Too much protein?

Options
Can you get too much protein each day? A protein drink that I like each morning has 26 grams and I would like to have one at lunch also

Replies

• Comeback2015
    Comeback2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can never, ever have too much protein. If you're even asking this question it means that you're 100% not getting enough protein!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I assume it would be possible for someone with kidney problems to get too much. Standardly, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You can get too much protein and you can get the wrong protein. Protein is necessary to build and repair tissue. Any excess has to be excreted by the kidney, and the molecules are large. Creatine taken in suplement form has been associated with testicular cancer. A lot of protein food comes wrapped in saturated fat. Use MFP as your guide to the amount you eat, and try to eat whole natural forms, such as beans, nuts, seeds, lean dairy, fish, and lean fresh meats.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    db56 wrote: »
    Can you get too much protein each day? A protein drink that I like each morning has 26 grams and I would like to have one at lunch also

I eat upwards of 200g of protein a day, at 160lbs. I've never had any problems

It's not a problem unless you don't use or need it or you have a rubbish liver. (Supposedly it can be quite hard on it.)

Either way, drink plenty of water as what you don't need is expelled through ye olde urine shoote.

Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet? The only reason I can possibly conceive for drinking overpriced waste products (whey) is if you are cutting on super low calories, where you need the extra protein for maintaining muscle.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    You can never, ever have too much protein. If you're even asking this question it means that you're 100% not getting enough protein!
    Pretty sure too much protein can strain your liver or kidneys and cause constipation etc so looks like you can get too much.

But I think to get to those levels of protein you need to try hard.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    No athlete here but I love my protein shake in the morning! For me, it takes the guess work out of breakfast, in addition to being yummy and nutritious. In fact, it tastes just like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake! Additionally, it keeps me well filled until lunch.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

You can never have too much heroin either.

• Merkavar
    Options
    Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet?

Seems like a slightly more efficient way to get protein, at least calorie wise. If all your lacking is a bit of protein for the day.

How do you calculate how much protein you need.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet?

Seems like a slightly more efficient way to get protein, at least calorie wise. If all your lacking is a bit of protein for the day.

General rule of thumb is 0.6-0.8g or protein a day.

• Merkavar
    Options

Per kilo or pound?
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options

You can get too much protein. You can get too much of anything. 52 grams is not even close to too much. Enjoy that shake at lunch and have a nice casein shake right before bed, too!

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

oops.. per lb.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 70-90 grams is protein daily. Since about half of protein gets converted to glucose if I over do the protein it will knock me out of nutritional ketosis. I did protein drinks until I counted up how much I was getting in my diet and realized the protein drinks were working against lowering my pain levels and weight loss.

Clearly one needs to be aware of the amount of protein intake for best health.
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to do two Core Power protein drinks as meal replacements. Each drink has 26 grams of protein. Those shakes seem to be the only thing that really makes me full so that I dont snack. Donna
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I am wanting to do two Core Power protein drinks as meal replacements. Each drink has 26 grams of protein. Those shakes seem to be the only thing that really makes me full so that I dont snack. Donna

Those shakes are far from meal replacements... get your protein from food.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 70-90 grams is protein daily. Since about half of protein gets converted to glucose if I over do the protein it will knock me out of nutritional ketosis. I did protein drinks until I counted up how much I was getting in my diet and realized the protein drinks were working against lowering my pain levels and weight loss.

Clearly one needs to be aware of the amount of protein intake for best health.

According to Dr Phinney, going above 50% Protein definitely knocks you out of Nutritional ketosis and he recommends 30% of your MACROS be Protein. If you consume less then 30% you lose LBM(lean body mass) and if you consume too much your body falls out of nutritional ketosis. So Gale, if 90 grams is your high end which would equate to 360 calories(and at 30% you are consuming 1200 calorie a day) which is more important for 'best health' eating enough calories to sustain a healthy minimum of calories or allowing the body to keep reducing your muscle mass and thus keep your body fat at a high percentage at the same weight?

As a footnote for those who want to make this a diet for life, Dr Phinney recommends not taking a holiday(meaning you eat above 50 grams of Carbs) because it takes 2-3 weeks for your body to get back to nutritional ketosis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your question really seems to be is 26 G protein too much for every meal, and the answer is no, that's pretty much the amount you'd need even to hit a recommended amount of protein. I usually get that much or more at each meal (and over 100 g total).
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For folks that do not lift weight .6 grams per lbs of LBM is sufficient. If you lift weights regularly than should aim for .8 to 1 gram per lbs LBM to preserve muscle mass.
    For the keto diet, if it takes you 2-3 weeks to get back in to ketosis then you clearly dont know what you are doing. Gl
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP isn't asking what's sufficient (although preserving muscle mass is a concern for anyone on a deficit). OP is asking what's too much. 52 grams over breakfast and lunch isn't going to be too much, especially if the 26 grams seems like a lot to him/her, so that it's unlikely dinner/snacks include some huge amount of protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Per kilo or pound?
    .8g per kilogram of healthy body weight per day is the standard recommendation. For non-endurance athletes, up to like 1.7 (or maybe 1.8, I'd have to check) per kilo per day can be helpful.

More than that and they say it does you no good. But many people like to exceed that amount, anyway.