Would you have said anything?

Options

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance who thinks that drinking 2 oz. of liquified asparagus a day is going to help her lose weight. She doesn't modify her diet or do much moving around. Just the asparagus.

I don't say anything to her about it, but this is just how we are as a society--always looking for a shortcut. It is definitely frustrating when you're working so hard to lose/maintain and you hear people saying stupid things like that, but you can't really say much about it.
    Oh gawd. The asparagus pee effect she must have *gag*

That's genetic! :) Not all people get it. Once I mentioned it to my boyfriend and his kids, and they all looked at me like I had three kids. Apparently NOT passed on in their family!
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    No, I probably would have chuckled out loud though.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance who thinks that drinking 2 oz. of liquified asparagus a day is going to help her lose weight. She doesn't modify her diet or do much moving around. Just the asparagus.

I don't say anything to her about it, but this is just how we are as a society--always looking for a shortcut. It is definitely frustrating when you're working so hard to lose/maintain and you hear people saying stupid things like that, but you can't really say much about it.

That's genetic! :) Not all people get it. Once I mentioned it to my boyfriend and his kids, and they all looked at me like I had three kids. Apparently NOT passed on in their family!
    Great. Something else to blame on my parents :)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,715 Member
    Options
    Eh. Many times I have my PT shirt on going into the grocery store. I've had people ask me about diet and I've heard some of the dumbest approaches that people discuss in line on diet. IMO, if they didn't ask for your opinion, then you do the inside head eyeroll and move on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

And everygody I know does get the stinky pee from asparagus. It has nothing to do with genetics.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

And everygody I know does get the stinky pee from asparagus. It has nothing to do with genetics.

Not exactly. How stinky asparagus urine is has more to do with the nose than the urine. The same urine will smell different to different people. Some can't smell it at all.

Editing because apparently I was mistaken. Some people do genetically not have stinky asparagus urine.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140818-mystery-of-asparagus-and-urine

I've learned something today. B)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Not exactly. How stinky asparagus urine is has more to do with the nose than the urine. The same urine will smell different to different people. Some can't smell it at all.

Off topic: why oh why can't I have this issue? It would make my job so much more pleasant.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    It depends. Am quite surprised everyone else says absolutely no, but it wouldnt be out of place for someone to have a conversation at a bus stop, in a queue, checkout. Pick your moment and way you do it. Id be highly wary of interceding with the other woman there. Am more shocked by the atitude of the checkout person above.......

Having a random group conversation between 3 strangers in the same situation in a waiting line or at a bus stop is acceptable, but 2 friends/acquaintances having a conversation and a third butting in solely to disagree and rob a person their chance to earn money is rude and out of line.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No, I would have said nothing.
    Both of these poor souls are like most who seek fast, easy answers.
    I just silently wish everybody the best knowing most will fail.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So if I flipped it around and I was the one having a conversation with the cashier about losing weight by way of logging my food and exercising more, and then some random stranger behind me piped up about some weight loss product, I'm pretty sure they'd get a withering glare if not more.

So no, I don't think I'd say anything to them.

As to this...
    Paul699 wrote: »
    I would have wanted to say "errrm, excuse me, but im waiting to be served here, if you want to talk about personal matters please do so out of work time" but thats just me :)

I was a cashier for 4 years and if you said that to me (or most of my coworkers) you would be served so slowly, just to waste your time even more. And we'd probably squash your bread or bananas or something.

After spending hours serving hundreds of customers that don't even acknowledge you, sometimes you just need a quick chat. Plus it's not like the OP wasn't served. She was.

I know it sounds petty. But we really hate those customers. So glad I don't deal with it anymore.

I've worked in service jobs. I don't particularly like people, and service jobs are why. Many people are just irritating if not rude. That said, you're not being paid to punish annoying people. If dealing with snotty people bothers you that much (and I know it would bother me that much), find employment elsewhere or take some actual pride in your work and treat everyone the same. I get that it's tough and people should just be civil, but that's not going to happen.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No, because these are strangers and you don't know what kind of reaction you might get from them. If I knew and cared about the person who was about to waste their money, I'd take them aside and discuss it when they had some time.

