Choosing a Bike

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Slainte831 wrote: »
    I've started researching and test riding a few bikes, and had a couple of questions I'm hoping to get some help with from those of you with more experience than I have. It's been 20 years since I've bought a bike, and things have really changed since the 90s! What I am looking for is a bike where I can do some fitness rides, and also potentially use for a bit of commuting (20 miles on paved, somewhat hilly country roads). It would be nice to be able to hop on the bike and go run a few errands, so a rack would be great. My goal is also to do some long rides, and my secret desire is to do charity rides (150 km or longer over 2 days or longer). I have a decent budget.

My questions are:
    1) Hybrid (commuter/urban, whatever it is called?) or road? Hybrid sounds best for errands, but road sounds better for fitness and long rides. I worry that my back/shoulders will get sore from the position on a road bike, or that my hands will get sore from the single hand position on a hybrid. Can you get good speed with a hybrid?

2) Carbon or aluminium? Does a full carbon frame really make that much difference? A full carbon frame with good components (ie shimano tiagra or 105s) would be at the top end of my budget -- would it make more sense to get an aluminium frame with a carbon fork, upgrade the seat post and saddle, and spend the saved cash on shorts/gloves/etc?

3) Calliper or disc brakes?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I know that I need to get out there and ride them, which I am in the process of doing -- I'm just trying to narrow down WHAT to test ride. :)

1) Road bike if you want to do long rides - they're lighter. And you can still commute on them (plus you look cool). o:) Make sure the fit is right for you. I had them shorten the distance between the handlebar post and handlebars so my arms are at the right position (enough of an elbow bend). I have dropped handlebars because I like them (30 years on my previous bike) - don't notice any soreness on long rides (longest so far 100K)

2) Aluminum will be less expensive. I almost bought an all carbon bike, but my bike store guy accidentally had me test ride one that was aluminum with a carbon seat, that was about $500 cheaper. It weighs about 20lb and I was sold after a test ride. Maybe the carbon one would have been marginally better, but I didn't try it out and I'm totally happy with the one I have (Felt, shimano gears, carbon seat post, woman-specific saddle.) I added cage pedals after trying out clips and have a luggage rack, plus in the fit, I had him switch the left break to the back because I'm left-handed, Spurcycle bell (super loud), lights, repair kit, Sigma computer, Abus rubberized lock.

And as long as I keep it tuned up this is a really fast bike.

Get the one you fall in love with.

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have a specialized vita and it's great for commuting and errands. Your body is positioned for doing that type of riding not long rides. A bike that's good for doing that is not going to be good for super long rides. Mine is pretty miserable on anything longer than 30-40 miles due to the flat bar but I like wider tires and stability in town. I got it when I was in college for around campus and it was perfect for that. The stock saddle on it is very comfortable though. If I had it to do again I'd spend the $1500 on a road bike though since I prefer that type of riding to commuting at the moment since I live in a very unfriendly area to bike commuters.
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You folks are wonderful! I'll try and find a store nearby that carries Giant bikes -- the places I've been have sold Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. It's nice to hear about the bikes you have and love.

I think I need a hybrid AND a road bike, lol! Right now, I'm thinking aluminium, caliper ... And will have to decide road or hybrid once I get on them. I'm really looking forward to some good test rides. I'll be re-reading this thread before I go to my LBS!

Thanks for the insight and support!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You folks are wonderful! I'll try and find a store nearby that carries Giant bikes -- the places I've been have sold Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. It's nice to hear about the bikes you have and love.

I think I need a hybrid AND a road bike, lol! Right now, I'm thinking aluminium, caliper ... And will have to decide road or hybrid once I get on them. I'm really looking forward to some good test rides. I'll be re-reading this thread before I go to my LBS!

Thanks for the insight and support!

Honestly, once you get to bike shop level quality, the brands are pretty much interchangeable. The frames will have slightly different angles, so it will come down to what feels most comfortable to you. (The components--brakes, shifters, etc, will be the same or equivalent).

