Extremely low metabolism

Options

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote:
    So Friday last week, when does 56 grams = 3 ounces? 56 grams equals 1.97 ounces; and how do you weigh meat but list bacon as a slice? And last, 28 walnuts?!? I almost went out and bought a bag to actually weigh this; if 100 calories is a lot, imagine how surprised you'll be when you realize your maintenance is between 1500 and 1600 calories.

Maybe take the fitbit and just table it for 6 weeks and tighten up your diary. A friend today reminded me when washing their hair the fitbit counted the motion as steps.

Are you looking at my diary? Because I didn't eat any walnuts last Friday or the Friday before. Also, I use packaged bacon (Oscar Meyer, hormel, whatever), and the package and MFP says 80 calories for 2 slices. There are the same number of slices in every package. Am I not supposed to trust what the package or what MFP says?

In any case, the question isn't about tracking, it's about metabolic rate. If what you're saying is true, then the fitbit estimate of 1348 is an overestimate, and I'm burning even less than that. (I've never worn a fitbit in the shower, but I've also never seen it log steps when I'm driving or even when I'm on a stationary bike.) It's not like I'm saying, the fibit says I burn 1348 and I'm eating less than that and not losing. That's not the question. I'm asking, the fibit says I burn only 1348 -- is that a low metabolism for someone with my stats?

Almonds, and yes, it was last Friday. The bacon ought to be weighed, but if taken from a package, better then just saying '1 slice MFP provides. . . ' so I get it. As for the fitbit, metabolism, and burns, they are estimates. I would strongly suggest having your thyroid checked. Best of luck. PS--I start writing out the TDEE formula but realized all the numbers are probably wrong since your BMR number is probably wrong. So, good luck, and get a checkup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Here's my typical week -- Sunday -- 30-45 minute walk, Monday 5000 steps campus walking, stair climbing, with roller bag, 30 minute additional walk when I get home, Tuesday - 60 minute Fitness class with low impact aerobics, weights, abs, stretching, 30 minute walk; Wednesday - same as Monday, Thursday - Same as Tuesday; Friday - Yoga (sometimes), Kickboxing, plus 30 minute minimum walk (today I did an hour), Saturday - 30-45 minute walk. If I'm not teaching in a week-end program, I might do yoga on Saturday. The week-end campus where I teach is smaller, so I don't put in the steps that I would on Mon and Wed. I used to do a much more challenging weight classes and weights on my own, but as I said, I'm coming back from an injury. The class I'm doing now is targeted at older women, so focus is on correct form and maintaining strength, rather than building big muscles. I'm hoping to progress to something more challenging in the fall.
    This is a recap of my exercise. I walk 30 minutes a day in addition to my campus walking, and the 30 minutes includes walking uphill the same route twice. The fitness classes on Tuesday and Thursday are for older women and I chose them because the level of lifting and the bands are appropriate for my injury, and they include light aerobics, but I do the 30 minute walk in addition to that. The kickboxing is a vigorous class for all ages; my heartrate gets to 135, which is 80% for my age level; I don't have any issues with lower body cardio-based work. Unfortunately, on the week-ends, I've been involved in an all-weekend alternative college program (I'm an instructor/advisor), and I don't have time at the end of the day for more than a walk, and my gym is closed by the time I get home. So as far as "putting in the time", I'm putting in an hour and a half 3 days a week, and 30 minutes on the other 4 days. As I said before, I am planning to step up the lifting in another month or so.

By the way, my bodyfat is no longer 35%. My profile was made last year when I started with MFP at 126. It's now around 30% and of course, could be lower. I have lost 6 lbs. and a few inches in over a year, just at a standstill now.

Since I've heard from quite a few "shorties" that 1300 or so is typical for someone of my level of activity, I guess I should just accept that, get tighter on tracking, and "suck it up." For my next checkup, though, I am going to request some additional blood tests for my next checkup just to be on the safe side because I have a few other symptoms of thyroid issues -- extreme sensitivity to cold (my hands turn blue in supermarkets and extreme air conditioned offices -- I suffered this on the week-end); low body temperature (around 97), brittle nails (I haven't had nail growth since February).