It is my belief that Herbalife and things like it are actually dangerous for the liver and kidneys and should not exist... but I'm not the FDA so there it is. :/
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say anything, but it would be so hard listening to that conversation. I've wanted to make little MFP cards to hand out to people when they do ask me directly (and some times when they don't...)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    wpid-screenshot_2015-05-07-10-01-562-jpg.jpeg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Would I have inserted myself into a conversation between two complete strangers? Um...no.

You wouldnt have to insert yourself into the conversation especially spoiling her pitch (rude), after she had wandered off you could have said soemthing if youd wanted to.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a polite reminder to check with her doctor before taking anything and let the medical professional deliver the news. That way you're not saying anything negative but hopefully reminding them to be smart with their well being.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Editing because apparently I was mistaken. Some people do genetically not have stinky asparagus urine.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140818-mystery-of-asparagus-and-urine

I've learned something today. B)

It's apparently still under study/debate. (I'd heard that some didn't in the past and more recently that it was about ability to smell it. Who knew it was so complicated.)

From wiki (I've left in the whole section, since it's so great):
    The effect of eating asparagus on urine has long been observed:

"[Asparagus] cause a powerful and disagreeable smell in the urine, as every Body knows." (Treatise of All Sorts of Foods, Louis Lemery, 1702)[34]

"asparagus... affects the urine with a foetid smell (especially if cut when they are white) and therefore have been suspected by some physicians as not friendly to the kidneys; when they are older, and begin to ramify, they lose this quality; but then they are not so agreeable." ("An Essay Concerning the Nature of Aliments," John Arbuthnot, 1735)[35]

"A few Stems of Asparagus eaten, shall give our Urine a disagreable Odour..." ("Letter to the Royal Academy of Brussels," Benjamin Franklin, c. 1781)[36]

Asparagus "...transforms my chamber-pot into a flask of perfume." Marcel Proust (1871–1922)[37]

There is debate about whether all—or only some—people produce the smell, and whether all (or only some) people identify the smell. It was originally thought this was because some of the population digested asparagus differently from others, so some people excreted odorous urine after eating asparagus, and others did not. In the 1980s three studies from France,[38] China and Israel published results showing that producing odorous urine from asparagus was a common human characteristic. The Israeli study found that from their 307 subjects all of those who could smell 'asparagus urine' could detect it in the urine of anyone who had eaten asparagus, even if the person who produced it could not detect it.[39] However, a 2010 study[40] found variations in both production of odorous urine and the ability to detect the odour, but that these were not tightly related. It is believed most people produce the odorous compounds after eating asparagus, but the differing abilities of various individuals to detect the odor at increasing dilutions suggests a genetically determined specific hypersensitivity.[41][42][43]

In 2010, the company 23andMe published a genome-wide association study on whether participants have "ever noticed a peculiar odor when you pee after eating asparagus?"[44] This study pinpointed a single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) in a cluster of olfactory genes associated with the ability to detect the odor. While this SNP did not explain all of the difference in detection between people, it provides support for the theory that there are genetic differences in olfactory receptors that lead people to be unable to smell these odorous compounds.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love the asparagus debate that got thrown in here :D

Just to clear it up, I was only thinking of saying something to the cashier IF the customer had left, but since she decided to stay, and I was done and checked out and she was still there, it didn't end up working that way. I know she makes money off of selling it and in her head she was just coming from a place of trying to help, and I wouldn't want to butt into that, but I just wished these two women at least knew of the CICO principle instead of trying an easy way out where they won't learn how to maintain, AND possibly wasting money in the meantime.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    No but mostly because I could really care less about others peoples weight. If they want to do two seconds of research themselves they'll easily find its a scam and if they don't that is their problem.
    lizzocat wrote: »
    I definitely would not have said something- it doesn't even work when I talk to people I know who ASK me for advice, I wouldn't say it to a stranger

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options