Extremely low metabolism

Options

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I definitely plan on asking the doctor to do a more thorough panel at my next visit.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I definitely plan on asking the doctor to do a more thorough panel at my next visit.

Excellent - definitely worth eliminating the possibility. The best discussions with physicians start with data, so if you bring along your MFP diary and any other data this will help them with a proper diagnosis. Best regards.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Ok asked 3 times now and never got an answer. While OP answers others.
    Get the feeling i get ignored or OP dont want to know her real numbers apparently.....

good luck OP think you have to deal with it.
  • rosebette
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    Get the feeling i get ignored or OP dont want to know her real numbers apparently.....

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I've gotten busy with end of summer semester stuff and just haven't been answering everyone. I get on the forums when I have some downtime, but just got really busy. Would I have to go to a special clinic to get this VO2 Max test? Would my doctor have to approve it, or do I just go someplace and get one?
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    No you can do it in a lot of places even fitness centers
    Look it up for were you live...at the internet.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    you will get a pretty accurate number...( it is never 100%) but pretty damm close.
  • CSARdiver
    Options

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I've gotten busy with end of summer semester stuff and just haven't been answering everyone. I get on the forums when I have some downtime, but just got really busy. Would I have to go to a special clinic to get this VO2 Max test? Would my doctor have to approve it, or do I just go someplace and get one?

If you have a smartphone and a chest Heart Rate Monitor (like the Polar H7) this is part of their app.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Wow, a whole other set of equipment to buy. My husband already says my Fitbit HR is just feeding an obsession with statistics!
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    Wow, a whole other set of equipment to buy. My husband already says my Fitbit HR is just feeding an obsession with statistics!

I've built a very nice career through my obsession with statistics :)

Think the H7 is ~$70 and provides EKG level accurate HR readings.
  • rosebette
    Options
    He had bought me one of those for Christmas but I didn't want to have to wear something with a chest strap all day so I returned it because I really wanted the Fitbit HR which hadn't come out yet. Maybe I should have kept it?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

If you have a smartphone and a chest Heart Rate Monitor (like the Polar H7) this is part of their app.

Can you explain how this works to test metabolism?

The only test I know of is 12 hours after fasting with a hood for 10 mins to measure metabolic rate

A HRM and an app? Intrigued...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    He had bought me one of those for Christmas but I didn't want to have to wear something with a chest strap all day so I returned it because I really wanted the Fitbit HR which hadn't come out yet. Maybe I should have kept it?

I love my Fitbit Charge HR. I lost the weight (and have kept it off) by learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately and honestly. Logging works—and it only costs the price of a digital kitchen scale.
  • CSARdiver
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

The only test I know of is 12 hours after fasting with a hood for 10 mins to measure metabolic rate

http://www.polar.com/us-en/support/Maximum_oxygen_uptake__VO2max

Outstanding summary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

There's a small degree of error in the HRM algorithm, but for the average user very sufficient.
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options

Outstanding summary:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

There's a small degree of error in the HRM algorithm, but for the average user very sufficient.

Oh I know how HRMs work, I've read and reposted that particular blog on many occasions what I don't understand is how a polar HRM with chest strap measures metabolic rate ...surely it just measures calorie expenditure during steady state cardio?

To measure whether there is an issue with her metabolic rate, surely the OP would require an indirect calorimetry test?

What have I missed?
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Actually that's one of the issues I have with the 24 hour HRMs ...they are, IMHO, less accurate than a basic version like the zip or one to track step based activity overlayed with a chest strap HRM for steady state cardio plus estimate of mets for other style workouts

Because if the formula that underpin HR to calorie burn is only for steady state cardio what on earth is the point of 24 hour tracking of hr? Hr increases with stress, heat, weight training, HIIT etc ..this does not equate to the same calorie burn as a steady run or row or cycle
  • CSARdiver
    Options

Outstanding summary:

Oh I know how HRMs work, I've read and reposted that particular blog on many occasions what I don't understand is how a polar HRM with chest strap measures metabolic rate ...surely it just measures calorie expenditure during steady state cardio?

To measure whether there is an issue with her metabolic rate, surely the OP would require an indirect calorimetry test?

What have I missed?

The only element I wanted to highlight was the VO2max test. Less than 10% error in the HRM algorithm compared to the full diagnostic evaluation.
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2015
    Options

Outstanding summary:

What have I missed?

The only element I wanted to highlight was the VO2max test. Less than 10% error in the HRM algorithm compared to the full diagnostic evaluation.

Yes HRMs for steady state cardio are pretty accurate as a calorie guide

But she wants to check whether her metabolic rate is abnormal...OP you need indirect calorimetry testing
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Outstanding summary:

What have I missed?

Because this is MFP, will just add the standard caveat - "under conditions of steady state cardio where effort is below lactate threshold".

And lactate threshold as a percentage of VO2max is a function of physical fitness - so the worse shape you're in, the smaller the range where correlations work.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Outstanding summary:

What have I missed?

Yes HRMs for steady state cardio are pretty accurate as a calorie guide

But she wants to check whether her metabolic rate is abnormal...OP you need indirect calorimetry testing

Yes, agreed.

A RMR test would be better and they can be fairly inexpensive (I had one done a few years ago and it cost £60) if she is concerned about her metabolic rate rather than a measure of her cardiovascular fitness.

The Polar "Own Index" fitness test is pretty cool though - instead of submaximal test like running your *kitten* off for a couple of kms what you do is relax for 5 minutes or so and it estimates your VO2 Max based on your heart rate variability and a few other factors. It is useful for tracking an improvement over time (I think Polar say they do not guarantee the accuracy of the actual reading) to see how your fitness is improving. I'm not sure this is really what the OP is looking for though.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

there's a shed full of methods to estimate VO2max from heart rate and defined activity http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm

this would estimate aerobic fitness and probably extrapolate to a resting rate, but the indirect calorimetry method would be more direct and probably more accurate.