I just wish I wouldn't have to come away from all these discussion feeling like a whiner and a failure.

You're not whiner and a failure.

Definitely go see a doctor and get some testing done, and you've already started to tighten your logging...

But I totally hear you. I also have to be hungry a lot to maintain my weight at this point. It sucks. If I have any treat, I'll end up hungry later... guaranteed. I go to bed hungry half the time. And that's eating more calories than you do. I do believe that for some people it's just harder than others to maintain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @rabbitjb @_Terrapin_ the OP had her thyroid checked in January and it was normal.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    @rabbitjb @_Terrapin_ the OP had her thyroid checked in January and it was normal.
    Thanks for posting this; different issue then the thyroid.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't think you sound like a whiner or a failure.

I think many people are misunderstanding your issue/question.

As a fellow shortie I can relate.

But I don't think that if you're hypothyroid that would be reflected on the Fitbit? I don't know, though. I guess maybe if it slowed your heart rate? I was recently diagnosed and my heart rate wasn't slowed.

I think it's entirely possible to have a normal thyroid reading seven months ago and for it to be off now. My doctor says that for many people the thyroid levels will go up and down before they eventually stay down. So it's possible your last test was during an up time and that it's been down recently or totally conked out. I can tell you that for me the noticeable symptoms came on rather quickly. Mine tested normal last June and I felt fine throughout the winter. Beginning around the start of spring I started feeling really bad -- absolutely no energy, totally brain fogged and weight gain despite eating normally. When I went to the doctor in June my thyroid test indicated that it was very underactive. So it can happen relatively quickly.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Ahh I missed that ...Well that's good news then isn't it OP :)

I'd be looking to round out my diet nutritionally
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    But I don't think that if you're hypothyroid that would be reflected on the Fitbit?

I don't think so, either.

OP, no one is trying to make you feel like a whiner or a failure! I just think your situation is pretty simple: if you're unhappy with your burn, then think about trying something different so you can burn more. If you're eating at a deficit, but not losing like you should, then--barring thyroid issues--the problem is with your logging.

It sucks that your TDEE is so low. If you did want to come in here and complain about it, NO ONE would blame you! But after reading a few responses here from people with similar stats as you and much higher TDEE's, I have to wonder if the problem is in your exercise/walking routine. I am not trying to make you feel like a failure. Just trying to help!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're a whiner or a failure, I just think you are stubbornly clinging to the idea that you have an abnormally low metabolism. As I said before, for your age, height, and stats, I think your metabolism seems fairly normal. You seem to think you are very active, but it sounds to me as if you are only somewhat active (on a daily basis). Your Fitbit is telling you that. So the ultimate answer to your original question is no, your metabolism is not abnormal.

What others are trying to tell you is that by not weighing your food or being as accurate as you can with calorie counting, you are unaware that you are actually eating more calories than you think you are. You seem to think that you are only eating a certain amount of calories and that you aren't losing weight at that caloric level, but the truth is you are eating more calories than that, and if you were to actually weigh everything you ate, you'd find that you are eating several hundred more than you think, at least over the course of a few days. Trim that up and you could lose the weight you are looking for.
    Add in a more vigorous activity, like a strenuous cardio routine a few days a week, and you'd have even more room.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The point is that I'm not questioning why I'm not losing. I'm questioning whether the number on the fitbit shows a lower metabolism than would be expected for a woman of my age, size, and activity level or whether it's within the normal range. For instance, my fitbit today said my total burn for the day is 1348. I have to eat less than that to lose, probably around 1000.

I have a Charge HR, and yesterday I burned 1,155 calories. If you think your Fitbit is defective, contact customer service.

I lost the weight and have kept it off for more than a year. You can, too, if you'll please stop being so defensive and listen to the advice you're being given. No one is attacking you—we're sharing what's worked for us.

