Choosing a Bike

Options
I've started researching and test riding a few bikes, and had a couple of questions I'm hoping to get some help with from those of you with more experience than I have. It's been 20 years since I've bought a bike, and things have really changed since the 90s! What I am looking for is a bike where I can do some fitness rides, and also potentially use for a bit of commuting (20 miles on paved, somewhat hilly country roads). It would be nice to be able to hop on the bike and go run a few errands, so a rack would be great. My goal is also to do some long rides, and my secret desire is to do charity rides (150 km or longer over 2 days or longer). I have a decent budget.

My questions are:
1) Hybrid (commuter/urban, whatever it is called?) or road? Hybrid sounds best for errands, but road sounds better for fitness and long rides. I worry that my back/shoulders will get sore from the position on a road bike, or that my hands will get sore from the single hand position on a hybrid. Can you get good speed with a hybrid?

2) Carbon or aluminium? Does a full carbon frame really make that much difference? A full carbon frame with good components (ie shimano tiagra or 105s) would be at the top end of my budget -- would it make more sense to get an aluminium frame with a carbon fork, upgrade the seat post and saddle, and spend the saved cash on shorts/gloves/etc?

3) Calliper or disc brakes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I know that I need to get out there and ride them, which I am in the process of doing -- I'm just trying to narrow down WHAT to test ride. :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hybrid......there are some hybrid bikes that give you something approximating road bike performance without the drop handlebars. The speed is more dependent on the rider than the bike.....

I'd probably go aluminum because of the cost. Unless you're riding in very hilly areas the absolute weight of the bike is not as big a factor as lighter / better rims and tires with lower rolling resistance. Unless you were a very serious rider you don't need anything higher than a 105 (I think from a quality point of view the extra cost for 105 over Taigra is probably worth it) I have a fairly entry level Giant road bike and the only upgrade I've done so far is wheels / tires - stick with the stock saddle for a while.

Nothing wrong with caliper brakes (they're a little dodgy in the rain) but I do love the disc brakes on my mountain bike. If you're getting disc make sure they're hydraulic.

There's an old saying around cycling.......don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe

Love. That. Saying. !!

One of the salespeople at my LBS was showing me a road bike with flat bar -- a Cannondale Quick. I've also ridden a Trek FX. One store has a Specialized Vita Comp test bike with a few upgrades (since it was a test) at $300 off since it's a 2014. I'm going to give that one a spin, too.

If I get a hybrid, I could get bar extensions. I like having more than one hand position.

Thanks!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    Options
    If you want to ride longer distances, like your MS 150 ride, go with a road bicycle. A good setup will make you comfortable on a road bicycle. Make sure the LBS takes the time to set you up properly. And don't forget, you can change things like the type of handlebar, saddle, and pedals.

Personally, I prefer steel or titanium, but aluminum would work for you.

And unless you're a good bicycle mechanic, or you know one, go with the caliper brakes.

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on getting back into one of the best hobbies ever, cycling.

It has been great for me in fitness, calorie burning, and general sanity.

The most popular new type of bike is called an Endurance Bike

It is almost a road bike... 85%.

But it as not so laid down of a riding position, not so compact and crouched. So many can enjoy 30-50 miles and not feel as fatigued as a race bike.

That is the marketing. They look like race bikes though. Hard to tell one apart!

I have one of each, race and Endurance. There is a difference in a full carbon race bike and aluminum endurance bike.

You can tell when you stand in the pedals a bit. You are a little more upright.

I would be happy with the endurance bike but I do like to occasionally go as hard and fast as I can for a best time

Giant has a decent website bit on the differences of bike types

Best of luck on finding what suits you best.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I think the endurance bicycle is also known as a sport touring.

There are all sorts of different road bicycles available ... racing, time trial, touring, sport touring/audax/randonneuring/endurance, cyclocross ...

