Extremely low metabolism

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I agree you might want to check your thyroid. When mine was low it definitely slowed my metabolism down. Even my body temperature stayed low and rarely exceeded 97F - very slow.

My temp is around that. When I had a temp of 99.5 this spring with flu, I was very sick. I'm always cold (except in the real heat of summer) and my hands now turn blue or numb in air-conditioned rooms. I had bloodwork with thyroid done in Jan., though, and I tested normal.

This is me as well. While I thought I had a slow metabolism for people my size, it turns out that I just wasn't moving really at all (my fitbit told me that). I like food, and I'm much more likely to stick to my calorie goal if I can eat a decent amount of food, so I try to get moving. A lot. When it's not the middle of summer and exceedingly hot out, I walk a mile to and from work, I go for a 2 mile walk at lunch, plus I get to the gym for lifting and cardio. Even the simple walks allow me so much more food, and it doesn't really feel like exercise. Cardio definitely feels like a workout, but again, I can eat so much more than if I just sat on the couch.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Do you have any medical conditions or have you gone through menopause? If yes, then it's possible you will have to play around with your macronutrients (essentially, less carbs more fats/protein).

Statistically speaking, most people do not have a slow metabolism and generally the biggest problem with weight loss is consistently and accurately tracking calories. Doing a quick look at your diary, you could probably work a little on both. I saw some more generic entries (eggs, bacon, banana <--- this one especially because the average banana I eat is "medium" and it has about 110-120 calories and yours was 60 calories). So my question is, do you weigh you foods with a food scale? Unfortunately, with very little to lose, these small inaccuracies can cause you to hit maintenance instead of a deficit. And having only a few lbs to lose, you have very little room for error.

Actually, I do weigh everything on a food scale. By the way, the 60 calorie banana was only half a banana. I shared with my son at breakfast. I am aware of how little room I have for error. The metabolism concern is because of what I'm seeing on the fitbit, which by the way, I have sync'd to MFP. I also don't eat what the fitbit shows, but the MFP adjustment, although I admit that I often go over because it's hard to stay under 1200 calories.

Regarding heartrate, I think it's pretty accurate. The days I kickbox, it does get up to around 135, which is what would be 80% for someone of my age. I must admit it takes a lot, though, to get my heartrate going. A walk up a hill might get it to 100. By the way, I also have low blood pressure (110/60 is normal, but it can be as low as 90/40). I wonder if it's because I have been someone who is moderately active on a daily basis (I've done the 10,000 step thing for years), so maybe my rate doesn't go to high levels that a "couch potato" would.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Every older woman I've ever heard discussing weight loss discussed how much harder it is after menopause and many if them discuss the weight redistribution.

One of the many joys of aging. They were right. It really isn't for wusses! :)
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned above "reverse dieting" could possibly work for you. If you have been in a calorie deficit for a couple months or extended periods of time, your metabolism has slowed down to adjust to the new energy intake. Our bodies metabolism is very adaptive, and tries to maintane itself once. Can try reverse dieting to get it back to a " normal" level for someone of your stats. Only other way is to cut even more calories or increase exercise output ie more cardio/ calories burned.
    We just dont want to get below our BMR in calories for any length of time.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Every older woman I've ever heard discussing weight loss discussed how much harder it is after menopause and many if them discuss the weight redistribution.

MFP has a menopause group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you are weighing everything why are you logging everything in cups, tablespoons, pieces instead of the actual weight of the item? This makes no sense to me. If you are weighing it, why not log the weight?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be insensitive here but your choices are:
    • suck it up or
    • do more exercise

It's pretty unfair but given your height, age and current weight your TDEE (rather than metabolism) is going to be low. That's just the way it is given your have less mass to move around than most people.

I suggest making peace with your situation.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

One of the many joys of aging. They were right. It really isn't for wusses! :)

I keep hearing this also. I am 62 and honestly...I don't find it that difficult to lose weight.

After reading your post...and this thread...I did a little experiment. I use my current stats and plugged in each decade starting 20 y/o up to 70 years of age. While maintenance calories did decline it was at a much smaller decrease than I expected.

Female...5'6"...190lbs...Lightly Active

Age 20...2267 cals
    Age 30...2198
    Age 40...2129
    Age 50...2061
    Age 60...1992
    Age 70...1923

I found it interesting that from age 20 to 70 it only decreased 344 calories. While that seems a lot it is a relatively small decline over the course of 50 years.

In my opinion only...we more advanced citizens really shouldn't have that much more difficulty losing weight...maybe just a small bit slower.

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think a check on your thyroid is in order.
    Then monitor your sleep...if you are not averaging over 7 hours a night then you aren't giving your cells a chance to repair themselves. I am constantly amazed the effect rest has on my weight and everything else.

I would not necessarily classify what you are reporting as a slow metabolism based on your weight, moderate to light activity (10k steps is moderate) and you have been restricting for a while.