If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. But you have to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. You cannot log 1 slice of bacon, 28 nuts, or 1/2 T butter. Every package says how many grams are in a serving, and if you want to lose weight you need to weigh everything you eat. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have a question - if it is low metabolism, then what? You will still have to adjust either your intake or output accordingly?

The problem with self diagnosis is that you have set yourself up to fail before you begin. Take control over the things you have control over - your intake and output.

Get a metabolic test done and either confirm or eliminate this suspicion. Get a full metabolic hormone panel done and either confirm or eliminate this as well.

Many posters on this thread have some sort of metabolic disorder, myself included, but did a bit of self evaluation and found a successful plan. Don't stop trying - good health is worth the time and effort!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to be so down. Yesterday, I just said f* it and had a frozen yogurt at a roadside stand and cut way back on dinner, but the years of an existence of measuring minutely every morsel of food put into my mouth so I can maintain weight or lose are beginning to stretch before me. I guess I'm struggling with the aging process and anger at my body for betraying me both for not performing as it used to and for being injured.

On the other hand, eating froyo because you're depressed and can't reach a goal is what obese people do, and if I keep that up, or don't follow the advice I'm given, I probably will look like that woman in the video. And perhaps mentally and emotionally, I am already that woman, which is not a very edifying thought.

Regarding the thyroid, my doc did one test, but I have a friend who has similar issues who has recommended that there are other tests I could get. She was testing normal for a long time but with similar symptoms, although she was more fatigued than I am. She wouldn't have been able to get through a workout. But she was normal weight and her doctor wouldn't listen to her because he said that people with thyroid issues are either really heavy or excessively thin; however, it did turn out she had a problem ultimately.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm struggling with the aging process and anger at my body for betraying me both for not performing as it used to and for being injured.

Regarding the thyroid, my doc did one test, but I have a friend who has similar issues who has recommended that there are other tests I could get.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid and Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

MFP has a menopause group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I have a question - if it is low metabolism, then what? You will still have to adjust either your intake or output accordingly?

The problem with self diagnosis is that you have set yourself up to fail before you begin. Take control over the things you have control over - your intake and output.

Get a metabolic test done and either confirm or eliminate this suspicion. Get a full metabolic hormone panel done and either confirm or eliminate this as well.

Many posters on this thread have some sort of metabolic disorder, myself included, but did a bit of self evaluation and found a successful plan. Don't stop trying - good health is worth the time and effort!

Well said!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I guess I'm struggling with the aging process and anger at my body for betraying me both for not performing as it used to and for being injured.

Regarding the thyroid, my doc did one test, but I have a friend who has similar issues who has recommended that there are other tests I could get.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid and Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

MFP has a menopause group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
    Yes, you are right. If I do have some type of metabolic disorder, I will have to accept lifestyle adjustments, just like someone who is diabetic. Thank you for the resource.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm confused now, what did I miss? What type of metabolic disorder do you have?

Please don't self diagnose, see the doctor ..most have said that your TDEE sounds appropriate for your stats
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I looked at your diary. It is sloppy, and some of your exercise burns are way over-estimated.

Plainly and simply, you're eating more than you're willing to admit.

I have to agree with this. There's no way you're burning 569 calories in 55 minutes of kickboxing.

We are the same height, same weight, but I'm 27- I would cut that calorie burn in half.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Don't look down the road thinking you have to measure and weigh for the rest of your life.
    Pay close attention over the next few months, while you are changing you logging habits, to your portion sizes.

After a while you may be able to maintain by just watching the scale and clothes ( tight or loose). Most of the year I don't log, but work by portion sizes, then log for a few weeks when my routine changes.

Heck, we have been ageing all our lives and adjusting, this is just the continuation of it. Don't be put off because you are getting closer to 60.

(I am sat in my hairdressers having my hair dyed neon pink with magenta highlights to celebrate my 62nd next week.)

Cheers, h.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    So I had yogurt for dessert tonight. Instead of using a measuring cup and just putting the yogurt in a bowl, I put the empty bowl on the scale, measured 1/2 cup of yogurt, and put it in a bowl. The yogurt ended up weighing 4 ounces, which is -- guess what -- 1/2 a cup!

