Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Who is @Girl_With_Muscles_ and why is she so unpopular? :lol:

seriously though if you're feeling like it's less of a "family" feeling, less welcoming, less warmth and togetherness etc etc etc

it may be time to move on. you might be done with mfp.
    I confess that I think at one point or another you can get really caught up in somewhere like this, especially if you're not in a particularly fantastic place in your personal life. I've been there myself.

I've found that I have a much better time here when I don't take it all too seriously. Enjoy it for what it is: a way to talk to people you'd likely never have spoken to otherwise, the best of humour, the crazies, talented trolls, not-so- talented trolls, ability to listen to all sorts of accents, good advice, not-so-good advice, a place to post your terrible jokes, a place to ask lawyers questions and have them answer 100% honestly and finally.. a FREE fitness/weight loss app.

The best advice I can give is that if you start finding this place getting you down, leave, take a break, do what makes you happy.

If mfp is becoming that important to you, where you are getting feelings like that, I think it might be a good idea to examine your life, really do some soul searching and find out what and where the void is that you are using mfp to fill. If you can fix that, then mfp will be what it should be....a free internet fitness weight management site with some good time wasting forums and some good/fun people to talk to. Or dumb people to argue with. But it's the Internet remember. And real life should be a better place than here. I had to step back and make some changes in my own life when I had this realization awhile ago. (((Hugs)))) Good luck!

I have often thought MFP is a detriment to someone's well being as much as it is supposed to help. Sure food logging and exercise accountability is great. Experiencing other people's struggles that match your own can be very helpful and give needed strength. But this place loses me when people try to force it to be more than that. When they feed off the adulation of others that mindlessly hand out compliments like participation trophies.....when they start believing the hype and start talking to others as if they have become super human and condescend.......when their very existence and mood becomes dependant on comments regarding a pic or a post.....when the skin becomes so thin that mere disagreement becomes an attack......

I mentor underprivileged and mostly minority youths. It's very hard to help them to understand the principles of being of strong character even and especially when nobody is looking. No need to get or give false compliments just for accolades. You will never reach your potential being lied to, and it's unfair to lie to others just to avoid being uncomfortable and look for the what a nice guy tag. The dishonesty will not help even if it's delivered with a smile. This very principle is mangled here to the point no matter how many compliments some get here it's never enough. Even one difference of opinion ruins their day because their whole self esteem value is built on validation of others. This happens way too much here. Nobody is perfect, and you can't please everybody nor should you try.

Respect can be given with a differing opinion. No need to name call or curse someone out if you don't agree. And if you don't find someone "hot" or a "10" there no need to say they're ugly, there is no need to comment at all, someone will inevitably find them as such.

I agree with most of this but would add that this is definitely not a mfp exclusive issue. Self esteem issues is as you know pandemic in society. There will be no resolution until the individual finds and fixes the foundation of their confidence. We are always too quick to blame society and media and generally everyone else for self esteem issues when the simple fact is that it must always come from within.

I'm a people watcher and I have seen it over and over. Mfp fills that void. It takes over. A person starts to feel confident, accepted, beautiful/handsome and if that sense of identity isn't stroked enough those feeling fade fast. I think that's why mfp is like that with everyone complimenting everyone and going overboard. People are trying to fill that need within themselves. I hope that when people realize this, that the compliments and excessive seeking for acceptance/adulation are demonstrating a lack of something within themselves, that they can learn and reevaluate their lives to help conquer that emptiness and truly become the person that they feel like they are on mfp. If that makes sense. :)

bnmuio.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    IC, there was a whole box of Cinnabon minis at the house this morning and I literally had to pull myself away and leave so I didn't eat all of them. ALL. OF. THEM.

*sigh* I have an addiction.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    IC, there was a whole box of Cinnabon minis at the house this morning and I literally had to pull myself away and leave so I didn't eat all of them. ALL. OF. THEM.

*sigh* I have an addiction.

I don't think I would have the strength to walk away.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I confess I am liking this cool, cloudy weather in June.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I confess I've been suffering some serious vanity issues this morning, worrying about how I'll look once the rest of this weight comes off.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    FeraFilia wrote: »
    I confess I've been suffering some serious vanity issues this morning, worrying about how I'll look once the rest of this weight comes off.

Ahh but imagine how you'll feel!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I confess I am kinda digging Luis Fonsi and Bieber's new song Despacito and have been singing it in my head most of the day.. except for the part of the day when I was singing "I like big butts and I can not lie".
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I confess that I really am tempted to skip the gym tonight because I have the house to myself all evening and just want to make a dinner (that I like) and have a glass of wine and relax.
  • FelinaDC
    FelinaDC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I confess I'm wondering how sex will be now that I'm more.. ummm...limber? :D
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    gianna42 wrote: »
    I confess that I really am tempted to skip the gym tonight because I have the house to myself all evening and just want to make a dinner (that I like) and have a glass of wine and relax.

Sounds amazing!
  • mrwineismybf
    mrwineismybf Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I confess I did the yard work even though I coulda put my boys to work...but felt good...now what other "manly" job can I accomplish today...how bout drinking a beer and telling everyone to f-off...I'd be super good at that :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    I confess I am kinda digging Luis Fonsi and Bieber's new song Despacito and have been singing it in my head most of the day.. except for the part of the day when I was singing "I like big butts and I can not lie".

I know you were thinking about my butt.

You know I am always thinking about your butt and your two toned *kittens*...
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

@FeraFilia I think @MrStabbems is imagining how you will feel ;):D

Hopefully it's better for him than it was for me.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

@FeraFilia I think @MrStabbems is imagining how you will feel ;):D

hey! @lstrat115 I only care about how ppl feel on the inside!

...wait. Dammit.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    :D:D
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    gianna42 wrote: »

Why not both?:):)

I confess that I still basically have no idea what I'm doing when I go to the gym
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I confess I wish I weren't such a cry baby. I've cried way too much, even at the stupidist things. I read something on here today that made me ball. (Or is it bawl?)
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I confess I'm super tired of constantly being busy