August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @jorocka I love the story about the poor guy out there layin' it down in the heat... You see him again tell him he's a effn bad as$!

Most people run with head phones- so unfortunately it's hard to tell people how bad a@@ they are- but if I do I'll definitely be giving him some thumbs up props or something!!!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ruqayyahsmum - so sorry you had to deal with a jerk like that. @jorocka nailed it -- I feel the same way when I see any runner of any size (besides getting runner's envy) I just feel so proud and happy for anyone running I just want to yell out something positive. But I know they might not like or hear me correctly so I don't.
    @shanaber - LOVE the picture with the ribbons!
    @shell1005 - what a great story and inspiration that lady is!
    @jorocka - awesome speed for own 5K! wtg!
    @ohhim - hope you heal soon. Your numbers are amazing even if you sit around a week!
    @patrikc333 - agreed on the mind is an amazing thing. I'm so impressed that you were miserable for all that distance and just kept on going! I have this quote taped up where I have my running gear:

'Don't limit yourself by what you think you can do. In long distance running the majority of the effort is mental, not physical. If I plan to run five miles and that is mentally what I am prepared for, that is pretty much as far as I can run. With the same conditioning, if I plan to run 26.2 miles, that is doable. I almost never run more than I am mentally prepared to run.'
    -Anne Rentz ( from A Passion for Running by Scott Ludwig)

I read it on this site many months ago and, really, it isn't much more than the little kids book with the train that says "I think I can I think I can"... but it helps me!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm done for the month or not. I was planning on a rest day tomorrow but since yesterdays run was cut short because I had to get my son to his soccer game, and today's run was cut short so I could get both boys to trap shooting practice, I may get a few more miles in tomorrow after all.

Yesterday was 55F and cloudy. The 8.5 miles started out great and I had an awesome pace, but the last 2 or 3 miles were very uncomfortable because I had to get to a bathroom. This only served to increase my pace and I ended up doing 10:36, with my last mile being 10:03. The "urge" was great motivation to move faster.

This mornings run was awful. I blame it on lack of sleep. Even though it was 63F and I kept my HR down to 131, it felt like a monumental task to keep moving. I was glad to get it over with. I thought about running more tonight, but I'm just too tired. 4.8 miles.

This leaves me at 118 miles, well over my goal of 100.

Friday was like Christmas here. I placed a large order at Sierra Trading Post for 7 long sleeved running shirts, two pair of running tights (I canNOT believe I'm going wear these, but the compression shorts I have fell SO comfortable I'm going ahead with it) and a couple of hunting jackets for the boys. I plan on returning 3 or 4 of the shirts.

Congrats to everyone who made their goal, who came close and who put out a good effort!! Thank you all for the support and encouragement you've given me. I feel like what I've done is rather monumental and so far past what I ever thought possible and give this group credit for helping me get there!

t1slkdq44ve8.jpeg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Nice job!
    Wow, I'm on my computer and can see all the pictures. MFP is rather bland on mobile.

@JoRocka Right-o! I run at a park and I try to make eye contact and wave especially to the larger folks.!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    To celebrate my first 200 mile month and a bout of decisiveness, I finally got the marathon tattoo I've wanted since last October when I ran my first one! It's 26.2 in roman numerals and it was so much less painful than I thought it would be. I'm loving it! I can't stop looking at it :)

souz5tf64da9.png
    u5oovhkqstrr.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @kristinegift I love It! glad it wasn't terribly painful! My husband isnt keen on the tattoos, not so sure i'd ever get one.... but i'm diggin' yours and thinking mmm, I bet I could totally pull of a running tat!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 9 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - 4 miles
    8/6 - 2.5 miles (hill repeats)
    8/8 - 6 miles (tempo run)
    8/9 - 3 miles
    8/12 - 4.5 miles (trail)
    8/13 - 4 miles
    8/14 - 2 miles
    8/15 - 10 miles
    8/16 - 2.6 miles (trail)
    8/19 - 3.1 miles
    8/20 - 4 miles
    8/22 - 11 miles
    8/25 - 3.1 miles (hill repeats)
    8/27 - 4 miles
    8/29 - 12 miles

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely one who likes to greet other runners, walkers and bikers though the closer you get to Minneapolis, the less likely you'll get a return greeting.

