Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    Yeah... no. Believe what you will.

Best wishes.

BTW, your studies show a body weight decrease which makes sense due to water loss. Says nothing about fat loss. Secondly, most of the studies didn't have calories controlled in both groups. Thirdly, the several studies say that the groups didn't stick to their diets towards the end of the study. These studies don't prove anything...

This brings up another benefit of low carb diets, the diet naturally reduces salt and watér retention which helps with blood pressure levels and edema!

Got high blood pressure and feel all puffy? Carb levels may be something to investigate to help solve these.

Isn't this the reason a low carb dieter has a recommendation of 5000 mg of sodium a day instead of the 2300 mg on MFP?
    I'm not sure how increasing my sodium reduces my blood pressure.

Salt is cleared from your body at a much faster rate when you are in ketosis, that's part of the reason people feel poorly when they switch their diets - low serum salt levels.

So isn't it recommended you consume greater amounts of sodium on this diet?

Yes. Your body is clearing out sodium at a faster rate so someone eating very low carb will need about 5000mg of salt per day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    In the short term you may lose weight faster on a low carb high fat diet and eating at a deficit than f you just ate at a deficit. After a year the losses mostly even out.
    I would like to know if combine calorie counting with low carb will I lose faster

It will not. Low carb is a fad. You just need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

No, it is not a fad. It is a way of eating. And you are incorrect, combining LCHF with a calorie deficit does usually cause faster weight loss. It is not by a huge amount, but it is faster.

It's a fad diet. ;)

It's been a long lived fad... It faded in popularity for a few decades when i was young but, it is a pretty long lived fad.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Keto absolutely wiped out my energy levels. It was brutal. Tried it for nearly a year, and it never got better.

Keto and running/cycling at triathlon distances is just ****ing brutal.

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Are you magic? 1200 is bottom of the barrel acceptable. Everyone loses weight at that calorie deficit.

No, no they don't.

You try being a very short, menopausal, hypothyroid woman and then come back and tell me that's true.

I am very short with insulin resistance. Seriously. 1200 calories is what toddlers eat. How did you figure out your BMR? And other sorts of questions which you'd probably not want to entertain from me.

Other than derailing this thread, I don't mind answering any sincere questions. Isn't that the purpose of this board?

To estimate my BMR I mostly use this site. I also wear a Fitbit Charge HR to estimate my TDEE. I'm not sure either of them are sophisticated enough to account for the effect hypothyroidism has on an individual's BMR.

Lest you think I'm a wet-behind-the-ears-newbie at weight loss, let me give you my history: About 27 years ago I Iost 64 pounds. And I successfully kept almost all of it off for about 26 years and through two pregnancies. How did I do that, you ask? By weighing, measuring and logging. So I certainly know how to do all that, and I know it works for people who don't have any underlying medical issue(s) that affects their metabolism. I'm not new to this by any stretch of the imagination. When I tell you that for two months I have only been maintaining on an average of slightly less than 1200 accurately weighed/measured/logged calories a day that's the truth.

I'm hopeful that given a bit more time my medication will get to work (or my doctor will adjust it) and I'll be able to lose on that calorie intake. Because, yes -- in theory it certainly should work.

And to keep this reply at least a bit on topic -- When I lost weight years ago I did it by eating high carb/low fat. My age may affect this some, but I have to say that lowish carb seems to make it much easier for me to control my hunger and cravings.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    rwhyte12 wrote: »
    I've lost 21 pounds in five weeks changing the composition of my diet. I eat around 100 grams of carbs, 50 to 60 grams of fat, low sugar (nothing refined) and 80 to 100 grams of protein. Before that, I was just eating 1200 calories a day and gaining weight. It's nice to see it all go as I was exercising and eating a calorie restricted diet but the composition of my previous diet (too high in carbs, too low in good fats and protein) was really not that great for my weight. Good luck. Try to see how your body feels as you change around the composition of your diet.

Are you magic? 1200 is bottom of the barrel acceptable. Everyone loses weight at that calorie deficit.

Yep, but my weight didn't move before I changed the composition of my eating at 1200 calories. It was pretty confusing. Until I spoke with a dietician, I was eating really low fat and so instead I was gaining.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat 25g carbs, 70g fat and 100g protein a day also do 5:2 fast of 500 cals. Losing weight, arthritis gone, cholic pain gone, haven't had a cold for 2 years. Works for me

THat's awesome.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I went very low carb (<50 grams daily) and very high fat with medium protein. Arthritic pain management was my only objective and achieved it in just 30 days of cutting out most all foods containing sugar and all grains. Losing about 1.5 pounds monthly and 40 years of serious IBS resolved about 4 months after I ditched most all forms of carbs. Many other positive side effects as well. Just under 200 pounds for first time in 22 years and eating about 2600 calories daily. Everyone is different but LCHF is my choice for my remaining years.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I eat a low carb high protein diet as it keeps me fuller for longer, and also as I eat gluten free I tend to try and stay clear of the gluten ready made processed food.

Unless you have a diagnosed intolerance/medical condition, gluten is not harmful.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Unless you have a diagnosed intolerance/medical condition, gluten is not harmful.

or necessary.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    Also curious as to how "one gram" if a carbohydrate could hold "three grams" of water.

Glycogen is the storage form of glucose, it's a polymer stored in a hydrated form (solution ?) hence the extra water - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615908
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Also curious as to how "one gram" if a carbohydrate could hold "three grams" of water.

Glycogen is the storage form of glucose, it's a polymer stored in a hydrated form (solution ?) hence the extra water - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615908

Yup. The glycogen doesn't hold the water, so much as the solution your body makes to have somewhere to PUT the glycogen (in your muscles, mainly) consists of 1g of glycogen and 3g of water. Having high carbohydrate levels in your diet (and thus your body) means your body has to hold a a bunch of extra water to keep all that stuff in solution.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I eat a low carb high protein diet as it keeps me fuller for longer, and also as I eat gluten free I tend to try and stay clear of the gluten ready made processed food.

I do have a medically diagnosed gluten and wheat intolerance with CD symptoms, so for me gluten makes me ill.

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Yup. The glycogen doesn't hold the water, so much as the solution your body makes to have somewhere to PUT the glycogen (in your muscles, mainly) consists of 1g of glycogen and 3g of water. Having high carbohydrate levels in your diet (and thus your body) means your body has to hold a a bunch of extra water to keep all that stuff in solution.

Now the science works, when explained that way. Thanks!