21 day detox of meat

Options

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.

Welp I wish you and your whack trainer the very best of luck in you giving him all your money.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to do at least 10 days of no meat just to see if my body feels different or not. Regardless to what the trainer says, this may just become a way of eating for me in the future. There's so much media that shows meat not being good for you, I just want to see if my body changes for the good.

For what it is worth, I personally felt a lot better eating no meat than I did when I still ate meat. My parents never fed me "store" meat like most as my family consists of hunters so I always had access to high quality leaner meats like oryx, auodad, elk, antelope, wild turkeys, etc so the difference couldn't really just be attributed to eating poor quality fatty mass farmed animals that have been pumped up with more hormones and antibiotics than who even knows what lol.

Try happy herbivore for some good easy recipes that are simple to adjust for your needs. I love her cookbooks and blog. She is vegan but like I said you can adapt as needed. Be cognizant to eat enough protein. It's very easy for me to get 70-80 grams without thinking about it now, but you do need to be mindful at first.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

For what it is worth, I personally felt a lot better eating no meat than I did when I still ate meat. My parents never fed me "store" meat like most as my family consists of hunters so I always had access to high quality leaner meats like oryx, auodad, elk, antelope, wild turkeys, etc so the difference couldn't really just be attributed to eating poor quality fatty mass farmed animals that have been pumped up with more hormones and antibiotics than who even knows what lol.

Try happy herbivore for some good easy recipes that are simple to adjust for your needs. I love her cookbooks and blog. She is vegan but like I said you can adapt as needed. Be cognizant to eat enough protein. It's very easy for me to get 70-80 grams without thinking about it now, but you do need to be mindful at first.

^This is a good point. There are several reasons to not eat meat, although it's going to be personal really. And just because you stop eating meat doesn't mean you're going to lose weight.

Eat in a calorie deficit, and eat the foods that help you meet your goals.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    The trainer said to DETOX giving up meat would do this. No he did not review what I had been eating. I am not rushing the weight loss, I just thought I would see a difference. I'm not hungry however, trying to figure out something to eat with no meat is not easy when I LOVE chicken. I could eat that everyday, I even asked him what about bake chicken or fish. His answer was that it takes 4 days for chicken to go through and 8 days for steak to go through, if you know what I mean. (lol)

OMG. No. Your trainer is stupidsauce.

lol Yes, the trainer is stupidsauce. I absolutely laughed out loud at "stupidsauce," shell1005.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

@ naturallykinky - what's your plan for alternative sources of protein?

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@ naturallykinky - what's your plan for alternative sources of protein?

Good luck. I already asked twice.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up meat for your own reasons, that's fine. But I do suggest that you do your research so that you know how and why you're doing this. And so that you don't accidentally spread any misinformation about your chosen lifestyle.

I would also recommend double-checking absolutely everything your trainer says about nutrition from now on. Starting with where they go their credentials and how up-to-date their information is.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Being vegan as a fad diet makes it unethical....?

I don't understand.

Being vegan as a fad diet means it's not being done for ethical reasons, so not ethical as opposed to unethical.

Ah, gotcha. A judgemental label to increase tribalism - cool!

:drinker:

I have zero issue with vegetarianism - go through occasional stretches myself - was just trying to get current on nomenclature.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think you need a 21 day detox of your PT.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I just started working out with a trainer, he suggested that I drop eating meat for 21 days. I started this on Saturday, I'm not hungry, not missing meat either BUT, I haven't lost any weight since Saturday. I have walked five miles since Saturday, and I can't tell any difference. Do you think giving up meat for 21 days is worth it?

I think there is absolutely no value at all in removing meat from your diet and if your trainer called it a detox you should laugh in his face

Seconded.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'd be asking credentials real quick... I already have an awkward food allergy type thing I'm not about to remove foods that are pretty much a safe bet to eat.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

If you're going through with it be sure to get enough protein to support your physical goals- read up on vegetarian sources and plan them into your eating. Don't just cut out meat, replace it with alternative sources of protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

There's a problem with listening to just the media's summary of a study - the conclusions that the study's authors draw often differ from the media spin. I remember hearing on the radio something about red meat not being good for you. But it turned out that the people with ill effects weren't eating vegetables. So, was it the presence of red meat that was the problem or the absence of vegetables?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Going meatless for ten days or a lifetime won't hurt you. You just have to get your protein from other sources. Vegetarian diets can be as healthy or healthier than meat-eaters, but you need to put some thought into it.

I suggest getting your dietary advice from someone who is licensed to give it.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Meat is premium nutrition for you body. Nothing against vegans or vegetarians choosing a meat free diet. I take issue with health and fitness professionals giving advice to avoid an entire food group without any science behind it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP---go to your trainer for the next session; give him a pearl and steak, two pearls on a string with chicken, and 3 pearls on a string with Five Guys. Once he consumes the food and the pearls ask him to watch for which group pops out first. Next day, call him and fire him. Seriously, 4 days for the chicken?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP---go to your trainer for the next session; give him a pearl and steak, two pearls on a string with chicken, and 3 pearls on a string with Five Guys. Once he consumes the food and the pearls ask him to watch for which group pops out first. Next day, call him and fire him. Seriously, 4 days for the chicken?

Brilliant.
    7a4no01bkr7c.gif