@rumijs, @aleph_0, @nettiejb, @vandinem & @unrelentingminx, way to go!
    @9voice9, unless I stop long enough for my heartrate to get back to normal, I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything by stopping now and again. When I take Kody running, I'm forced to stop so I can water him and pick up his poop. "Glazing a Trail"...love it!
    @skippygirlsmom, that is awesome!! Such a great picture of Skip too, so beautiful! Give her a high five from me!
    @shanaber, way to go Hobbes!!
    @ruqayyahsmum, I find you to be an inspiration! In spite of having to deal with the scum, you continue to keep going. You are a strong woman! and your daughter is very cute!
    @patrikc333, I didn't run marathon distance today, but I'm also having barbecue. I have 3 racks of ribs on the smoker right now.
    @JoRocka, I know exactly what you're saying about wanting to scream encouragement. It's not the ultra fit, or the multi-marathoner that give me inspiration, it's the folks who decided to make a change and are bustin' their *kitten* to improve themselves! THOSE are the folks I'm cheering for the loudest, but like you...inside. I don't' want to risk offending them by saying anything. I will give them a big friendly smile, however. Awesome 5K btw! I'd be thrilled if I could do it that fast.
    @ddmom0811, did you happen to take any pictures of your time in SF? Sounds like some scenic running! I've seen that bubble soccer. My son wants to do that for his birthday party sometime.
    @kristinegift , cool tat! Beats the 26.2 bumper sticker any day.
    @mwyvr, glad the hat is working out. I just ordered the visor version. I got a great deal, but after I placed the order I realized the size was in Spain. I wonder if I'll get the real version.

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811

what you are quoting is absolutely true

I think it is important to split the mind from the body

@ inner voice in your mind that tells you "quit, why do you bother, go home"

and the body, that can keep going for longer

the problem is that is not so easy :smiley:
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    jcpydfg9519m.jpg
    ec291nfwvc9c.jpg
    the lake where we ran today

1/8/15 - 3 miles
    3/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    4/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    6/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    7/8/15 - 2 miles
    8/8/15 - 3 miles
    10/8/15 - 1.75 miles
    11/8/15 - 1.75 miles
    13/8/15 - 1.75 miles
    14/8/15 - 1.75 miles
    16/8/15 - 3 miles
    17/8/15 - 2 miles
    19/8/15 - 1.5 miles
    20/8/15 - 1 mile
    23/8/15 - 3.5 miles
    26/8/15 - 1.75 miles
    27/8/15 - 2.7 miles
    28/8/15 - 2.65 miles
    30/8/15 - 3.1 miles

exercise.png

i had planned to run another mile and i should have but i got put off by a heckler
    now i get stuff said to me all the time, usually along the lines of look at that fatty jiggling, i own a mirror, i know at 214lb down from 387lb that theres a fair amount of movement when i run

At the lake they have those pedal carts available for hire and on the last stretch one was coming towards us. the woman was sat doing nothing while her husband did all the pedalling and the kids bounced in thier seats. she had looked me up and down, laughed and then sneered before loudly saying "this is the best way to get around the lake, i dont have time for stupid running" i shouted back at her " thats nice, i do!"

but it bothered me so much that when i reached the car park i got in instead of running a half mile up the road and back again like i had planned

This is unbelievable, truly unbelievable. Am so sorry you have to endure all of this. Jerks! I wish they do this to me because, I have to say, I would not be as nice as you are and would make them feel like *kitten* for what they say!
  • snha
    Options
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls
    8/5: 8 miles
    8/6: 6.5 miles with the Thursday crew
    8/7: 5 miles
    8/8: 3 miles
    8/9: 18 miles
    8/10: 4 miles
    8/11: REST DAY!!
    8/12: 10 miles
    8/13: 7 miles am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/14: REST DAY!!
    8/15: 6 miles with the Saturday morning group
    8/16: 14 miles
    8/17: 5 miles
    8/18: Rest
    8/19: 9.2 miles
    8/20: 8 miles am + 6.3 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/21: Rest (went shopping and got the last of the "sizing down" clothes I need for summer/fall)
    8/22: 5 miles
    8/23: 15.1 miles
    8/24: 4 miles
    8/25: XT: 14 miles stationary bike, AKA: 2 episodes of You're the Worst
    8/26: 8 miles -- Apparently I had scheduled myself a surpise cutback-ish week this week. Yay!
    8/27: 5 miles am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/28: Rest
    8/29: 6 mile
    8/30: 16 miles

