Replies

• HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've never tried bacon!
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    -If I pop my knuckles (or my husbands) I have to do both hands or I feel like a mad woman.

-I hate to sit with my back to a window or door, even in my own house.

-I'm constantly worried people are talking trash about me (coworkers, friends, family, etc)

-I would go out unbathed and nasty before I would let my daughter go out even looking unkempt (she is 14 months old.)

-I have been saved for 6 years and aspire to be a Youth/Young Adult pastor one day.

-I can bend the toe beside my smallest toe all the way backwards until it touches my foot.

-I've been on medication for high blood pressure since I was 15!! Meep!!!
  • SniffyDoodle
    SniffyDoodle Posts: 129
    Options
    I have one attached and one detached ear lobe. So does my son. and father. and grandfather.

I am so surprised to see this here. I do too, but I'm the only person in my family with this and until now I was convinced I was the only person in the world with this. lol
  • betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm opposite of a hoarder. I throw away everything. Maybe it's because I've moved 14 times in the past 18 years. :) Oh and I am 5' 10" and I hated being tall when I was a teenager but as an adult I think it rocks.
  • oceanmistcali
    oceanmistcali Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can translate word for word what people with down's syndrome are trying to say to you. I've had to do that on more than one occasion.

I have had this happen a few times one of the girls I babysat for told me she had to go to the doctor and I asked why. she described what her problem was and I said sound like tonsillitis. I gave her some popsicles. she came back the next day and said you were right that is what the doctor said.

my stepdad fell off a roof and mentioned needing to go to the doctor I said what happened he showed me the spot he hurt. I said you broke your radial bone in your elbow. that was what the doctor told him the next day.

a friend of mine in Indiana said I need to go to the doctor to get a cat scan. I said you don't need that you have a migraine headache from drinking nutra sweet. when I was in the waiting room waiting for her she came back and told me I was correct.

while I couldn't make the grade to become one I can help people.
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh man, there are so many "odd" things about me.. I'll just regale you with a few though

- I have Sensory Overload Disorder. Everyone can get overloaded by too much stimulation, but it happens much easier with people with SOD. For example, if I'm trying to study, I can deal with people talking around me, music OR tv. If there is more than one of these going on at once, my brain decides it can't handle it and feels like it's filled with static. It can happen with any of the major senses, but for me it's just sound.

- I'm an Empath and I hate it. While I've been able to be a great "therapist" because of this ability, I really wish I could turn it off. When your day can go from great to ****ty just because of some random person's bad mood, it kinda sucks. I need to learn to control this ability but it's only been in the past few years that I learned that feeling what I feel doesn't happen to everyone. I often wonder if this and my previous odd fact are connected.

- Before I injured my back a few years ago, I could easily put both of my legs behind my head. I can still easily place my palms flat on the ground with my feet together. I can also easily put my forehead to my feet when sitting in a butterfly. the only reason I can't put my forehead to my legs is because of my boobs. Because of these, my college volleyball teacher once made the comment "Wow. Fatty is flexible!" (there were people 1/3 of my size struggling to touch the tips of their fingers to their toes while they legs were shoulder width apart).

- Oh yeah, the best for last.... I can watch any horror movie you throw at me and not flinch but if you try to make we watch Jurassic Park, I will start crying. Freaking TERRIFIED of that movie.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I have synesthesia. I see and think colors when I hear music. If the colors are in my desired color range, I will enjoy them. If they aren't, I will never, ever, learn to like them. I also get taste sensations from certain songs. Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Change Partners" is always a soft, fuzzy shade of pink and tastes like bubble gum or cotton candy. Nasally country music tastes like metal and comes in as puky, greenish, yellow mustard. Always. The 3/4 time signature (think waltz) is my favorite, favorite time signature because it always puts me in instant relaxation mode.

Umm, yeah totally thought it was normal to put colors, and flavors to music. I have done this my whole life, and have taught my son to see colors with music too.