If you have been on low carb....there is some opinion that it can be stressful over the long haul. (As evidenced by all the threads on plateaus)
  • rosebette
    Options
    If you are weighing everything why are you logging everything in cups, tablespoons, pieces instead of the actual weight of the item? This makes no sense to me. If you are weighing it, why not log the weight?

I weigh meats, but use cups for things like yogurt, rice, etc.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Then monitor your sleep...if you are not averaging over 7 hours a night then you aren't giving your cells a chance to repair themselves. I am constantly amazed the effect rest has on my weight and everything else.

I would not necessarily classify what you are reporting as a slow metabolism based on your weight, moderate to light activity (10k steps is moderate) and you have been restricting for a while.

If you have been on low carb....there is some opinion that it can be stressful over the long haul. (As evidenced by all the threads on plateaus)

Actually, the sleep comment could be relative. I usually get between 5 and 6 hours. I hate going to bed, but my body clock gets me up around 6:00 AM or so (because in fall I teach a very early class). I have to admit that not going to bed at a decent hour is my most unhealthy habit. I know I should go to bed at 10, but for me, it's as if the evening is just beginning. Also, at one of the places I work, I serve as student writing advisor, and I have students who will send me papers at night, so I'll review them, even if it's after 10 PM.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options

Actually, the sleep comment could be relative. I usually get between 5 and 6 hours. I hate going to bed, but my body clock gets me up around 6:00 AM or so (because in fall I teach a very early class). I have to admit that not going to bed at a decent hour is my most unhealthy habit. I know I should go to bed at 10, but for me, it's as if the evening is just beginning. Also, at one of the places I work, I serve as student writing advisor, and I have students who will send me papers at night, so I'll review them, even if it's after 10 PM.

I have to force myself away from the computer at night. It's a discipline, like flossing nightly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There's not much of a change in metabolism and aging as people once believed. This is largely due to decreased muscle mass, but even then to a very small degree.

As far as hormones, this is a terminal cascade and hormone regulation will be much more difficult or in many cases impossible if you are overweight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I had my metabolism analyzed by one of those machines, I forget what they're called... you sit at rest before you've eaten anything for the day and it analyzes your exhalations for a period of time, and gives you a number. Have you had this done yet? I recommend it so that you can be sure about your metabolism. Mine is "average" for my height and age, but as I'm short and 46, you can imagine I don't get many calories to work with! My BMR is barely over 1200 cals! Lifting weights and building muscle is the only way I know to permanently improve how many calories you burn all day every day. So try lifting heavy 2 or 3 times a week, and also do cardio to burn some extra cals daily.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

It's pretty unfair but given your height, age and current weight your TDEE (rather than metabolism) is going to be low.

I agree. It's not that your actual burn seems to be lower than what Fitbit is reporting, it's that the Fitbit calorie burn itself (which uses a estimation formula incorporating age, sex, height and weight) is just a depressingly low number.
    I'm 47, 5'7" and 122 lbs. Between my Fitbit and MFP logging, I've determined that I am completely average. My sedentary maintenance calorie needs are 1530 calories. If I bought into the "average woman needs 2000 calories" rule of thumb, I would gain a pound a week. The only thing I can do to be able to eat more is be more active.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You don't need to lose any weight as it is, I'm only 1/2" taller, I'm slim at 132lbs at 46yrs I'm extremely active. If I weren't my TDEE would also be low. I keep very active so I have a high TDEE, 10000 steps although you may feel thats doing well its not enough to let you eat a bit more unfortunately. I like to eat 2100 cals a day now in maintenance - to be able to eat that I have to do 17000 steps + / I average 20k as I am naturally active.

The simple fact is to eat more we must move more. If you're ok with your current activity I would say you could maintain on around 1600-1800 calories.

• rosebette
    edited July 2015
    Options
    According to the fitbit charge HR's numbers, I would gain on 1600-1800 calories a day. Fibit Charge HR is basing the calorie burn on my heartrate throughout the day, age, weight, and height. If I'm using only 1300-1500 by the end of a moderately active day, eating more than that would start packing on the pounds. I don't expect to get to eat 2000 calories a day, of course -- that's too much food, more of a "cheat" day. But to be able to eat 1600 a day without worrying would be nice.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    According to the fitbit charge HR's numbers, I would gain on 1600-1800 calories a day. Fibit Charge HR is basing the calorie burn on my heartrate throughout the day, age, weight, and height. If I'm using only 1300-1500 by the end of a moderately active day, eating more than that would start packing on the pounds. I don't expect to get to eat 2000 calories a day, of course -- that's too much food, more of a "cheat" day. But to be able to eat 1600 a day without worrying would be nice.

You could, theoretically, you'd just have to add in a calorie burn of 300 to do it.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Which is easier said than done -- it would mean a kickboxing type workout every day. I'm not a wimp, but I'm not a youngster, either.