21 day detox of meat

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Both the trainer's idea and the idea that you would notice a difference in two days are lacking in substance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

No. If your goals are weight or fitness related there is no reason to give up meat. Meat is a good source of protein.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There is value in dropping meat, especially red meats from your diet. 21 days is pretty pointless unless you want to stop eating meat long term... And you can't really "detox" from anything unless you've literally ingested substances that require medical attention.
  • naturallykinky
    naturallykinky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The trainer said to DETOX giving up meat would do this. No he did not review what I had been eating. I am not rushing the weight loss, I just thought I would see a difference. I'm not hungry however, trying to figure out something to eat with no meat is not easy when I LOVE chicken. I could eat that everyday, I even asked him what about bake chicken or fish. His answer was that it takes 4 days for chicken to go through and 8 days for steak to go through, if you know what I mean. (lol)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    The trainer said to DETOX giving up meat would do this. No he did not review what I had been eating. I am not rushing the weight loss, I just thought I would see a difference. I'm not hungry however, trying to figure out something to eat with no meat is not easy when I LOVE chicken. I could eat that everyday, I even asked him what about bake chicken or fish. His answer was that it takes 4 days for chicken to go through and 8 days for steak to go through, if you know what I mean. (lol)
    He's stealing your money and your time.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Fire him immediately, he has no clue what he's talking about.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Anyone who is making diet recommendations for weight loss and health without looking at your previous intake is an idiot. Unless you're having problems with constipation, why does it matter how long it is taking your body to break down the meat? Also, it takes less than 4 hours in a normal body to digest a chicken breast so I don't know where he's getting his information. What other sources of protein did he recommend?

Eat a caloric deficit and be patient. It takes time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The man is an idiot

Get rid
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

Save your bank account and your sanity: ditch him.

Some food takes up to three days. So what? You're gonna stop eating altogether?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Your trainer is an idiot.

Find a new one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

I have the soul of a vegan in the body of an omnivore. Sigh. But I digress.

Ask your trainer for some links to what the purpose of this meat detox is.

Has he tried to sell you protein powder?

LOL

What on earth does that mean?

I support the vegan philosophy of rejecting the commodity status of animals but when I lived in communities where the diet was pretty much vegan, my body really missed the animal protein.

How I resolve the conflict is by buying meat that was humanely raised. That makes me a Protectionist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Ethical_veganism

Ethical veganism is based on opposition to speciesism, the assignment of value to individuals on the basis of species membership alone. There is a division within animal rights theory between rights-based (deontological) and utilitarian (consequentialist) approaches, and another division between protectionism, which pursues improved conditions for animals, and abolitionism, which seeks to end human ownership of non-humans. Abolitionists argue that protectionism serves only to make the public feel that animal use can be morally unproblematic (the "happy meat" position). Rights-theorists tend to be abolitionist and utilitarians protectionist.[173][174]
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha. I'm gonna go eat some chicken and read the rest of these replies as they roll in.
    Ha...hahaha. Toxins, 4 days for chicken to go through..wth? And no results in 2 days? Is this a serious inquiry or just trollin?

Oh Mondays....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    The man is an idiot

Get rid

ASAP
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Those antelopes should sue those lions for violating their rights. Mother of Zod.

The ocean is one big sharkiarchy and the food chain is discriminatory. LOL.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have the soul of a vegan in the body of an omnivore. Sigh. But I digress.

Ask your trainer for some links to what the purpose of this meat detox is.

Has he tried to sell you protein powder?

LOL

What on earth does that mean?

I support the vegan philosophy of rejecting the commodity status of animals but when I lived in communities where the diet was pretty much vegan, my body really missed the animal protein.

How I resolve the conflict is by buying meat that was humanely raised. That makes me a Protectionist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Ethical_veganism

Ethical veganism is based on opposition to speciesism, the assignment of value to individuals on the basis of species membership alone. There is a division within animal rights theory between rights-based (deontological) and utilitarian (consequentialist) approaches, and another division between protectionism, which pursues improved conditions for animals, and abolitionism, which seeks to end human ownership of non-humans. Abolitionists argue that protectionism serves only to make the public feel that animal use can be morally unproblematic (the "happy meat" position). Rights-theorists tend to be abolitionist and utilitarians protectionist.[173][174]

I have to ask...is there an unethical veganism?

I don't think many people choose which animals to eat based on Speciesism. All the meat eaters I know (including myself) choose our animals based on Tastyism.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Where do fitness trainers get off thinking they're registered dieticians anyway?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

How does he purport to know this? What is his source? Digestion of anything does take time, but there is no set time by food. Steak does not take the same amount of time for everyone to digeat/eliminate. Many thing affect digestion. According to the folks at the Mayo Clinic, the average time is 53 hours or less. And let's face it, they are probably more likely to know than your trainer. ;)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340