we went home and shes now wrapped up on the sofa issuing orders and telling me shes never going on the scooter again, she will just run instead
    That your at home and not at the Hospital is the most important part of this -- all though does this mean @skippygirlsmom will have some friendly competition in the future?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1- 8.35 miles. walk
    2- 5.9
    3 rest
    4- 3.24
    5 rest
    6- 3.27
    7- busy, hot, lazy unplanned rest day
    8- 3.12 to make up for unplanned rest day.
    9- 7.13 hot. HI >90
    10-rest
    11-1, cramps
    12- 4.38
    13- rest
    14- 4.21
    15- rest
    16- 5.57
    17- 1 shake out the road trip stiffness
    18- 4.73

51.90/70+

So funny, I did some research on running form. So I toyed with running intermittently with my arms out like Frankenstein, then out like Frankenstein but together. Peoples reactions are hilarious! Then stop an do the Frankenstein kicks to loosen up the hamstrings.

Non-Running people think you have just lost your mind!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    A great run tonight. I missed out on the rain I had hoped for but it was only 66F so not bad at all.

A package had arrived for me and it was the Brooks jacket and FuelBelt hydration belt I ordered from the REI Outlet store. I decide a short run would be best to test the belt so I filled the 20 oz bottle and brought it along.

I started with a 1 mile walk, followed by a 1 mile easy run, followed by a 5K run at near race pace. I ran that final 5K in new PR time of 28:31, beating my previous PR by 2:42! I was pushing hard with a HR of 159, but my races have been with a HR of 166 to 168, so I still had more to give. This in spite of my 1 mile walk and 1 mile run just prior, and carrying 20oz of water on my waist. It's very satisfying to see that kind of payoff for my efforts and just motivates me more to keep it going.

I think the water belt will work ok. I'd rather not have one, but it's not as bad as carrying a bottle with me and now that I'm up to 2 hours of running, I need to make sure I have water. I suspect it will be like my Garmin FR 305, where it was annoying to start using it, but I got used to quick enough. Now I don't even notice it.

I'm excited about tomorrow's run. The high is only forecast to be just 61F and will be down to 58F by the time I get out.

gjo6s34esw5l.jpeg

• snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sorry, am a bit late. Just joined, but love this kind of challenge. I ran 19.7 miles in August, but plan to do 50 miles in total. I created a ticker... this is the URL http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/wvwRuW5/ I am not sure how to display that as a ticker in the body of the message.

8/3 4.02 miles
    8/5 2.56
    8/13 4.11 (got sick for a few days)
    8/15 3.77
    8/16 2.17
    8/18 3.05
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @snha If you go to page 1 of this thread and read the first post it gives a great example of how to do it.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks @juliet3455 !

exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @karllundy and @skippygirlsmom thanks - now on other antibiotics for a secondary issue that cropped up when on antibiotics last week. The dog bite seems to be the gift that keeps giving. On the plus side, these ones don't seem to be destroying my stomach as badly as my last set (yet).

Got in 8 cooler miles today as the heat wasn't as ugly, and ended up running with 2 medical professionals who seemed much more interested in my latest ailment and antibiotic dose than I was. Still, I guess I can understand why they are medical professionals as they were fascinated by one issue. Tomorrow's run is with a prominent chess player (coming off a huge tournament win), so hoping to have fewer discussions about scars, pus, and other medical problems.

8/1 - 3 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/4 - 12 miles
    8/5 - 5.5 miles
    8/6 - 8 miles (w. 8x800s @ 6:22 pace)
    8/8 - 3 miles (sprint triathlon 5k @ 7:03 pace)
    8/10 - 9.5 miles
    8/11 - 3 mile run
    8/13 - 1 mile run
    8/16 - 5 mile run
    8/17 - 7 mile run
    8/18 - 8 mile run

Total: 71 miles
    Goal: 140 miles
    Remaining: 69 miles