FWIW, my hybrid commuter is a Specialized Sirrus (Vita) and my road bike is an older Cannondale, model no longer in production but similar to a Synapse. Fantastic bikes, both of them. :)
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sweet on the Trek 7.4 or the Lexa right now. Really hoping I can buy myself one or the other soon.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thank you for a useful thread! I just took a learn-to-ride class yesterday, and I'd really like to get a bike. I wish I could start out with something used to save money, but I have no idea how to pick without the guidance of a sales clerk!
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thank you for a useful thread! I just took a learn-to-ride class yesterday, and I'd really like to get a bike. I wish I could start out with something used to save money, but I have no idea how to pick without the guidance of a sales clerk!

I think it's probably better to stick to the LBS so you can be properly fitted for a new bike and develop a relationship with the store for repairs and all that good stuff.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    I'm pretty sweet on the Trek 7.4 or the Lexa right now. Really hoping I can buy myself one or the other soon.

I've heard great things about both of them! They will be on my list to try!
  • Slainte831
    Options
    I BOUGHT MY BIKE!! Woo hoo!! So so excited. Can't wait to pick 'er up on Monday!

I chose a Cannondale Synapse and am extremely happy. After 2 months, five bike stores, and countless test rides, this one feels so right. :smiley:
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I BOUGHT MY BIKE!! Woo hoo!! So so excited. Can't wait to pick 'er up on Monday!

I chose a Cannondale Synapse and am extremely happy. After 2 months, five bike stores, and countless test rides, this one feels so right. :smiley:

Congratulations! Yay Cannondale--that is a solid, solid bike you have.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Thank you! It is beautiful. So excited for Monday! It's better than Christmas!
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Congratulations! It looks like a beauty!!
  • Slainte831
    Options
    I chose the Women's Synapse 105 5 with disc brakes (I live in the Canadian snowbelt) and it is matte black. Reminds me of the batmobile. Or a Stealth bomber, lol!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I chose the Women's Synapse 105 5 with disc brakes (I live in the Canadian snowbelt) and it is matte black. Reminds me of the batmobile. Or a Stealth bomber, lol!

Sounds awesome! congrats.
  • mommyknits
    mommyknits Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Congratulations on your decision. I did just the same as you over the last month or so.... researched, agonized, test rode. I ended up with a hybrid... a Specialized Ariel Sport. Have had it for almost 2 weeks now and have really been enjoying it. After many years out of the saddle (and I used to ride a fair amount), it's been great to get out there again. Enjoy!!!

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Recumbent. Recumbent trike. You will never go back. Two types- regular and tadpole. Tadpole is good for speed and is lighter weight. They are more expensive but you can find them used on craigslist. I love my recumbent trike. You cannot tip over and it's wonderful on the back, seat and neck. Congrats on your Cannondale. They are nice too!
  • Slainte831
    Options
    @mommyknits -- congratulations on your new baby! I've been out and increasing my time/distance every day. Today I found that 'sweet spot' where speed and cadence were all in sync and it felt like I go go forever. :)

PS. I knit too. Love ravelry! Such an amazing website -- both from the community and the technical sides.
  • Slainte831
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @dramaqueen45 -- I have to admit -- I had never considered recumbent. What drew you to that type of bike?
  • mommyknits
    mommyknits Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    @mommyknits --

PS. I knit too. Love ravelry! Such an amazing website -- both from the community and the technical sides.

@slainte831 I'm mommyknits on Rav, too.

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @dramaqueen45 -- I have to admit -- I had never considered recumbent. What drew you to that type of bike?

What I said in my post drew me to it- you cannot tip over (the older I get, the more nervous I become riding in traffic), plus it is very easy on the back, shoulders (I have under seat steering), and especially easy on the butt. A regular bike hurts to ride (for me) for a long period of time. I can ride my recumbent trike for hours. My husband had a recumbent for a year or so before I got mine. He needed one because he has had multiple back surgeries and wanted to get on a bike but something easier on the back. I wanted a trike but didn't consider a recumbent until he talked me into it because you have gears, etc on it. I will say they are difficult on hills because you cannot stand up like on a regular upright bike, but I believe that is the only disadvantage to riding one. Well that and maybe they are lower to the ground so less visible, but we have flags on the back to help with that.