Extremely low metabolism

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1348 is awfully low. I usually finish my day at 2,300 TDEE according to fitbit
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    OP decided she has "an extremely slow metabolism," when in fact she's been underestimating her food.

The Fitbit is a red herring. You can't judge the accuracy of your Fitbit burn unless you log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Agreed. I found my fitbit to be highly accurate. I does overestimate steps (I've hit 10,000 steps while driving before), but there are ways to compensate for this. I choose not to because it also underestimates my activity while weight lifting.

I very carefully tracked food and weight loss for one month, and then compared the actual weight loss to what was expected based on average deficit for that month. The fitbit was spot on.

That's what they're saying. You are carefully tracking your food. The OP was not. That is why the fitbit is not accurate. It's not because it is wrong, but because she is giving it the wrong calories in.

Which was why I typed "agreed"?

Wow. I can't read. Sorry! Carry on!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    The point is that I'm not questioning why I'm not losing. I'm questioning whether the number on the fitbit shows a lower metabolism than would be expected for a woman of my age, size, and activity level or whether it's within the normal range. For instance, my fitbit today said my total burn for the day is 1348. This was my at-campus day, so walking all over dragging the roller bag, including up stairs, plus the 30 minute walk (about 1.5 miles). 1348 is not a lot of calories. I have to eat less than that to lose, probably around 1000. It's not unreasonable that it's hard to achieve that deficit with inaccurate logging. That's not what I'm questioning. The question is whether that 1348 is "normal" or whether there is a problem. Some folks on this thread seem to think it's normal, others are offering some helpful suggestions about logging, and some are veering into the judgmental "it' your fault for not logging everything and weighing everything." I can log all I want, it's not going to change the 1348 TDEE, or the 1136 BMR I saw when I had my metabolism checked during a fitness eval at my gym last fall.

Every person is different. Nearly every person I've talked to says their Fitbit is pretty accurate for TDEE calculations, and so far I'm finding the same is true for mine. From what you're saying based on your previous BMR calculations, and what you've experienced eating based on Fitbit calculations, with weight fluctuations, yours seems to be fairly accurate.
    I'm not sure if this would be normal for a woman your age or not. Honestly, at this point, I'd say your weight is pretty good for your height and age, and if you have other questions about your metabolism and any other possibilities, you should consult your doctor.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're on the shorter side, already pretty thin, and not super active. My semi-educated guess is that 1348 is normal for you.

I think your best bet is to increase your activity. I know you say you walk around campus and you do some exercise now and again, but it doesn't sound like a lot of activity overall. If you can increase it, you can eat more and lose weight.

I know when I started to increase my activity, I was really tired at first. But the more I increased it, the more my body got used to it. Your body adapts and you'll be able to handle much more as you keep increasing. Not saying you have to work out hours on end, but try walking as much as you can to get as many steps in as possible.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That's what they're saying. You are carefully tracking your food. The OP was not. That is why the fitbit is not accurate. It's not because it is wrong, but because she is giving it the wrong calories in.

The user doesn't "give" the fitbit the wrong calories. The fitbit counts the calories burned, and you're supposed to eat less than that to lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

The user doesn't "give" the fitbit the wrong calories. The fitbit counts the calories burned, and you're supposed to eat less than that to lose weight.

I think that's what she might have meant. Just not worded the right way..

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I think that's what she might have meant. Just not worded the right way..

Yeah. That's what I meant. Sometimes the words in my head won't make it to the keyboard. I usually just opt to not say anything at all. :(
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on weighing semi-solids and such in grams. I had peanut butter today and had always assumed I was eating only 1 TB because I'm not one of those folks to slather it on, but my serving was 32 g, which is more like 2 TB. While I only eat peanut butter about once a week, it is 100 calorie difference. A 100 calorie difference every day is significant for someone my size. On the other hand, I am already eating what I find to be disappointingly small amounts of food (I'm starving in the mornings because I'm already not eating much), so to cut even further is rather saddening.