I am also ambidextrous, however I will write only with my left hand... my kindergarten teacher told my parents to make me choose a hand to show me how to hold my paper. Since both my parents are left-handed I write with my left. I will bowl, pitch, and bat right-handed. I will use either hand to eat with (depends who I am sitting next to so I don't bump elbows). I can still write equally well right handed, and I can write in mirror image with both hands at the same time.

I am terrified of the ocean, and spiders. My hands sweat at the thought of them, and my blood pressure spikes!

I was born without any wisdom teeth, and when they removed my galbladder four years ago it was on the left side of my body, by my stomach, not the right over my liver.
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

My most interesting fact:

I have synesthesia. I see and think colors when I hear music. If the colors are in my desired color range, I will enjoy them. If they aren't, I will never, ever, learn to like them. I also get taste sensations from certain songs. Crosby, Stills and Nash's "Change Partners" is always a soft, fuzzy shade of pink and tastes like bubble gum or cotton candy. Nasally country music tastes like metal and comes in as puky, greenish, yellow mustard. Always. The 3/4 time signature (think waltz) is my favorite, favorite time signature because it always puts me in instant relaxation mode.

I'm obsessed (well, not really, just very interested) with Synesthesia! Just the concept alone is amazing to me. I know a lot of people suffer for having it, but I can only imagine how cool it could be for those that don't suffer. It is also one of the few psychological/mental disorders that can be recreated in a non-"sufferer".
  • strawberrychild
    Options
    I talk in strange foreign accents without even noticing during a conversation. (and no I do not have a personality disorder). I don't even think about it and just happens and all my friends have accepted it now sadly.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I crack my jaw several times a day
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Played classical violin for 7 years, starting at age 5 and quitting when it was no longer "cool." I still have my violin and don't remember a thing.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Before a migraine, my knuckles get really stiff.
    My worst habit is saying "punk" and "knucklehead" in 100% serious conversations.
    I can't have the radio on in the car if I'm going over 40 mph.
    I attract mosquitoes like nobody's business.
    I can't move two of the toes on my right foot because I once broke them (and an additional toe) after kicking a beachball.
    I hate watching basketball because the sounds of the sneakers on the floor freaks me out.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My DNA is replete with recessive alleles.
  • betterthanbefpre
    betterthanbefpre Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I talk in strange foreign accents without even noticing during a conversation. (and no I do not have a personality disorder). I don't even think about it and just happens and all my friends have accepted it now sadly.

My sister in law does this. Hilarious!! The first time I met her she broke out in a English accent. It caught me off guard because she's from North Carolina. LOL! I just speak southern. ;)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I like to vacuum nekkid

I was invited to try out for the Olympic baseball team in 1984, at 14, for the 1988 Olympics. I tore my rotator cuff, and that ended my dream.

I am a published amateur photographer, but have not touched a camera for over a year
    the unusual thing about this is that you like vacuuming.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I scuba dove one night with a sea lion...who was sad when I left.

I collect socks
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I was born with one kidney... so was my mother.

you look exactly like a friend of mine who was born with 3 kidneys
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I see dead people.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

My most interesting fact:

I'm obsessed (well, not really, just very interested) with Synesthesia! Just the concept alone is amazing to me. I know a lot of people suffer for having it, but I can only imagine how cool it could be for those that don't suffer. It is also one of the few psychological/mental disorders that can be recreated in a non-"sufferer".

With all due respect, my synesthesia (along with most other forms of it) is not a "mental illness" or disorder. It is a cross-sensory process, in which our individual senses have somehow become cross-programmed by the neurological development and pathways created during our childhood. Granted, I wasn't fully aware of my synesthesia until later on in life, but research suggests children as young as two are known to experience it.

I don't suffer from it, and it hasn't affected my intellectual functioning, thereby it is not a disability, either. In fact, most synesthetes have higher than normal standard intelligence and tend to be very creative and artistic. We tend to gravitate towards the arts (in my case, my creativity makes me an exceptional writing and poetry teacher, as I have the gift of painting pictures from words and music "in my head" and relaying those images to my students -- which helps them develop their powers of creativity)

If you are fascinated it, feel free to read more on the subject, as synesthesia is a fascinating topic and has so many different variations to it, that people who have it might not be aware of it because our minds are that complicated.

:smile: