Too much protein?

Can you get too much protein each day? A protein drink that I like each morning has 26 grams and I would like to have one at lunch also

Replies

• Comeback2015
    Comeback2015 Posts: 1 Member
    You can never, ever have too much protein. If you're even asking this question it means that you're 100% not getting enough protein!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I assume it would be possible for someone with kidney problems to get too much. Standardly, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    You can get too much protein and you can get the wrong protein. Protein is necessary to build and repair tissue. Any excess has to be excreted by the kidney, and the molecules are large. Creatine taken in suplement form has been associated with testicular cancer. A lot of protein food comes wrapped in saturated fat. Use MFP as your guide to the amount you eat, and try to eat whole natural forms, such as beans, nuts, seeds, lean dairy, fish, and lean fresh meats.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    db56 wrote: »
    Can you get too much protein each day? A protein drink that I like each morning has 26 grams and I would like to have one at lunch also

I eat upwards of 200g of protein a day, at 160lbs. I've never had any problems

It's not a problem unless you don't use or need it or you have a rubbish liver. (Supposedly it can be quite hard on it.)

Either way, drink plenty of water as what you don't need is expelled through ye olde urine shoote.

Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet? The only reason I can possibly conceive for drinking overpriced waste products (whey) is if you are cutting on super low calories, where you need the extra protein for maintaining muscle.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    You can never, ever have too much protein. If you're even asking this question it means that you're 100% not getting enough protein!
    Pretty sure too much protein can strain your liver or kidneys and cause constipation etc so looks like you can get too much.

But I think to get to those levels of protein you need to try hard.
  • No athlete here but I love my protein shake in the morning! For me, it takes the guess work out of breakfast, in addition to being yummy and nutritious. In fact, it tastes just like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake! Additionally, it keeps me well filled until lunch.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015

You can never have too much heroin either.

• Merkavar
    Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet?

Seems like a slightly more efficient way to get protein, at least calorie wise. If all your lacking is a bit of protein for the day.

How do you calculate how much protein you need.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet?

Seems like a slightly more efficient way to get protein, at least calorie wise. If all your lacking is a bit of protein for the day.

General rule of thumb is 0.6-0.8g or protein a day.

• Merkavar

Per kilo or pound?
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member

You can get too much protein. You can get too much of anything. 52 grams is not even close to too much. Enjoy that shake at lunch and have a nice casein shake right before bed, too!

• IsaackGMOON

Per kilo or pound?

oops.. per lb.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    I try to stay around 70-90 grams is protein daily. Since about half of protein gets converted to glucose if I over do the protein it will knock me out of nutritional ketosis. I did protein drinks until I counted up how much I was getting in my diet and realized the protein drinks were working against lowering my pain levels and weight loss.

Clearly one needs to be aware of the amount of protein intake for best health.
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    I am wanting to do two Core Power protein drinks as meal replacements. Each drink has 26 grams of protein. Those shakes seem to be the only thing that really makes me full so that I dont snack. Donna
  • IsaackGMOON
    I am wanting to do two Core Power protein drinks as meal replacements. Each drink has 26 grams of protein. Those shakes seem to be the only thing that really makes me full so that I dont snack. Donna

Those shakes are far from meal replacements... get your protein from food.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    I try to stay around 70-90 grams is protein daily. Since about half of protein gets converted to glucose if I over do the protein it will knock me out of nutritional ketosis. I did protein drinks until I counted up how much I was getting in my diet and realized the protein drinks were working against lowering my pain levels and weight loss.

Clearly one needs to be aware of the amount of protein intake for best health.

According to Dr Phinney, going above 50% Protein definitely knocks you out of Nutritional ketosis and he recommends 30% of your MACROS be Protein. If you consume less then 30% you lose LBM(lean body mass) and if you consume too much your body falls out of nutritional ketosis. So Gale, if 90 grams is your high end which would equate to 360 calories(and at 30% you are consuming 1200 calorie a day) which is more important for 'best health' eating enough calories to sustain a healthy minimum of calories or allowing the body to keep reducing your muscle mass and thus keep your body fat at a high percentage at the same weight?

As a footnote for those who want to make this a diet for life, Dr Phinney recommends not taking a holiday(meaning you eat above 50 grams of Carbs) because it takes 2-3 weeks for your body to get back to nutritional ketosis.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Your question really seems to be is 26 G protein too much for every meal, and the answer is no, that's pretty much the amount you'd need even to hit a recommended amount of protein. I usually get that much or more at each meal (and over 100 g total).
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    For folks that do not lift weight .6 grams per lbs of LBM is sufficient. If you lift weights regularly than should aim for .8 to 1 gram per lbs LBM to preserve muscle mass.
    For the keto diet, if it takes you 2-3 weeks to get back in to ketosis then you clearly dont know what you are doing. Gl
  • lemurcat12
    OP isn't asking what's sufficient (although preserving muscle mass is a concern for anyone on a deficit). OP is asking what's too much. 52 grams over breakfast and lunch isn't going to be too much, especially if the 26 grams seems like a lot to him/her, so that it's unlikely dinner/snacks include some huge amount of protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited August 2015

Per kilo or pound?
    .8g per kilogram of healthy body weight per day is the standard recommendation. For non-endurance athletes, up to like 1.7 (or maybe 1.8, I'd have to check) per kilo per day can be helpful.

More than that and they say it does you no good. But many people like to exceed that amount, anyway.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,649 Member

Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet? The only reason I can possibly conceive for drinking overpriced waste products (whey) is if you are cutting on super low calories, where you need the extra protein for maintaining muscle.

Hey, I like a protein shake every day. Overpriced waste product? Interesting opinion you've got there. What does it matter to you if people choose to supplement their protein intake with a shake??
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for all the replies.. Lots to consider.
  • lemurcat12
    Kalikel wrote: »

Per kilo or pound?
    .8g per kilogram of healthy body weight per day is the standard recommendation. For non-endurance athletes, up to like 1.7 (or maybe 1.8, I'd have to check) per kilo per day can be helpful.

More than that and they say it does you no good. But many people like to exceed that amount, anyway.

The usual recommendation on MFP is .6-.8 g/lb of bodyweight (I say .65-.85g/lb). That is essentially the same as a 1.7 g/kg recommendation. It usually assumes the person is (a) eating at a deficit and concerned with preserving lean body mass; (b) active/exercise intensely and concerned with maintaining or building lean body mass; or (c) a combination.

This is a pretty good discussion from a reputable site that gives citations and discusses the studies: http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Two other things should be noted as follow-up:

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

Protein Intake in General

The US Recommended Daily Allowance for protein[1] ranges between 46-56g for adults, depending on gender. Sometimes this number is also defined as 0.8g/kg bodyweight, if relative to weight.[1]

This is usually the lowest recommended estimate as it does not assume any extraneous conditions. It may not be sufficient for elderly persons undergoing the process of muscle loss, as inadequate amino acid intake can result in muscle mass loss to mobilize those amino acids for other uses at this level of intake.[2]

According to the International Society of Sports Nutrition, protein intakes of 1.4-2.0 g/kg of bodyweight (0.6-0.9g/lb of bodyweight) for physically active individuals is not only safe, but may improve the training adaptations to exercise training. [7]. The American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine also support high protein intake for active individuals[8] in the range of 1.2-1.7 g/kg of bodyweight (0.5-0.8 g/lb of bodyweight).

The reasons for the above tend to be increased leucine oxidation (a marker for amino acids being used for fuel, by being turned into glucose) that requires a higher intake of amino acids to negate and preserve nitrogen balance.[9][7] Additionally, increasing protein intake above the previously defined RDA 'daily allowance' will increase protein synthesis and, at levels higher than double this total, decrease protein breakdown.[10] Increased muscular hypertrophy is seen as beneficial to sports performance.

During Weight Loss

High protein diets have been found to preserve lean body mass when dieting in both obese people[11] and athletes [12] and has also been shown to improve overall body composition[13]. A doubling of protein intake from 0.9g/kg (near the daily recommended intake for the general population) to 1.8g/kg is able to preserve lean muscle mass during short-term and relatively drastic drops in calories.[14]...
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Per kilo or pound?

The usual recommendation on MFP is .6-.8 g/lb of bodyweight (I say .65-.85g/lb). That is essentially the same as a 1.7 g/kg recommendation. It usually assumes the person is (a) eating at a deficit and concerned with preserving lean body mass; (b) active/exercise intensely and concerned with maintaining or building lean body mass; or (c) a combination.

