Too much protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    db56 wrote: »

Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet? The only reason I can possibly conceive for drinking overpriced waste products (whey) is if you are cutting on super low calories, where you need the extra protein for maintaining muscle.

Hey, I like a protein shake every day. Overpriced waste product? Interesting opinion you've got there. What does it matter to you if people choose to supplement their protein intake with a shake??
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.. Lots to consider.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Can you get too much protein each day? A protein drink that I like each morning has 26 grams and I would like to have one at lunch also
    Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet?

Seems like a slightly more efficient way to get protein, at least calorie wise. If all your lacking is a bit of protein for the day.

How do you calculate how much protein you need.

General rule of thumb is 0.6-0.8g or protein a day.

Per kilo or pound?
    .8g per kilogram of healthy body weight per day is the standard recommendation. For non-endurance athletes, up to like 1.7 (or maybe 1.8, I'd have to check) per kilo per day can be helpful.

More than that and they say it does you no good. But many people like to exceed that amount, anyway.

The usual recommendation on MFP is .6-.8 g/lb of bodyweight (I say .65-.85g/lb). That is essentially the same as a 1.7 g/kg recommendation. It usually assumes the person is (a) eating at a deficit and concerned with preserving lean body mass; (b) active/exercise intensely and concerned with maintaining or building lean body mass; or (c) a combination.

This is a pretty good discussion from a reputable site that gives citations and discusses the studies: http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Two other things should be noted as follow-up:

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

Protein Intake in General

The US Recommended Daily Allowance for protein[1] ranges between 46-56g for adults, depending on gender. Sometimes this number is also defined as 0.8g/kg bodyweight, if relative to weight.[1]

This is usually the lowest recommended estimate as it does not assume any extraneous conditions. It may not be sufficient for elderly persons undergoing the process of muscle loss, as inadequate amino acid intake can result in muscle mass loss to mobilize those amino acids for other uses at this level of intake.[2]

According to the International Society of Sports Nutrition, protein intakes of 1.4-2.0 g/kg of bodyweight (0.6-0.9g/lb of bodyweight) for physically active individuals is not only safe, but may improve the training adaptations to exercise training. [7]. The American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine also support high protein intake for active individuals[8] in the range of 1.2-1.7 g/kg of bodyweight (0.5-0.8 g/lb of bodyweight).

The reasons for the above tend to be increased leucine oxidation (a marker for amino acids being used for fuel, by being turned into glucose) that requires a higher intake of amino acids to negate and preserve nitrogen balance.[9][7] Additionally, increasing protein intake above the previously defined RDA 'daily allowance' will increase protein synthesis and, at levels higher than double this total, decrease protein breakdown.[10] Increased muscular hypertrophy is seen as beneficial to sports performance.

During Weight Loss

High protein diets have been found to preserve lean body mass when dieting in both obese people[11] and athletes [12] and has also been shown to improve overall body composition[13]. A doubling of protein intake from 0.9g/kg (near the daily recommended intake for the general population) to 1.8g/kg is able to preserve lean muscle mass during short-term and relatively drastic drops in calories.[14]...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Can you get too much protein each day? A protein drink that I like each morning has 26 grams and I would like to have one at lunch also
    Why the hell are you drinking protein drinks anyway? Are you an athlete? Why can't you get enough in your diet?

Seems like a slightly more efficient way to get protein, at least calorie wise. If all your lacking is a bit of protein for the day.

Per kilo or pound?
    .8g per kilogram of healthy body weight per day is the standard recommendation. For non-endurance athletes, up to like 1.7 (or maybe 1.8, I'd have to check) per kilo per day can be helpful.

More than that and they say it does you no good. But many people like to exceed that amount, anyway.

The usual recommendation on MFP is .6-.8 g/lb of bodyweight (I say .65-.85g/lb). That is essentially the same as a 1.7 g/kg recommendation. It usually assumes the person is (a) eating at a deficit and concerned with preserving lean body mass; (b) active/exercise intensely and concerned with maintaining or building lean body mass; or (c) a combination.

This is a pretty good discussion from a reputable site that gives citations and discusses the studies: http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day/
    If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

The US Recommended Daily Allowance for protein[1] ranges between 46-56g for adults, depending on gender. Sometimes this number is also defined as 0.8g/kg bodyweight, if relative to weight.[1]

This is usually the lowest recommended estimate as it does not assume any extraneous conditions. It may not be sufficient for elderly persons undergoing the process of muscle loss, as inadequate amino acid intake can result in muscle mass loss to mobilize those amino acids for other uses at this level of intake.[2]

According to the International Society of Sports Nutrition, protein intakes of 1.4-2.0 g/kg of bodyweight (0.6-0.9g/lb of bodyweight) for physically active individuals is not only safe, but may improve the training adaptations to exercise training. [7]. The American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine also support high protein intake for active individuals[8] in the range of 1.2-1.7 g/kg of bodyweight (0.5-0.8 g/lb of bodyweight).

The reasons for the above tend to be increased leucine oxidation (a marker for amino acids being used for fuel, by being turned into glucose) that requires a higher intake of amino acids to negate and preserve nitrogen balance.[9][7] Additionally, increasing protein intake above the previously defined RDA 'daily allowance' will increase protein synthesis and, at levels higher than double this total, decrease protein breakdown.[10] Increased muscular hypertrophy is seen as beneficial to sports performance.

During Weight Loss

High protein diets have been found to preserve lean body mass when dieting in both obese people[11] and athletes [12] and has also been shown to improve overall body composition[13]. A doubling of protein intake from 0.9g/kg (near the daily recommended intake for the general population) to 1.8g/kg is able to preserve lean muscle mass during short-term and relatively drastic drops in calories.[14]...
    When you say "on MFP" do you mean the computer program that everyone uses or the posters?