For yogurt, milk, etc, I use cups and I've checked the scale too, and the amount is always correct, just like yours. The problem comes in with things that are not liquid or soft enough to pour or mash into a cup accurately and evenly, like cereal or grapes, starchy vegetables, or little snack crackers, and of course meat. Those are the things that you're better off weighing. Some people weigh EVERY thing, but I never have, and I still lost the weight on the time line predicted for me. Your BMR is only a tad slower than mine, btw, which is just because I'm a couple years younger. It takes time to mentally adjust to the true suckiness of the menopausal BMR. No lie, it's bad, and you'll find all sort of people on here talking about eating mass quantities and this and that and it's frustrating especially when someone appears to be bragging that they can eat the whole fridge and still lose, while you and I are eating what look like toddler portions and wondering what the heck happened.

At least we've ascertained that you're getting good exercise. That's going to help a lot. Even if the calorie burns seem small, I find that in practice it makes a big difference in results.

I can't remember if you said you had your thyroid checked. I highly recommend it if you haven't already. My thyroid is dead, dead, dead and I have to take pills for it every day.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    So I had yogurt for dessert tonight. Instead of using a measuring cup and just putting the yogurt in a bowl, I put the empty bowl on the scale, measured 1/2 cup of yogurt, and put it in a bowl. The yogurt ended up weighing 4 ounces, which is -- guess what -- 1/2 a cup!

For yogurt, milk, etc, I use cups and I've checked the scale too, and the amount is always correct, just like yours. The problem comes in with things that are not liquid or soft enough to pour or mash into a cup accurately and evenly, like cereal or grapes, starchy vegetables, or little snack crackers, and of course meat. Those are the things that you're better off weighing. Some people weigh EVERY thing, but I never have, and I still lost the weight on the time line predicted for me. Your BMR is only a tad slower than mine, btw, which is just because I'm a couple years younger. It takes time to mentally adjust to the true suckiness of the menopausal BMR. No lie, it's bad, and you'll find all sort of people on here talking about eating mass quantities and this and that and it's frustrating especially when someone appears to be bragging that they can eat the whole fridge and still lose, while you and I are eating what look like toddler portions and wondering what the heck happened.

At least we've ascertained that you're getting good exercise. That's going to help a lot. Even if the calorie burns seem small, I find that in practice it makes a big difference in results.

I can't remember if you said you had your thyroid checked. I highly recommend it if you haven't already. My thyroid is dead, dead, dead and I have to take pills for it every day.

She has, it's fine.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    OK, awesome. Hopefully they checked the T3 and T4, not just TSH? Also if you have issues that aren't diagnosed yet you'll be SO tired. Unable to get through the day without naps, falling out at work. So hopefully that truly isn't part of the picture.

So the breakfast and still hungry thing. I think the answer is protein. I use a 100 calorie protein shake which I make with cold coffee rather than water, and then a boiled egg. Or if I get sick of boiled eggs, I use the trick my nutritionist taught me: the protein shake, then 1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt, 2 packets of splenda, 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter and a few drops of vanilla mixed together. It tastes really good. I do the half a sandwich thing too. I put the normal amount of meat or whatever inside a folded in half piece of bread. That way I get as much protein (the filling) but fewer carbs from the bread. Hummus with raw veggies is good. 2 tbsp is a serving I think. I usually use 1/4 cup though, so count 2 servings.

If I make sure to get all the protein grams MFP says I should have, but only 1/2 to 2/3 of the carbs, and close to all of the fat in healthy fats, within the calorie range, that provides the most satisfaction. On those days when that just doesn't seem to cut it I make a giant salad with 2 tbsp light dressing, or I eat a ridiculous amount of spinach or green beans or something just to "fill the hole." A little basil and a touch of olive oil (like 1 tsp) and sea salt on fresh steamed green beans tastes awesome. Wilt spinach with a little garlic and olive oil. omnomnomnom!

And if you can get bison meat it's very lean and you can eat more meat and get more protein for less cals.