Goal achieved!! Whatever I run tomorrow is just icing on the cake :)

202.4/200

exercise.png

Excellent job. Congratulations!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.
    8/9 - 9.3 miles
    8/10 - 3.5 miles of recovery - it's my birthday it's my birthday!! :sunglasses:
    8/11- 6.1 miles
    8/12 - 3.5 miles - Wed is usually my rest day but I need to be in work at OhDark30 the next two days so I ran today.
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - rest day - work got in the way for 2 days :-(
    8/15 - 6.5 miles - halfway right on schedule
    8/16 - 8.6 miles - longest run ever for Skip - so proud of her
    8/17 - 3.5 miles of leisurely run in the rain
    8/18 - rest day
    8/19 - 6.4 miles legs still sore and they talked to me the whole run - they weren't cursing so I kept going :smiley:
    8/20 - 5.1 miles
    8/21 - 3.5 miles - overslept a bit so I knew I couldn't do the 4.5 I wanted ended up with a 10:15 pace, felt great.
    8/22 - 6.5 miles
    8/23 - 3.5 miles legs so heavy ugh for the second day
    8/24 - rest day
    8/25 - 6.2 miles - couldn't be any nicer 60F low humidity, I was actually chilly the first 3 miles. Just an awesome run! Decided to run a true 10K my time was 1:04.17 I was very happy.
    8/26 - 5.5 miles - another fantastic morning, put the long sleeves on today. Skip's first meet is Saturday she can't wait to run it in this weather.
    8/27 - 3.5 miles
    8/28 - 6.1 miles
    8/29 - rest day
    8/30 - 7.3 miles - GOAL!!!! started out running in some light rain - then it stopped and the humidity became insane. I see a really nice guy when I run the Greenway every weekend, I learned today he has run a marathon in every state. Impressive!

126 miles of 120

exercise.png

Skip said thank you all for the congrats, she's still walking on cloud nine. She didn't run with me today, she went to a party last night and was too tired to get up. Ah the life of a teenager. Had to get Skip some new inserts for her running shoes so off to Fleet Feet we went. Decided I needed a new pair of kicks, got about 450 miles on my "old" pair. Brooks Glycerin 13s :smiley:

ron8ndck8fp4.jpg
  • snha
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    i had planned to run another mile and i should have but i got put off by a heckler
    now i get stuff said to me all the time, usually along the lines of look at that fatty jiggling, i own a mirror, i know at 214lb down from 387lb that theres a fair amount of movement when i run

At the lake they have those pedal carts available for hire and on the last stretch one was coming towards us. the woman was sat doing nothing while her husband did all the pedalling and the kids bounced in thier seats. she had looked me up and down, laughed and then sneered before loudly saying "this is the best way to get around the lake, i dont have time for stupid running" i shouted back at her " thats nice, i do!"

but it bothered me so much that when i reached the car park i got in instead of running a half mile up the road and back again like i had planned

oh mai- that's awful!!! so sorry to hear that- I wish you could have finished!!!

it's funny I was driving yesterday and it was about 11:30 and MISERABLY hot (BF and I kept saying NO WAY IT"S ONLY 79*- it was just so unbearably hot and humid) anyway- this young man came literally slogging by my car while I was at a light. He was barely running- he must have been in his late teens- early twenties- over weight and just really grinding. And I seriously wanted to roll down the window and say F**K YES!!! My heart was bursting for him- because it was hot and miserably and he was out there effing doing it. (no way you'd catch my sorry butt out there at noon!!!)