I should add that the numbers I gave are what actual experts advise and not necessarily what the MFP program uses. Certainly not what most posters here do. Most posters on these boards eat LOTS of protein.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

When you say "on MFP" do you mean the computer program that everyone uses or the posters?

On the forums.

You and I both know the default given by the computer program isn't gram based at all, but a percentage of total calories. (I can't remember now what it is, though, maybe 25%?)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

50g won't be anywhere near "too much" for anybody, ever.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

You and I both know the default given by the computer program isn't gram based at all, but a percentage of total calories. (I can't remember now what it is, though, maybe 25%?)
    I didn't know that. That's why I asked.

I have said several times now that I'm aware those aren't the numbers that most people here use. Most here go for the maximum that could do anyone any good. Some go for more. And that's cool. If I liked protein foods a lot, I might so that, too. :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

I have said several times now that I'm aware those aren't the numbers that most people here use. Most here go for the maximum that could do anyone any good. Some go for more. And that's cool. If I liked protein foods a lot, I might so that, too. :)

My point was that the higher number you mentioned (for athletes) IS the number usually given on the forums (some people occasionally give higher numbers and often get pushback), and that it's not just helpful for athletes, but people who are eating at a deficit and concerned about preserving muscle mass.

I'm not saying you need to eat more protein (you are an adult and not asking my opinion), but simply pointing out that I don't think the numbers that one typically sees here are out of whack with the research at all.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

My point was that the higher number you mentioned (for athletes) IS the number usually given on the forums (some people occasionally give higher numbers and often get pushback), and that it's not just helpful for athletes, but people who are eating at a deficit and concerned about preserving muscle mass.

I'm not saying you need to eat more protein (you are an adult and not asking my opinion), but simply pointing out that I don't think the numbers that one typically sees here are out of whack with the research at all.
    Some are out of whack, some aren't. But if people want to eat excessive amounts of protein, there is no reason to "push back", IMO. It's their business and hurts nobody.

I couldn't eat that much protein. No way, no how. I have trouble with the .8/kg/day and cannot even fathom having to try to eat more than twice that amount. It would be a sad state of affairs for me, lol.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

Some are out of whack, some aren't. But if people want to eat excessive amounts of protein, there is no reason to "push back", IMO. It's their business and hurts nobody.

When I say "pushback" I mean that there does seem to be a belief by some that you lose weight better or otherwise will benefit from having protein be the highest percentage of calories (40-50% protein, say) or by getting more than 1 g/lb of bodyweight. If someone prefers to eat that way, I think that's fine (I sometimes tend to eat around 125 g, which is well more than I need, because I like to). But I do think people who say "I can't figure out how to meet my macros as I'm always short on protein" and it turns out they are driving themselves crazy trying to get 180 g (say a 180 lb woman trying to lose 50 lb) because a trainer said so ought to be given the information that there's probably no reason to do that.

If I were that woman, I'd appreciate such information, whether I chose to change my goals or not.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I didn't know about the protein thing on the chart either. I've been struggling to get enough protein so I need to check it and see if it's right?

Added I just used this funky tool thing and my protein just went down by 40 - blimey. Thanks for the tips :)

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You really cannot eat too much protein. If your staying within your calorie range your are good to go. If you like eating 400 to 500 grams of protein a day then I would be worried. But people who intake 200 to 300 its quite normally especially if they are working out. And protein is just not for muscle repair, protein does so much for you and is a must for weight loss
  • Kalikel
    Options

Per kilo or pound?

During Weight Loss

On the forums.

When I say "pushback" I mean that there does seem to be a belief by some that you lose weight better or otherwise will benefit from having protein be the highest percentage of calories (40-50% protein, say) or by getting more than 1 g/lb of bodyweight. If someone prefers to eat that way, I think that's fine (I sometimes tend to eat around 125 g, which is well more than I need, because I like to). But I do think people who say "I can't figure out how to meet my macros as I'm always short on protein" and it turns out they are driving themselves crazy trying to get 180 g (say a 180 lb woman trying to lose 50 lb) because a trainer said so ought to be given the information that there's probably no reason to do that.

If I were that woman, I'd appreciate such information, whether I chose to change my goals or not.
    Agreed. People driving themselves crazy trying to reach amounts of protein they don't really need should be told what the recommendations are.

But people who just want to eat lots of protein because they think it will make their muscles bigger or they just love protein foods like I love carbs - have at it, IMO. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    For folks that do not lift weight .6 grams per lbs of LBM is sufficient. If you lift weights regularly than should aim for .8 to 1 gram per lbs LBM to preserve muscle mass.
    For the keto diet, if it takes you 2-3 weeks to get back in to ketosis then you clearly dont know what you are doing. Gl

Phinney is quoted often with this diet. Not sure, other then his experience with diet and helping people by writing books, doing blogs, discussion panels where he would be less then a credit worthy source. Then again. . . .

• randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I try to eat about 30 grams of protein a meal myself to make sure I don't eat too little. I am 5'3 and do not exercise to give you a background.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    I didn't know about the protein thing on the chart either. I've been struggling to get enough protein so I need to check it and see if it's right?

Added I just used this funky tool thing and my protein just went down by 40 - blimey. Thanks for the tips :)

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/

That tool seems to be a pos. I checked my protein recommendation and it was the same for sedentary as very active. It was also half of what is generally recommended for exercising individuals.
  • corsiva
    corsiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No athlete here but I love my protein shake in the morning! For me, it takes the guess work out of breakfast, in addition to being yummy and nutritious. In fact, it tastes just like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake! Additionally, it keeps me well filled until lunch.

What kind do you use?