I would recommend something in the sport touring/audax/randonneuring/endurance range or the touring range, although they can be a little bit heavier.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I love my hybrid bike because I feel I can go anywhere on it. My ex got a road bike but as soon as we'd try to cycle on a dirt path or at the side of the canal, he'd be in agony from his arms hurting from the vibration. I am comfortable in the hybrid position and I use it for on and off road. I commute to and from work which is 20 miles a day, no problems.

There are bike groups here on mfp that might give you more detailed answers. A good one is 'bicycling road and mountain' http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I go everywhere on a Genesis mountain bike, and it very hilly here.
    Road travel is tough, but that's how I want it. The road bikes zoom past me, so if you have long distances, you need one or a hybrid.
    I go about 20 miles average...and 40 miles or so every now and them.
    It's been great!
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    cyclocross - roadbike but slightly more relaxed and room for wider tyres.

I take my carbon roadbike everywhere. my commute is 50% rough gravel track. I pass mountain bikes and hybrids no problem.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with the endurance bike I got a few weeks ago. It has wider tyres (28mm), can take fenders and a rack, and is a bit more 'relaxed'. It has disc brakes, so as an all-round bike I think it's pretty good.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a touring road bike, steel frame if your budget allows - well looked after it will last for decades.

Comfortable enough for longer road rides and (in the UK) usually come fitted with a pannier rack and mudguards which are good for regular commuting. With 28 or 32mm tyres the bike could also be used on trails.

I love my disc brakes as they're good for commuting in all weather conditions. I have butterfly handlebars on mine, which allow for a variety of positions but you could have drops, straight or bull-horn depending on your personal preference.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have a road bike and a hybrid. I use the hybrid for commuting. Here are the reasons:

1. I like the flat bars and slightly more upright riding position. It allows me to see better in traffic and gives me more control of the bike in bad weather/pavement conditions.

2. It has disc brakes. (My roadie is a Craigslist purchase; I couldn't be picky.) I wasn't aware what a huge difference these make until I got caught in a big storm on my calliper-braked roadie. WOW. The stopping power of disc brakes on wet/snowy pavement is incredible. I highly, highly recommend disc brakes.

3. The bike comes with fender and rack mounts. Yes, you want fenders as well as a rack. (You can usually double up, though, so even if there's only one set of mounts in the back you should be okay). That said, more and more road bikes these days are starting to have mounts, and cyclocross bikes are another option. But they might be a bit more expensive, and depending on your area, you might not find one on Craigslist.

4. I get great speed on my hybrid. I've taken it for 50+ mile rides. I do go faster on my roadie. That's why I own it. ;)

5. If you find hand position is a problem, you can get bar ends or Ergon handlegrips. Super comfortable, multi-position capable.

6. My hybrid is aluminum; my roadie is aluminum with a carbon fork and seatpost. If you're weighing down the bike with fenders, rack, etc, it seems kind of pointless to spend the extra money on full carbon...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded to a Giant Fastroad Comax 2 and couldn't be happier with it. Basically a road bike with flat bars. Very lightweight. It's 10 lbs lighter than my hybrid was and what a difference that makes!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Much like running shoes, the right bike is all about feel.

Slainte831 wrote: »
    1) Hybrid (commuter/urban, whatever it is called?) or road? Hybrid sounds best for errands, but road sounds better for fitness and long rides. I worry that my back/shoulders will get sore from the position on a road bike, or that my hands will get sore from the single hand position on a hybrid. Can you get good speed with a hybrid?
    Urban, commuter, hybrid, comfort, endurance, road... There is sooo much overlap here that it's almost silly, but it's almost all marketing. Personally, I would look for something that can take wider tires (at least 25s) and has drop bars. Even if you don't use the drops much, having an additional place for your hands might be nice if you do get into the longer rides. If you're serious about running errands with it, then you'll either need a backpack or rack mounts. Find several bikes that meet those criteria and go ride them. Buy the one that you feel the best on.

2) Carbon or aluminium? Does a full carbon frame really make that much difference? A full carbon frame with good components (ie shimano tiagra or 105s) would be at the top end of my budget -- would it make more sense to get an aluminium frame with a carbon fork, upgrade the seat post and saddle, and spend the saved cash on shorts/gloves/etc?
    You will want shorts regardless, so factor that into your budget. Shoes, gloves, etc can come later if/when you want. Frame material is all about feel. Ride them and see what you think. I'm a strong believer in carbon, and since a frame should last you several years, I suggest you buy the right one the first time. If you feel good on a bike that happens to be alu, then go with alu. If you feel good on a bike that's carbon, then carbon is your answer. There is no right or wrong answer here.

3) Calliper or disc brakes?
    Callipers are fine for 99% of people. I wouldn't avoid disks, but I certainly wouldn't pay extra for them at this point.
    There are other parts I'd upgrade before I worried about discs.
  • ebell07
    ebell07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The problem with putting a rack on a road bike is that if you're commuting any real distance (read more than a mile) it will throw the balance of the bike off. When I commuted everyday (with laptop and heavy books) while in grad school I bought a hybrid for this specific reason. But now that I use a bike for excercise (20+ hilly mi a week) I invested in a road bike. I could not imagine using a commuter to do a long excercise ride; it would result in too much neck/back/leg pain. I have the Trek Lexa which is classified as an "endurance bike" but is really just a lower-end road bike and I love it. You can get by with a road bike for commuting if you use a backpack and minimal weight/distance. But make sure to get properly fitted for the bike (your shop should put you on the bike while it's mounted on a trainer and watch you pedal and take measurements).
  • Machka9
    Options
    ebell07 wrote: »
    The problem with putting a rack on a road bike is that if you're commuting any real distance (read more than a mile) it will throw the balance of the bike off.

Not if the road bicycle is a touring bicycle (or sport touring). They are designed for racks and loads.

But I definitely agree about getting fitted for whatever bicycle it is. Getting a bicycle that fits is the most important thing.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    1) Hybrid is an excellent choice if only one bike. I have a whole stable but ride my hybrid a lot. It is very versatile for all surfaces and routes. I suggest aluminum with no suspension and only a sprung seat post. I am a strong rider and can outrun most people on road bikes while on my hybrid.

2) Aluminum. I have a carbon road bike and it is incredible but limited to road riding. An aluminum hybrid is much more versatile for an only bike.

3) Caliper (rim) brakes are fine unless you will be doing major downhills at high speed.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Cyclocross, with an extra pair of road tires. They usually have the attachments for panniers, usually a little more upright, more sturdy. And I'd think aluminum are fine. I like disc brakes.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Agree that an aluminum is a more versatile material than carbon, it will also withstand any differential in weight load distributions (pulling stuff, carrying gear on a rack, carrying a kid, etc) better than a carbon. I have an aluminum Cervelo road bike and I love it. Do I dream of carbon? yeah, but I'd rather a good aluminum than an entry carbon. I've been racing on my aluminum for 4 or 5 years now and it's the motor more often than the equipment that is the limiting factor.

And, like cars, bike pricing is negotiable or at least try and get gear (better seat, preliminary fitting - about an hour for a good fitting, other goodies) tossed into the cost. My club had a deal with a number of our LBS and we got 10-15% off on bikes and sometimes they did additional deals. One year Cervelo offered buy 1 bike, get the 2nd at 1/2 off (and the team discount on top of that). A lot of my friends teamed up to go in on that deal.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the insights!

When I next visit my LBS, I'll try several different bikes. The guy I was chatting with suggested the Cannondale Quick, Cannondale Synapse, Specialized Dolce, Specialized Vita, or Specialized Ruby. I also have been looking around on the Trek website and will try the FX bikes and the Domane.

I'm very curious as to the 'feel' and body position on a hybrid vs a road bike with a flat bar vs a drop bar endurance-type bike. That will go a long way into paring down the choices.

And I know it's dorky, but I need to love the 'look' and colours too.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have a Giant Defy

Like the Synapse quite a bit. I think it won a few awards last year.

I see quite a few Fuji bikes out there too

Such a fun project... Bike research and test riding

Enjoy !