I am getting discouraged! I haven't lost a single pound!

Options

Replies

• 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Since it is your first week, you ate out twice on one day, which probably increased your sodium levels and held on to the increased water you are drinking. Also, if you look up what you eat when you go out to eat, you will be shocked at the hidden calories in restaurant meals..

As for the amount of calories you are eating, give your MD a call and ask him how he feels about you eating 800 calories a day. Many doctors don't see that as a problem, where others do. But at 800 calories your food choices are crucial in order to get adequate protein!
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try adding pop back in. Pop has bubbles in it that help make you lighter. That's why they raise to the top. The liquid you just expel naturally. Its what my mom always used to say. Except we call it Soda.

i seriously hope this post is a joke...
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    I can't view your diary but based on what you're saying, you're eating too few calories per day and you're putting your body in 'starvation mode' which slows up your metabolism and makes you hold on to stored fat. You need to increase your caloric intake to at least 1200 calories per day.

To add just a little to this. You eat more often too.. I know how you feel with not feeling like there is room for more food at the end of the day. But what I started was breaking my meals up in to smaller sizes and eating like 6 times day. And that has helped me up my calories to 1200. And it has completely helped with my weightloss and my energy levels!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Bluntly put....

You're doing it WRONG.

1. Eat more
    2. You've barely given a healthy lifestyle a chance.

Change your mindset. You either want it, or you dont.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    im with everyone else though eat a few more calories... if you eat too few you body know its not going to get much so it stores most of what you eat as fat in case it needs it later... when you give your body what it needs then it burns it off and uses it instead of storing it. Also getting out and playing with your son is awesome, but its not enough exercise for weight loss, try uping your activities.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    OK, Stop! Don't Listen to ramblings about starvation mode, fad diets, or anything along those lines. First things first, you have to log everyday! Even Saturday, and Sunday! I gaurentee you ate way more than you thought. You have to pick up some books, and start reading. Educate yourself on a lifestyle switch or it will not work. Put in the effort you want out of it. The one thing I have learned is that everyone views diets, and exercise differentl., You should know that no two people are the same. It takes trail, and error, and stop thinking it is an instantaneous thing! One week is no time at all! Did you gain all this weight in one week? No of course not! It takes longer to lose it than it did to put it on. There will be a ton of hiccups on the way. Don't feel guilty your not losing, or OMG I had that piece of cake! Just accept your on the good path and do the work!
    By the way no need to drink the pool. Drink half your body weight in ounces a day. You may want to go to your doctor, and have them do a basic thyroid test, and basic blood work first to make sure you are not having another issue that you will need to take into consideration with your weightloss plan. Then see a nutritionist or trainer for one or two sessions to get some basics down.
    If nothing else, read! Educate yourself on new ideas, and basic health at least three time a week. you will start to make healthier choice strictly from gaining the knowledge!

I do think your calorie intake is way too low, unless you are a vegan. Look in to increasing that.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    More calories! If your goal is set by MFP then eat back ALL your calories and make sure you are getting enough water and sleeping enough. Another suggestion as there is no possible way you are getting enough micronutrients is to take a multivitamin and increase your protein to .5-1g per goal weight lb and keep your fats moderate (20-30% in your macros on your goals page).

I know that's a lot crammed into a small paragraph but really the bottom line is that you want to make sure you are staying healthy, are eating enough and are getting all you need from your food and vitamins for healthy body function and proper weight loss.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Eat more food.........:smile:

Keep playing with your little guy........:laugh:

Just take one day at a time and before you know it.............:drinker:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago, so I know it hasn't been long. The only days I didn't log were Saturday and Sunday. We had a wedding and went out to eat twice on Sunday. My current weight is 165 and I want to be down to 120. I really want to lose about 2-3lbs a week.

It's been a week....

One week...

You have to give this some time, and you have to be consistent. You will be lucky to lose 2 lbs a week. The best way is to approach the weight loss slowly using about 20% deficit in calories. Log everything. Log the wedding. Log the eating out. Guess if you have to.

800-900 doesn't sound like enough. Sure, you can lose weight, but you don't need such a large deficit to do it, and generally everyone here will tell you very low calories is a terrible idea for a lot of reasons.

Be patient, you got this.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago, so I know it hasn't been long. The only days I didn't log were Saturday and Sunday. We had a wedding and went out to eat twice on Sunday. My current weight is 165 and I want to be down to 120. I really want to lose about 2-3lbs a week.