This is a pretty good discussion from a reputable site that gives citations and discusses the studies: http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

The US Recommended Daily Allowance for protein[1] ranges between 46-56g for adults, depending on gender. Sometimes this number is also defined as 0.8g/kg bodyweight, if relative to weight.[1]

This is usually the lowest recommended estimate as it does not assume any extraneous conditions. It may not be sufficient for elderly persons undergoing the process of muscle loss, as inadequate amino acid intake can result in muscle mass loss to mobilize those amino acids for other uses at this level of intake.[2]

According to the International Society of Sports Nutrition, protein intakes of 1.4-2.0 g/kg of bodyweight (0.6-0.9g/lb of bodyweight) for physically active individuals is not only safe, but may improve the training adaptations to exercise training. [7]. The American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine also support high protein intake for active individuals[8] in the range of 1.2-1.7 g/kg of bodyweight (0.5-0.8 g/lb of bodyweight).

The reasons for the above tend to be increased leucine oxidation (a marker for amino acids being used for fuel, by being turned into glucose) that requires a higher intake of amino acids to negate and preserve nitrogen balance.[9][7] Additionally, increasing protein intake above the previously defined RDA 'daily allowance' will increase protein synthesis and, at levels higher than double this total, decrease protein breakdown.[10] Increased muscular hypertrophy is seen as beneficial to sports performance.

During Weight Loss

High protein diets have been found to preserve lean body mass when dieting in both obese people[11] and athletes [12] and has also been shown to improve overall body composition[13]. A doubling of protein intake from 0.9g/kg (near the daily recommended intake for the general population) to 1.8g/kg is able to preserve lean muscle mass during short-term and relatively drastic drops in calories.[14]...
    When you say "on MFP" do you mean the computer program that everyone uses or the posters?

I should add that the numbers I gave are what actual experts advise and not necessarily what the MFP program uses. Certainly not what most posters here do. Most posters on these boards eat LOTS of protein.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

When you say "on MFP" do you mean the computer program that everyone uses or the posters?

On the forums.

You and I both know the default given by the computer program isn't gram based at all, but a percentage of total calories. (I can't remember now what it is, though, maybe 25%?)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

50g won't be anywhere near "too much" for anybody, ever.
  • Kalikel

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

You and I both know the default given by the computer program isn't gram based at all, but a percentage of total calories. (I can't remember now what it is, though, maybe 25%?)
    I didn't know that. That's why I asked.

I have said several times now that I'm aware those aren't the numbers that most people here use. Most here go for the maximum that could do anyone any good. Some go for more. And that's cool. If I liked protein foods a lot, I might so that, too. :)
  • lemurcat12

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

I have said several times now that I'm aware those aren't the numbers that most people here use. Most here go for the maximum that could do anyone any good. Some go for more. And that's cool. If I liked protein foods a lot, I might so that, too. :)

My point was that the higher number you mentioned (for athletes) IS the number usually given on the forums (some people occasionally give higher numbers and often get pushback), and that it's not just helpful for athletes, but people who are eating at a deficit and concerned about preserving muscle mass.

I'm not saying you need to eat more protein (you are an adult and not asking my opinion), but simply pointing out that I don't think the numbers that one typically sees here are out of whack with the research at all.
  • Kalikel

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

My point was that the higher number you mentioned (for athletes) IS the number usually given on the forums (some people occasionally give higher numbers and often get pushback), and that it's not just helpful for athletes, but people who are eating at a deficit and concerned about preserving muscle mass.

I'm not saying you need to eat more protein (you are an adult and not asking my opinion), but simply pointing out that I don't think the numbers that one typically sees here are out of whack with the research at all.
    Some are out of whack, some aren't. But if people want to eat excessive amounts of protein, there is no reason to "push back", IMO. It's their business and hurts nobody.

I couldn't eat that much protein. No way, no how. I have trouble with the .8/kg/day and cannot even fathom having to try to eat more than twice that amount. It would be a sad state of affairs for me, lol.
  • lemurcat12

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

Some are out of whack, some aren't. But if people want to eat excessive amounts of protein, there is no reason to "push back", IMO. It's their business and hurts nobody.

When I say "pushback" I mean that there does seem to be a belief by some that you lose weight better or otherwise will benefit from having protein be the highest percentage of calories (40-50% protein, say) or by getting more than 1 g/lb of bodyweight. If someone prefers to eat that way, I think that's fine (I sometimes tend to eat around 125 g, which is well more than I need, because I like to). But I do think people who say "I can't figure out how to meet my macros as I'm always short on protein" and it turns out they are driving themselves crazy trying to get 180 g (say a 180 lb woman trying to lose 50 lb) because a trainer said so ought to be given the information that there's probably no reason to do that.

If I were that woman, I'd appreciate such information, whether I chose to change my goals or not.