Diet soda

Options

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    pixtaker wrote: »
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

It wasn't the drink that was causing the people to have health issues. It was them having healthy issues, then trying to counteract it with a "diet" soda.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza."

That's funny. One of the reasons I CAN have a double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza is BECAUSE I now get my soda fix from diet instead of regular, in the context of tracking calories.

This is exactly what I do. By getting the diet soda, I am not making my big mac with fries better, I'm just not making it worse.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

Or you can actually look at why aspertame is not so scary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And understand that coorelation =/= causation. Also, can you provide the link to that study?

And the bold is rather funny, because if that was true, I wouldn't have lost weight. @CyberEd312 (another mod) who drinks diet diet pepsi wouldn't have lose 300+ lbs.

Of course, because someone lost weight (and a massive amount of it) while drinking diet soda that completely negates the negative arguments against that poison.

Do you plan on backing up your thoughts with anything credible?

<<---By the way - from 255lbs to 175lbs in 9 months drinking 3 diet sodas per day... Where is that fat storage you mention?

IS that your actual picture in your avatar?
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    jnewell9 wrote: »
    what happens if I swap my water for diet caffein free coke? Am I still getting the adequate hydration?

Since this was the original question, can we agree that pure water is a superior source for hydration and a wholesale swap for diet soda is probably not a great idea? I'm a big fan of everything in moderation, which was a point made several times in this thread.

Personally, I think at best the jury is out on long term effects of diet sweeteners, but the verdict on water is in: It's darn good for you.

The effects of sweeteners have been studied for the past 3 decades or so. I think that's long enough for long term effects to be noticed. Unless you're scared you might get sick at 90 years old from it.

Wasn't long enough for margarine/trans fats. But hey, clearly the overwhelming response is "go for it". Monsanto thanks you all for you advocacy. IMHO, There is something seriously wrong with a message board that can't say water is better than diet soda. That doesn't even pass the giggle test.

Monsanto didn't invent aspartame, but you automatically bringing them into this conversation shows how little you actually know.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options

Or you can actually look at why aspertame is not so scary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And understand that coorelation =/= causation. Also, can you provide the link to that study?

And the bold is rather funny, because if that was true, I wouldn't have lost weight. @CyberEd312 (another mod) who drinks diet diet pepsi wouldn't have lose 300+ lbs.

Of course, because someone lost weight (and a massive amount of it) while drinking diet soda that completely negates the negative arguments against that poison.

<<---By the way - from 255lbs to 175lbs in 9 months drinking 3 diet sodas per day... Where is that fat storage you mention?

Yes. I was 178lbs at 7% at that point. Diet Soda did nothing but help, not hinder me getting there.

Yes. I was 178lbs at 7% at that point. Diet Soda did nothing but help, not hinder me getting there.

I was just going to say it looks like some damn fine work you put in.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Thanks man.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I agree, damn fine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I agree, damn fine.

Back at ya!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of chemicals in it still. It can set you up for more sugar cravings later...but my DIETITIAN drinks 2 cans a week! :) I'd say anything is fine in moderation!

I drink 2+ cans a day and I don't have any sugar cravings. In fact, I almost never crave sweets. I've lost 130lbs. If you want diet soda, drink diet soda. It's mostly water and does indeed count towards your hydration. Your choice.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You are getting hydration, but you may want to consider overall health if you are having it on a regular basis.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/04/heres-more-evidence-diet-sodas-arent-good-for-you.html

Even the scientists acknowledged that more research is necessary before any firm conclusions can be drawn, but there have been numerous studies indicating the possibility of various negative health effects. But make your own decision.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This thread always bugged me and, yeah, I could've maybe handled myself better, but the idea that people would not acknowledge that water was better than diet soda simply blew my mind. So, here's apparently the latest information:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/drink/why-you-should-stop-drinking-diet-soft-drink/news-story/4f54559d32586cddade9c0416c7539e2

It bugged you so much that nearly 2 years later you comeback to it with this article??????

Wow.

Dangit! I missed the fact that it was a zombie resurrection.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    I noticed because I saw posts by myself and couldn't remember posting them.

Which wasn't so surprising when I realised I made them nearly 2 years ago. ;)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you ever replayed an argument over in your head, coming up with the best zingers way after the fact? That's what this resurrection feels like.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    It's said that diet coke can actually make you gain weight because it causes you to be more hungry. I personally love the stuff but limit it to 1-2 per week because of it. Water is always the better choice and flushes out toxins in your body.
    Disagree. Many people can't sense true hunger and eat because of behavior. Water is great for hydration and essential for life, but you're not "flushing" toxins out of your body. The body naturally relieves waste whether you're drinking water or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options

And yet people all over the world who drink it don't have the same issues as Americans. The issue with all the issues you provided above is PEOPLE EAT TO DAMN MUCH to begin with. Diet soda doesn't add calories. Ask any doctor that if they REDUCED significant weight from being obese/very overweight EVEN IF THEY DRANK DIET SODA, would their health improve? Bet they all have the same answer........................and that would be yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png