So Friday last week, when does 56 grams = 3 ounces? 56 grams equals 1.97 ounces; and how do you weigh meat but list bacon as a slice? And last, 28 walnuts?!? I almost went out and bought a bag to actually weigh this; if 100 calories is a lot, imagine how surprised you'll be when you realize your maintenance is between 1500 and 1600 calories.

Maybe take the fitbit and just table it for 6 weeks and tighten up your diary. A friend today reminded me when washing their hair the fitbit counted the motion as steps.
  • rosebette
    edited August 2015
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote:
    So Friday last week, when does 56 grams = 3 ounces? 56 grams equals 1.97 ounces; and how do you weigh meat but list bacon as a slice? And last, 28 walnuts?!? I almost went out and bought a bag to actually weigh this; if 100 calories is a lot, imagine how surprised you'll be when you realize your maintenance is between 1500 and 1600 calories.

Maybe take the fitbit and just table it for 6 weeks and tighten up your diary. A friend today reminded me when washing their hair the fitbit counted the motion as steps.

Are you looking at my diary? Because I didn't eat any walnuts last Friday or the Friday before. Also, I use packaged bacon (Oscar Meyer, hormel, whatever), and the package and MFP says 80 calories for 2 slices. There are the same number of slices in every package. Am I not supposed to trust what the package or what MFP says?

In any case, the question isn't about tracking, it's about metabolic rate. If what you're saying is true, then the fitbit estimate of 1348 is an overestimate, and I'm burning even less than that. (I've never worn a fitbit in the shower, but I've also never seen it log steps when I'm driving or even when I'm on a stationary bike.) It's not like I'm saying, the fibit says I burn 1348 and I'm eating less than that and not losing. That's not the question. I'm asking, the fibit says I burn only 1348 -- is that a low metabolism for someone with my stats?

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Which Fitbit do you have? I noticed that you said that you are pulling around a rolling bag and I'm wondering if maybe that is causing any inaccuracy if you are pulling it with the same arm you are wearing your Fitbit on (if it's a wristband one).
  • rosebette
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Which Fitbit do you have? I noticed that you said that you are pulling around a rolling bag and I'm wondering if maybe that is causing any inaccuracy if you are pulling it with the same arm you are wearing your Fitbit on (if it's a wristband one).

I'm using the Charge HR, so it's measuring my heartrate as I do activities, not just steps. I wear it on my left arm, but I pull the bag with my right because my left shoulder is recovering from an injury, the same injury that's set back my lifting program for about 6 months.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm just echoing what everyone else has said: I think your FitBit burn sounds pretty accurate for your stats and activity level, @rosebette. I know you've said that you walk around campus, sometimes pulling a rolling suitcase, and feel that is somewhat of a workout. I disagree. I think it's a mistake to count daily activity that you must perform in order to live as exercise.

I think it's GREAT to walk and avoid a sedentary lifestyle, but just because you walk around during the day doesn't mean you're exercising. If you want your burn to be higher, you've got to put in the time. I read on your profile that your body fat percentage is 35%, and you're right, that's very high. If you maintain an exercise regimen, though, your body fat % will fall, your burn will increase and you will build muscle, which will further boost your metabolism. You don't have to do over an hour of kickboxing seven days a week. But even forty-five minutes of consistent, strenuous exercise--something more than a walk around campus!--five days a week could make a world of difference for you. I also read that the kickboxing class you attend is specifically geared toward older women? I wonder if it might not be enough of a challenge?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have a low metabolism, at least not anything to be concerned about or that there is something wrong with you. You are going to have the average TDEE number that you'll find using an online calculator, and some people will be below that, some above, and some right on. It's all just estimations.

