21 day detox of meat

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The trainer said to DETOX giving up meat would do this. No he did not review what I had been eating. I am not rushing the weight loss, I just thought I would see a difference. I'm not hungry however, trying to figure out something to eat with no meat is not easy when I LOVE chicken. I could eat that everyday, I even asked him what about bake chicken or fish. His answer was that it takes 4 days for chicken to go through and 8 days for steak to go through, if you know what I mean. (lol)

OMG. No. Your trainer is stupidsauce.

omg- wow I just read the 4 days for chicken to go through part of this- I really just wanted to quote your stupidsauce comment- because yeah- he's extra with the stupid sauce.

Go to five guys- you'll be dropping that deuce mighty quick- unless you're backed up- there is no way it's taking 4-8 days for food to go through your system-that's one of the most asinine things I've heard all day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Being vegan as a fad diet makes it unethical....?

I don't understand.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I have to ask...is there an unethical veganism?

Perhaps someone who "eats a vegan diet," but still wears leather chaps? Idon'tevenknow.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

I have the soul of a vegan in the body of an omnivore. Sigh. But I digress.

Ask your trainer for some links to what the purpose of this meat detox is.

Has he tried to sell you protein powder?

LOL

What on earth does that mean?

I support the vegan philosophy of rejecting the commodity status of animals but when I lived in communities where the diet was pretty much vegan, my body really missed the animal protein.

How I resolve the conflict is by buying meat that was humanely raised. That makes me a Protectionist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Ethical_veganism

Ethical veganism is based on opposition to speciesism, the assignment of value to individuals on the basis of species membership alone. There is a division within animal rights theory between rights-based (deontological) and utilitarian (consequentialist) approaches, and another division between protectionism, which pursues improved conditions for animals, and abolitionism, which seeks to end human ownership of non-humans. Abolitionists argue that protectionism serves only to make the public feel that animal use can be morally unproblematic (the "happy meat" position). Rights-theorists tend to be abolitionist and utilitarians protectionist.[173][174]

I don't think many people choose which animals to eat based on Speciesism. All the meat eaters I know (including myself) choose our animals based on Tastyism.

You could say that militant vegans that perform acts of eco terrorism are unethical.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

LOL

I support the vegan philosophy of rejecting the commodity status of animals but when I lived in communities where the diet was pretty much vegan, my body really missed the animal protein.

How I resolve the conflict is by buying meat that was humanely raised. That makes me a Protectionist.

Ethical veganism is based on opposition to speciesism, the assignment of value to individuals on the basis of species membership alone. There is a division within animal rights theory between rights-based (deontological) and utilitarian (consequentialist) approaches, and another division between protectionism, which pursues improved conditions for animals, and abolitionism, which seeks to end human ownership of non-humans. Abolitionists argue that protectionism serves only to make the public feel that animal use can be morally unproblematic (the "happy meat" position). Rights-theorists tend to be abolitionist and utilitarians protectionist.[173][174]

So why are you still an omnivore?
    Meat tastes better than her moral superiority feels.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Being vegan as a fad diet makes it unethical....?

I don't understand.

Being vegan as a fad diet means it's not being done for ethical reasons, so not ethical as opposed to unethical.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    His answer was that it takes 4 days for chicken to go through and 8 days for steak to go through, if you know what I mean. (lol)
    tumblr_m6pid35QyH1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
  • kshama2001
    Options

LOL

I don't think many people choose which animals to eat based on Speciesism. All the meat eaters I know (including myself) choose our animals based on Tastyism.

Or Carnism ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnism

Carnism is a term used by psychologist Melanie Joy and others to describe the ideology that supports the use of animals for food, including meat. The argument holds that carnism is a dominant belief system supported by a variety of defence mechanisms and mostly unchallenged assumptions.[1][2][3][4] Joy coined the term in 2001 and developed the idea in her book Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows (2009).[5][6][7]

Central to the ideology, according to this view, is the acceptance of meat-eating as "natural, normal, necessary, and nice."[n 1] An important feature of carnism is the classification of only particular species of animal as food, and the acceptance of practices toward those animals that would be rejected as unacceptable cruelty if applied to other species. This classification is culturally relative, so that, for example, dogs are eaten in China but may be family members in the West, while cows are eaten in the West but protected in much of India.[1]

Another aspect is known as the meat paradox, namely that most people care about animals but embrace diets that involve harming them.[1][n 2] Psychologists suggest that this conflict between beliefs and behavior leads to cognitive dissonance, which they say meat-eaters relieve by avoiding consideration of the provenance of animal products, and by ascribing reduced sentience, cognitive ability and moral standing to animals they regard as food.[17][11][18]
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    ok...can we all please stop derailing this thread and go back to talk about how absolutely idiotic this trainer man is????

Please. Can we go back to trying to save OP from her totally useless trainer?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

ok...can we all please stop derailing this thread and go back to talk about how absolutely idiotic this trainer man is????

I want to meet this dude. Also, can I start using "stupidsauce?" That made me LOL

Edit: BBC was misbehaving.
  • kshama2001
    Options

LOL

So why are you still an omnivore?
    Meat tastes better than her moral superiority feels.

No, it wasn't like I was constructing a dish, tasting it, thinking "this needs umami" and adding soy sauce (or not being able to add soy sauce.) It wasn't the taste I missed. I have lots of vegan meals in my repertoire. But if I go too long without animal protein, my body misses it.
  • kshama2001
    Options

How many more times does it need to be said?

Furthermore, I would argue that discussing reasons for not eating meat is on point.
  • naturallykinky
    naturallykinky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    37932974.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Good point
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.

I would encourage you to do better research before doing something like this. If you're going to make a lifestyle change, that's fine and you'll find plenty of support....but the media is not a good source of knowledge for nutrition. Check out some peer reviewed science and make your decision based on that.