Diet soda

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My big thing is, i rather have 20 calories for 2 diet sodas than 580 of soda with real sugar. And besides, obesity and genetics play a much greater role specific foods.

And we address the total diet before specific foods.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    pixtaker wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

Or you can actually look at why aspertame is not so scary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And understand that coorelation =/= causation. Also, can you provide the link to that study?

And the bold is rather funny, because if that was true, I wouldn't have lost weight. @CyberEd312 (another mod) who drinks diet diet pepsi wouldn't have lose 300+ lbs.

Of course, because someone lost weight (and a massive amount of it) while drinking diet soda that completely negates the negative arguments against that poison.

Actual scientific studies negate the negative arguments too. ;)

And I offer myself as yet another example of someone who lost and then maintained weight since drinking diet sodas.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar.

You mean they have 4 calories per gram? Because that's my problem with sugary drinks, they have lots of calories.

Oh, right, diet soda is nearly calorie free.

(Ah, I really should read the whole thread first, as DeguelloTex made the same point.)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza."

That's funny. One of the reasons I CAN have a double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza is BECAUSE I now get my soda fix from diet instead of regular, in the context of tracking calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm sorry, but the people saying diet soda is OK to drink are just plain WRONG. Artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain.

"Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza." - from health.com

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.

Just stop it. You bring up the same erroneous points in every thread regarding artificial sweeteners and you have yet to provide one link to a scientific study that backs your claims.

• jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    what happens if I swap my water for diet caffein free coke? Am I still getting the adequate hydration?

Since this was the original question, can we agree that pure water is a superior source for hydration and a wholesale swap for diet soda is probably not a great idea? I'm a big fan of everything in moderation, which was a point made several times in this thread.

Personally, I think at best the jury is out on long term effects of diet sweeteners, but the verdict on water is in: It's darn good for you.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jnewell9 wrote: »
    what happens if I swap my water for diet caffein free coke? Am I still getting the adequate hydration?

Since this was the original question, can we agree that pure water is a superior source for hydration and a wholesale swap for diet soda is probably not a great idea? I'm a big fan of everything in moderation, which was a point made several times in this thread.

Personally, I think at best the jury is out on long term effects of diet sweeteners, but the verdict on water is in: It's darn good for you.

The effects of sweeteners have been studied for the past 3 decades or so. I think that's long enough for long term effects to be noticed. Unless you're scared you might get sick at 90 years old from it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

The effects of sweeteners have been studied for the past 3 decades or so. I think that's long enough for long term effects to be noticed. Unless you're scared you might get sick at 90 years old from it.

Not to mention that aspartame is made of two amino acids that we ingest pretty much every single day anyway. People get worked up over the most ridiculous stuff when they have no clue what they're talking about.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Who in here is advocating completely swapping water for diet soda?

There is nothing wrong with diet soda in moderation.

Also, I don't think I'd necessarily say that water is the "superior source of hydration" for 100% of people, 100% of the time. Sometimes, for my mental health, diet soda is my superior source of hydration. At times, I certainly enjoy a diet root beer much more than I enjoy a glass of water. Perhaps for a marathon-runner, an electrolyte drink is the superior source of hydration.

This stuff is not black and white, and you have to look at a person's overall diet and lifestyle - not just one food/beverage in a vacuum.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Or you can actually look at why aspertame is not so scary: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

And understand that coorelation =/= causation. Also, can you provide the link to that study?

And the bold is rather funny, because if that was true, I wouldn't have lost weight. @CyberEd312 (another mod) who drinks diet diet pepsi wouldn't have lose 300+ lbs.

Of course, because someone lost weight (and a massive amount of it) while drinking diet soda that completely negates the negative arguments against that poison.

Do you plan on backing up your thoughts with anything credible?

<<---By the way - from 255lbs to 175lbs in 9 months drinking 3 diet sodas per day... Where is that fat storage you mention?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Do you plan on backing up your thoughts with anything credible?

<<---By the way - from 255lbs to 175lbs in 9 months drinking 3 diet sodas per day... Where is that fat storage you mention?
    Yeah, if sucralose causes fat retention then it's probably saved my life. I'd have wasted away to nothing rather than losing only 116 pounds while drinking a couple of gallons of Mio water a day.
  • LunaBrighton
    LunaBrighton Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3-5 cans of coke zero per day and was hungry all the time. I'm down to 1 can per day and I'm drinking 6-8 cups of water daily. I'm not hungry all the time but, I think that has more to do with the fact I'm eating foods higher in fiber and protein. If I say I'm never going to drink it again, I feel like I'm setting myself up to binge. Do I think it's bad for me? Yes, but I've made a lot of positive changes for myself over the past few weeks, and they are changes I can live with. Focus on your positives and if enjoying your diet coke is helping you with your diet, drink up.
  • jnewell9
    edited August 2015
    Options

Wasn't long enough for margarine/trans fats. But hey, clearly the overwhelming response is "go for it". Monsanto thanks you all for you advocacy. IMHO, There is something seriously wrong with a message board that can't say water is better than diet soda. That doesn't even pass the giggle test.
  • jnewell9
    Options

Who in here is advocating completely swapping water for diet soda?

There is nothing wrong with diet soda in moderation.

Also, I don't think I'd necessarily say that water is the "superior source of hydration" for 100% of people, 100% of the time. Sometimes, for my mental health, diet soda is my superior source of hydration. At times, I certainly enjoy a diet root beer much more than I enjoy a glass of water. Perhaps for a marathon-runner, an electrolyte drink is the superior source of hydration.

This stuff is not black and white, and you have to look at a person's overall diet and lifestyle - not just one food/beverage in a vacuum.

It was the posters original question.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A rational way to understand the OP's question is that she means occasionally having some diet soda instead of water.

I suppose if you are someone given to extremes you would assume she meant drinking only diet soda, never water, but I think that's silly, so won't insult her by assuming that's what she's saying unless she specifically clarifies.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Wasn't long enough for margarine/trans fats. But hey, clearly the overwhelming response is "go for it". Monsanto thanks you all for you advocacy. IMHO, There is something seriously wrong with a message board that can't say water is better than diet soda. That doesn't even pass the giggle test.
    But turning it into a referendum on Monsanto does pass the giggle test? Laughably wrong.

• jnewell9
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    A rational way to understand the OP's question is that she means occasionally having some diet soda instead of water.

I suppose if you are someone given to extremes you would assume she meant drinking only diet soda, never water, but I think that's silly, so won't insult her by assuming that's what she's saying unless she specifically clarifies.

I hope you're right. Swap the term "water" for anything else and you would assume a wholesale swap.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I will get my tinfoil hat ready.

Seriously, though, the fact that many of the posters here can answer OP's question comprehensively rather than with a black-and-white, fear mongering response, says a lot about their intelligence.