I have similar stats as you. I'm 53, 5'1, and weigh around 120. I am lightly active for my job, lift weights 3x a week, take several 2 mile (hilly) walks a week, and do some yoga. I maintain on about 1500 a day, yet calculators say I should be around 1700. If for some reason I don't get in that level of activity, it's more like 1200 calories. I've just accepted that is what it is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So your TDEE is around 1350.. I agree I think that sucks ...but it's down to your height, weight, musculature, level of activity and exercise

If you wish to increase it you can

1) get generally more active, walk more etc
    2) follow a progressive resistance programme
    Bodyweight - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
    Or even better - free weights - http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ or https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I would not believe a charge HRM as an accurate TDEE unless over time (8 weeks) what you've eaten (logged accurately which you do need to do) against what it says proves to be accurate

My fitbit zip over the last year has proved relatively accurate / slightly underestimating my TDEE by 1-300 calories but I am fortunate that I am taller and heavier than you so working in a higher calorie range to begin with
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

In any case, the question isn't about tracking, it's about metabolic rate. If what you're saying is true, then the fitbit estimate of 1348 is an overestimate, and I'm burning even less than that. (I've never worn a fitbit in the shower, but I've also never seen it log steps when I'm driving or even when I'm on a stationary bike.) It's not like I'm saying, the fibit says I burn 1348 and I'm eating less than that and not losing. That's not the question. I'm asking, the fibit says I burn only 1348 -- is that a low metabolism for someone with my stats?

Well keep in mind that a fitbit can be inaccurate in. It's essentially an advanced version of a pedometer. Many things can "fool" a fitbit. While it can "measure" your metabolism, similar to a scale, it doesn't mean it's accurate. And while it's cool to have technology (especially if you are inspired by it to workout more), it won't be accurate for a lot of exercise for total burns. So realistically, it's really hard to understand your true Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE), not RMR/BMR, without an accurate food diary. And we can't say what your BMR/RMR is, without you getting a test done. At best, you can guess your BMR/RMR. So while, I don't think it's correct to assume you have a low metabolic rate for your age, it's possible you have a low TDEE but won't know until you accurately track your calories.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's low for your stats. I'm 5ft0 and maintenance without added excersise is about 1300 for me. It's not much but it is what it is.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I don't think that's low for your stats. I'm 5ft0 and maintenance without added excersise is about 1300 for me. It's not much but it is what it is.

We would ask you the same thing, do you use a food scale? Can you open your food diary?
  • rosebette
    Options
    Here's my typical week -- Sunday -- 30-45 minute walk, Monday 5000 steps campus walking, stair climbing, with roller bag, 30 minute additional walk when I get home, Tuesday - 60 minute Fitness class with low impact aerobics, weights, abs, stretching, 30 minute walk; Wednesday - same as Monday, Thursday - Same as Tuesday; Friday - Yoga (sometimes), Kickboxing, plus 30 minute minimum walk (today I did an hour), Saturday - 30-45 minute walk. If I'm not teaching in a week-end program, I might do yoga on Saturday. The week-end campus where I teach is smaller, so I don't put in the steps that I would on Mon and Wed. I used to do a much more challenging weight classes and weights on my own, but as I said, I'm coming back from an injury. The class I'm doing now is targeted at older women, so focus is on correct form and maintaining strength, rather than building big muscles. I'm hoping to progress to something more challenging in the fall.
    This is a recap of my exercise. I walk 30 minutes a day in addition to my campus walking, and the 30 minutes includes walking uphill the same route twice. The fitness classes on Tuesday and Thursday are for older women and I chose them because the level of lifting and the bands are appropriate for my injury, and they include light aerobics, but I do the 30 minute walk in addition to that. The kickboxing is a vigorous class for all ages; my heartrate gets to 135, which is 80% for my age level; I don't have any issues with lower body cardio-based work. Unfortunately, on the week-ends, I've been involved in an all-weekend alternative college program (I'm an instructor/advisor), and I don't have time at the end of the day for more than a walk, and my gym is closed by the time I get home. So as far as "putting in the time", I'm putting in an hour and a half 3 days a week, and 30 minutes on the other 4 days. As I said before, I am planning to step up the lifting in another month or so.

