August 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hooray for puppies, who force you to run when you don't want to :)
    (was trying for a nice walk, but nope)
    exercise.pngI'll sign up for 40 next month....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @ruqayyahsmum Sorry about the heckler. All I can say is...

0742d088a513b9119ab1ac78f1f236d6.jpg
    keep-running-and-prove-them-wrong.png

@JoRocka I try and say hi to everyone I run by as well.

Nice tat @kristinegift

@Elise4270 Regarding your HM question. Just remember the basic rules for adding miles...
    It's safer to add no more than 10% of your last week miles onto the new week. So If you ran say 30 miles this week, add no more than 3 miles. if you ran 20 miles, add no more than 2 miles. Your long run should be no more than 25-33% of your total weekly miles. So If you ran a total of 30 miles this week, your long run should be in the range of say 7.5-10 miles. Also, consider a week where you step back on your miles every 3 to 4 weeks as you are increasing. And most of your miles should be in the easy pace while you are increasing. if you follow all of that, then it doesn't matter how you add on the miles.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.
    8/9 - 9.3 miles
    8/10 - 3.5 miles of recovery - it's my birthday it's my birthday!! :sunglasses:
    8/11- 6.1 miles
    8/12 - 3.5 miles - Wed is usually my rest day but I need to be in work at OhDark30 the next two days so I ran today.
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - rest day - work got in the way for 2 days :-(
    8/15 - 6.5 miles - halfway right on schedule
    8/16 - 8.6 miles - longest run ever for Skip - so proud of her
    8/17 - 3.5 miles of leisurely run in the rain
    8/18 - rest day
    8/19 - 6.4 miles legs still sore and they talked to me the whole run - they weren't cursing so I kept going :smiley:
    8/20 - 5.1 miles
    8/21 - 3.5 miles - overslept a bit so I knew I couldn't do the 4.5 I wanted ended up with a 10:15 pace, felt great.
    8/22 - 6.5 miles
    8/23 - 3.5 miles legs so heavy ugh for the second day
    8/24 - rest day
    8/25 - 6.2 miles - couldn't be any nicer 60F low humidity, I was actually chilly the first 3 miles. Just an awesome run! Decided to run a true 10K my time was 1:04.17 I was very happy.
    8/26 - 5.5 miles - another fantastic morning, put the long sleeves on today. Skip's first meet is Saturday she can't wait to run it in this weather.
    8/27 - 3.5 miles
    8/28 - 6.1 miles
    8/29 - rest day
    8/30 - 7.3 miles - GOAL!!!! started out running in some light rain - then it stopped and the humidity became insane. I see a really nice guy when I run the Greenway every weekend, I learned today he has run a marathon in every state. Impressive!
    8/31 - 4.4 miles

130.4 miles of 120

exercise.png
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    8/1: 5 miles
    8/2: 11.5 miles
    8/3: 4 miles
    8/4: XT day: 42 min bike (12 miles) and 35 min walk (2 miles), AKA: 2 episodes of Gilmore Girls
    8/5: 8 miles
    8/6: 6.5 miles with the Thursday crew
    8/7: 5 miles
    8/8: 3 miles
    8/9: 18 miles
    8/10: 4 miles
    8/11: REST DAY!!
    8/12: 10 miles
    8/13: 7 miles am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/14: REST DAY!!
    8/15: 6 miles with the Saturday morning group
    8/16: 14 miles
    8/17: 5 miles
    8/18: Rest
    8/19: 9.2 miles
    8/20: 8 miles am + 6.3 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/21: Rest (went shopping and got the last of the "sizing down" clothes I need for summer/fall)
    8/22: 5 miles
    8/23: 15.1 miles
    8/24: 4 miles
    8/25: XT: 14 miles stationary bike, AKA: 2 episodes of You're the Worst
    8/26: 8 miles -- Apparently I had scheduled myself a surpise cutback-ish week this week. Yay!
    8/27: 5 miles am, 6.4 miles pm with Thursday crew
    8/28: Rest
    8/29: 6 mile
    8/30: 16 miles

Goal achieved!! Whatever I run tomorrow is just icing on the cake :)

202.4/200

exercise.png

Mmmm caake...

Way to rock it!

cake? who has cake!

• ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    8/1 - 10 miles
    8/2 - 3.2 miles
    8/3 - 5.5 miles 1st day of school here, can't believe my baby is a Sophomore!
    8/4 - 3.2 miles
    8/5 - rest day
    8/6 - 1.8 miles ending up not getting back out last night - had to bring work home with me and worked until 9:30
    8/7 - 4.4 miles in the fog :tongue: 5K Run to the Rescue with Skip and some of her teammates tomorrow.
    8/8 - 3.1 Run to the Rescue 5K today. Skip and I ran, it was trail for almost 2 miles (I've never run off the road) then onto the road, then onto parking lot gravel (ugh) then back to and finish on grass. We don't have official times, I was I did a 9:43 pace just over 30 min so not near a PR, Skip said she was about 23:49 not near her PR either. I thought it was a tough course, a few hills. The trail was hard for me very rooty and uneven, but it was a lot of fun. I finished 3rd in my AG and she finished 1st in her AG.
    8/9 - 9.3 miles
    8/10 - 3.5 miles of recovery - it's my birthday it's my birthday!! :sunglasses:
    8/11- 6.1 miles
    8/12 - 3.5 miles - Wed is usually my rest day but I need to be in work at OhDark30 the next two days so I ran today.
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - rest day - work got in the way for 2 days :-(
    8/15 - 6.5 miles - halfway right on schedule
    8/16 - 8.6 miles - longest run ever for Skip - so proud of her
    8/17 - 3.5 miles of leisurely run in the rain
    8/18 - rest day
    8/19 - 6.4 miles legs still sore and they talked to me the whole run - they weren't cursing so I kept going :smiley:
    8/20 - 5.1 miles
    8/21 - 3.5 miles - overslept a bit so I knew I couldn't do the 4.5 I wanted ended up with a 10:15 pace, felt great.
    8/22 - 6.5 miles
    8/23 - 3.5 miles legs so heavy ugh for the second day
    8/24 - rest day
    8/25 - 6.2 miles - couldn't be any nicer 60F low humidity, I was actually chilly the first 3 miles. Just an awesome run! Decided to run a true 10K my time was 1:04.17 I was very happy.
    8/26 - 5.5 miles - another fantastic morning, put the long sleeves on today. Skip's first meet is Saturday she can't wait to run it in this weather.
    8/27 - 3.5 miles
    8/28 - 6.1 miles
    8/29 - rest day
    8/30 - 7.3 miles - GOAL!!!! started out running in some light rain - then it stopped and the humidity became insane. I see a really nice guy when I run the Greenway every weekend, I learned today he has run a marathon in every state. Impressive!

126 miles of 120

exercise.png

Skip said thank you all for the congrats, she's still walking on cloud nine. She didn't run with me today, she went to a party last night and was too tired to get up. Ah the life of a teenager. Had to get Skip some new inserts for her running shoes so off to Fleet Feet we went. Decided I needed a new pair of kicks, got about 450 miles on my "old" pair. Brooks Glycerin 13s :smiley:

ron8ndck8fp4.jpg

oh pretty shoes!

i saw a write up for these in a runners magazine i was reading this morning

• ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    thanks everyone for the nice comments, im glad to see so many nice runners who make a difference for others in their hometowns

i had planned to go today and run the extra i didnt get done yesterday but its been peeing it down all morning here, the roads have their own rivers. wont get it in this afternoon either since the filters for the fish tanks need cleaning so my august miles sit at 40, i shall aim for a few extra in september :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I seriously cannot believe it's the end of August already!!! Congrats to everyone for hanging in there! Very impressed with everyone's stuff. <pats us on the back> we rock. LOL :D
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

8/1 3.2 @ 10:55 (race)
    8/2 5.0 @ 20:00 (hiking)
    8/3 4.5 @ 18:00 (walk with kids and dog)
    8/4 4.0 @ 11:30 (treadmill) and strength training
    8/5 Amusement Park Day
    8/6 3.0 @ 12:00 and strength training
    8/7 Aquarium Day

8/8 4.0 @ 15:00 (my first technical trail)
    8/9 5.0 @ 12:00 on my normal trail--felt a little sluggish
    8/10 4.5 @ 12:00 on a new trail near my house
    8/11 3.5 @ 11:00 on the treadmill, laughing like an insane person, and strength training
    8/12 Rest Day. Yuck.
    8/13 7.5 @ 12:56 (the first 10K were at about 12:15; I walked the last mile and a quarter with a terrible stitch in my side)
    8/14 3.25 @ 11:04 on the treadmill and strength training

8/15 5.0 @ 11:48 road/flat trail combo
    8/16 Rest Day
    8/17 4.0 @ 12:47--I got out late and it was really hot. I also got "lost" a couple times, exploring a new section of trail.
    8/18 4.25 @ 11:17 on the treadmill and strength training
    8/19 7.5 @ 12:42 --it was drippy muggy but at least overcast, so not *too* hot. I'll take it!
    8/20 2.25 @ 12:45 (last quarter was really slow, just walking) short recovery run in 100% humidity
    8/21 3.5 @ 11:35 on the treadmill, and strength training

8/22 Travel day
    8/23 Rest day
    8/24 2.5 @ 12:43--my first beach run. I do not like sand in my running shoes! The beach itself isn't bad, but the dunes...sandy sandy sandy and all in my toes.
    8/25 3.25 @ 11:59 boring sidewalk run, but no sand :)
    8/26 4.0 walk
    8/27 3.5 @ 12:11 and 1 hour of kayaking...that was FUN!
    8/28 Rest Day

8/29 Travel Day
    8/30 7.0 @ 12:08 on the treadmill. It felt good to have a nice long run after so much junk food this week!
    8/31 3.5 @ 11:38 on the treadmill. I wanted to go further, but my hip flexor hurt, so I stopped and did a nice long stretch instead.