1st: You won't be able to lose 2-3lbs a week. Sorry, it just isn't possible. You don't have much to lose - set your MFP settings to losing 1lb a week and eat back the calories you burned in exercise. You aren't eating enough. 800-900 calories a day isn't enough for a child, let alone you.
    2nd: Patience. It's only been a week. It took me 2 full years to lose 45 pounds. Slow and steady teaches you how to keep it off. Develop new habits so that you'll never have to do this again. I've been at this long enough to know that eating really low and exercising like a fiend won't make the weight come off any faster.
    3rd: Great job changing the way you eat. Reducing soda, refined sugars and processed foods are a great start - but I can tell you from experience NO ONE has the willpower to never eat/drink something like that EVER again. I follow the 80/20 rule, 80% of the time I eat well, 20% I eat things I shouldn't. Keep the portions small, if it fits in your daily calories and isn't affecting your macros, eat it and don't feel bad about it.

^^^^ This! Most of all, be patient! If you were to lose 2-3 lbs a week, you'd have reached your goal in only 10 weeks max. Did the weight go on that fast? I'm thinking not. You've probably heard this before, but slow and steady wins the race. Realistic is half pound to maybe 1 lb per week.
  • lanajaymurphy
    Options
    When I first starting the excitement of "I can't wait to lose weight" took control. I weighed myself everyday, calculated the calories in absolutely everything I ate/drink exercised excessively the whole kit and kaboodle.. I wanted the results but I wanted them then and there almost like with every healthy meal I expected to be losing masses of weight just cause I was doing it right. My point is when you are so fixated on something (at least for me) you don't realise that your expectations are unrealistic and with unrealistic expectations comes a pretty big disappointment when you don't meet the mark. Not to mention (again maybe its just me) if you are constantly ticking over what you're eating/doing a few weeks FEELS LIKE a few months almost like you have been at this forever. Anyway my point is having goals is all well and good but don't let it consume you, think about it when you need to but otherwise get on with life. Personally I think my food choices are pretty cruisey teamed with the exercise it works for me, obviously I have cut the junk and what not but losing weight isn't some magical overnight reaction to changing your lifestyle. DON'T BE DISCOURAGED! think of it as a bonus to getting fit and healthy. Now that I've rambled on a fair bit(sorry) I hope I've said something somewhere in there thats of use to you, dont give up x
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It's taken me 2 years to get from 168 to 126lbs. Be patient, a week is nothing compared to the rest of your life.

My weightloss was slow because I didn't eat enough at first and when I hoped my calories to a more healthy and sustainable goal I inevitably gained weight! That's what will happen eventually because you cannot starve yourself forever!
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh your foods properly. "Cup" is not a good unit of measure.
  • rakens1
    rakens1 Posts: 10
    Options
    You're not eating enough. You haved to have enough food in your system to burn off when you exercise. I was at a standstill at one point and was told to eat some pasta. I had 2 pieces of pizza and salad. I worked out that night and within 2 days I had lost 2 pounds. You can't starve yourself because your body has to have fuel to to burn. 800-900 calories a day is almost like starving yourself. You can do more harm than good by not eating enough. Increase your caloric intake and also add additional reps when you work out. You will begin to see the difference. :blushing:
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You seriously need to have at least 1,200 calories or you won't lose weight. It will happen.
  • dianadelargy
    Options
    I didn't either and got so frustrated. Then I cut my intake down by 100 calories a day and started to see a difference. I'm very short at 4' 10" and have a sedentary job so for me I believe I needed to go down to 1300 calories instead of 1400. Hope this helps.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Unrealistic goals lead to unrealistic behavior which leads to failure.

You should aim to lose 1-2 lbs per week. Eat a net of 1200 calories. Stop being so hard on yourself. Then you will see results.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This sucks. I have completely cut out pop, refined sugars and processed food. I am eating about 800-900 calories a day. I do get outside and play with my little guy everyday and go for walks at least 3-4 times a week. I hate how I look. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. I completely changed the way I eat. I added more protein rich foods and limit carbs and nothing. I am trying to do something similar to the ideal protein diet but I haven't lost a SINGLE pound. I drink so much water everyday that I can fill a pool.

Can anyone help??

First off don't be so hard on yourself and don't give up...patience is the key...but from what I am reading I think you need to up your calories...I remember in the past that I felt if I really limited my calorie intake to about the same amount you are eating that I would lose weight and it didn't budge...now I work out and also upped my calorie intake and I am losing weight...slowly but surely.
    Good luck and keep the faith!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Use MFP the way it was intended. Enter your information honestly and get your 1 lb a week loss calorie goal. Eat it. Eat back exercise calories, at least a portion of them if you worry that they are inflated. Don't try to make a million changes in a week. Small steps really are easiest. Weigh and measure everything, don't cut anything out if you can't live without it forever, and treat yourself the way you would someone else who was in your position. Encourage yourself and be patient.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You're doing something wrong,is the only answer.
    Prob miscalculating calories. I talk to some people on here that swear they eat a X amount of cals then find out they eyeball stuff and don't count some stuff or don't log some things.
    I have A LOT of will power, but I do not log perfectly, and I doubt you do also.
    Stay on top of your measurements, and 900 cals should be good if you're a little person or something