By the way, my bodyfat is no longer 35%. My profile was made last year when I started with MFP at 126. It's now around 30% and of course, could be lower. I have lost 6 lbs. and a few inches in over a year, just at a standstill now.

Since I've heard from quite a few "shorties" that 1300 or so is typical for someone of my level of activity, I guess I should just accept that, get tighter on tracking, and "suck it up." For my next checkup, though, I am going to request some additional blood tests for my next checkup just to be on the safe side because I have a few other symptoms of thyroid issues -- extreme sensitivity to cold (my hands turn blue in supermarkets and extreme air conditioned offices -- I suffered this on the week-end); low body temperature (around 97), brittle nails (I haven't had nail growth since February).

I just wish I wouldn't have to come away from all these discussion feeling like a whiner and a failure.

• psuLemon
    Options
    Here's my typical week -- Sunday -- 30-45 minute walk, Monday 5000 steps campus walking, stair climbing, with roller bag, 30 minute additional walk when I get home, Tuesday - 60 minute Fitness class with low impact aerobics, weights, abs, stretching, 30 minute walk; Wednesday - same as Monday, Thursday - Same as Tuesday; Friday - Yoga (sometimes), Kickboxing, plus 30 minute minimum walk (today I did an hour), Saturday - 30-45 minute walk. If I'm not teaching in a week-end program, I might do yoga on Saturday. The week-end campus where I teach is smaller, so I don't put in the steps that I would on Mon and Wed. I used to do a much more challenging weight classes and weights on my own, but as I said, I'm coming back from an injury. The class I'm doing now is targeted at older women, so focus is on correct form and maintaining strength, rather than building big muscles. I'm hoping to progress to something more challenging in the fall.
    This is a recap of my exercise. I walk 30 minutes a day in addition to my campus walking, and the 30 minutes includes walking uphill the same route twice. The fitness classes on Tuesday and Thursday are for older women and I chose them because the level of lifting and the bands are appropriate for my injury, and they include light aerobics, but I do the 30 minute walk in addition to that. The kickboxing is a vigorous class for all ages; my heartrate gets to 135, which is 80% for my age level; I don't have any issues with lower body cardio-based work. Unfortunately, on the week-ends, I've been involved in an all-weekend alternative college program (I'm an instructor/advisor), and I don't have time at the end of the day for more than a walk, and my gym is closed by the time I get home. So as far as "putting in the time", I'm putting in an hour and a half 3 days a week, and 30 minutes on the other 4 days. As I said before, I am planning to step up the lifting in another month or so.

By the way, my bodyfat is no longer 35%. My profile was made last year when I started with MFP at 126. It's now around 30% and of course, could be lower. I have lost 6 lbs. and a few inches in over a year, just at a standstill now.

Since I've heard from quite a few "shorties" that 1300 or so is typical for someone of my level of activity, I guess I should just accept that, get tighter on tracking, and "suck it up." For my next checkup, though, I am going to request some additional blood tests for my next checkup just to be on the safe side because I have a few other symptoms of thyroid issues -- extreme sensitivity to cold (my hands turn blue in supermarkets and extreme air conditioned offices -- I suffered this on the week-end); low body temperature (around 97), brittle nails (I haven't had nail growth since February).

I just wish I wouldn't have to come away from all these discussion feeling like a whiner and a failure.

You shouldn't think that, but it does appear you are literally waiting for us to justify/validate that you have a low metabolism which may not be the case.

IRT to the brittle nails, it's possible you aren't getting enough fat in your diet. Fat regulates hormones and affects things like skin, nails, hair growth.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well if you think you have thyroid issues then you should speed up those blood tests don't you think?

Also nobody thinks you're a whiter. You seem to be taking on the core message and you're no different to anyone else who starts out on here...people tell you things you don't want to hear and it takes time to sink it ..for me by big one was an HRM doesn't measure anything but steady state cardio ...hated that bit of information but once I accepted it, it all became much easier and my numbers started to make more sense