But I know from here- some people really don't appreciate that type of encouragement so I kept my mouth shut-I'm a runner who says morning to everyone I pass whose out so this is hard for me... but I just wish every runner out there who struggled with the idea that someone was judging them knew there are runners everywhere who are silently cheering you on- GO GO GO KILL IT!! SO PROUD OF YOU. I do it for every runner I see- and I do it for anyone whose running in the mid day sun or the biting cold or driving rain.

Seriously- I just want to scream GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KILL IT!! but I can't. So any time you think someone is heckling you- remember there are silent runners (or sometimes not silent) cheering you on from the distance. You're making people proud all over.

^^ This.
  • snha
    Options
    To celebrate my first 200 mile month and a bout of decisiveness, I finally got the marathon tattoo I've wanted since last October when I ran my first one! It's 26.2 in roman numerals and it was so much less painful than I thought it would be. I'm loving it! I can't stop looking at it :)

souz5tf64da9.png
    u5oovhkqstrr.png

Awesome!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7

1 rack of ribs, 2 chicken kebabs, 3 beef kebabs, polenta, roasted potatoes, 2 prawns kebabs and 5 mini pollock fillets

white and milk chocolate mousse

2060 cal :smiley::star: (just for dinner :innocent: )

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Congrats to everyone who made goal and to everyone close, it was another hot month.

@7lenny7 yeah new running clothes!
    @kristinegift love love love the tat! I have a few and the pain has never bothered me. The one on my back took well over 3 hours to do so I was more tired than sore.
    @ruqayyahsmum why can't people keep their stupid comments to themselves. What happened to if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything. Love the pictures. Insanely great weight loss!
    @jorocka love the look on your face, super time in the 5K. You'd love to run with Skip, she is always "great pace" "nice run" "woohoo you're doing great" thumbs up, waves she's the public relations director of running. I like nothing better than a thumbs up or a "great job" when I'm running.
    @9voice9 Super 5K. We have a Krispy Kreme dount run here, I can't imagine doing that. I'm a person that runs when I run, I never stop to take pictures or anything else. But I also don't take my phone and I run before work and the streets in my neighborhood are very nice but not photo worthy. Though there was a big turtle scrolling across the Greenway today. Congrats on the toenail loss LOL I have one that is black since June.
    @ddmom0811 Sounds like the run across Golden Gate was awesome. I love SF, been there a few times. You had a great mileage month.
    @shanaber I just love Hobbs and his ribbons, he's so proud.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I love those new shoes! So pink, so bright! Just my kind of shoe! ;)
    @7lenny7, @snha, Thanks! I'm glad people like it (and that I didn't make a typo on the tat!).
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @kristinegift I love It! glad it wasn't terribly painful! My husband isnt keen on the tattoos, not so sure i'd ever get one.... but i'm diggin' yours and thinking mmm, I bet I could totally pull of a running tat!

You totally could! But might require some husband persuasion ;)
    @kristinegift love love love the tat! I have a few and the pain has never bothered me. The one on my back took well over 3 hours to do so I was more tired than sore.

Oh my gosh, that's such a long time! Mine took about 10 minutes and I was like, Not bad but to do this for hours? Whole different story! I'm finding that so many other runners here have tats and I want to see all of them!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom love the shoes! Loved the pic of skip! She's just so cute!

My new pair20150830_172921_zps0zjo76wy_edit_1440973881280_zpshdxzni5h.jpg
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Okay I lied. I realized that today is the last day I can get up to run at a normal hour (5:30). As starting tomorrow I have to get up an hour earlier (430) if I'mi planning to run. So, I ran a 5k. I went out intending to run a 5k, after the first k debated doing a shorter loop and then convinced myself to continue on for the full 5k length.

70/50km for august. Hoping for 100km in September as half-marathon training starts. Half marathon on December 6.
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @kristinegift it was a long time, we took a break so I could get something to eat for about 10 mins because I started to feel faint. The one on my ankle took about 30 mins and that was a breeze compared to the first. On my back I have a hobo clown and my ankle is a combination of roses and hearts braided around my ankle with Dad written on the outside. I love bright shoes too, don't always get them but love them.
    @elise4270 our shoes look so much alike