94.25/100
    I didn't make goal, but pretty close, so I'm happy.

@mwyvr That looks like an amazing place to run!

@kristinegift Your tattoo is awesome! I want to brave enough to get one, but I haven't found the design that will overcome my fear of the pain, yet!

@jtarmom Going to Disney is like a marathon! Ok...a marathon where you stop every 20 minutes for a Dole Whip, and then wait in line for an hour, but a marathon none-the-less!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Heres an interesting article on injurys... This has been true in my running...

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-injury-recovery/using-neuroscience-to-avoid-injuries

@Stoshew71 thanks for the input!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @5beautifuldays - the Dole Whip Marathon LOL
    @mwyvr - sounds like you and Kady had a great run!
    @mrskgrady - super picture!
    @karllundy - I wore the new shoes this morning, nice! Skip says thanks! She has been working hard.

So I have to tell you about my run this morning. It's 5:30 am and dark, I see a couple just ahead of me, dressed in all dark colors walking with a stroller (which was dark too) - I could hardly see them. I moved to the middle of the street and as I pass I say "good morning" and the they do a quick hi, as I continue the woman says "skinny *kitten*". I'm like WHAT? So I stop and I said "excuse me did you just call me a *kitten*". I assume she though I couldn't hear it but it's mighty quiet at 5:30 in the morning. Before she had a chance to reply I said "first I may be skinny, but I'm not a *kitten*. You on the other hand are a *kitten*" and I turned and ran off. When I passed them again face to face I handed the husband my flashing light that I wear on my shorts and said I don't care if the *kitten* gets hit by a car, but do something to protect your child.

Remember now I run in my OWN neighborhood. I never saw these people before and will be happy if I never see them again.
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    38.34 mi/30 month. This was my third straight month of running, the most I've done since I graduated high school 3 years ago. I haven't felt this proud of myself in a long time!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    "So I have to tell you about my run this morning. It's 5:30 am and dark, I see a couple just ahead of me, dressed in all dark colors walking with a stroller (which was dark too) - I could hardly see them. I moved to the middle of the street and as I pass I say "good morning" and the they do a quick hi, as I continue the woman says "skinny *kitten*". I'm like WHAT? So I stop and I said "excuse me did you just call me a *kitten*". I assume she though I couldn't hear it but it's mighty quiet at 5:30 in the morning. Before she had a chance to reply I said "first I may be skinny, but I'm not a *kitten*. You on the other hand are a *kitten*" and I turned and ran off. When I passed them again face to face I handed the husband my flashing light that I wear on my shorts and said I don't care if the *kitten* gets hit by a car, but do something to protect your child.

wOw! just...wow!
    Way to go! And to give them your flashing light? Icing on the cake!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @karllundy - I wore the new shoes this morning, nice! Skip says thanks! She has been working hard.

So I have to tell you about my run this morning. It's 5:30 am and dark, I see a couple just ahead of me, dressed in all dark colors walking with a stroller (which was dark too) - I could hardly see them. I moved to the middle of the street and as I pass I say "good morning" and the they do a quick hi, as I continue the woman says "skinny *kitten*". I'm like WHAT? So I stop and I said "excuse me did you just call me a *kitten*". I assume she though I couldn't hear it but it's mighty quiet at 5:30 in the morning. Before she had a chance to reply I said "first I may be skinny, but I'm not a *kitten*. You on the other hand are a *kitten*" and I turned and ran off. When I passed them again face to face I handed the husband my flashing light that I wear on my shorts and said I don't care if the *kitten* gets hit by a car, but do something to protect your child.

Remember now I run in my OWN neighborhood. I never saw these people before and will be happy if I never see them again.

wtf are you serious? good for you for speaking up!!?! crazy.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Getting a little Jersey are we?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options

wow what a nasty piece of work!

how can greeting someone make you a *kitten*? and your weight is none of her concern, if she dislikes her own weight so much she has to be mean about yours then shes free to work on hers

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    When I passed them again face to face I handed the husband my flashing light that I wear on my shorts and said I don't care if the *kitten* gets hit by a car, but do something to protect your child.

Brilliantly executed! I always wonder what makes people think this sort of comment is OK.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    thanks guys

fast 10k today, and quite a good time, yesterday effort was not a problem today

so 562 km for August, my best ever

not sure if I'll be able to do the same for september, and to be honest this makes me a bit uncomfortable, as I'd like to keep beating my records

it'll be dark, wet and cold soon :disappointed:

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Horrible way to start your day!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    I was shocked! I truly can be a *kitten* but today wasn't the day. LOL Stan I definitely went Jersey!